Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 63 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 62 63
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by IDMilton
Regarding the RRA Varmint, my uncle and a cousin both own them and theirs shoot great, too.

I also found this thread very interesting when I found it shortly after it started. I also found it VERY frustrating! I have a 16 inch lightweight Syrac upper that shoots 77 MK and 8208 well. I have shot many 5 shot groups in the .5s. So when the challenge started and I saw some of the targets, I thought I would do well in the rankings. By the time I was done, I felt humbled!

After seeing the thread I headed to the range and shot two 10 round groups. They both had nice clusters, but a "flier" or two opened them up to a little over an inch. I knuckled down and tried again with the same results. I "knew" I had a half inch set-up, so I thought it must have been the little breeze and gave up for the day. Latter, I tried again with the same results. So I got really anal with my loads. Neck-turned, weighed, uniformed, de-burred, bullets seated less than .001 run out, etc. Still no difference.

So I started load work up over. 50 and 60 Vmax, 50 Sierra, 69 MK, 75 Hornady BTSP and Amax and 73 ELD M and 77 CC.8208, tac, Varget, and H4895, CCI 400, 450, and my usual Rem 7.5. All sorts of seating depths and I did OCW and ladder testing. I was at the range shooting on a cement bench with wind flags out. Just to check the loads I shot over a heavy rest instead of my usual bipod. I tried pads under the bipod. I tried free recoil and different rear bags. I switched scopes. I finally thought it must be the light weight barrel. So I bought a new gun.

This one had 170 rounds on it when I got it and a Rock Creek 18 inch medium weight (SPR?) barrel on it. It had the SSA-E trigger. (First rifle had SSA). Both have the Wylde chamber. I spent A LOT of time at the range. It is a good thing the saying "die trying" isn't literal in this case. I can shoot my heavy Krieger barrelled 308 10 under an inch, so I thought if I just kept working at it, I'd find a load that would do it consistently in one of the ARs.

To summarize, I never did. I get CLOSE, but I can't do it "all day long". And I never got around to taking pictures and posting them because I was waiting for the two ten round groups under an inch. My guns shoot great clusters, but somewhere in there, I mess it up.! I stopped short of getting a heavy barrel. That way I don't need to lug it around for gophers, and I can still blame this on the guns!

Damn, sounds like it may be the rifle???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The judging is never over...

Post em up.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
The judging is never over...

Post em up.

My last score was better, but shot with my buddies rifle. I think mine is probably more accurate, I just need more trigger time with it. Wind was howling today too. Now I'm starting to make excuses.. Ha ha.. I'll get back after a bit... Waiting on photobucket... sick

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Damn that sounds good. Tex, were those handloads or military/commercial?

The rifle is a Palmetto State KS-47, which is basically an AR in 7.62x39 that accepts AK magazines. The loads were some of the "prototype" Nosler 123gr Ballistic Tips that they sold in the pro shop, for a while. 1680 powder and new Lapua brass. Not exactly Commie surplus smile I had originally loaded them for my Ruger #1, to a longer OAL, then reseated them to fit in the AK mags. With the Ruger's 22" barrel they were running about 2550 fps. I shot a small sow in the shoulder with it and the bullet expanded fiercely. A little bit frangible but would work well on two or four legged varmints. I also shot some Win commercial loads with 123 gr softpoints. They were not quite as accurate, but the wind was blowing hard but they still did pretty well.

The KS-47 has a nitrided 16" barrel, and seems to be a good one. I almost hate to run steel Commie surplus ammo in it. Need to round up a better trigger, maybe even a Geissele.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds cool Tex..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Alright, loaded up some rounds last night. Here's what they consisted of:

69gr. sierra match
25gr. RL15
New R-P Brass that I had already primed with CCI 400's
OAL: 2.260"

As much as I know about the rifle is this:

Rogue Defense built in house at Curts shooters supply in Milwaukie Oregon
18" 1 in 7 twist barrel, rifle length gas system. Seems to be a medium wt. barrel. I don't know for sure. Chrome lined according to original owner
200 rounds down the barrel when I bought it, Zeiss Terra 3-9x42mm mounted in a Burris P.E.P.R . Magpul ACS butt stock, Not sure on the handguard, something lightweight and key mod (as you can see), but very comfortable.
Ambi safety that I installed, polished sear a bit on the BCM trigger, while I had it out. Seems like a pretty good trigger for a cheap one... I still need to get used to it though. Keep in mind, I have not really worked up a load for this rifle, however I did try 24gr, 24.3gr. 24.7gr. and 25gr. of RL15 with these bullets and the 25gr. charge shot the best 3 shot group, so I went with it for the 2 10 shot groups. I also need to get a better sandbag set-up, more suitable for an AR. Keep in mind, this is my first AR!!! I'm pretty damn happy with it thus far. No problems on the range out of 40 or so rounds I fired off today. Seems like she wants to shoot. The weirdest thing I noticed was I shot a better group (the one on the right) while aiming at the center of the square and just firing them off, unlike the first 10 shot group where I tried to shoot a round a minute at a nice easy pace. I tried to wait the wind out too, but that was hopeless. It was blowing and gusting upwards of 25 mph today. When it starts rocking my target stand back and forth it is just too windy to shoot IMHO... Here's some pics from the day:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not impressive shooting by any means, but the rifle is fully capable. I feel like the weak link in the whole mix is ME. I couldn't be more happy with the rifle though. I'll work up some good loads with once fired brass and try a few other different types of bullets and then maybe try this again. However, a less windy day and the right bags, may just do the trick. Would you guys suggest maybe bumping up the charge wt. a little bit more?? The groups shrank as I neared the top end...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good shooting!

