Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Mountain out of a molehill. Gorsuch is on the court. We won. Deep breath.

Some of us simply underestimated the resistance and complexity. There is still a lot of winning going on. hiliary is looking even worse.

What good is Gorsuch if trumpco starts wars in Syria and N. Korea and drives the world economy into meltdown. The last time it took less than 7 years to do it and the US was running $10 trillion in fed debt. We're at $20 trillion and counting today.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It aint a war it's a message.

Putins boy Assad got slapped with Trumps USA tattooed dick and the fat little Nork might be next, with China's blessing.

Not tired of winning yet.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

David Horowitz, Saul Alinsky and every woman I've ever argued with.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Mountain out of a molehill. Gorsuch is on the court. We won. Deep breath.

Some of us simply underestimated the resistance and complexity. There is still a lot of winning going on. hiliary is looking even worse.

What good is Gorsuch if trumpco starts wars in Syria and N. Korea and drives the world economy into meltdown. The last time it took less than 7 years to do it and the US was running $10 trillion in fed debt. We're at $20 trillion and counting today.

With all due respect, IMO, you are a bit ahead of yourself

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And even the plausibility of what you are posting is well, in the realm of fantasy. And I did quote my post above and said NOTHING about FB, but since (sic) you claim to be lazy, here is my take on it AGAIN: "I supported this action because it served as a mechanism to put our prestige as the world's only superpower that we act when and how we please in support of OUR national interest and our national interest had NOTHING to do with the dead kids, it was all about sending a message. I'll say it again: NO NATION BUILDING. Now it begs the next question, is going "in" to eradicate ISIS in the national interest? That's a fair question."

Last edited by jorgeI; 04/11/17.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ISIS is done despite Zero and Hillary.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you. I guess I need to be more literal and quit using metaphors, but that's beside the point.

So, now that we're on friendly terms again, what do you think of the article opinion below? I don't agree with every point and think some it was premature, but I can see Trump doing this for his own ends while still satisfying the Israel/neo-con folks - to which you and I will just have to politely (I hope) continue to disagree on Israel's role in our government.

And getting back to the subject of this post, I have not lost faith in Mr. Trump, but I am wondering if he is still playing 3d chess in our world of chutes and ladders or whether he really is succumbing to something else.

The Syrian Air Base Attack

As I blogged yesterday, the claim that Assad ordered a chemical attack on his own people in the past week doesn’t pass my sniff test. For Assad to order a gas attack now – while his side is finally winning – he would have to be willing to risk his life and his regime for no real military advantage. I’m not buying that.

But let’s say the world believes Assad or a rogue general under his command gassed his own people. What’s an American President to do? If Trump does nothing, he appears weak, and it invites mischief from other countries. But if he launches 59 Tomahawk missiles at a Syrian military air base base within a few days, which he did, the U.S. gets several benefits at low cost:

1. President Trump just solved for the allegation that he is Putin’s puppet. He doesn’t look like Putin’s puppet today. And that was Trump’s biggest problem, which made it America’s problem too. No one wants a president who is under a cloud of suspicion about Russian influence.

2. President Trump solved (partly) for the allegation that he is incompetent. You can hate this military action, but even Trump’s critics will call it measured and rational. Like it or not, President Trump’s credibility is likely to rise because of this, if not his popularity. Successful military action does that for presidents.

3. President Trump just set the table for his conversations with China about North Korea. Does China doubt Trump will take care of the problem in China’s own backyard if they don’t take care of it themselves? That negotiation just got easier.

4. Iran might be feeling a bit more flexible when it’s time to talk about their nuclear program.

5. Trump’s plan of a Syrian Safe Zone requires dominating the Syrian Air Force for security. That just got easier.

6. After ISIS is sufficiently beaten-back, the Syrian government will need to negotiate with the remaining entities in Syria to form a lasting peace of some sort that keeps would-be refugees in place. Syria’s government just got more flexible. It probably wants to keep the rest of its military.

7. Israel is safer whenever an adversary’s air power is degraded.

On the risk side of the equation, we have the possibility of getting into war with Russia. I’d put those odds at roughly zero in this case because obviously the U.S. warned Russia about the attack. That means we knew their reaction before we attacked. And it was a measured response of the type Putin probably respects. I expect Russia to complain a lot but continue to partner with the U.S. against ISIS.

If it turns out that the sarin gas attack that sparked this military action didn’t come from Assad, it doesn’t much matter. President Trump will bank all of the benefits above even if the attack turns out to be a hoax. We know Assad had some chemical weapons at one point, and probably used them. No one will be crying for Assad if the attack was unnecessary. And realistically, the public will never be 100% sure who was behind the attack.

I doubt this is the first step in a larger plan for war to depose Assad. But if Assad thinks it might be, we have a stronger position over there.

I’m not pro-war, so this military action alarms me the same way it alarms most people. But objectively speaking, the risk-reward ratio for this attack on Syria’s air field was exceptionally good. You rarely see so many benefits arise from one limited military action.

