-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 27 1 2 23 24 25 26 27
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him...the reward is Himself as given to us.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 358wsm

Sounds like a page right out of Smith's handbook.

really?...

below is what I posted earlier....

Christ is but the foundation on which to construct such [worthy] works.

1 Corinthians 3:11-15 (NIV)
11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw,
13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire,
and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work.
14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward.
15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

So there are those that are saved but with works proven not worthy of Gods Heavenly reward,
then there are those who are saved along with works proven worthy of Gods Heavenly reward.

You are someone who says Gods Heavenly reward mean squat.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, really.

Are you caught up in the deception of Ol Joe Smith..are you a Morman.?

If so, there is hope for you. But it won't come through your attempt to impress God with your works.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But it won't come through your attempt to impress God with your works.

Works that are deemed worthy by God are Heavenly rewarded, but you say God does not value them?

(btw): We are not talking about doing works to receive the GIFT of salvation , we are talking about God approved works
built on the Foundation of Christ, that result in Heavenly Reward for those who will receive salvation through grace.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Starman
But it won't come through your attempt to impress God with your works.

Works that are deemed worthy by God are Heavenly rewarded, but you say God does not value them?

(btw): We are not talking about doing works to receive the GIFT of salvation , we are talking about God approved works built
on the Foundation of Christ, that result in Heavenly Reward for those who will receive salvation through grace.

I know from whence you draw your concept of that from.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
God's Elect, those he chose to sit at his right hand, were chosen before foundation of the world. Before they were born. Before he created the heaven and the earth he chose his elect. You can try all you want to be a good person,and do good works, but it is by Grace that you are saved,and by believing in His son.
Who he made man, to suffer and die on the cross for our sins. Sins that cannot be escapen from, so Christ came, was made to be cursed' and suffered all our sins in Him. For it is written that all who hang on a cross are cursed. So ask yourself when you die and your soul is still alive, what did you do with God's son.

Last edited by Malcolm; 01/06/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
See, unless the Lord does the building, those that labor labor in vain.

I would suggest Mr Smith has built your house. And your foundation has a crack in it.

The Mormans that I have met are indeed some of the hardest working ppl.I know. And some of the nicest ppl I know.
It is sad to me that their motive is to somehow to gain the fluff.

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Ones reward could be, Prison Guard. cool

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by RickyD
To illustrate how our covenant is so much better, once saved we are promised eternal life, never to perish, and no one can pluck us from His hand, not even ourselves.
Then why did Christ bother talking about bounding & loosing sin?

Just got back this afternoon so sorry I didn't answer sooner.

Christ never talked about binding and loosening sin. The binding and loosening Christ spoke about was concerning our authority as believers and Heaven's role in that authority.

How do you explain this? He was talking to the apostles here -
Originally Posted by John 20
21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

And then in Matthew where he was talking to Peter -
Originally Posted by Matthew 16
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

I will admit that in Matthew Jesus wasn't simply talking about sin, he was talking about administrative authority too.

Why would Jesus say those things if His death was payment for all future sins? And why would Jesus tell everyone to be baptized for the forgiveness of sins? Obviously, there is more than one mechanism for the atonement of sin. Therefore, all of them must be necessary.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
“Work and pray
Live on hay
There’ll be pie in the sky
When we die”.

If it turns out that there is no afterlife, I’m still ahead for having trusted God.

If it turns out that we all go to heaven, I’m still ahead for having trusted God.

If it turns out that there ARE two different destinations in the afterlife, what are the chances that God, having guided me thru this life, will guide me to the bad destination?

“ The Peace that passes all understanding” is mine now. That is a fact.

Speculation about the future is detrimental to the Spiritual life I live now.

Carry on.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To illustrate how our covenant is so much better, once saved we are promised eternal life, never to perish, and no one can pluck us from His hand, not even ourselves.

Christ never talked about binding and loosening sin. The binding and loosening Christ spoke about was concerning our authority as believers and Heaven's role in that authority.

21 Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22 And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

I will admit that in Matthew Jesus wasn't simply talking about sin, he was talking about administrative authority too.

Why would Jesus say those things if His death was payment for all future sins? And why would Jesus tell everyone to be baptized for the forgiveness of sins? Obviously, there is more than one mechanism for the atonement of sin. Therefore, all of them must be necessary.

18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church,
This was written in Greek. In Greek, Peter is petros (masculine). It's a piece of rock like you'd find lying on the ground. The rock he'll build his church on is petra (feminine) and it's a massive, unmovable rock, like a cliff or mountain. It's FAR larger than a petros. Peter (petros) is a small rock in the Christian world. So what's the petra that he'll build his church on? 1 Corinthians 10:4 says '...and that Rock (petra) was Christ"

Jesus death isn't good for future sins? How about Eph 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—
9 not by works, so that no-one can boast.

