Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fischer
comerade - I don't think there's much point in a 22" barreled Weatherby magnum, which is why they currently come in 26", and the older ones were available in 24" & 26". The cartridges were designed to run in longer barreled rifles - they need the inches to hit their stride. I hunt frequently in thick woods and swamps in the southeast, usually with a 22" 30-06, and have never wished for a shorter barrel or felt like the longer barrel was a hindrance.

Ziggy - I agree. How long ago was it that men (and some women) carried 8 & 9 lb rifles all over the place and never whined about it? I do have one lightweight rifle and enjoy carrying it, but I sure as Hell don't feel sorry for myself when I'm humping around a full sized rifle.

This "cost" argument never fails to crack me up. Even if I was forced to buy Weatherby factory ammo at full cost, it would still be the cheapest part of the whole hunting experience. If money's a problem, you'll find it's probably a lot cheaper to just go to the grocery store than gear up to go hunting.

Morning, the short barrel requirement is a personal choice and is why I simply Don't even use my 25/06 anymore. I am a mountain hunter and I find length more of a hindrance than any other. The .270 Weatherby is a fine chambering but of little use to me.Cheers

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
comerade - I'm just thankful there are so many great choices. Good hunting...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope, just a human in good shape. 65 years old, 6', 192, 12% body fat. I work out 5 mornings a week, weights and cardio. No gut. I'm also a blacksmith. Afternoons, I do 3 miles in my hunting boots with a 25-30 pound pack, carrying either dumbbells or my rifle...in my hands. You should give it a try - it opens up a lot of possibilities...like carrying a rifle in your hands or being able to tie your shoes, without having to stop to catch your breath.

Is it reasonable to consider one's size when teaching about rifle weight? You are in good shape at 192 pounds and 65 years old. I am in pretty good shape at 155 pounds and 73 years old. Does it seem reasonable that I would be expending more effort with a nine pound rifle than you would with a nine pound rifle? mathman can tell you our work accomplishment would be the same. But work and effort are not the same.

This year I hiked over hill and dale and was very comfortable with an eight pound .270 Win. Nine pounds would go past pleasure.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So much parsing out ballistics and creating scenarios that level the playing field. The problem is that the playing field is not level. If you can't build a 270 Wby rhat can break 3500 with 130s, something is wrong. I chrono every handload and factory load that goes in every firearm I shoot, including 270 Wins in a couple barrel lengths. Even my old 24" 270 mag Vanguard breaks 3400 with 130s. My 270 win Vanguard never got anywhere near that, with it's 24" barrel.

The thing is, the results I get from my Wby are pretty average for standard factory rifles. If you don't want to shell out ridiculous money for a "custom" rifle and don't want to handload, you can get the same velocities. Take it out of the box, scope it and go to work. Could be it's just too simple for some people.

All the cherry picking and skewing stats doesn't change the facts. Build a 26" 270 Win that can run with the Wby and we can have a discussion.

I'll not be one to say there is no difference, only that the difference does't interest me.

26" for a carry rifle? No thanks.

Add 3000 CUP and 2-4" of barrel length to the .270 Win and there is still a difference. And still not enough to interest me. One of the beauties of the .270 Win is it can get the job done with a minimum of fuss and recoil. And do it cheaper than the WBY flavor.

Not putting the .270 WBY down, it just isn't for everyone.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Fair question! I'm not a mathematician but I have some engineering background. When that fails, I'll try to apply logic.

If we were in equal physical condition, I should be able to handle about one fourth more load than you. We would be doing the same work carrying the same load but it should be proportionally easier for me. Although, keep in mind that my "machine" is almost 40 lbs heavier than yours, so more effort would be required to move myself and the load, burning one fourth more calories. If we were equally strong - and that's entirely possible - you'd be about one fourth stronger pound for pound and therefore, moving your body and the same load would require far less effort.

A quick look at Google - It takes 62 calories to move 192 lbs 1 ft and 50 calories to move 155 lbs 1 ft. 12 is almost one fourth of 50 so, yes it takes about 1/4 more effort to move me over any distance. That's traveling over level ground. Going uphill could multiply that proportionally, I'd think. There's a formula to calculate the newtons required but I'm not going there tonight.

Very interesting question - thanks for that. Maybe somebody with a background in biomechanics would jump in here and answer the question.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
comerade - I don't think there's much point in a 22" barreled Weatherby magnum,

I agree.

...which is why they currently come in 26", and the older ones were available in 24" & 26". The cartridges were designed to run in longer barreled rifles - they need the inches to hit their stride. I hunt frequently in thick woods and swamps in the southeast, usually with a 22" 30-06, and have never wished for a shorter barrel or felt like the longer barrel was a hindrance.

