Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
GunGeek Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When we decide to carry (or not carry) each person “should” do a personal threat analysis to match their equipment and training to what they perceive as a likely threat. When it comes to personal security, everything is a compromise. Some feel they have to train weekly, constantly be loaded for bear, carry a primary and a secondary weapon. Others feel a J frame in the front pocket is more than enough. Most are probably somewhere in-between.

I just find it a bit funny when someone on the other side of the country is telling everyone that their particular equipment and training is the ONLY way to be sufficiently armed regardless of where you go.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Yondering

It might become necessary but it's just not something I worry about. I've fired thousands of rounds through my Glocks without a single jam. What's the odds that it will jam in the middle of a fight,after I've taken a round and am unable to manipulate the slide by any other means than using my sights. Honestly,if I was that worried, wouldn't it be better to just carry a second Glock rather than trying to un-jam my gun ,by beating the sights against something, during a firefight, while wounded?

I'm really not making fun of the scenario,which I know many adhere to. I am simply asking what I think are logical questions.

The odds are a lot higher than you think, especially if it's a close and dirty hands-on fight, which has a high probability itself. That's a whole lot different than shooting on a square range or even hunting; your pistol can get fouled by clothing, body parts, the other guy's hands tend to go for it if he notices, etc. That's also a situation where you're likely to only have one hand to operate the pistol, even without being injured. I'm not mil or leo, but train with a group of other guys who also take this stuff seriously so that includes a lot of hands-on sparring. What I've said above becomes evident very quickly in that kind of training.

I might be surprised and wrong but I still think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has actually had to rack their slide on their belt during an real life and death situation.

I know one personally.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
People been known to drop mags too, on accident, in the middle of a high stress situation. It's not about having to reload but to be 3 rounds in, slide locked back and mag at your feet. While a person could slap it back in and hit the slide release - I tend to slingshot the slide as it's much larger and easier to do (less of a fine motor skill) than hitting the slide release.

I'm not saying a person MUST carry anything anyway - I'm just saying, for me and how I prefer to carry - I want very robust sights should I ever need to use them as described - a way to recharge my pistol. I don't believe I'll fight a house fire with the 5lb extinguisher under the sink, but I have it anyway. Sorta thing.

Do what you want - I'll do what I want but I don't know of anyone who's ever pulled a good set of steel sights off a Glock (or anything) and replaced them with OEM plastic as a preference due to the material they're made from.

Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by NH K9

It might become necessary but it's just not something I worry about. I've fired thousands of rounds through my Glocks without a single jam. What's the odds that it will jam in the middle of a fight,after I've taken a round and am unable to manipulate the slide by any other means than using my sights. Honestly,if I was that worried, wouldn't it be better to just carry a second Glock rather than trying to un-jam my gun ,by beating the sights against something, during a firefight, while wounded?

I'm really not making fun of the scenario,which I know many adhere to. I am simply asking what I think are logical questions.

The odds are a lot higher than you think, especially if it's a close and dirty hands-on fight, which has a high probability itself. That's a whole lot different than shooting on a square range or even hunting; your pistol can get fouled by clothing, body parts, the other guy's hands tend to go for it if he notices, etc. That's also a situation where you're likely to only have one hand to operate the pistol, even without being injured. I'm not mil or leo, but train with a group of other guys who also take this stuff seriously so that includes a lot of hands-on sparring. What I've said above becomes evident very quickly in that kind of training.

I might be surprised and wrong but I still think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has actually had to rack their slide on their belt during an real life and death situation.

I know one personally.

Aren't you in law enforcement though? To me that's kind of apples and oranges compared to an average citizen. A bullet proof vest might possibly save my life, but i'm not going to wear one every day. If however I was in Iraq,or possibly Detroit,it might be a different story.

Seriously,I would like to hear the details of the guy you know who had to use his belt to clear his weapon,if you can share it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Detroit...that's funny.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by johnw
Glock 19's for slow learners

On this point we are in whole hearted agreement.

Yeah, thought this would be a fun thread based on title, but nooo, went down the crapper.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie john
Glock still needs to make a single-stack 19.

What on earth for unless you live in the PRK..............a single stack would nullify a huge amount of the attraction of the G-19/23 & really gain nothing significant for concealment & the grip is just fine as it is.

The gun is almost perfect as it for it's intended purpose.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Heck, I don't even carry a spare mag on my person (have one in the nightstand drawer and in the glove compartment) unless I'm already alerted to a likely threat. Just one man's opinion.

Isn't it a good idea to carry a spare mag in case a bad magazine causes the pistol to malfunction? It seems that the cause of many failures to feed or eject actually result from a magazine problem more so than with the pistol itself. A spare mag might be just what's needed to get you back in the fight.

Good, proven magazines are reliable...until they're not.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 09/14/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I NEVER go anywhere without at least one spare magazine, and 95% of the time I'm carrying at least two spares.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by okie john
Glock still needs to make a single-stack 19.

What on earth for unless you live in the PRK..............a single stack would nullify a huge amount of the attraction of the G-19/23 & really gain nothing significant for concealment & the grip is just fine as it is.

The gun is almost perfect as it for it's intended purpose.

MM

For the slimness Such a gun would be about ideal to many people.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not w/o slimming up the slide as well.

Not many would want to give up the mag capacity for the slimmer grip on a gun that is not out of proportion now.....................I surely would not.

Dumb idea & likely why it hasn't been done yet.

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Not w/o slimming up the slide as well.

Not many would want to give up the mag capacity for the slimmer grip on a gun that is not out of proportion now.....................I surely would not.

Dumb idea & likely why it hasn't been done yet.

MM

Are you sure you're thinking of the Glock 43? The slide is quite slim.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are talking about the G19.

The guy's suggestion was to make it a single stack........................that would be like making your G17 into a single stack.

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
We are talking about the G19.

The guy's suggestion was to make it a single stack........................that would be like making your G17 into a single stack.

MM

I'm not going to go back and look, but as I recall it, he said he'd like to see the Glock 43 lengthened in slide and grip length to match that of the Model 19, i.e., a stretched out Model 43, resulting in a sort of single stack Model 19 (with a narrow slide and frame like the 43).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Why would anyone want something other than a "perfect" G19 - but plastic vs steel sights are a personal preference and extra $ for the name is worth it."

You glockfanboys are funny. laugh

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by NH K9

I know one personally.

So do I...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,188
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.