Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Dickheads abound. The guy asked a simple question and a youngster got beat up for it. Huzzah

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Why are you worried about the recoil? Has he shot bigger guns and whined about it? I have seen little girls shoot .308s and whatever, because they were not taught to fear the recoil. If you make a big deal about it, then the kid will, too. If he cannot handle a Creed, then maybe he had better stick to computer games. The Creed is about as mild as it gets, with 120ish-grain bullets, unless you short-change him and drop down to a .22 caliber center-fire.

Originally Posted by WiFowler
If he cannot handle a Creed, then maybe he had better stick to computer games. The Creed is about as mild as it gets, . . . .

I'm glad somebody said this ^^^.

And people wonder why kids/women/new people don't want to hunt and shoot....

This.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I am starting to think that the 6.5 or 6 would be a good way for my daughter to start.

A lighter recoil load would be swell.

I started with a M94 30-30. I wont do that to her!

I suspect that with a rifle light enough to be comfortable for a kid, a full power Creedmoor round would have some recoil.

I think the creed would be fine for a kid. Even more so if you out a brake on it.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

A
anie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
hey its easy to be a big shot on the campfire, thanks 4 the replys

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 6.5 Creedmoor in a light rifle with full power loads kicks plenty hard ~15 lbs, whereas a 243 will be around 10.

The Creed kicks harder than I would've wanted to shoot when I weighed 70 lbs, but maybe I was one of the kids who should've just stuck to computer games.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by anie
hey its easy to be a big shot on the campfire, thanks 4 the replys

anie, sadly if you don't handload, the market hasn't gotten any real products that would fit your needs..

I shoot a 260 ( several rifles in the chambering)... but I hand load..

first deer I took, was at 300 yds with the cartridge, and the load was a 100 grain ballistic tip
handload....

the scope was on 4 power, and was a Leupold with a target dot on the reticle.. and I was
shooting off the hood of an F 250 as a rest...

recoil was low enough, I never lost site picture in the scope, when I pulled the trigger..

was able to watch the deer drop like a sack of potatoes thru the scope...

don't know if that helps, but with lighter bullets it does show the reduction in recoil
that is possible with the 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor...

my rifle was a Ruger 77 Mk2 with the Zytel "Boat Paddle" stock at the time...

as a shooting instructor and counselor for Boy Scouts, I download a lot of handloaded ammo
for kids to shoot.. so I can offer that solution if you find someone to do it for you...

sadly the factories don't... because the market probably isn't that big for them to make any
profit on it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No factory low recoil ammo currently for the 6.5 CM. Maybe switch to a 7mm-08 or 308 as there are a few different low recoil load options. Or get someone to load a 100 gr bullet with H4895 starting at 60% of the maximum charge per Hodgdon recommendation for youth hunting loads. 30 gr of H4895 should get a Nosler 100 gr BT moving about 2600 fps with very mild recoil.

I would imagine Hornady will make a Custom Lite load sometime in the future as they do for the 243, 7mm-08, 308 and others but no telling how long that might be.

Last edited by scotts94_z28; 12/05/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A friend and I have both just started shooting Creedmores this year. I have only been shooting hand loads but I can tell you that 120 loads have much milder recoil than full effort 140 grain loads do. I know Hornady is selling 129 grain loaded ammo. I'm not sure if 120 grain factory loads are on the market yet....

Good on you for helping a kid out.... My wife is known in our community as a very successful deer hunter. A young woman she works with has asked to be mentored in deer hunting. She has not shot hi powered rifles before. The max loads of Reloader 17 and 140 grain bullets that my friend and I have been shooting have noticeably more recoil than I would choose to start a new shooter with. I am going to load some lighter bullets a bit below max for her to start with. It is way easier to develop a flinch than to learn to over come one.

Please ignore the few bonehead posts made on this topic and report back with the results!

Please don't feed the trolls!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by WiFowler
If he cannot handle a Creed, then maybe he had better stick to computer games. The Creed is about as mild as it gets, . . . .

I'm glad somebody said this ^^^.

That makes both of you idiots but that's normally expected from dumb azzes

Last edited by Kaleb; 12/07/17.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 49 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,277
Posts18,505,057
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.