There we disagree. Although I' have a 26" barreled rifle, I choose not to carry it afield. Personal prefernce is 22" or shorter.

Ziggy - I agree. How long ago was it that men (and some women) carried 8 & 9 lb rifles all over the place and never whined about it? I do have one lightweight rifle and enjoy carrying it, but I sure as Hell don't feel sorry for myself when I'm humping around a full sized rifle.

I'm not Ziggy, but how long ago was it since I gave a flying F what others choose? And why should anyone care if others choose differently? The older I get the more I appreciate light rifles with light recoil. But once I was young and stupid and didn't know better. Now I know I don't need to put up with heavy recoil or weight to get the job done. Many others have apparently come to the same conclusion. Apparently light rifles and low recoil age work for a lot of people.

This "cost" argument never fails to crack me up. Even if I was forced to buy Weatherby factory ammo at full cost, it would still be the cheapest part of the whole hunting experience. If money's a problem, you'll find it's probably a lot cheaper to just go to the grocery store than gear up to go hunting.[/quote]

Cost is a relative thing. A few $ to one person is a lot, to another it is nothing. While I've reached the point in my life where I can do what I want, I'm still a cheapskate that prefers to spend his money on bullets rather than brass and powder. Especially when the end result (game down) is the same but with less recoil.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 11/13/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My last 270 Bee did 3500 fps with 76 gr of IMR 7828 and 130 Hornady Interlock. No 270 win I know of can do this.

[Linked Image]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
comerade - I don't think there's much point in a 22" barreled Weatherby magnum,

I agree.

...which is why they currently come in 26", and the older ones were available in 24" & 26". The cartridges were designed to run in longer barreled rifles - they need the inches to hit their stride. I hunt frequently in thick woods and swamps in the southeast, usually with a 22" 30-06, and have never wished for a shorter barrel or felt like the longer barrel was a hindrance.

There we disagree. Although I' have a 26" barreled rifle, I choose not to carry it afield. Personal prefernce is 22" or shorter.

Ziggy, you completely misinterpreted this. Look again and you'll see I was referring to my 22" barreled 30-06 in the woods. Open spaces, however, do not restrict barrel length - in my opinion. Carry what makes you happy, it's what I do.

I'm not Ziggy, but how long ago was it since I gave a flying F what others choose? And why should anyone care if others choose differently? The older I get the more I appreciate light rifles with light recoil. But once I was young and stupid and didn't know better. Now I know I don't need to put up with heavy recoil or weight to get the job done. Many others have apparently come to the same conclusion. Apparently light rifles and low recoil age work for a lot of people.

I don't give a rat's ass what you or anybody else wants to carry. That remark was spawned by whatshisname being a smartass. He couldn't make a case for his dislike of the round, so he took a personal swipe at me and more than one. I thought that was the liberal's move. He was the one who brought up the "9 lb rifle", nobody else. You know, when the wheels come off your argument, time to start making $hit up.

My Weatherby is a light rifle. Not as light as some, but starts out at 6.75 lbs. I don't consider it to be a hard recoiling rifle in 270 Wby, especially with that stock, designed to mitigate recoil. I can shoot it off the bench comfortably. The same rifle in 300 mag - no thanks.

This "cost" argument never fails to crack me up. Even if I was forced to buy Weatherby factory ammo at full cost, it would still be the cheapest part of the whole hunting experience. If money's a problem, you'll find it's probably a lot cheaper to just go to the grocery store than gear up to go hunting.

Cost is a relative thing. A few $ to one person is a lot, to another it is nothing. While I've reached the point in my life where I can do what I want, I'm still a cheapskate that prefers to spend his money on bullets rather than brass and powder. Especially when the end result (game down) is the same but with less recoil.

[/quote]

I reload too, have been since the early 1970s. More for precision than cost, but the cost is certainly a benefit and 95% or more of my shooting is with reloads. I have some rifles that I've never put a factory round through. But in the big picture, factory ammo is a negligible cost. I'll buy it if it's the best solution and I've got to say, Weatherby factory ammo is awful hard to equal.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I have most of the popular reloading manuals published since WWII, and I can't find any that advertise much over 3450fps with 130's in the 270Wby, and those manuals tend to be, ah, optimistic with most rifles.............The majority of the manuals list the 130's around 3300fps max.
The best pressure barrel the average guy has is his chronograph. If he's running over max listed velocities, odds are good he's over max pressure.

Most load data for the 270 Wby is grossly watered down. They don't even actually test it. The numbers are computer generated.

