Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I would like to get spark plugs and a plug wire set from Rock Auto; then take them to a shop and have them installed in my 2006 Subaru Forester.

Experience with multiple area shops has yielded incompetence, indifference, tomfoolery, deception and fraud. Most recent quote for above job was $450 if they provided the parts. Would not consider the job if I brought the parts. This was from FATS, whose only problem was that they were simply expensive. I can forgive them for trying to sell another $500 worth of unrelated crap, as it's what they do.

I don't mind paying a competent, honest, mechanic for the time, but seriously ... let's just start with competent. Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had good luck with Deans Automotive, Big O's, and All Service Automotive. I'm sure you can find complaints about every shop in town though.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Jeff
There is a well respected suby shop in slowdotna.
We could drink IPAs whilst you wait.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks everyone!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
And no, I'm not a lesbian.

Wait a minute ...

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm not saying anything, but are subs plugs hard to change?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

I think lots of plugs are hard to change anymore, which is undoubtedly why it costs a bunch to change them. I would further venture that the shops prefer to charge sticker price on those parts which I hardly begrudge them considering that it really is a meager part of the bill if the engine mounts need to be loosened and the engine lifted or dropped.

$450 does seem rather steep, but then I don't imagine I'd be able to change half of the six plugs on our car in under three hours worth of tom-foolery, so what with the cost of shop time these days, perhaps it's quite fair.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've had reasonable experiences at Big Os and Fish motors ....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FATS has saved me a bunch in a number of different ways over a very long stretch of time. Because they are good... they are usually a good choice...

My usual mechanic has folded his tent and moved on... I have no idea where.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
remember, it is not what it costs,but how much more it costs..not free anywhere. is it worth 100$ more to be sure it is done right?

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

I think lots of plugs are hard to change anymore, which is undoubtedly why it costs a bunch to change them. I would further venture that the shops prefer to charge sticker price on those parts which I hardly begrudge them considering that it really is a meager part of the bill if the engine mounts need to be loosened and the engine lifted or dropped.

$450 does seem rather steep, but then I don't imagine I'd be able to change half of the six plugs on our car in under three hours worth of tom-foolery, so what with the cost of shop time these days, perhaps it's quite fair.

It was a simple question. Thats why I asked it. I have been able to change plugs on everything we've ever owned as long as I can recall now. Doesn't mean the next vehicle, if there is a next one, will be different.

I was simply curious if it was one of those like some vettes, motor mounts involved...

My 86 GMC pickup had 2 plugs that took more time than the other 6 but it still was not that bad.

New vehicles I get the plugs out of asap on AL heads, and get another set in with anti seize.

Of course the OP may simply not do auto maintenance or not have the time. I was simply curious.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used Anchorage Auto Electric and they've done good work and been reasonable. I haven't had an issue using parts of provided.

On some cars swapping plugs can be fairly labor intensive.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Can you buy a brew cheaper at the store than at your favorite pub? Is chicken cheaper at Walmart than the chicken restaurant? Most places need more than their labor charge to keep the doors open. If saving a very few bucks on the plugs and wires bother you, change them yourself.
Another question, why plugs and also wires? Is it time on the maintenance schedule, running bad, or an engine light?
It has been almost 40years since I worked for Continental Motor Company, but the original owners, Peter Adolf and Bahne Martenson would tolerate no BS when it came to our customers! Hopefully they are still doing an excellent job for their customers.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Fish motors is a hidden gem in the mech world and very reasonable prices. Another good one is Matts Automotive. He shuts the doors during moose season so you know hes good people smile

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

It was a simple question. Thats why I asked it. I have been able to change plugs on everything we've ever owned as long as I can recall now. Doesn't mean the next vehicle, if there is a next one, will be different.

I was simply curious if it was one of those like some vettes, motor mounts involved...

My 86 GMC pickup had 2 plugs that took more time than the other 6 but it still was not that bad.

New vehicles I get the plugs out of asap on AL heads, and get another set in with anti seize.

Of course the OP may simply not do auto maintenance or not have the time. I was simply curious.

Well, you need to remove the air filter box and maybe washer fluid res, if that constitutes "hard."

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

Well, you need to remove the air filter box and maybe washer fluid res, if that constitutes "hard."

Still asking, why are you doing it?

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Sorry Butch, I've been in and out here. What's the question -- why am I changing plugs and wires?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sounds more like "annoying", unless it's -30º or you're trying to explain the procedure to a non-mechanical person over the phone. Lots of stuff is "annoying" in working on many of the vehicles built in the last 2-3 decades. I wish the 'back three' on the Grand Caravan were so simple, but it runs fine with at least 50,000, plus whatever miles they had when we got it with just over 100K, so a bottle of 'something' now and then when it isn't purring like a kitten, and all is well.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sorry Butch, I've been in and out here. What's the question -- why am I changing plugs and wires?

Yes, I'm curious.Are the coil pacs bad?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yes. I've done it several times on a Forester. They have a boxer engine and openings to the plugs are right next to the sidewall of the car. Several different sized extensions are essential and you have to get at them from underneath.

Last edited by Whiptail; 09/23/17.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.