Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
A .454 at 1800 FPS spins at 54,000 RPM's so the 2" barrel at 1100 is 33,000. twist does not matter? Just maybe it does.

Show your math.

Math is easy, RPM = MV X 720 divided by twist.A 405 gr at 1200 FPS will get you 36,000 RPM's. A 335 gr at 1160 FPS in a .45 Colt is 52,200 RPM's. I don't see Whitworth with a 2" barrel so let's look at a 200 FPS loss in the .45. 43,200 RPM's. Get to 800 FPS in a 2" 1 in 24" barrel and see 24,000. You say twist has no meaning in a revolver. Sorry, you are wrong.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
[quote=jwp475][quote=bfrshooter]
Math is easy, RPM = MV X 720 divided by twist.A 405 gr at 1200 FPS will get you 36,000 RPM's. A 335 gr at 1160 FPS in a .45 Colt is 52,200 RPM's.

So now you are claiming a bullet with 1160 FPS has more rpm’s than a bullet at 1200 fps, WOW JUST WOW!

Actually the bullet at 1160 fps has a rpm of 34,800. You are so wrong it’s ridiculous

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What pressure does a .45 335 gr need to get to 1160 FPS in 2"? The .44 at 1316 FPS with a 330 gr in 2"? You can't do it. You can't reach spin without velocity. Even in the old days BP rifles would reach 48" to burn the powder. Not gone in an inch.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
What pressure does a .45 335 gr need to get to 1160 FPS in 2"? The .44 at 1316 FPS with a 330 gr in 2"? You can't do it. You can't reach spin without velocity. Even in the old days BP rifles would reach 48" to burn the powder. Not gone in an inch.

What the hell is your affection to 2” barrels? No one has claimed that barrel length can’t affect velocity, but it is not the only factor than affects velocity.

Why are you talking about black powder?

Powder burning in an inch or so doesn’t stop the expanding gases from continuing to excelerate the bullet down the barrel. The fact is pressure peaks near instantly and immediately begins to lower as the bullet moves down the barrel. None of this has anything to do with black powder.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Math is easy, RPM = MV X 720 divided by twist.A 405 gr at 1200 FPS will get you 36,000 RPM's. A 335 gr at 1160 FPS in a .45 Colt is 52,200 RPM's.

So now you are claiming a bullet with 1160 FPS has more rpm’s than a bullet at 1200 fps, WOW JUST WOW!

Actually the bullet at 1160 fps has a rpm of 34,800. You are so wrong it’s ridiculous

It sure does because because the .45 Colt has a faster twist of 1 in 16". See the formula where you divide by twist?
Look at my BFR 45-70 at 1630 FPS with a 1 in 14" twist. WOW, 82,829 RPM's. You look worse and worse the more you post. The BFR .500 JRH with a 1 in 15" is 64,800. The .460 S&W has a gain twist so you will also say if cut to 2" it will spin the same. Even fairy land can't make up the stuff you do.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

It sure does because because the .45 Colt has a faster twist of 1 in 16". See the formula where you divide by twist?
Look at my BFR 45-70 at 1630 FPS with a 1 in 14" twist. WOW, 82,829 RPM's. You look worse and worse the more you post. The BFR .500 JRH with a 1 in 15" is 64,800. The .460 S&W has a gain twist so you will also say if cut to 2" it will spin the same. Even fairy land can't make up the stuff you do.

Geez you can’t stay on point. Whitworth shot the 45 Colt 405 grain load from Garret cartridge in a Ruger 454 with a 1 in 24 twist and the bullet was stabile under 1200 FPS.if You want to go to a 16 twist then it’s even more stabie. Thanks!. You aren’t doing yourself any favors.

Last edited by jwp475; 12/27/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I know I'm probably reaching to find a way to communicate, but I'll give it a go. Bullet acceleration is based on the area of the pressure/time curve, not the peak pressure. That's why a load with bullseye at 40 kpsi is going to be slower than a load with H-110 at 40 kpsi, assuming we're talking about a magnum cartridge because there is less area under the curve.

Here's a generic pressure/time curve I pulled off the net

[Linked Image]

The faster the powder, the quicker the peak pressure is generated. The shorter the barrel, the less time the bullet is being accelerated by the expanding gasses because there is less area under the time/pressure curve to accelerate the bullet.

But in the majority of cases, the peak pressure is achieved and the pressure starts dropping before the bullet leaves the barrel. Maybe in the case of a short handgun barrel the bullet is in the barrel for 0.0006 seconds and in the case of a long barrel 0.0007 seconds.

As I stated before and 475 keeps beating on, current revolvers will stabilize heavy for caliber bullets at 1000 fps or less. Whether you choose a 2" snubby for ~1100 fps, a 5" for ~1200 fps or a 10" for ~1400 fps doesn't matter. In every case the bullet is rotated to sufficient rpm to be stable.

If you've had accuracy problems with short barreled revolvers or at lower velocities, bullet rotational stability was not the culprit. One magic load in one gun does not make one an expert on revolver accuracy. The more guns I Ioad for, the more I learn and the less inclined I am to make absolute statements.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

What the hell is your affection to 2” barrels? No one has claimed that barrel length can’t affect velocity, but it is not the only factor than affects velocity.

Powder burning in an inch or so doesn’t stop the expanding gases from continuing to excelerate the bullet down the barrel. The fact is pressure peaks near instantly and immediately begins to lower as the bullet moves down the barrel. None of this has anything to do with black powder.