This was future sin. Paul was writing to Greeks AFTER Jesus was gone. Yet he says that faith in Christ would save them. That faith saved them then and it will save us today. Nothing more is needed.
Jesus told us to be baptized but it was as a public confession of our faith. It was an acknowledgement that we had given ourselves to him.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Any of you around here should know by now that in a thread on or about the Christian faith AS will show up immediately or sooner as the unbelieving, but of course, all-knowing cynic. To borrow a Ronald Reagan phrase concerning liberals, he’s “so sure of what isn’t so.”

Yet, there he is.

I’m not quite sure if he’s a constant Wiki- dipper or what , but AS, your comments also show the truth in A. Lincoln’s statement, “better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.”

I put it in these terms because you don’t come to listen and inquire, or just non-invasively read, but to counter, disparage, and harangue. It leads one to wonder what has befallen you to cause you to so angrily (?), energetically, almost impulsively, try to defend your position of gross error. Nobody is commanding you to believe anything.

Some people though, seriously, want to ask and to learn.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wonder if the ACLU would represent the Christians. Oops, went to wrong thread.

Last edited by TAGLARRY; 01/06/18.
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
This was written in Greek. In Greek, Peter is petros (masculine). It's a piece of rock like you'd find lying on the ground. The rock he'll build his church on is petra (feminine) and it's a massive, unmovable rock, like a cliff or mountain. It's FAR larger than a petros. Peter (petros) is a small rock in the Christian world. So what's the petra that he'll build his church on? 1 Corinthians 10:4 says '...and that Rock (petra) was Christ"

Not how I read that, but then we've already hashed that.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by K22

Not how I read that, but then we've already hashed that.

The one thing that you can make sure of from the Greek is that Jesus used two different words for rock.One word was used for Peter and a different word was used for the rock that the church would be built upon. I can only conclude that Jesus did not mean that the church would be built on Peter,or he would have used the same word.

What I take from Jesus's statement is that Peter had a revelation from God,that Jesus was the Christ,The Son of God. I believe Jesus said that it was that revelation,that the Church would be built upon.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, Jesus spoke in Aramaic, not Greek. So Jesus called him Kephas or rock. In Aramaic there is only rock. As pointed out, once translated into Greek, you wouldn't name a man the feminine of anything.

In fact, Paul emphasizes this in his letters by writing the Aramaic name rather than translating it into the Greek that his letters were written in.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To borrow a Ronald Reagan phrase concerning liberals, he’s “so sure of what isn’t so.”
Reagan borrowed that from Will Rogers.

Likewise, Kennedy's 'ask not...' quote was borrowed. I don't know who originated it but it goes back a long ways. I remember reading it before Kennedy was elected.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Tyrone,all I can tell you about the verses in John 20 is that I don't fully understand them. As such though I won't build a doctrine based on them which invalidates or contradicts other scriptures that I do understand.To take them to mean that if an apostle doesn't forgive someone that they cannot be forgiven,would be to invalidate all the rest of scripture,so I'll only say that I don't think that's exactly what they mean and that I don't fully understand what they do mean.

Concerning baptism. I think much confusion is because the word baptism only means one thing to us. It means a religious ceremony. Baptism is a Greek word though that simply means immersed. I think sometimes baptism in the scriptures speak of being immersed in water,and sometimes baptism speaks of being immersed in Christ,which doesn't require water. I think everyone must be baptized(immersed) in Christ to be saved,and that the religious ceremony is simply a physical way of showing and establishing what was done in the spirit.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Actually, Jesus spoke in Aramaic, not Greek. So Jesus called him Kephas or rock. In Aramaic there is only rock. As pointed out, once translated into Greek, you wouldn't name a man the feminine of anything.

In fact, Paul emphasizes this in his letters by writing the Aramaic name rather than translating it into the Greek that his letters were written in.

That must put you at odds with contradicting catholic doctrine,one one side that the bible is free from errors,and on the other that the church is built on Peter.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not at all. There are a lot of apparent contradictions in the Bible. I believe we just don't understand how they are *not* contradictory.

In this case, of course, the Church is built on faith in Christ. That is one sense. It is also built on Christ as the way, the truth and the life. Another sense is that Christ was building a church but was about to leave his Earthly ministry and needed someone to administer it in his absence. This is shown by the transfer of the keys.
(Notice that he didn't send the paraclete to administer the new church, but to guide the leaders.)

Page 25 of 27 1 2 23 24 25 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 1badf350, 280Jeff, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.