To say there's no real world difference between a 270 Win and a 270 Wby is laughable. I've own/owned and loaded for all 3. The Wby simply stomps the WCF. The WSM comes much closer, but if you want the king of .277's, the Weatherby is it.

Didn't say it, didn't even suggest it. Read what you quoted..........

The reading comprehension on the 'fire is a hoot at times...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm not schooling you. I suggested you might want to shape up, since you think a 9 lb rifle is unmanageable. I'll bet this flatlander can go anywhere you can though and I'm an old man. I'll be back to the western slope next fall, if you want to have a go at it. I'm game for any challenge.

I guess you're done with the Weatherby/Winchester thing. I don't blame you.

You're right, I wouldn't mess with Yeti's carrying 9lb rifles who leap 10,000 ft mountains with a single bound.........

Especially Yeti's from Florida.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
What a dolt. You came up with the 9 lb rifle, not me. Nor do I claim to have leapt anything in a single bound. Why call me a Yeti? Why the personal attacks? I will be in Western Colorado for archery season in the fall. If you doubt anything I said, check me out in person. Bring your A game.

I've offered twice to meet you in the mountains, so you can prove your point. My third and final offer - we can finish this discussion out there, fall 2018. I'll either hack it or I won't. We can shake hands when it's done and be on our way. Hey, I'll be 66 years old and a flatlander to boot, should be an easy mark for you. It's a simple yes or no and I'm done.

Last edited by Fischer; 11/14/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I reload too, have been since the early 1970s. More for precision than cost, but the cost is certainly a benefit and 95% or more of my shooting is with reloads. I have some rifles that I've never put a factory round through. But in the big picture, factory ammo is a negligible cost. I'll buy it if it's the best solution and I've got to say, Weatherby factory ammo is awful hard to equal.

I have to disagree with "But in the big picture, factory ammo is a negligible cost." when I purchased a rifle for a wedding gift for my first son-in-law, my daughter asked me if he would be able to afford to shoot it. My response was "Don't worry, it's a .30-06." The point is that what is "negligible" to some is serious money to others.

When Daughter #1 needed a rifle we got her a .308 Win. She is a petite lady who shoots 130g TTSX for everything she hunts and doesn't like the recoil of full-power 150's. A .270 WBY would be inappropriate for her regardless of ammo costs. While the .270 WBY is a good cartridge, it is no panacea. There are lots of good cartridges, each with its own unique attributes. What is best for one is often a poor choice for another.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In the real world the Weatherby uses 6 cents worth more power. (based on 30 dollar a pound powder). That shouldn't break anyone.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Fotis
My last 270 Bee did 3500 fps with 76 gr of IMR 7828 and 130 Hornady Interlock. No 270 win I know of can do this.

[Linked Image]

I don't doubt the 7828 data but when Hodgedon re-worked the loads they reduced most of them. This was true with the 7RM. When I asked a technician he just said different rifles so I don't know if early lots were slower or what.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw a 270 Weatherby for sale and since I’ve never had one I thought I may buy it. Reading this old thread, it seems to me that people that own a 270 Win feel the 270 Weatherby isn’t worth it. The people that have both seem to think the Weatherby is easily worthwhile.
What else is there to do in the winter but go looking for new rifles?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being tight, cheap, frugal, all rolled into one,
I never saw anything Weatherby that was worth the cost of
brass and dies. I'll see a 270Bee, and raise a 7mag.
Couple that with the unhappy purchase of a Vanguard at 14,
with skipped lunch , and mowing money, and I lost all desire
for anything they made.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at the 7mm Rem Mag - it looks like a ballistic twin.

There’s a Ruger #1 on Guns International that has a Leupold scope on it and it’s only $700. If the scope is worth say a minimum of $200 that’s a real cheap #1!
On the down side, it has a butt ugly stock on it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You would need to open up the bolt face for the 270 Weatherby and get a new extractor (Rem clip or Sako style) plus the rechambering (added cost), not to mention the added cost for brass and dies.

I'd put the lroject in the category of: "Do it simply because you want to do it."
I wouldn't do it. I think the 270 Winchester is fine just the way it is. I also just don't like belted cases.

Ballistic Studies is a!ways an interesting read. Here it is on the 270 Weatherby Magnum.
https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.270+Weatherby+Magnum.html

Your money. Your choice.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by slm9s
140 Accubond

Me too

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have both for a std cartridge the 270 win is hard to improve on. The 270 Weatherby is a great cartridge and an excellent choice in a Mk V Weatherby rifle that is correctly freebored for the cartridge. If you want one sell your 270 win and buy one don t modify yours. You asked...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 21, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.