Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by kellory
I have to wonder how well that gun really shoots.

One of the members here bought a rem 700 .223 in very rough condition, it literally looked like the gun was stored muzzle down in the bilge of a boat, or drug behind a snow mobile. I cut off 4" of the barrel, recrowned it and as I recall he said it shot 1/2" groups.

Guns can look like crap and shoot fine.

And the price reflects the condition.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only way to inspect it is to accept the package and open it, unless the package is damaged exposing the contents.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by kellory
I have to wonder how well that gun really shoots.

One of the members here bought a rem 700 .223 in very rough condition, it literally looked like the gun was stored muzzle down in the bilge of a boat, or drug behind a snow mobile. I cut off 4" of the barrel, recrowned it and as I recall he said it shot 1/2" groups.

Guns can look like crap and shoot fine.

I have never bought a used gun. Either I was the first owner. Or it was a family gun passed down through the ranks, and had it's share of handling marks. Uneven blueing, wear, and dings. Since each Mark seems to have a story behind it, family hunting lore was passed with each gun. I can't remember any major issues with any of them.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by Steelhead

No band wagon, it's just a shiet way you are doing things and trying to defend them. Don't give the 'Seller didn't ask about an inspection period' bullsheit. I saw Safariman post the same sheit.

It's a chickshiet way and it's not what men do. Chicks, sure.

^^^Much less the "buyers remorse" bullchiit, that's not remorse...that's fuqking rust and pitting

Not to mention the “other site posting”.

Unless this is a pattern.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The bore is crap, and you don't rate a rifle by its' age. It is either VG or not. Cal is a jackass and needs it back, post-haste.

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There's one right move to make.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
What's the rifle worth with the pitting?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
What's the rifle worth with the pitting?

4-$450

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
looks like it was a definite mistake to start this thread on the OP's part.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by KFWA
looks like it was a definite mistake to start this thread on the OP's part.

'Buyers remorse' thread morphs into 'poster's remorse'. Classic 'Fire. wink Brian's not a skinflint, cheat or one to complain about silly stuff for the sake of complaining.

Cal, you realize this already I assume, but the Fire tribunal has spoken and you run the risk of blackballing should you not do the right thing. Kind of sad it came to this. Does the expression 'truth in advertising' mean anything to you?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDW
I definitely expect a 55 year old carbon steel barrel to have some barrel pitting and a worn throat and would ask if I cared about it. It's obviously a hunters rifle based on the obvious bluing loss on the trigger guard, scope base nuts and bolt knob.

Does cal74 have a history of ripping people off?

If he didn't have that history chances are he will soon..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cal74
I don't take well to demands and if initial correspondence was a little different than my attitude probably would be as well.

Well,I think it boils down to this right here. You're an a-hole,pure and simple.
You let your ego get in front of any good sense that you might have.
And it cost you a lot here at the Campfire. You're reputation,your integrity,and hopefully more money than you expect.
I will say this though. I have over fifty rifles,hell, I don't how many I have but whoever thinks that bore is terrible obviously ain't shot as much as they want everyone to believe.
I have a Winchester, Pre-64 Model 70 Hornet that looks like gremlins dug little foxholes close to the throat to avoid getting decapitated and it shoots damn good. I have 4 or 5 Campfire
buds that have either shot it or seen what it can do, that'll back me up on this. Hell,my over fifty year old 340 Weatherby looks worse and it shoots like a house on fire.
Give me an clothes iron and a moist dish towel and most of those stock dings are gone. And fixing the blueing is dumb.
I suggest that both of you stop buying and selling firearms online. EVERYONE will be better off.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At one time I had a half-ass decent collection of some old and interesting guns. After figuring out that I was running out of places to keep them, and that no one else in the family seemed to care about such stuff, I decided to sell them. One in particular was a Jap 7.7. It was pretty rough. It looked like it had never had the metal buffed and blued, either that or some previous owner had let it rust and pit, then cleaned all the rust off and left the metal bare. At any rate, it was all there, had a good bore, and good wood. I took a bunch of pics and put them on the site, and tried my best to describe the condition of the gun. I was shocked that it sold for what it did, as it exceeded my expectations. Guy that bought it then emailed me all pissed off, claimed I had not described the actual condition of the rifle, accused me of ripping him off, and said that he should have known better to buy anything from someone south of the Mason-Dixon line.

I wrote him back and told him that I was sorry he wasn't happy, but that I did not appreciate his remarks, and if he wanted to talk about returning the rifle for his money back, then an apology was in order. I then forwarded his email to me, and my reply to the auction site. Never heard another word. I always figured his wife got on his ass for buying another gun, instead of buying her little weenie dog a pink collar, and he was trying to get out from under things.

I also sold some more guns on this same site, that were older and in a lot worse condition. Again, I took pics and described them as the way I saw them. They sold, and not one complaint whatsoever. One buyer even emailed me and said his was in better condition than he was expecting. I will add this, you are taking a chance when you buy ANYTHING sight unseen. That includes guns, and anything else you can think of.

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If I would have thought for a second that anyone was going to have an issue/problem with this rifle, I would not have sold it on any forum.

