Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by rost495

Its a damn shame though really. We had planned to run into fairbanks ever so often and buy a month or more worht of food etc.. at a time. Can't really afford it in Delta I dont' think.

Oh well, just have to work harder/longer while there.

To-be-honest,-I-nearly-didn't-renew-the-membership-I've-had-for-years-when-Sam's-was-a-really-good-annual-shopping-place-for-rural-folks.These-days,-with-the-Fred-Meyer-stores-we-have-in-Fairbanks,-there-isn't-much-we-buy-at-Sam's-which-we-can't-get-for-better-prices-at-Fred's.....and-much-better-selection-and-friendly,-helpful-employees.-And-the-few-bulk-things-we'll-miss-we-can-probably-get-from-Amazon.-(Paper-products-are-probably-the-biggest-ones.)

Sam's Club opens the doors early, and ahead of the general public, to chefs and restaurant owners around Fairbanks. These people buy produce, oil, and all kinds of foods by the ftat- cart load. The closing of Sam's Club will affect every restaurant and other food-related business in Fairbanks and vicinity, as well as in the bush. It will also affect people living all over the interior who drive to Fairbanks a time or two a month to buy food in bulk.

Last edited by Ray; 01/12/18.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting on Fred Meyers prices, have not been in one in a few years, so was not aware pricing was similar to sams.

Sucks that it affects big pallet prices and such though.

Wonder if 3 bears will be competitive or just move in and make more profit if they do? Found out 3 bears is "right" down the road in TOK which is a bit closer than Fbanks will be.

Time will tell.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

Its a damn shame though really. We had planned to run into fairbanks ever so often and buy a month or more worht of food etc.. at a time. Can't really afford it in Delta I dont' think.

Oh well, just have to work harder/longer while there.

To-be-honest,-I-nearly-didn't-renew-the-membership-I've-had-for-years-when-Sam's-was-a-really-good-annual-shopping-place-for-rural-folks.These-days,-with-the-Fred-Meyer-stores-we-have-in-Fairbanks,-there-isn't-much-we-buy-at-Sam's-which-we-can't-get-for-better-prices-at-Fred's.....and-much-better-selection-and-friendly,-helpful-employees.-And-the-few-bulk-things-we'll-miss-we-can-probably-get-from-Amazon.-(Paper-products-are-probably-the-biggest-ones.)

Sam's Club opens the doors early, and ahead of the general public, to chefs and restaurant owners around Fairbanks. These people buy produce, oil, and all kinds of foods by the ftat- cart load. The closing of Sam's Club will affect every restaurant and other food-related business in Fairbanks and vicinity, as well as in the bush. It will also affect people living all over the interior who drive to Fairbanks a time or two a month to buy food in bulk.

Yep;-small-businesses-seem-to-be-very-concerned-and-will-no-doubt-be-very-affected.-But-I-would-imagine-this-creates-a-void...an-opportunity-which-will-not-go-unfilled-somehow.-Was-just-there-on-Tuesday-and-the-parking-lot-was-as-busy-as-it-always-is.There-are-already-social-media-campaigns-started-to-enlist-Costco-or-someone-else-to-come-in.

But-I-would-imagine-that-Freddy's-will-be-a-decent-alternative-for-'rural/locals'-who-come-to-town-periodically-to-shop.Granted,-some-of-the-really-good-deals-regular-shoppers-find-might-not-be-available-but-we-buy-quite-a-variety-of-items-regulary-which-are-cheaper-at-Freds-than-at-Sam's.Perhaps-that-has-hurt-Sam's-business-locally.

Interesting on Fred Meyers prices, have not been in one in a few years, so was not aware pricing was similar to sams.

I-have-heard-that-the-Fred's/west-store-(there's-two)-does-more-business-$$$-wise-than-any-other-FM-store-in-the-nation,but-that-may-not-be-accurate.Home-Depot-(and-others)have-better-prices-on-oils-than-the-case-prices-at-Sam's.-They-are-also-a-good-place-to-buy-various-utility-batteries-in-bulk-quantities......and-the-least-expensive-cardboard-shipping-boxes-in-town.

