Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I never took Gunswizard to be a dick but apparently I was wrong. Sent a PM looking for the backstory as I’m always open to hearing differing opinions or viewpoints and as somebody that makes a living in the industry I certainly want to hear what customers don’t like so I can apply that knowledge to my own operation. He would have none of it

I asked what the backstory was and he replies with “ I asked a question, no story nothing to see here as they say so move along.“

I then asked what his policy is for wounding deer as I responded to his question on this post and I was curious. His response... “what part of move along don't you understand?”

This thread was posted the same day as this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../searching-for-wounded-deer#Post12409849

Coincidence?

Interesting context...
He's a source of interesting context. Especially his take on what constitutes a proper chambering for deer.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pointer
I never took Gunswizard to be a dick but apparently I was wrong. Sent a PM looking for the backstory as I’m always open to hearing differing opinions or viewpoints and as somebody that makes a living in the industry I certainly want to hear what customers don’t like so I can apply that knowledge to my own operation. He would have none of it

I asked what the backstory was and he replies with “ I asked a question, no story nothing to see here as they say so move along.“

I then asked what his policy is for wounding deer as I responded to his question on this post and I was curious. His response... “what part of move along don't you understand?”

This thread was posted the same day as this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../searching-for-wounded-deer#Post12409849

Coincidence?

Interesting context...
He's a source of interesting context. Especially his take on what constitutes a proper chambering for deer.

Oh, believe me, I have seen lots of his posts! Most are in lined to crack me up!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by chamois
Guided hunts gives you access to hunts you would otherwise not have access to.

In some places it is not even legal for a non resident to hunt unguided, In some places it would just be impossible to create your own infrastructure, In some places it would be too risky to hunt solo, ... etc.

For me, I'd rather have hunted the Caucasus, Taurus, Alps, Carpathians, Tien Shan, Pamir, Altai ... mountains, guided, than not hunt those fabulous places.

But I notice that some people tend to look over the shoulder at hunters that go on guided hunts, not seeming to understand that these hunters may hunt solo as much or more than they do, and then hunt guided as much or more than they do unguided, too.

Also, they do not seem to understand that hunting guided does not necessarily mean sitting in a heated blind with a docen deer around a feeding machine and having your guide (?) point at the one he wants you to shoot. There can be much more than that and you can be participative and help saddle horses, set up camps, cook, glass for game, skin, load the meat, ... etc.

I am not sure if these people represent the fox's role in Aesop's fable the Fox & the Grapes.

Just my thinking.

To risky to hunt solo? Well I have a wife and a couple of backpacks but I digress.

But my real question... whats your opinion of the draw blood policy.

Yes, in my opinion, some hunts are too risky to do solo. Not that a pronghorn can shoot back at you... I am basically thinking in late season mountain hunts above 8,000ft. I just got back from the Caucasus and that can be a good example of what I mean: too remote, too treacherous, and too hard conditions to do alone. Even guided, at some stage during hunts like this, one who is there will think what the hell is he doing there!

And my opinion on the draw blood policy is that there is no other way of doing it. It can be unfair at times, and under some very special circumstances I would understand some discretionality in its application form the outfitter/guide, but the undebatable starting point needs to be that once you draw blood the hunt is over. Otherwise, everything woul be at risk of becoming an unorganized mess. May I ask what do You think?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gunswizard
So you're O.K. if in spite of your best efforts the deer is not recovered you're done?

I guess I am strange. If I were to wound an animal and not recover, that tag is spent IMO. Same goes for birds, small game, etc. I call that being a sportsman.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pahntr760,

Don't they HAVE blood-trailng dogs in SD?? = I see little reason for losing wounded game, as around here there are any number of such well-trained canines/handlers "for rent".

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

On my Moose Hunt my Guide ask me what Rifle I was shooting when I told him a 6.5-06 he looked at me funny. I explained it was basically a .270 he asked what scope. I told him a fixed 6 power he grinned and said "We are going to get along just fine" He asked how far I felt comfortable shooting and I said 50 yds. He laughed and said he would see what he could do. I killed my Moose at 50 yds off hand with a head shot as that is all I was offered. He about flipped out he said he has never had a hunter make a shot that quick and off hand he said most want the shooting sticks and take forever. I said I wanted the sticks and more time but it wasn't offered.

Growing up learning to jump shoot elk in the spruce-fir elk jungles, it was quite frustrating as a guide when hunters could not bring their rifle to bear quickly (as in entirely unfamiliar with their rifle), having their scope on high magnification, and being so startled by elk crashing way in the timber they would literally take a step or two backwards (actually, when elk blow up 30 yds away it can make a guy jump!). Try as I might to "coach" them that they were more likely to encounter elk less than a 100 yds rather than 300-400 yds, clients were often totally umprepared to make those close, quick shots.

