Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by iddave
R26 and 150s transform the standard .270 Win into another (bigger) class of rifle imho. I'd skip the Weatherby, but that's just me...

Dave

I've got to agree with you Dave.

Me three.

Me also........

The difference in velocity between a 24" bbl 270W vs a 24" bbl 270Wthby will probably be smaller than it appears on paper. That's what my chrono says anyway...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I owned two .270wins, .270wby and 300wby all at the same time ..
found myself mostly always reaching for .270 Wby

top velocities people typically try to 'race' out of their Win
is just a walk in the park for Roys first belted magnum.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Starman
I owned two .270wins, .270wby and 300wby all at the same time ..
found myself mostly always reaching for .270 Wby,

Same here. I owned all three at the same time and greatly preferred the .270 Wby.

It’s as easy to shoot as the .270 Win and easily equals the .300 Roy when it comes to killing things quickly and spectacularly. I’d even go out on a limb here and say (with only anecdotal evidence to back this up) that my .270 Wby “out killed” my .300 Wby in my hands.

Of course, it’s because the .270 Wby is easier to shoot from all positions than the .300, but there has never been a time when the firing pin dropped on my .270 Bee when the bullet didn’t hit exactly where I planned it to.

Freakin’ laser beam death ray, that one.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
back to the OP's question...

about 100 yards

The Roy does at 100-150 depending on the load what a 270 winchester does at the muzzle.

If your ranges are long thats good...

If your ranges are short the difference is inconsequential...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes, the the 270Wthby will have higher velocitiies than the 270W. Often when comparing the Weatherby's to standard chamberings barrel length is forgotten. When comparing velocities it helps to compare equal bbl lengths.

Carrying my heavy-azz MkV's hunting never appealed to me (although you're talking about revamping a M700), and shooting a 270Wthby in a sub 7lb rifle has never appealed to me either.

The highest velocity with a 270Wthby and 150gr NPt in the Nosler manual is 3207 fps with a 26" bbl. Nosler velocities are rather consistently....ah....optimistic.

As others have mentioned, RL-26 in the 270W has upped the ante a fair amount. Given Alliant's data and what I have chronographed, the 270W may be the biggest beneficiary of RL-26, consistently clocking over 3000 fps out of 22" bbls with 150gr NPt's

In other words, when comparing equal bbl lengths--and reasonable pressures--there is about 150 fps max difference between the two cartridges, often less.

I have a 25" Douglas barreled M700 in 270W that already thinks it's a 270Wthby. It is on my short list to get the RL-26 treatment.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 270 Win that I like a lot and is going to stay, it's a wood stocked Sako. That 270 Wby keeps calling though, thinking of a fast twist and running 150's-170's. Gun is my fibreglass stocked Rem 700 that will need a new barrel soon which would be used for rougher terrain and weather than the 270 Win. Any of you use the 160 gr Partition in your 270 Bee's and what kind of speed do you get? That's one of my favourites in the 270 Win, load runs 2817 fps average.

Last edited by gerry35; 10/27/17.

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3500 fps with a 130gr TSX out of my old 270Wby on Mule deer was a sight to behold. That being said, I really like the 270 Winchester as well. Repetitive? Sure, but I don't really give a flying [bleep] about what anybody thinks.

Last edited by 340boy; 10/27/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ziggy
I have a custom rem700 in.270 win that I have been entertaining the idea of turning into a .270 weatherby for elk hunting. It has a 24" magnum size barrel so it's ready to go. I would like to add a PTG one piece bolt but that would be it. I see some impressive ballistic advantages written on paper compared to the std Win.

Real world difference?

The .270 is gay

The .270 Way. is Uber-gay.

That about wraps it up.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe

Real world difference?

The .270 is gay

That about wraps it up.

What about your 6.8 SPC eek

Gerry.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
270's ain't gay and I am quite certain the many members here on the fire that use them ain't gay and quite frankly we are sick of your 270 gay bu!![bleep].

