Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had no intention on getting on the Creedmoor bandwagon. I figured I had the bases pretty well covered with what I already had. But, when Darick at Whitakers advertised those Howa Lightnings for $299, I kinda sorta changed my mind. I made the hour drive north and bought one, figuring I'd stick it in the back of the safe for a winter project. Like a kid with a dollar burning a hole in his pocket, I couldn't wait till winter.

I thought I had a good scope somewhere to put on it, but couldn't find it. I didn't want to take one off a rifle, and didn't want to go and take back one I loaned out. So, looking around in the scope drawer, I came up with a choice between a Weaver 2X10X38 Japan made, or a Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5X10. The Simmons was actually the better looking glass, so I put it on, rather than order another scope and have to wait on it. I figured even a cheap scope would tell me how good the rifle would shoot.

I don't shoot factory ammo, preferring instead to make my own. I had to be close to Clarksville TN this afternoon, so I went by MidSouth and picked up some brass and dies. I had some 120 grain Sierra Matchkings, and figured they'd be good enough to zero the rifle in with. I printed off Hogdon's reloading info for the 6.5, and decided to go with W760 powder, as I had a little bit left in a can and wanted to use it up. I loaded 42.5 grains, CCI primers, and Hornady brass. After boresighting, it took 2 shots to zero at 25 yards. My first 100 yard 3 shot group went into .3950. I adjusted the scope, and fired another 3 shot group, .7260 on that one. Sorry, no pics. Can't seem to figure out how to on here.

My only complaint was how the barrel heated up so fast. I know with some different bullets and powder combinations, this rifle will be a shooter. I admit to being very impressed. The trigger pull is very good. The stock sucks, but what do expect on a 300 dollar rifle. I can't wait to put a better scope on, and try some more loads at a longer distance.

Last edited by JamesJr; 06/20/17.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 3-shot group of .3950" That sucks. What do you think the problem is? wink

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
2 thoughts:

1. Those WTCs were pretty good scopes and when Natchez was selling the 3.5-10x40s for $60 they were a pretty good buy too.

2. The stocks do suck, but there are frequently Vanguard2 take-off stock available for under $100 on eBay, or if you don't mind the increase in weight there are always a few options from Boyds, or if you like walnut and are willing to spend a little more $$, GPC may still have some of the S&W 1500 SA stocks for sale for between $140 and $170.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Glad it worked out!

They're hard to beat for the money and they really are a bargain for what you get. We go through tons of those 1500's before deer season. In terms of number of bolt action centerfire rifles sold, they rank 3rd with us. Tikka T3 series is number 1, the Ruger American's are second and the Howa's are third (combining the Lightning 1500's with the mini actions).

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
A 3-shot group of .3950" That sucks. What do you think the problem is? wink

Well, it coulda been .3850....lol. Seriously though, I was somewhat shocked, as I wasn't expecting to do anything other than just zero the scope. I've researched 6.5 Creedmoor reloading data that others have posted quite a bit, and W760 powder was never mentioned in any of them. I use it in my 243's almost exclusively, and I turn out some very accurate loads with it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Glad it worked out!

They're hard to beat for the money and they really are a bargain for what you get. We go through tons of those 1500's before deer season. In terms of number of bolt action centerfire rifles sold, they rank 3rd with us. Tikka T3 series is number 1, the Ruger American's are second and the Howa's are third (combining the Lightning 1500's with the mini actions).

As I told you at the store, I did not have good luck with the Howa Lightning in 6.5X55, and actually returned the first one to the factory, and they sent me a second one. It was accurate enough for deer hunting, but it just didn't suit me. However, the other ones I've had in 223 and 204 were good shooter. My biggest gripe is that they're a little on the heavy side and the stock is too chunky. They are a bargain at that price, though, and one can't complain about that. Thanks again for the heads up on the rifle.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You've done it now. I'm sure you'll cause all kinds of discontent on the 'fire with that crazy 6.5 CM talk! FWIW, my "cheap" Ruger Creedmoor, that I bought from Shortactionsmoker, shoots really, really well. Sad thing is it's hard to beat the factory ELD-M ammo. I can match it, but that's all.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
2 thoughts:

1. Those WTCs were pretty good scopes and when Natchez was selling the 3.5-10x40s for $60 they were a pretty good buy too.

2. The stocks do suck, but there are frequently Vanguard2 take-off stock available for under $100 on eBay, or if you don't mind the increase in weight there are always a few options from Boyds, or if you like walnut and are willing to spend a little more $$, GPC may still have some of the S&W 1500 SA stocks for sale for between $140 and $170.

