-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have five different laminate color Heritage style stock on five different caliber RAR-Ps; 204, 223, 22-250, 243, and 6.5 Creedmoor. The color coding makes it easy to differentiate one from another when they're in the rack.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would be way to short to single point sling a rifle like that.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have five different laminate color Heritage style stock on five different caliber RAR-Ps; 204, 223, 22-250, 243, and 6.5 Creedmoor. The color coding makes it easy to differentiate one from another when they're in the rack.

That's what I was thinking. Now I just have to remember to take the right reloads with me. smile

I am on the fence about replacing an older Savage 110 stock. It's a plain wooden OEM stock, probably birch, with the older slotted bolt screw. I had it out yesterday and was wondering why I didn't use it as much as before. That's when I remembered the short bolt handle. My gloved hand always rubbed against the scope. I ordered a replacement handle from Glades Armory. That will also solve the problem of a stiff operating bolt that Savage users used to suffer from occasionally.

If that makes operation easier, I'll break down and order a Boyd's stock for it. Not sure of which colour though. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]

I got a second AT-ONE stock for my soon to be 6x45mm stalking rifle. I had to perform a very minor alignment to a plastic spacer when installing the stock. This is the Savage Axis version.

There is a plastic spacer that comes with the stock. The front stock screw passes through it. This spacer has to be kept straight when torquing the front screw. The reason is, the magazine release sits in a recess in the spacer. If the spacer is not square, the magazine release doesn't like to release or lock in. Because the plastic spacer turned slightly with the screw as it was tightened, I used my knife blade to stop it from turning as I torqued the screw.

[Linked Image]

On this stock, unlike the first, they attached a sticker recommending 35 in/lb of torque on the screws.

Other than the magazine release and spacer alignment, it was a 5 minute job. I put a bipod on it and checked the foreend for flex. There was none. The barrel is completely free floated. How it groups is another question, but I'm not concerned. There are no reports of these stocks making rifles shoot worse, and the barrel is being replaced anyway.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[quote=Steve Redgwell][Linked Image]

I got a second AT-ONE stock for my soon to be 6x45mm stalking rifle. I had to perform a very minor alignment to a plastic spacer when installing the stock. This is the Savage Axis version.

There is a plastic spacer that comes with the stock. The front stock screw passes through it. This spacer has to be kept straight when torquing the front screw. The reason is, the magazine release sits in a recess in the spacer. If the spacer is not square, the magazine release doesn't like to release or lock in. Because the plastic spacer turned slightly with the screw as it was tightened, I used my knife blade to stop it from turning as I torqued the screw.

[Linked Image]

On this stock, unlike the first, they attached a sticker recommending 35 in/lb of torque on the screws.

Other than the magazine release and spacer alignment, it was a 5 minute job. I put a bipod on it and checked the foreend for flex. There was none. The barrel is completely free floated. How it groups is another question, but I'm not concerned. There are no reports of these stocks making rifles shoot worse, and the barrel is being replaced anyway.

[Linked Image]

What in the World is the big piece of metal hanging off the bolt handle? It's purpose happens to be? Rest of it looks good.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Where can I get one of those 20¢ Canadian notes? grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
These notes can be found at any Canadian dollar store. smile

[Linked Image]

This is a bolt handle. You access the chamber by unlocking and retracting it, using your hand. They come in many shapes and sizes. Where and how you use it determines the size and shape required. The era in which they were made also determined the size and shape. There are many different ones.

There are cylinders, knobs, slats, flats, spoons, knurled, balls, teardrop and tactical types. They are generally made of some kind of metal, although synthetic material has been used, but usually on the handle only, and then, only for decoration. The metal can be stainless, blued, polished, matte, roughed, knurled, inlayed, engraved or jeweled. Sometimes they rust if the metal is not protected.

Bolts and bolt handles are made all over the world. Any country that has produced rifles has made bolts and bolt handles. Only one continent, Antarctica, has never had a manufacturing facility that produced them. On automatic weapons and autoloaders, the cocking handle is another name for bolt handle. In some countries, they call them charging handles. Regardless, they stil attach to the bolt so that shooters can operate the bolt manually.

The Norwegian name for bolt handle is bolt håndtak. The Norwegians have also made them.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Looks like the turn signal stalk on my car. grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Actually, it's just the angle at which I took the picture. The handle is 1.75" long. The reason for the extended handle is simple. The Savage handle is short and skinny. When I worked the bolt, my fingers hit the scope. With this replacement, they don't. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

What in the World is the big piece of metal hanging off the bolt handle? It's purpose happens to be? Rest of it looks good.

[Linked Image]

I have made about 30 bolt handle knobs in the last 30 days.
I have purchased 3 PTG bolts for Rem 700s so I have a place to hang them.

I am embarrassed that I would spend 1/2 hour every day doing this, but the wife likes them.

I am interested in lowering the weight, specific heat, and thermal conductivity of tactical bolt handle knobs, so I do have a rational.

Back on Boyd's. They had high pressure commissioned salesmen 20 years ago. Now it is just a cheap place to buy a stock on line.
The Pro Varmint stock with some Alum-hyde II sprayed on, is a lot of stock for the money. I have done 223 Sav 110, Dumoulin Mauser 6.5-06, Rem 700 7mmRemMag, and others in the pipeline.

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (2UP, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 35, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 13 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,996
Posts18,481,160
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.