I found 25.5 gr of RL-15 to be the most accurate in my 18", 1:8 barrel with 69 gr. SMK's.

You might find that 10 or 20 round mags are a better fit when shooting off bags.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks. Yes, I was wishing I had some shorter (less capacity) mags today: I'm putting that on my list of things to get!!!! Thanks for the load info too. What do you guys think of the 75gr. Hornady pills. The original owner said this rifle really likes them. I guess he was using superformance 75gr. BTHP match loads in it and shooting sub moa groups. I don't want to spend that much on factory ammo though and would rather load my own. By the way, I like that battle born flag too. I was born in NV and grew up there... Miss the jack rabbit hunting too!!!! Going to see my folks in a couple weeks and spend some time in Tahoe and Reno... wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't do extensive testing with the Hornady 75 gr. BTHP bullets because the SMK's shot better for me.
The only powder I tested them with was Varget and I found accuracy nodes at 23.5 gr. and 25 gr.

I wish I was up by Reno. It hit 100* today here in Henderson.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn, that's too damn HOT!!!!!! One of the things I hated about Nevada... grin Thanks for the info man. Much appreciated..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Alright, loaded up some rounds last night. Here's what they consisted of:

69gr. sierra match
25gr. RL15
New R-P Brass that I had already primed with CCI 400's
OAL: 2.260"

As much as I know about the rifle is this:

Rogue Defense built in house at Curts shooters supply in Milwaukie Oregon
18" 1 in 7 twist barrel, rifle length gas system. Seems to be a medium wt. barrel. I don't know for sure. Chrome lined according to original owner
200 rounds down the barrel when I bought it, Zeiss Terra 3-9x42mm mounted in a Burris P.E.P.R . Magpul ACS butt stock, Not sure on the handguard, something lightweight and key mod (as you can see), but very comfortable.
Ambi safety that I installed, polished sear a bit on the BCM trigger, while I had it out. Seems like a pretty good trigger for a cheap one... I still need to get used to it though. Keep in mind, I have not really worked up a load for this rifle, however I did try 24gr, 24.3gr. 24.7gr. and 25gr. of RL15 with these bullets and the 25gr. charge shot the best 3 shot group, so I went with it for the 2 10 shot groups. I also need to get a better sandbag set-up, more suitable for an AR. Keep in mind, this is my first AR!!! I'm pretty damn happy with it thus far. No problems on the range out of 40 or so rounds I fired off today. Seems like she wants to shoot. The weirdest thing I noticed was I shot a better group (the one on the right) while aiming at the center of the square and just firing them off, unlike the first 10 shot group where I tried to shoot a round a minute at a nice easy pace. I tried to wait the wind out too, but that was hopeless. It was blowing and gusting upwards of 25 mph today. When it starts rocking my target stand back and forth it is just too windy to shoot IMHO... Here's some pics from the day:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not impressive shooting by any means, but the rifle is fully capable. I feel like the weak link in the whole mix is ME. I couldn't be more happy with the rifle though. I'll work up some good loads with once fired brass and try a few other different types of bullets and then maybe try this again. However, a less windy day and the right bags, may just do the trick. Would you guys suggest maybe bumping up the charge wt. a little bit more?? The groups shrank as I neared the top end...

Looks like you cobbled together a nice one, bsa! Congrats.

You are now officially afflicted. grin

The Terra doesn't look bad on it, either!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks local dirt. I'm pretty happy with this one..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, since no one has previously entered a 7.62x39, I give you a PSA KS-47. Load is the Nosler 123gr Ballistic Tip, over 28gr of 1680, in Lapua brass. I did not chrono them, but they run about 2550 out of a 22" Ruger #1. OAL 2.21", after I reseated the bullets to fit in an AK magazine.

The rifle has a mil-spec trigger and a A2 flash hider, so I think further development would improve it.Nevertheless, it did pretty well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One group at 1.67, including a single flier, and another group at 1.34

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wow! I just saw they had that gun on sale this weekend, not what I needed to see today.

Good shooting!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
think my biggest gripe is the magazine well is quite a tight fit. Magpuls, and steel surplus mags fit, but some other brands of plastic mags either don't fit or need to be ground down to fit. Hard to do quick mags changes, if one was serious about using it for defense. I also need to shoot a variety of ammo in it, to confirm reliability.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice tex.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nice shooting yall, nothing wrong with those setups at all.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice shooting, tex. I'd be willing to bet a better trigger would easily put you under 1.0".

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Okay, since no one has previously entered a 7.62x39, I give you a PSA KS-47. Load is the Nosler 123gr Ballistic Tip, over 28gr of 1680, in Lapua brass. I did not chrono them, but they run about 2550 out of a 22" Ruger #1. OAL 2.21", after I reseated the bullets to fit in an AK magazine.

Nice shootin!

If/when you get a chance, please do chrono those from your AR; 7.62x39 ballistic info from the AR platform is pretty sparse still so it would be a useful data point.

Page 32 of 63 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.