Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
[quote=R_H_ClarkThat's only for you though Rich. 99% of people don't want or need more than 12.5 in a hunting scope. Commenting without knowing if that particular Accupoint is the perfect hunting scope. I do like it's features,and have been interested in seeing one but the weight does turn me off a bit.Otherwise it has what I'm looking for in a hunting scope.

Are you ready, R_H_Clark, for a smart alec this morning? crazy I really like to say 92%, or any number that comes to mind at the time blush, of statistics are made up at the time of use. There is another sight I frequent: https://www.longrangehunting.com. 99% of the guys there prefer the higher magnification scopes.
[/quote]

I got a big laugh out of that Rich. You know I enjoy pulling your chain. If you enjoy them them more power to you.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I would love to see someone produce a 2-10X44 with great glass and durable internals, made out of titanium if that's what it takes to make it light, with a mill dot reticle ,lit by tritium in the center. It needs 4" of eye relief and a tube long enough to easily mount on the longest action and have room for ER adjustment.

I don't care if it has capped turrets or locking turrets but they need to be low profile. A side focus all the way to 10 yards would be great as well,just in case I ever want to put one on my best 22 rf.

Now I think I pretty much described that Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5X42 except for the weight,and the fact that I don't really know what the internals are made of except that they should be brass at 22.4 ounces.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I always wanted a Zeiss Conquest 4x32 that was 1 inch shorter and 4 oz lighter.
That would be the perfect scope for 99% of my hunting needs.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'd have NightForce build a 2.5X8X36 with an ill B&C reticle

you should look for the old 2.5-10x32..

great little compact scope!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
The perfect hunting scope already exists -- the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42. Anything that lacks the Accupoint's fiber-optic dot is going to be in second place, at best, IMO.

The problem with your perfect scope is it lacks magnification range. A couple years ago I found a couple deer with my binoculars in a three point or better area. A fork with eye guard qualified. I was using a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and had to turn it clear up to 25X to verify one was legal. I don't see any value in limiting one's self.

The perfect scope should be good in every hunting situation. Light, good in low light and dependable.

Where I'm at vegetation/ range wise, 5x on the low end might be too much =] also when it's in the 90's opening weekend of deer season, anything over 12x gets a little wavy.

I see the need for both high and low to cover all hunting situations across the country, so for the perfect 1 scope to kill all things... I think you would have to go with a wiiiiiide variable, factor of 8 or 10. I only have messed with Leupold VX-6 but In know there are other options out there with 8 and 10x zoom.

The problem with that wide of a zoom is reticles, if you go FFP the markings will damn near disappear on the low end, and cover up half your target at the high end. if you go SFP, you might as well keep it a duplex because you might not be able to use the 20x for ranging/ accurate subtension if you are shooting at 200 yards from against a tree at 6x.

I think sometimes solutions create more problems. Give me a scope with a range that falls somewhere around 2x on the low end, and 8-12x on the high end, with at least a 4mm exit pupil on the high end and a good heavy post, thin crosshair German #4 reticle

Kentucky windage works... or use your rangefinder and dial if you like to do that kind of thing...

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Absolutely.

What would you put together for a big game scope?

I really liked my Swarovski 3-9x36, but that sob didn't track for chit. I could live with a scope that size and weight, but in a 3-15x40, side focus, swarovski glass, tracking like a SWFA super sniper scope and good looks of a Leupold VariX-III. Actually something similar to my Nikon Monarch UCC here:

[Linked Image]

I’ve given up on trying to stay within certain weight limits within reason. I don’t particularly use flyweight rifles either but as long as I can stay under the 9lb range and better yet the 8-8.5lb range I’ll take the wicked reliability of a 6X or 3x9 SS. I’ve been eyeballing the Bushnell LRHS scope a bunch as well. I’m just about done making excuses for crap that doesn’t track. Drives me nuts and I’m not a real LR shooter. 600 is my practiced limit so I’m not stressing out turrets or anything.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is about a gajillion scopes out on the market today. Seems about half the new offerings are meant to appeal to the tacticool crowd but doesn't seem like much new is being built for hunting rigs.

What I'd like to see is a 30mm, light weight, compact scope, with a low profile EL turret, small ocular, maybe even a straight tube 24mm objective and I want it bullet proof and under 16oz.

So many scopes out now seem to have HUGE objectives that require a damn truss to mount it, weigh over a pound and a half, and still can't hold zero. Not to mention I dont need 24x's to shoot a fuggin' deer. I like and still use 6x42 Leupolds, but would like to see an updated compact version that doesn't have a two inch tall turret sticking out the top.

Is there such an animal out there? Does 6x and a 24mm objective make it a PIA to square up behind?

This is about the closest I've seen to what I gthink would be the perfect big game scope:

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/competition/4.5x24

For a hunting scope....

