Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 47 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 46 47
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I know Oregon is making serious bank from pot sales. Most of you also know that Oregon seems to have lost it's moral compass, so it's no surprise that leadership condones pot use, both for the money and for the "in your face" to authority in general that it represents. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but the 60's generation is now in charge, so what do you expect society to look like under their leadership?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
Mind altering substances that contribute to about 90% of societies crime problems really can't be compared to candy.

Except on the fire.

It's more the money from blackmarket prices caused by laws against the product that cause most of the crime.
It's all about the money on both sides of the isle.

The fact that weed is another lever for greed and corruption to entangle itself in society is good enough reason for me to vote against it.
\]
Seems some can't understand that the corruption and greed is a direct result of laws against it.. Duh!

Oregon's been fuqed up a long time nothing new here

Suffrage and temperance if you please...

The fight for woman suffrage began in Oregon just following the Civil War and reached its height in the early 1900s during the Progressive Era. The movement for women’s equality through voting rights was achieved with a victorious campaign in 1912. During the Progressive Era in American history, from about 1890 to 1920, many other groups rose up to fight against perceived social injustices and for protection of the people. These groups sought to effect change in their communities locally and then in the nation and world. Those who supported both suffrage and temperance in Oregon included many members of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union (W.C.T.U.) and the Anti-saloon League.

The temperance movement was a move to apply the moral principle of living with moderation and self-control to the issue of alcohol consumption. Many temperance organizations led the campaign for prohibition of alcohol during this period. Like the woman suffrage movement, it was organized on local, state, regional, national, and international levels. Many of the woman suffrage campaign leaders supported temperance and vice versa. The fifth Oregon W.C.T.U. president Mrs. Lucia H. Faxon Additon believed that the arrogance of man had denied woman freedom and equality before the law. However,

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There are a lot of dumb ass laws in this country.

Toward the top of that heap is the outlawing of marijuana.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Seems some can't understand that the corruption and greed is a direct result of laws against it.. Duh!

That's like saying because murder is illegal I can't help myself, I have to go kill someone! The law is responsible for my urges!

How about if the govt dis-incentivized murder? Would I think twice about doing it then? Yes, that's exactly what they've done, for the good of society. Not taking into account how bad I want to kill somebody. So my individual loss of freedom was deemed acceptable for the overall good of society.

Now, inject drug abuse in place of murder. The govt could choose to make it unattractive enough that my desire to participate would dwindle in proportion to the consequences.

Or, they could glamorize and legalize it.

Easy choice.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
There are a lot of dumb ass laws in this country.

Toward the top of that heap is the outlawing of marijuana.
Dave

Insightful. And compelling.

LOL
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Exactly right Ricky.The solution has never been,to make people do right.Love,joy,peace,goodness,meekness,gentleness,and self control,cannot be reached by forced compliance.

Like it or not, anyone in authority over you, whether a parent or a govt, makes choices about what they discourage, encourage, condone, punish. My position is that the govt should dis-incentivize drug abuse and hold people accountable for the choices they make. Also part of the program might be to reward chronic offenders for making good choices and staying clean for a period of time.

If govt under Barrack Obama was responsible for so many ills in society, like the nonsense from BLM et all, then why can't it be said equally that the govt can be an agent for positive change? Why can't the govt put in place policies that reward right choices and discourage poor ones?

The obvious answer is they can.

Using your parent analogy,the government is an extremely bad parent. A good parent does punish but also teaches and provides a good example. A good parent doesn't just make punishment worse for uncorrected behavior.

What kind of parent would I be if I had no positive contact with my children but only proclaimed the law and dealt out capital punishment for any infringement against that law,even to the extent of tying my kids to a post and beating them with a stick? That seems to be your answer.

Do you just beat a kid worse that won't obey? Isn't it a better solution to try to help that kid correct his behavior by showing him how it hurts him and giving him a way to refocus his efforts in a more positive direction?

I'm not saying that punishment isn't part of a solution, but it isn't all of the solution.Stricter laws and worse punishment isn't the solution. Punishment alone won't work with a misbehaving child,and it won't work with a misbehaving society.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're more than welcome to hold your opinions about pot or any other matter but I think we disagree quite a bit on the role of government.

You seem to want it to incentivize this or discourage that, my expectation is for the government to stay the hell out of my life as much as possible, and to let me and everybody else make our own choices. Only when my or others' choices directly damage someone else would I expect government to step in. I highlight "directly" since "indirectly" is the precipice of a 90 degree slope. Someone eating too much is indirectly hurting me by raising the cost of health care and insurance rates. Someone breathing oxygen is indirectly hurting me by taking it away from me... argumentum absurdum to be sure but "indirectly" quickly degrades into justifying the absurd. And that's not speculation given the outlawing of Big Gulps in NY or wherever it was fer cryin' out loud.

I want government to step in when someone endangers me directly by driving under the influence of any ability impairing substance. I want the government to set national standards so an ounce in Oregon weighs the same as an ounce in Florida, inadvertent drug reference notwithstanding.

But directing me to lead a better life? Better according to who?

Organize the national defense, regulate interstate commerce so one state doesn't impose border tariffs on another and a few other things. But keep the moralizing out of it.