I have probably sold more things on here than 99% of most people with a lot of guns being bought/sold and 200+ custom zippo's. I've always answered any questions and provide any photos if requested.

I had owned it for close to 10 years I'm guessing, sighted it in and it's sat in safe since than. Once a year, everything gets a cleaning.

I did look through the bore, I honesty did not see any pitting. Did I look very close, no I did not. I realize everyone else is an expert, I do not claim to be.

Obviously most will disagree, but I do believe a buyer is responsible for asking for any clarification when buying something used.

I've agreed to take the rifle back, minus the shipping if it can be shipped to me or the buyer asked me for a 100.00 back, plus what I owe him for the ammo. I'll get a check out in the AM if he feels that's acceptable.

Life is just one damned thing after another
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Older rifle obviously hunted and shot with signs of wear from 50 years of use but perfectly functional. Condition of bore, round count, etc. unknown not a collector just to be hunted asking price reflects its use - returns not accepted so make sure you want it. With pictures of the best and worst features would seem to be the honest way to list the rifle.

That isn’t what you did - take it back and sell it honestly.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
when I was a young man I had a mustang with t-tops, fun little car but wasn't the most reliable vehicle.

After fixing what I knew to be wrong with it, I stuck a for sale sign on it and wanted to be able to sell the car in good conscience but rid myself of it.

A friend who lived up the road came by and wanted to buy it from me. I told him "you're my friend, I'm not going to sell you this car" so he walked away.

Ended up trading the car in for something else and the car ended up on an Honest John's car lot type of place in town.

The friend saw it, and he and his dad stopped by asking me if I thought they should buy the car. I reminded them that I told him I wouldn't have sold him the car but I also told him that when I traded it in, everything I knew to be wrong with it was fixed.

So that was a case of them hearing what they wanted to hear, went off and bought the car, within 6 months it needed something major - I don't recall what and they had the nerve to call me up and give me a blast of schit for letting them buy a POS car.

20 years later that son of a gun still brings up that damn car.

Two things I learned from that. One is - whatever I sell - on craigslist or wherever, I'm blatantly honest about it. I'll tell you the good and the bad. And secondly, I'll never sell anything that I'm not 100% confident will make someone happy who I may cross paths with again, and that includes a place like this.

Now with this deal, I think its just two people who ended up with different opinions on the shape of a gun - and because there is shipping and FFL added into the mix, both of them are a little bent on the gun not meeting either one of them standards. At the end of the day, there appears to be about $200 difference in opinion that is going to have to be hammered out. But this thread was not the way to get to that $200

Finally, in my earlier days I sold guns, but now my position is, I don't sell guns, I just make more space for them.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/29/17.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I sold a NF scope on another site that had some marks etc. etc. The buyer's impression of the marks was that they were more serious (to him) than they were to me. We PM's and emailed back and forth and discussed our differing opinions on the severity of these marks like gentlemen; I subsequently refunded his money and he returned the scope (minus shipping charges, of course). There is simply no need to get testy over this kind of stuff. Life is too short to get all pissy over a simple disagreement.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I looked on Gun Broker and found several guns like the one in question for sale for from $799-1050 or so. The item descriptions don't tell much. When you say a gun shoots fine or good it doesn't tell much. The thing might just be a shooter by your standards but not by mine. Here's the description of one for $799;

For sale Sako Riihimaki 222. These are very nice shooting guns and collected by many. Stock appears to have been bedded, see pictures. Scope and base not included. Winning bidder to pay $35.00 shipping, insurance included, and provide FFL, with original signature. Accepting Money Orders or Cashier’s Checks. Seller is not a FFL and it is Buyers responsibility to make sure their FFL will accept the transfer. NO TRADES. Payment is due within 7 days of the auction close. It is your responsibility to make sure you comply with the laws of your state and city when bidding on this item. If the item is found not to be in compliance, you as the bidder are liable for any fees incurred by your bid, including return shipping and listing fees. Shipments are limited to the continental US at this time.

I am not too familiar with the action of that particular one but I think it would make a good candidate for rebarreling. The clips for them go for $180 and the stock would go for a lot more. Aside from being priced a little optimistically the description seems in line with what I have found.

Unless one was looking for a pristine piece for his collection you will have to put up with the warts of a used gun. Some have more warts than others. It is sort of a crap shoot buying anything without the option of looking at it in person. As a caveat, some great looking guns shoot awfully bad and some terrible looking guns shoot good. It just is what it is.

If you are looking for an accurate factory rifle you are going to have to do a lot of looking. Gun shows allow you the privilege of looking at what you are buying but be prepared to pay the price. Prices at gun shows are no longer cheap. Most sellers there are pretty savvy about what they have and if one of them follows you around wanting to get hold of what you have then beware you might have something pretty desirable.

Joe

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Don't ever sale a used vehicle to a friend or relative no matter how good a shape it's in. You'll hear about every problem they have with it until they sell it or trade it in.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by victoro
Don't ever sale a used vehicle to a friend or relative no matter how good a shape it's in. You'll hear about every problem they have with it until they sell it or trade it in.

I won't speak to vehicles (I drive mine into the dirt), but if a friend wants/needs one of my guns more than I do he can have it. I absolutely wouldn't sell one, though.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,215
Posts18,485,497
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.