If-you-buy-rice-or-brown-sugar-in-25-or-50-pounds-bags-or-peaches-in-#10-cans,-that's-going-to-be-a-problem.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fred Meyer is also the best gun shop in Anchorage for new gun prices. I have bought quite a few guns from them simply because their prices were far lower than anyone else. Also, first Tuesday of every month is geezer appreciation day and everything, including guns, are an extra 10% off for over 55..

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Fred Meyer is also the best gun shop in Anchorage for new gun prices. I have bought quite a few guns from them simply because their prices were far lower than anyone else. Also, first Tuesday of every month is geezer appreciation day and everything, including guns, are an extra 10% off for over 55..

I've bought several guns at Freddys on Dimond. My wife asked me to pick up some milk on my way home from work one day. I came home late with milk and a new XD! Hey it was 30% off their sale price, what's a guy to do? Now my wife and kids tell me not to get distracted when I go in there. laugh

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
At Freddy,s the discounts stack, and additional like friends and family 15% plus sales discounts . Most stores will not allow you to stack discounts.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

I've bought several guns at Freddys on Dimond. My wife asked me to pick up some milk on my way home from work one day. I came home late with milk and a new XD! Hey it was 30% off their sale price, what's a guy to do? Now my wife and kids tell me not to get distracted when I go in there. laugh

Had you been a geezer on the right day the price on your XD would have shocked you!

Mine was unreal...

And I even got a free turkey!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
thats a great distraction !!!well done

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

Had you been a geezer on the right day the price on your XD would have shocked you!

Mine was unreal...

And I even got a free turkey!

Well I'm not rushing into that discount! Haha!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kk alaska
At Freddy,s the discounts stack, and additional like friends and family 15% plus sales discounts . Most stores will not allow you to stack discounts.

And don't forget the fuel points. Getting $1/gallon off is always nice.

Jeff

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I'm betting when analyzed in terms of revenue dollars per 100,000 residents, the Dimond Costco blows away every other STORE on the planet, not just every other Costco store.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
I'm betting when analyzed in terms of revenue dollars per 100,000 residents, the Dimond Costco blows away every other STORE on the planet, not just every other Costco store.

Um not even close....

Last edited by WDH; 01/13/18.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by WDH

Um not even close....

Oh, I'm pretty sure it's close. The Oahu Costco is serving a million people, the Dimond Costco around 300,000. The S. Korea Costco tops them all, but it is serving millions of people, and producing less than double the Dimond Costco's sales.

Per capita, nothing can touch us.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We’re #1!

We’re #1!

We’re #1!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Man I hate to see Sams closing anyplace, especially considering the jobs that will be lost. Down here Sams outnumber Costco and my closest Costco is 25 miles away. Sams are both about 10 miles. I much prefer Costco and I think Sams is just a glorified wal mart. I have been to the Costco on Dimond and it is a great store. What impressed me was the coffee production they had going there. Of my trips to Anchorage I don't think I ever went to your Sams. My only complaint in the past few years of Costco is they eliminated the ice cream bar at the snack bar. If you guys ever had one, you know what I am talking about!!!

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I expect Costco to expand into the Fbx Sam's club site.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

I expect Costco to expand into the Fbx Sam's club site.

They better. People may die if they don't*; they may even leave the state! (And perhaps it'll look a bit more like Alaska around here again.)

*So say the social-soothists I've been reading.

BTW, can you imagine the alarm which would be expressed (but go unread) if someone managed to flash NA's electronic devices and consequently our traffic control and power grid?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, golllllly.

look who bought a space bar! Discounted at Sam's?
smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I took a chance at the local transfer-site recycling site...........managed to beat the guy who parks there every day surveying the goods while they're still warm. It has PC keys - and only one missing- and only a slight cigarette burn, but it's better than the one that wasn't much good....a lot better than the one that wasn't much good after I made it no good at all. (Don't mess with glued-together bluetooth devices and expect them to get better! cry)

And never underestimate how cheap a cheap bastard will go at times......... laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Just had a serious discussion with someone that knows exactly how the numbers add up and was showed how to understand the current numbers versus the ones I was understanding...

Adding the second store really changed the dynamics, but it really did nothing but move than more difficult aspects of doing business off-campus.

Yup, there are bigger stores than there used to be.

Show me another store where another store was opened to make the new store work...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 160user, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,975
Posts18,480,777
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.