SFP

An exact dupe of Conquest 3-9x40 optical and eye relief properties.

Nightforce SHV internals in a 1" tube. Don't care about less erector travel- it'll be way more than sufficient anyway. Capped turret. Side parallax.

MOA adjustments

3-9 or 3-10 x42

Reticle to be just like the 3-9 Conquests duplex, except with windage dots at 2 and 4 MOA.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 10/08/17.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My favorite scope is my Kakles KX 3.5 x 10 x 50mm. If I could dream up the ultimate I would stretch the KX to be 1.5x or 2x power on the low end and bump the top end to 12x. Hold the 50mm, but the hard part would be hold the same size and weight overall. Don't want it any heavier.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If Bushnell could get the weight of the LRHS 3-12 down to 18 ounces they’d have a winner.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
If Bushnell could get the weight of the LRHS 3-12 down to 18 ounces they’d have a winner.

Yup. That's all I'd own.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm thinking if anyone COULD make a lightweight scope with the dead nuts tracking, zero retention and return to zero that the LRHS has, they'd have already done it. They could loose marginal amounts of weight by going down to a 1 inch tube and maybe shorten it up a little but in doing so they'd loose adjustment range. Once you start going lighter weight components in the erector and adjustment mechanisms reliability is going to be compromised. I'm just not sure how much lighter you could get and maintain reliability. The SWFA 3-9 and fixed powers are lightest I'm aware of that you can count on when dialing and they're about 20 oz.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Give the swfa 3-9x42, a 1 inch tube (for weight reduction) 4 inch eye relief, make it a 4-12 power and upgrade glass. Keep the mil/mil reticle/turrets. Make the turrets lower profile and add a side parallax adjustment. To me glass has gotten worse in recent years. I looked through an older Nikon Ucc scope the other day from the mid 90s. It sat next to a current Zeiss and a swarovski. The old Nikon was much clearer and brighter to my eyes. Maybe I'm going blind but the old Nikon glass would be in my hunting scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I'm thinking if anyone COULD make a lightweight scope with the dead nuts tracking, zero retention and return to zero that the LRHS has, they'd have already done it. They could loose marginal amounts of weight by going down to a 1 inch tube and maybe shorten it up a little but in doing so they'd loose adjustment range. Once you start going lighter weight components in the erector and adjustment mechanisms reliability is going to be compromised. I'm just not sure how much lighter you could get and maintain reliability. The SWFA 3-9 and fixed powers are lightest I'm aware of that you can count on when dialing and they're about 20 oz.

John

John,
Agree...
I still wonder how the prototype scopes that Pat and George had built were 20 ounces and then when Bushnell got them into production they ended up at 25 ounces. Was disappointing at the time.
I reckon I’ll just keep on with the PMII 10x42 for my western rifle and call it good...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by msuhunter
Give the swfa 3-9x42, a 1 inch tube (for weight reduction) 4 inch eye relief, make it a 4-12 power and upgrade glass. Keep the mil/mil reticle/turrets. Make the turrets lower profile and add a side parallax adjustment. To me glass has gotten worse in recent years. I looked through an older Nikon Ucc scope the other day from the mid 90s. It sat next to a current Zeiss and a swarovski. The old Nikon was much clearer and brighter to my eyes. Maybe I'm going blind but the old Nikon glass would be in my hunting scope.

I grab every Monarch UCC I see at a reasonable price. They are some of my favorite scopes. I just traded off my last newer model Monarch. They have good glass, but not as good as the older UCCs IMO.

As far as a hunting scope goes, I'd be happy if SWFA would just offer a decent duplex reticle. That fine target reticle disappears into the background at dusk when I tend to see deer.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by TATELAW

As far as a hunting scope goes, I'd be happy if SWFA would just offer a decent duplex reticle. That fine target reticle disappears into the background at dusk when I tend to see deer.

So to be clear... you think this reticle-
[Linked Image]

Is less visible than what reticle?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by TATELAW

So to be clear... you think this reticle-
[Linked Image]

Is less visible than what reticle?

That one is less visible than one with an inner duplex subtension greater than .07 (?).... sick

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
]

That one is less visible than one with an inner duplex subtension greater than .07 (?).... sick

You understand that it is .07 of a mil, correct?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

What I'd like to see is a 30mm, light weight, compact scope, with a low profile EL turret, small ocular, maybe even a straight tube 24mm objective and I want it bullet proof and under 16oz.

The Leupold VX6 1-6 is just that.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
And to just be doubly clear, you're saying that this reticle-

[Linked Image]

Is less visible than this one-

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The one in the bottom pic sucks less........! At least for my 56 yr old eyeballs.

To be fair though, I haven't had any problems blasting pigs at last light with the 3-9x SWFA.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 17 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.