I thought President Trump would hold off on military action in the service of regime change. That still seems to be the case. But once our intelligence services traced the plane that allegedly dropped the gas back to a specific air base, it opened the option that Trump took. I didn’t realize that our military knows what every aircraft in Syria is doing at all times. That’s impressive, bordering on hard-to-believe.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by Bristoe
This, from the comment section, sums it up pretty well in my opinion.

A few points about Trump that have become increasingly clear:
- Trump has no real views or policies. He just has attitudes and infatuations. His flip-flop on Syria was a sincere change in attitude brought on by a surge of emotion. He is not mendacious and treacherous. Rather, he is fickle and superficial. I don’t say this to excuse but to describe him. What he did was disgusting.
- Trump is in over his head. His incredible ability to manipulate the media and put on a good show won him the White House – but it looks like despite his vaunted business executive experience, he is having trouble getting things done. His travel ban got shut down by the judges. His healthcare reform got shot down by his own party. His Russian rapprochement is in tatters. One of his key picks – Flynn – was thrown out like a dog; and his key adviser Bannon appears to be on the way out.
- Trump is making things up as he goes along. Just as he has attitudes rather than principles, so does he have slogans rather than plans. Since making slogans is easy but realizing plans is hard, we will begin to see him deviate further and further from his slogans in order to achieve any concrete goals.

That is likely closer to the truth than many will admit.

But then I figured that going in. No reason to get all chicken little over some cruise missiles launched at a goat pen somewhere in the desert.

Trump is far from perfect, but he was by far the best choice.

+1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The first job of every tyrant or bureaucrat is to remain in power. If they think too small too bad for them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
The notion that Israel prefers a Syria run by ISIS and that radicalization of Syria is in Israels best interest is beyond stupid. I do believe that getting rid of Assad is not a good idea and our track record of replacing deposed despots in the Middle East is terrible. I'm of the mindset that there's many millions of muslims that need to die before there'll be anything resembling peace in the Middle East and in the world. We're less than 2 decades into the new 100 year war and it'll get uglier before it gets better.
http://news.antiwar.com/2016/06/21/israeli-intel-chief-we-dont-want-isis-defeated-in-syria/
Aces??

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will hold to my posit, it was a message to not only the Syrians, but the NORKs specifically. The Russians are the only ones that could have done this besides the Syrians and even they are not that stupid. Even if the attack was "staged" which I do not for a moment believe as Serin Gas use was confirmed by the Turks, and if it served as the vehicle to send a message, I'm all for it. Why? because the whole world will now wonder how Trump will react if you piss him off. It still begs the question though, what do we do about ISIS, let them continue to take over Europe, exacerbate the refugee crisis, etc? I don't have an answer, but to me military option, complete annihilation of an enemy down to salting the earth is what I propose. The arabs were not hard to control, the Brits and French did it without too much trouble. Divide them along tribal lines, keep them in-fighting thus removing most semblances of a nation state and exploit their resources.

As far as the airplane ID goes, pretty simple really. Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) is your friend, I can almost guarantee that between our overhead assets and what the Israelis can gather up, not only do we know what kind of jet is flying, but call signs, squadrons and even individuals from their radio traffic. That strike was a thing of beauty, we successfully destroyed 20% of their crappy Russian inventory. I will be shocked if Trump takes any kind of action to unseat Assad with men on the ground. Now as far as ISIS, I would support it 100%. With an exit strategy of course.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
It still begs the question though, what do we do about ISIS,

Apparently, America is going to assist radical Islam by continuing to create failed states in the Middle East until a Caliphate is established that covers the entire region.

*Then* America will get to have a war against the whole bunch,....by itself,....while it's 30 trillion dollars in debt and after its manufacturing capability has been gutted.

Cui bono?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Apparently, America is going to assist radical Islam by continuing to create failed states in the Middle East until a Caliphate is established that covers the entire region.

*Then* America will get to have a war against the whole bunch,....by itself,....while it's 30 trillion dollars in debt and after its manufacturing capability has been gutted.

Cui bono?

A complete dodge of the question. As far as the strike went, WE cue bono.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Cui bono?

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
[Linked Image]

Pissing off anti-Semites = WINNING

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

Cui bono?

A complete dodge of the question. As far as the strike went, WE cue bono.

Bullshit. There's not one single, solitary benefit to be had by America from continuing to participate in the Middle East wars.

America's participation there has only served to make an even bigger mess of the place and cost this country trillions of dollars,.....as Trump pointed out many, many times during his campaign.

I realize that old school conservatives are notorious warmongers. It's their calling card.

But to have Trump run on the platform that he did and then to start blowing hell out of Syria barely 3 months into his Presidency is a betrayal of epic proportions,.... Regardless of how the warmonger old school conservatives try to rationalize it.

Trump isn't what he ran as,...at *all*.

Only time will tell how big of a disaster he turns out to be.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Pissing off anti-Semites = WINNING

Israeli Intel Chief: We Don’t Want ISIS Defeated in Syria

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...*Then* America will get to have a war against the whole bunch,....by itself,....while it's 30 trillion dollars in debt and after its manufacturing capability has been gutted...

Either someone has hacked your account or you have lost your good sense.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,396
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.