Powder burns down the barrel and adds to pressure. After all the powder is consumed no more is added. It is why a load of Bullseye will never equal a load of 296. Why do we have all burn rates. NO when the powder is gone, gas will not expand more. It is GONE. Fill a large tire with a 3 gallon compressor and you must turn it on again. It runs out of air volume. Try to run an impact gun with 3 gallons but your gun is magic. When I need air I turn on the 60 gallon and when I need gas in a gun I shoot a slower powder. I put wood in the stove for heat and when it is gone, the stove gets cold. But I suppose you can run your truck on empty too. It is all the same, you need fuel.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Powder burns down the barrel and adds to pressure. After all the powder is consumed no more is added. It is why a load of Bullseye will never equal a load of 296. Why do we have all burn rates. NO when the powder is gone, gas will not expand more. It is GONE. Fill a large tire with a 3 gallon compressor and you must turn it on again. It runs out of air volume. Try to run an impact gun with 3 gallons but your gun is magic. When I need air I turn on the 60 gallon and when I need gas in a gun I shoot a slower powder. I put wood in the stove for heat and when it is gone, the stove gets cold. But I suppose you can run your truck on empty too. It is all the same, you need fuel.

You truly do not understand! Pressure trace show the lowering of pressure. Bullseyes pressure peaks with a much lower energy level so at the same pressure velocity is less because of Less volume of gas to excelerate the bullet. The powder with the most energy will peak its pressure with a greater volume of gas. But you can’t comprehend the reality of it.

Last edited by jwp475; 12/27/17.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I think everyone would like to hear about your 1” 500 groups with revolver. It’s about time don’t you think.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sometimes someone will find you don't know a thing but you want to be the best with more knowledge but you fail. Nothing is better then experience and testing. Nobody has tested more then I have. 64 years with revolvers and you know more. NOT.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Sometimes someone will find you don't know a thing but you want to be the best with more knowledge but you fail. Nothing is better then experience and testing. Nobody has tested more then I have. 64 years with revolvers and you know more. NOT.

Tell us about you 1” groups at 500 yards, we all want to hear about those. Which revolver did you use? What scope? Inquiring minds want to know.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How many deer have you killed?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I think everyone would like to hear about your 1” 500 groups with revolver. It’s about time don’t you think.

No, best was 2-1/2" sorry for your lies. I never claimed what I did not do. I don't think you ever shot more then 10 feet. I was shooting the .44 at near 600 yards in 1956 and breaking rocks on a RR berm off hand. My chuck gun was the Flat Top to 100 and the .222 to 300 and the .220 to farther. I hit 1" targets at 100 with my S&W 27 at 100 before you seen light and got spanked. 358156 HP with 2400. You have no idea.
Run out of gas and you can't push a bullet more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is a world of difference between 64 years of knowledge and 1 year of knowledge repeated for 64 years. You don't seem to have the most basic grasp of how the expanding gas from burning gunpowder accelerates a bullet, nor how a bullet is spin stabilized.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

How many deer have you killed?

Around 560 with maybe 190 with revolvers. Got 5 this season but 2 with a cross bow since shoulder injuries came back. Rest with the .44 SBH. What did you do? I am not rich so can't shoot bigger. I would not kill what I won't eat and give deer away since I only keep 2. They must tag them too. Deer do not get moved without a tag and the properties I hunt, the owners do not need a license. I don't need one either because of age.
I hunted with unlimited tags on farms and orchards with deer damage. Go to an orchard and get a pile of tags but the best was all the apples and free cider we could bring home. At one we were woken up since the workers were gone. Help fill a trailer with apples. Woman driver with the tractor trailer, don't know how she backed into the dock. We got on the fork lifts and loaded the trailer. John, you have no idea the friends we had. All the way from Cleveland to the river. Never needed to ask to hunt, Pull the trailer into the farm and then we were allowed to sleep in the houses. Do you know what it is like to toss a sleeping bag in front of a fireplace at a farm? No, you sure don't. You are full of hate. I love my friends and you would be welcome at my home too. I refuse to hate you. We can get along but it is up to you. Why do you keep pounding on me? I would love to call you but I am afraid and will not call Whitworth for the same reason. It would not be well. People here see what you do and it is not good. Do you have a friend at all?

Last edited by bfrshooter; 12/27/17. Reason: spelling
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No, best was 2-1/2" sorry for your lies. I never claimed what I did not do. I don't think you ever shot more then 10 feet. I was shooting the .44 at near 600 yards in 1956 and breaking rocks on a RR berm off hand. My chuck gun was the Flat Top to 100 and the .222 to 300 and the .220 to farther. I hit 1" targets at 100 with my S&W 27 at 100 before you seen light and got spanked. 358156 HP with 2400. You have no idea.

2 1/2” groups from a revolver at 500 yards! My mistake on the size. That is amazing .4 moa. Many rifles can’t shoot that at 500 yards. You are truly amazing! My hats off to you

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Wow.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

2 1/2” groups from a revolver at 500 yards! My mistake on the size. That is amazing .4 moa. Many rifles can’t shoot that at 500 yards. You are truly amazing! My hats off to you

It's OK. I never made the 45-70 rifle shoot that good either. Can it be the twist rate?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

There is a world of difference between 64 years of knowledge and 1 year of knowledge repeated for 64 years. You don't seem to have the most basic grasp of how the expanding gas from burning gunpowder accelerates a bullet, nor how a bullet is spin stabilized.

Oh I do. a charge of powder has a finite amount of gas. it does not keep pushing when pressure decreases. Look at the small .22 with a barrel too long, the velocity will go down when the powder is gone and so will a BP rifle with too much powder..
Stability is the proper spin for each bullet so when they went to a longer bullet in the AR why did they increase the twist?
I worked revolver bullets to the right velocity and it is the same as any other gun.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (10Glocks, 44mc, 7887mm08, AussieGunWriter, B52RadarNav, 35, 9 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,251
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.