Every government that ever tried to impose morality on its citizens has failed in the attempt and only made whatever situation they were trying to cure far worse.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

That's like saying because murder is illegal I can't help myself, I have to go kill someone! The law is responsible for my urges!

How about if the govt dis-incentivized murder? Would I think twice about doing it then? Yes, that's exactly what they've done, for the good of society. Not taking into account how bad I want to kill somebody. So my individual loss of freedom was deemed acceptable for the overall good of society.

Now, inject drug abuse in place of murder. The govt could choose to make it unattractive enough that my desire to participate would dwindle in proportion to the consequences.

Or, they could glamorize and legalize it.

Easy choice.

Bad argument. The reason you don't go around killing people,is because you know it's wrong,not because you're afraid of what the government will do if you get caught.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
It's a multi-billion dollar expenditure each year to arrest and jail people "breaking" the law regarding the use of marijuana.

I am 100% for decriminalizing this and spending that money on infrastructure.Here in TN, the governor wants to add a gas tax to pay for transportation capital improvements.

let the pothead out of jail and leave the gas tax alone.

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 03/11/17.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Mind altering substances that contribute to about 90% of societies crime problems really can't be compared to candy.

Except on the fire.

Where did you get that weed statistic ?, 90% of crime is related to weed use ? wtf

When I was very young, school taught us that heroin/pills were hard drugs, and weed was a soft drug...soft being the key word.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

Except on the fire.

Where did you get that weed statistic ?, 90% of crime is related to weed use ? wtf

When I was very young, school taught us that heroin/pills were hard drugs, and weed was a soft drug...soft being the key word.

He pulled it right out of his ass.! Sugar(candy) related Diabetes [b][color:#3333FF]killed 75,000[/color][/b] people in 2014. How many died of Cannabis?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The reason you don't go around killing people,is because you know it's wrong,not because you're afraid of what the government will do if you get caught.

Actually, the consequences of my behavior are strong incentives to stay on the straight and narrow. Didn't you get spanked as a kid? I did. I've also been thrown in jail and stood before a judge to explain myself. Whether caught by the law or caught by God, you're caught just the same and if you're smart you learn from your screwups and don't repeat them. I'd love to screw up all the time and kick some lilly white asses, but the consequences keep me from it. i don't think I'm too different than a lot of people.

To suggest a right and a wrong, there has to be an ultimate authority. Here on earth it's govt.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

He pulled it right out of his ass.!

Mind altering substances. Read it slowly.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
A key point left out of most of these discussions is where the proceeds from marijuana sales go. Prohibition did nothing to stop the sale of pot. It will always be here. , and money will be made off it. Should the proceeds continue to go to the cartels, or......

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/09/denver-fbi-youth-program-funded-pot-taxes/

I know Oregon is making serious bank from pot sales. Most of you also know that Oregon seems to have lost it's moral compass, so it's no surprise that leadership condones pot use, both for the money and for the "in your face" to authority in general that it represents. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but the 60's generation is now in charge, so what do you expect society to look like under their leadership?

So you're in favor of continuing to fund the cartels.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

You seem to want it to incentivize this or discourage that, my expectation is for the government to stay the hell out of my life as much as possible, and to let me and everybody else make our own choices.

Bible thumpers have a hard time comprehending that.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The reason you don't go around killing people,is because you know it's wrong,not because you're afraid of what the government will do if you get caught.

Actually, the consequences of my behavior are strong incentives to stay on the straight and narrow. Didn't you get spanked as a kid? I did. I've also been thrown in jail and stood before a judge to explain myself. Whether caught by the law or caught by God, you're caught just the same and if you're smart you learn from your screwups and don't repeat them. I'd love to screw up all the time and kick some lilly white asses, but the consequences keep me from it. i don't think I'm too different than a lot of people.

To suggest a right and a wrong, there has to be an ultimate authority. Here on earth it's govt.

Sorry but I disagree. I don't kill people because I choose not to,not because I'm afraid I'll get caught. I could figure out ways to not get caught. Same thing with using Pot.I quit because I decided it was the wrong thing for me to do,not because I was afraid of getting caught.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

^^^This is what a low IQ looks like. ^^^

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

You seem to want it to incentivize this or discourage that, my expectation is for the government to stay the hell out of my life as much as possible, and to let me and everybody else make our own choices.

Bible thumpers have a hard time comprehending that.

Dave

I guess that depends on what you call a Bible thumper. I'm pro Bible as much as anyone,but I agree with Jim.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a classic ploy of the left, framing the question so that there is no objective way to handle it. Come on man give me a break.

You know the thing I love about Trump? He's all about personal accountability. He expects alot of his people. He hasn't let his children slide and they've turned out great by all accounts. Even Hillary complimented them.

All this apologist crap I see here, not gunna fly. I don't buy it, and the bad news for all of you, Trump ain't gunna buy it either. At least I hope he doesn't cave on drugs.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I don't much care anymore, provided they come up with a reliable test for determining the level of "intoxication" so employers and accident victims have some basis to protect themselves and recover damages from miscreants.

You're operating under the false assumption that MJ use is in some way harmful. Drug abuse is a victimless crime, I read that here.

Pretty much the same as booze or prescription drugs: victimless until some hoser rams his car into somebody while under the influence (or texting, or getting his candle waxed, etc, etc).

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 13 of 47 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 46 47

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,519
Posts18,509,632
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.