RE: Ingwe

Last edited by TwoTrax; 10/27/17.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Nosler velocities are rather consistently....ah....optimistic.

Nosler data is shot with high quality, minimum spec barrels. What I've found is that when I use the data on my custom barrels with snug chambers it comes out real close to the real world velocity. As often as not I'll end up a grain less than their maximum charge to match their given speeds, and in some instances I've barely gotten off the starting load to match their top velocity.

When you take random factory rifles the results are mixed. Some will make speed, and some won't get within a mile of the book with their loads. Some won't make it with any load.

Mileage may vary.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by gerry35
Originally Posted by ingwe

Real world difference?

The .270 is gay

That about wraps it up.

What about your 6.8 SPC eek

Ingwe's 6.8 SPC is Super Uber Gay. Someone who wears leopard print thongs would own a 6.8 SPC.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Nosler velocities are rather consistently....ah....optimistic.

Nosler data is shot with high quality, minimum spec barrels. What I've found is that when I use the data on my custom barrels with snug chambers it comes out real close to the real world velocity. As often as not I'll end up a grain less than their maximum charge to match their given speeds, and in some instances I've barely gotten off the starting load to match their top velocity.

When you take random factory rifles the results are mixed. Some will make speed, and some won't get within a mile of the book with their loads. Some won't make it with any load.

Mileage may vary.

Most everybody's pressure data is using quality pressure barrels.......Wiseman, Lija, etc.

I also have custom barrels, and Noz's data is still optimistic............I have 35+ years of chrono data in my binder--probably something approaching 15k rounds. Handloaders tend to "shoot" for published velocities and continue to pour powder in until they reach it, and then a lot of them seem to go further. Just look at some of the velocities being tossed out on the 'fire.

In the 90's a couple buddies and I had unlimited access to a Oehler M43 Ballistics Lab. We bought strain gauges by the dozen and glued them on a bunch of rifles. As mentioned before I have a 25" Douglas Premium bbl chambered in 270W. Velocities with factory loads were fast in that rifle, and within max pressures. With handloads I could do even better, in a few loads a lot better and still stay at max pressure. But that barrel is a definite exception.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe you should try pulling the trigger harder? wink

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Lighten up, Francis. It's just a joke.

Also, if you use "aren't" instead of "ain't" you wouldn't sound so gay.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No idea where you came up with Francis. Really sick of that joke. Since you identify so well with it you must be gay.

Oh it's a joke...,

Last edited by TwoTrax; 10/28/17.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

That would probably be good for an extra 100 fps.....at least on the internet.........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C'mon, Casey. Give in to the Dark Side and shoot a 270 Roy. grin grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Model70Guy

Nosler data is shot with high quality, minimum spec barrels.......When you take random factory rifles the results are mixed.
Some will make speed, and some won't get within a mile of the book with their loads. Some won't make it with any load....

.... Handloaders tend to "shoot" for published velocities and continue to pour powder in until they reach it, and then a lot of them seem to go further...

if that aint crazy enough, some powder monkeys will then use a chrono to tell them chamber pressures are 'safe' ... laugh

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have both and really enjoy both. The .270 Win is a Ruger 1A I bought for my wife. It's an MOA rifle with 150 grain Swift A-Frames at a leisurely 2700 FPS or 130 grain Sierras at 3000. My wife used it to brain a crocodile, and I've killed Eland, Zebras, kudu, etc. with the 150 grain load. My dad who'll be 84 this year has taken several big whitetails with the 130 grain load the past few years. Everything you shoot with it dies without a lot fuss. It's a mild recoiling gun but has serious muzzle blast because of the short action and barrel.

My .270 WBY is a NULA model 28. With 129 grain LRX's at 3375 and 150's (Hornady interbond and Berger VLD) at 3175 it's a hammer. The difference in reaction when you hit stuff with it is very different than my moderate .270 Win loads. Legs "go loose" on impact and most stuff drops at the shot, even with lung shots.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.