Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll start off by saying I'm no handgun expert. I've had a pile over the years, but would shoot them for a bit then send em down the road.

I bought a flattop Bisley a few years ago, and found "my" cartridge. The .44 Special can and will do all I'll ever ask out of handgun and I really have enjoyed it. Been shooting a 250 Keith style over 7ish grains of Unique and feel that's about right for my needs.

I've been getting a bad itch for a DA revolver, for general carry. Torn between the S&W 69 Combat Magnum (2.75") and the GP100 (3"). Handled them both and can't say I really have a preference. I think that the 69 may carry a little better, but not sure.

Just trying to get some opinions before I buy one from some of you that are much more handgun savvy than me. Please keep in mind that the fact that the S&W can shoot magnums is irrelevant, if I go that route it will strictly see special loads/brass.

Almost picked up the Ruger today, but I am having a helluva hard time picking between the two. Both isn't an option right now.

Thanks.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Im thinking if its about "the cartridge", Id want the gun to be specifically chambered for it.
"Special" loads are still best served in magnum cases in guns chambered for such. Think oversized throat with plenty of freebore....

JMO.

E
E
Hello,

Wandered over here following a few posters here from another forum....

I've had the Ruger now about 6mo and really enjoy it. I also bought it wanting a good DA woods gun that I wouldnt have to worry about like my older Smiths'. I've been carrying it in a DeSantis Thumbreak and it actually rides high and is quite concealable with just a covershirt. Load-wise, it seems to like cast bullets more than the .429 jacketed stuff. I've got great results with the Skeeter load of the 250gr Keith and 7.5gr Unique sized .431. I'm experimenting currently with 2400 hoping to bump it over 1000fps. Not planning on running a lot of that thru it, but quite a few bears (black) around our place and a bit extra "oomph" would make me happy. I've run the Sig 200gr V Crown thru it as well with good results. Mushrooms nicely thru 3 water jugs, ending up in the 4th.

Hope this helps. The gun has really grown on me over the summer and find myself shooing it more and more.

If I can figure out how to post pics, I toss a few up.

Best

eicas

[Linked Image]

Last edited by eicas; 09/13/17.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I tend to agree with Hawk, if your bond and determined to stick with the special case I'd stick with a special handgun. Unlike most here, I prefer Rugers revolvers to Smith's.

That being said, I'd handle them another time or two to be sure that I didn't prefer the feel of one to the other.

YMMV.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Usually your type of situation tells me that I'd be happy with either. No reason splitting hairs and over thinking it, go buy the one with the best price and don't look back.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a real itch to find a Smith 329 for your type of Special loads.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If you are going to shoot it a lot I'd get the Ruger.

If you are going to carry it a lot I'd get the Smith.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on Travis' comments. I have four 44 specials (none are the two you mentioned). They all seem to have a different purpose. I think that they now make a 3" model 69, which would be good, too.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Holston
I'll start off by saying I'm no handgun expert. I've had a pile over the years, but would shoot them for a bit then send em down the road.

I bought a flattop Bisley a few years ago, and found "my" cartridge. The .44 Special can and will do all I'll ever ask out of handgun and I really have enjoyed it. Been shooting a 250 Keith style over 7ish grains of Unique and feel that's about right for my needs.

I've been getting a bad itch for a DA revolver, for general carry. Torn between the S&W 69 Combat Magnum (2.75") and the GP100 (3"). Handled them both and can't say I really have a preference. I think that the 69 may carry a little better, but not sure.

Just trying to get some opinions before I buy one from some of you that are much more handgun savvy than me. Please keep in mind that the fact that the S&W can shoot magnums is irrelevant, if I go that route it will strictly see special loads/brass.

Almost picked up the Ruger today, but I am having a helluva hard time picking between the two. Both isn't an option right now.

Thanks.
I've owned a model 69 and have not owned the Ruger. I didn't like the 69 as well as my 629 Mountain Gun. If I wanted a 44 Spec. though, I'd get one and not a 44 Mag., so that leaves the Ruger. IMO you should look for a 624. I've owned two or three. The cartridge itself holds no magic to me. If I were to get a 44 Spec. though, the 624 is the best ever made.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have L and N framed Specials and to me the N-Frame is kinda silly if you want the Special. The five shot L frames are the bees knees. The old 696 would probably be perfection but they can be hard to find.

It's difficult to not love the Ruger though.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No question, S&W 696 no dash. Forged internals and no lock.

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
buy the Smith and don't look back

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless the stainless 3" guns are exactly what you're looking for, it might be wise to wait & see what else Ruger cooks up on the GP100 frame. While they also offer the hard to find 5" blued GP100 the rumor is they're be releasing another .44 spec variant soon. Anyone's guess what it'll be and when though...

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to pick up the Ruger now and see what happens.

Those 696s do look great though, several NIB ones on gunbroker right now.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
How much?

Dave

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by deflave
How much?

Dave

A lot. But you pay for quality.

Ken
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Darn, figuring your were "torn between 2 44 specials", I'd hoped you were looking for a NMBH 44 Special, since I have one for sale over in the classified section.

Alan

Holston Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
How much?

Dave

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/694295608

No way to know on that one. Probably ain't cheap...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since we're talking about 44. Specials, I see the 5" blued GP100's are hitting gunbroker. Not an insane price at all and they have the good taste to use the older wooden insert grips.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/695745971

Somehow Ruger just keeps missing my personal bullseye, which is a 5" half lug stainless. Well, okay, they do make one in .22 LR, but a .357 or .44 so configured would please me.

Last edited by Jim in Idaho; 09/14/17. Reason: Attending special needs class, I can't spell special

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I went with the S&W L Frame model 69 with the 2.75" barrel. Main reason for me was the option to shoot .44 Mag ammo if needed and its a lighter weight carry gun than the Ruger. That being said, I usually just run my .44 special loads through the new Smith.

My usual load is 8 grains of Unique with a 260 grain LBT WFN hard cast bullet that will kill any animal I might encounter including large feral hogs at the Ranch.

I'll eventually get one of the RUGER GP-100's in .44 special, but I'm waiting to get one of the 5" versions.

If Ruger would do the GP-100 in 10mm with moon clips that would be the cats ass, IMO. I'd buy one in a heart beat!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/14/17.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 673, 14 invisible), 1,700 guests, and 1,001 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,374
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.