I know that some people think that a "cheap" scope is one that starts at $500. I admit that just about all of the scopes that I own and use cost a lot less than $500. I have an old Simmons 44Mag, 3.5X10 that I have probably used on half a dozen rifles. The glass is very clear, and the adjustments are as precise as any scope I've ever had. I also have an old Jap made Tasco 3X9 that I've had for years. It's been dropped out of a tree, bounced around on 4-wheelers, and not once has ever lost it's zero. I currently have it on a muzzleloader, and figure I've got my money back out of that scope many times over. The WTC also has some good glass, and rivals some scopes that cost 5 times what it did.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I had no intention on getting on the Creedmoor bandwagon. I figured I had the bases pretty well covered with what I already had. But, when Darick at Whitakers advertised those Howa Lightnings for $299, I kinda sorta changed my mind. I made the hour drive north and bought one, figuring I'd stick it in the back of the safe for a winter project. Like a kid with a dollar burning a hole in his pocket, I couldn't wait till winter.

I thought I had a good scope somewhere to put on it, but couldn't find it. I didn't want to take one off a rifle, and didn't want to go and take back one I loaned out. So, looking around in the scope drawer, I came up with a choice between a Weaver 2X10X38 Japan made, or a Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5X10. The Simmons was actually the better looking glass, so I put it on, rather than order another scope and have to wait on it. I figured even a cheap scope would tell me how good the rifle would shoot.

I don't shoot factory ammo, preferring instead to make my own. I had to be close to Clarksville TN this afternoon, so I went by MidSouth and picked up some brass and dies. I had some 120 grain Sierra Matchkings, and figured they'd be good enough to zero the rifle in with. I printed off Hogdon's reloading info for the 6.5, and decided to go with W760 powder, as I had a little bit left in a can and wanted to use it up. I loaded 42.5 grains, CCI primers, and Hornady brass. After boresighting, it took 2 shots to zero at 25 yards. My first 100 yard 3 shot group went into .3950. I adjusted the scope, and fired another 3 shot group, .7260 on that one. Sorry, no pics. Can't seem to figure out how to on here.

My only complaint was how the barrel heated up so fast. I know with some different bullets and powder combinations, this rifle will be a shooter. I admit to being very impressed. The trigger pull is very good. The stock sucks, but what do expect on a 300 dollar rifle. I can't wait to put a better scope on, and try some more loads at a longer distance.

That sounds like my Howa in 6.5x55. They are simply great rifles for the money. I thought about dropping mine into a B&C stock.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Glad it worked out!

As I told you at the store, I did not have good luck with the Howa Lightning in 6.5X55, and actually returned the first one to the factory, and they sent me a second one. It was accurate enough for deer hunting, but it just didn't suit me. However, the other ones I've had in 223 and 204 were good shooter. My biggest gripe is that they're a little on the heavy side and the stock is too chunky. They are a bargain at that price, though, and one can't complain about that. Thanks again for the heads up on the rifle.

How long ago did you have that experience with the 6.5x55?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I did the FFL paper work last night , the salesman suggested Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15X42 ,but at almost $800 sounds too expensive for $300 rifle.
any comments ?

P.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What kind of shooting?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
2 thoughts:

I know that some people think that a "cheap" scope is one that starts at $500. I admit that just about all of the scopes that I own and use cost a lot less than $500. I have an old Simmons 44Mag, 3.5X10 that I have probably used on half a dozen rifles. The glass is very clear, and the adjustments are as precise as any scope I've ever had. I also have an old Jap made Tasco 3X9 that I've had for years. It's been dropped out of a tree, bounced around on 4-wheelers, and not once has ever lost it's zero. I currently have it on a muzzleloader, and figure I've got my money back out of that scope many times over. The WTC also has some good glass, and rivals some scopes that cost 5 times what it did.

I have several WTCs in service; 1.5-5x20 (x2), 2.5-8x36 (x2), and 3.5-10x40 (x12). It looked to me as if Simmons was trying to mirror Leupold's Vari-X III line in a lower price niche.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a Burris MSR 4.5-14 I got from Amazon for like $200 and like it

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by persiandog
I did the FFL paper work last night , the salesman suggested Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15X42 ,but at almost $800 sounds too expensive for $300 rifle.
any comments ?

P.

I can think of a lot of better ways to spend $800.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
How long ago did you have that experience with the 6.5x55?

It was probably 10 years ago, at least. Maybe 12. No matter what load I tried, 1 1/2 to 2 inches at a 100 was it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
What kind of shooting?

up to 600 yards , hunting or range shooting.

P.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

would you share a few ?

P.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of sub-$800 options from Leupold and SWFA that I would look at before Vortex, but I am not a particularly demanding or bad weather scope user. I have quite a few scopes, but only one Vortex and then only because it came attached to a used rifle that I traded into.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by persiandog

would you share a few ?

P.

Personally, a VX2 3-9 and roughly $500 worth of ammo to practice shoot with. I know which combo would make me a better hunter. Not a knock on Vortex, I have one of those too, but at some point you hit diminishing returns on scopes for what they are actually used for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 80 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.