I learned to accept it over time.............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
There can be much more than that and you can be participative and help saddle horses, set up camps, cook, glass for game, skin, load the meat, ... etc.

That sounds like a fun way to go.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

On my Moose Hunt my Guide ask me what Rifle I was shooting when I told him a 6.5-06 he looked at me funny. I explained it was basically a .270 he asked what scope. I told him a fixed 6 power he grinned and said "We are going to get along just fine" He asked how far I felt comfortable shooting and I said 50 yds. He laughed and said he would see what he could do. I killed my Moose at 50 yds off hand with a head shot as that is all I was offered. He about flipped out he said he has never had a hunter make a shot that quick and off hand he said most want the shooting sticks and take forever. I said I wanted the sticks and more time but it wasn't offered.

Growing up learning to jump shoot elk in the spruce-fir elk jungles, it was quite frustrating as a guide when hunters could not bring their rifle to bear quickly (as in entirely unfamiliar with their rifle), having their scope on high magnification, and being so startled by elk crashing way in the timber they would literally take a step or two backwards (actually, when elk blow up 30 yds away it can make a guy jump!). Try as I might to "coach" them that they were more likely to encounter elk less than a 100 yds rather than 300-400 yds, clients were often totally umprepared to make those close, quick shots.

A friend "shot" a black bear, very close and unexpectedly. Trying to wrinkle out where the bear went was tough, in part because he had no idea where he was standing when he shot, let alone where the bear was.

Finally figured out his location from the magazine-load of unfired ammo laying in a neat little pile where it had been ejected while he was "shooting" the bear.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Now I’d just like to know who the outfitter was that kicked that douchebag Gunswizard out of camp? His complaint is now a ringing endorsement of the guy

In the business world, they say sometimes you have to fire the customer.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by satx78247
Pahntr760,

Don't they HAVE blood-trailng dogs in SD?? = I see little reason for losing wounded game, as around here there are any number of such well-trained canines/handlers "for rent".

yours, tex

I have no idea. I have never needed said services out here. They could have come in handy in PA a time or two though.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Yes, in my opinion, some hunts are too risky to do solo. Not that a pronghorn can shoot back at you... I am basically thinking in late season mountain hunts above 8,000ft. I just got back from the Caucasus and that can be a good example of what I mean: too remote, too treacherous, and too hard conditions to do alone. Even guided, at some stage during hunts like this, one who is there will think what the hell is he doing there!

I hunt on an island where the ground is rough, steep, and slippery, so there's a good chance of falling and spraining/breaking a leg. It's usually 40 degrees and pouring rain during hunting season, so if you get hurt, the risk of hypothermia is very high. And while this place is literally in sight of a good-sized town, the water moves too fast for small boats to cross the channel quickly, there are only old logging trails for rescue crews to get to you--not that you'd be near one of them anyway, the trees are too tall for helicopters to land, and the cell/radio coverage is crappy at best.

I've hunted it alone, but it's not a good idea.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
okie john,

I now have heard of a small/unidentified island that I won't be hunting upon. - CHUCKLE.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by okie john

I hunt on an island where the ground is rough, steep, and slippery, so there's a good chance of falling and spraining/breaking a leg. It's usually 40 degrees and pouring rain during hunting season, so if you get hurt, the risk of hypothermia is very high. And while this place is literally in sight of a good-sized town, the water moves too fast for small boats to cross the channel quickly, there are only old logging trails for rescue crews to get to you--not that you'd be near one of them anyway, the trees are too tall for helicopters to land, and the cell/radio coverage is crappy at best.

Okie John

Same thing, just completely eliminate any communication short of a Sat phone... and add big bears...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Now I’d just like to know who the outfitter was that kicked that douchebag Gunswizard out of camp? His complaint is now a ringing endorsement of the guy

In the business world, they say sometimes you have to fire the customer.

What’s really funny is that I bought something from Gunswizard last year. He sent the pics over the holiday weekend and I was spending time with family. That didn’t stop him from sending me another email letting me know that he “would like the courtesy of a reply”

So gunswizard expects the courtesy of a reply but will tell a guy basically to [bleep] off when a question he doesn’t like is asked

Whoever kicked his ass out of camp is a hero

Last edited by huntsonora; 12/24/17.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

A friend "shot" a black bear, very close and unexpectedly. Trying to wrinkle out where the bear went was tough, in part because he had no idea where he was standing when he shot, let alone where the bear was.

Finally figured out his location from the magazine-load of unfired ammo laying in a neat little pile where it had been ejected while he was "shooting" the bear.

Any empties?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by okie john

Okie John

Same thing, just completely eliminate any communication short of a Sat phone... and add big bears...

Two other very good examples

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Any empties?

No empties... just a handful of unfired ammo.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 64 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,284
Posts18,486,844
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.