Trump Won!
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bfrshooter

You could not hit a can at 20 yards. Whitwrorth seen me shoot a can at 200 yards. Not bags but Creedmore. What do you want? how about 5 shots in a can at 100 yards. Top hole for 5 shots.

You use Whitworth like a battle armor shield.

What I want is more about the 2 1/2” revolver groups at 200 yards. I also want to know more about the guidance system on those bullets that shoot 3” groups at 100 yards that magically shrink to 1/4” at 350 yards. Those two are ground breaking.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I do not use Whitworth at all, He will make you sick. But he shot here. You are an ant in the shorts

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I do not use Whitworth at all, He will make you sick. But he shot here. You are an ant in the shorts

How will Whitworth make me sick? Is he contagious?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
I'm gonna be a dead man by the 6 o'clock news, this thread is killing me. laugh

This is a great thread

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I was going to post something here about my .500 S&W, but I guess I've come to the wrong thread. Damn computer, got me screwed up again.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Silly? It is from real work. Actual work and not from bluffers that claim what they do with no proof. Smoke is in the air from keyboards punched hard. I tell all to come here and shoot what I give you and you will out shoot me. It is not me but what works.Will you show what you do? No pictures, strange if you are so good. Another internet troll.

John is the furthest from an internet troll. All your spouting is just proving you dont know what in the hell you are talking about. You can fall back on your years of experience, but that doesnt make you right. ALOT of us on here have years of real life experience too. There comes a time when one should just listen instead of always running ones mouth. I've learned a ton from others, as well as my own experiences.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

How will Whitworth make me sick? Is he contagious?

What I am saying is he is good and us old cronies can't do what he can anymore. Yes I need a rest now. I would say you do too.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

This is a great thread

laugh, i'm stopping right here ;]

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

This is a great thread

laugh, i'm stopping right here ;]

You must keep reading, the knowledge gained here could save your life one day.

If you are out in the wilds and you get lost, you're starving and freezing, basically clinging to life and then you remember this thread and you start laughing about all BS posted in this one. The laughter warms you up and the noise of your laughter allows the search party to find you.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, but me living inside the barrel is gonna fugg the rest of it up. cool

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Out of sheer curiosity I looked into some of this topic and found this:

https://www.americanhunter.org/arti...at-long-range-than-it-is-at-short-range/

Granted this article concerns rifles but makes seems a bit inconclusive and in any case seems to require very specific circumstances.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Is BFR actually just Boxer/BS when he's sober? Just curious.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scope parallax can result in what some have erroneously referred to as "bullets going to sleep" A rifle with a scope that doesn't have parallax issues will show a fairly linear dispersion of the group as the range increases.

Until someone shows me a target that was used as the aiming point and shot at at 100 yds, with backers at 200 and 300 yds that show tighter groups at 200 and 300 yds, I call utter bs on the going to sleep myth.

In gun lore there are many theories that get thrown about to describe phenomena people don't understand, and it gets repeated by those who don't understand but want to appear like they do.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
What a goat rope...... I know a couple of folks that have four inch Smith 500s. They like them a lot. I'm tempted to buy one also just because of the fun factor. And I've already got a 5 inch 500 Linebaugh and am building a 4 5/8 on a bisley vaquero. To much fun these big guns, but I don't shoot from a rest and I enjoy my life in the Beartooths

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Scope parallax can result in what some have erroneously referred to as "bullets going to sleep" A rifle with a scope that doesn't have parallax issues will show a fairly linear dispersion of the group as the range increases.

Until someone shows me a target that was used as the aiming point and shot at at 100 yds, with backers at 200 and 300 yds that show tighter groups at 200 and 300 yds, I call utter bs on the going to sleep myth.

In gun lore there are many theories that get thrown about to describe phenomena people don't understand, and it gets repeated by those who don't understand but want to appear like they do.

Brian Lietz did that and found no rifle that shot smaller groups at distance than at 100. Groups are measure in minutes of angle angles doesn’t shrink with distance.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not true, Weights are correct but velocity and spin is needed for each. Just try a .44 330 in the .44 at 1100 FPS. How much cardboard would you need at 50 Yards? The .44 with a 330 gr NEEDS to BE at 1300 FPS+. The .45 Colt with a 1 in 16" needs 1160 fps WITH A 335 GR. The .475 wants in the area of 1360 FPS with a 420 gr and the JRH wants 1350 FPS with a 440 gr. You will NOT shoot slower. You will NOT shoot faster either.
A drop of 50 to 100 FPS with a short barrel will remove you from accuracy. It really is spin rates with velocity. To make a 4" barrel shoot like a 6" means the exact same velocity or more. .44 mag at 200 yards.

How many people have to tell you that you don't know what you're talking about before you start believing them? How many forums have you been banned from for arguing this stupidity about twist rate? You can shoot. You can cast. You can handload. Your observations are accurate. It's your analysis of what you observed that is retarded. Your logic is fatally flawed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
Out of sheer curiosity I looked into some of this topic and found this:

https://www.americanhunter.org/arti...at-long-range-than-it-is-at-short-range/

Granted this article concerns rifles but makes seems a bit inconclusive and in any case seems to require very specific circumstances.

I got an article on just this from Precision Shooting. I'll go look.

Precision Shooting has always been my bible for any Shooting question.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Powder burns down the barrel and adds to pressure. After all the powder is consumed no more is added. It is why a load of Bullseye will never equal a load of 296. Why do we have all burn rates. NO when the powder is gone, gas will not expand more. It is GONE. Fill a large tire with a 3 gallon compressor and you must turn it on again. It runs out of air volume. Try to run an impact gun with 3 gallons but your gun is magic. When I need air I turn on the 60 gallon and when I need gas in a gun I shoot a slower powder. I put wood in the stove for heat and when it is gone, the stove gets cold. But I suppose you can run your truck on empty too. It is all the same, you need fuel.

This is just objectively false and relies on the wrong analogies. Moving or expanding gas (or other things) can continue moving or expanding after the energy source no longer is operative. For example, if you blow on a little sailboat, the air you blew at it will continue to exert force on it and move it for some brief period after your breath has ceased. If you ignite a stick of dynamite, there is a ripple effect, in which even after the initial explosion is silenced, the outward pressure continues. If you push a toy car uphill, it will continue to move uphill for a brief period even after you stopped touching it. If you have a long-enough barrel, after the powder has completely burned, the gas expanding from that ignition will continue to push outward for some time. After the powder burning itself is over, the expanding gas itself has energy that takes time to do its work--move something (the bullet).

What you are saying is the equivalent of saying that the bullet itself no longer pushes anything after the powder burns or it leaves the barrel. Nope, it keep on impacting the air or other matter (including game or wet newspaper) in front of its trajectory, just like the gases sent into motion by a burning powder push even after the burning is over.

Of course, what powder you use, the bullet weight and construction, and the barrel length, etc. ... matter, but the expanding/moving gas does not stop the instant the burning stops any more than the bullet itself stops moving,

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Once powder is gone, there is no more pressure to be had. powder that is left after peak will just sustain pressure, not make it more. It flattens the curve. Gas is limited when powder is all gone. It will drop to zero but some more powder will add gas. But out in the air with a short barrel does not add push. A .44 mag with a 2" barrel is a loud .44 special with less velocity.
A .500 with a 4"barrel at 100 +. get real. Your keyboard smokes.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 163bc, 53 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,869
Posts18,497,508
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.