Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
805 Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Another tip that I use is to double package the item and I tape it to the inside of the flat rate box very well. Helps even if the box does get a hole in it.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Another dip [bleep] on ignore

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Shooter71
I had the exact same thing happen to me with several hundred bullets. Had to go to the post office to pick it up, they had put the mess in a basket with a sorry note, and was told it was hazmat and supposed to ship accordingly.

Says the clerk who doesn't know the difference between a loaded cartridge and a bullet.

Bruce

WL205 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I appreciate ALL of the replies. After reading through this its easy to see what the best option is. I've contacted the buyer and he hasn't done anything yet so I told him not to and I would deal with USPS. I will ship him replacements Monday in vacuum sealed bags with return address inside (thanks RJL53). Interesting enough the buyer thought it was strange to send him replacements and for me to file the claim with USPS. Regardless my views on this situation have been moved to the majority and you can bet that everything I ship from now on will be insured for full value.

Furthermore, I have conducted transactions on here and a couple other sites for quite some time and have tried to build a reputation as an honest, trustworthy member, the last thing I want is to jeopardize that. Unfortunately my point of view was in the minority and now I see the other side of it, it makes more sense to square it with the buyer, and deal with the shipper myself and learn how to avoid the mishap for the future.

Even if I don't come out square with the shipper, it won't matter 'cause I already feel better about this ordeal now.

Thanks to all of you who opened my eyes a little wider on this,

Jared Cramer

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^good job. All's well that ends well

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm really new here and don't have a dog in this fight but it seems to me some are a little quick to pass judgement. To the OP sounds like you did the right thing.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
damm lots of hang the people on here.i have had several [bleep] packages from shipping.had 1 box that was ripped in half .someone taped it alittle.i made good on it and postal ofiice paid claim and they keep bad package..i dont think anyone is trying to get over on people.even sometimes i get in hurry.anyways my 2 cents.i just received a package from jared.fast ship n all.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good job Jared, I think you did the right thing...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good for you Jared, I believe that's the correct way to handle it. I hope you can recoup your losses from the USPS but if not at least you have the satisfaction of being square with the buyer.

NRA Endowment Life Member
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Cypriss32
So for your poor shipping and packaging the buyer is SOL?

That's what I was thinking. The buyer bought something delivered. It was not delivered.

NRA Patron
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Anyone that buys stuff from individuals will sooner or later have a shipment that gets lost, broken or goes missing. It is the responsibility of the sender to file the claim - not the receiver. Been there and done that. I have even helped my mailman pick up bullets that were rolling around in his truck from a busted package sent to me... the 40x 2 ounce trigger that was in the box was never located. Seller need to pack well, insure and suck it up if they don't.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I sold some bullets and the package came open, contents lost. At the time I sold the bullets I was broke and needed the money BAD. Sale was just over $200, and I had $240 to my name. I sent the buyer his $204, leaving me with less than $40. I felt it was the right thing to do, regardless of my financial situation. I made it just fine.

Wow! When I think about how great America is, I think of the Statue of Liberty and Furball2!

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I sold some bullets and the package came open, contents lost. At the time I sold the bullets I was broke and needed the money BAD. Sale was just over $200, and I had $240 to my name. I sent the buyer his $204, leaving me with less than $40. I felt it was the right thing to do, regardless of my financial situation. I made it just fine.

Wow! When I think about how great America is, I think of the Statue of Liberty and Furball2!

Me too

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You guys learned something today. Is that your first time?

LOL
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Interesting post....
I am also in CA and a few months back I was on the receiving end of a similar same empty package of ammo components. My post master said it was the shippers responsibility to file a claim, as the receiver (buyer/me) had received nothing but an empty package, was not involved in the packaging, nor the knew the real condition/value of the contents. The seller immediately refunded my money and started the paperwork - my part was to take the received packaging to my post master for verification, etc.

I have read of other having issues with ammo components shipping. I don't believe it would be too large of a stretch to say that ammo component contents (and guns) are fairly easy to ID by weight, shifting weight, and sound if not packed to prevent same. Thus an improperly packed package encourages anti-gunners and others to have an "Oops moment".

I have always pack/package so that the contents cannot move or be heard; plus, so that the package can take a reasonable "lick" (toss/bounce) without splitting open or damaging the contents. Now, I mention the same method of packaging to a seller when I purchase something, as this method of packing does not seem to be common knowledge.
Tip of the hat to the OP / WL205 for switching sides mid-stream with the additional input... lots of folks don't... your on my GOOD GUY list.

If things were as obvious as they initially appear . . . then men would be riding horseback sidesaddle . . . and not women. - Will Rogers
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Happened to me! I took a pic of the package...Flat rate small box. sent it to seller. Notified USPS and tracked back to origin. sending a pick of ( a cast bullet mold) and what it should look like. Nothing came about for all mt troubles. The shipping party said he would insure it...he did not. so he refunded me the $$$$. Moral of story...tape the piss out of the package to be shipped !!!!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tape the hell out of the box with good packaging tape, tape the contents to the inside of the box if possible, put contents in bag in box when possible, insure package and cross fingers.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Excellent decision Jared.

USPS is not how I will send or receive guns in the future, insured or not they are terrible in CA with guns ammo or similar, twice they lost then found rifles for me once after denying an insurance claim the rifle showed up. My office is the actual source of "going postal" and they have been terrible in every respect to deal with constantly losing and the finding packages since they won't deliver down our rural road.

My experience isn't unique the USPS isn't what it used to be.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.