Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NVhntr
. Robert Nardelli, formerly of Chrysler, Home Depot, and GE and Freedom Group, was named by Conde Nast in 2009 as one of the worst CEOs of all time.

marissa mayer of yahoo take the cake for worst CEO

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
their stuff has been junk for a long time anyways. same thing with another company, vista outdoors.

I have never had an issue with Barnes bullets then and now. You?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I own a Mdl 700 BDL in 7mm Rem. Magnum, a Mdl 1100 in 12 Ga. Magnum, and a Mdl 788 in 222 Remington. All are fine quality guns. The newest of those was purchased over 40 years ago. The only problem I had with any one of them was a factory recall to upgrade the trigger on the model 700.

Two years ago I purchased a model 700 in .270 Winchester for a graduation present for my Grandsons High School graduation. The stock was molded fiberglass(?) and the fit and finish weren't up to the quality of the older firearms. It does shoot well with three shots going into 1" or thereabout groups at 100 yds. So far no problems. But I am off of purchasing anything Remington.

I do have several Marlin manufactured fireamrs which were purchased long before being gobbled up by Remington.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Ever watch the Sopranos? Remember when the guy who owned the sporting goods store got into heavy debt with Tony and his crew in a card game? They took over his store and made him take out huge loans which they gave to themselves. Then they sold a lot of his merchandise out the back door at a loss for quick cash. Then when the banks wouldn’t loan any more money and the creditors were coming to lock the doors, they burned it down and collected the insurance money.

That is pretty much what a PE firm does to a company. But instead of gaudily dressed overweight Italian guys, it is Wall Street MBAs in $3k suits. And of course, it is all legal.

That 4 line paragraph sums up perfectly what PE firms do to companies. Run up debt, HUGE bonuses for directors, sell off the scraps, move on.

They use to be called Corp. Raiders. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A lot of folks are not willing to pay for real quality whilst allowing the builder to be profitable. Said profitability defined by the stock owner/stock holder.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a lot of their guns. I like them. This is sad!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[b][/b]
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by mark shubert
[quote=Stormin_Norman]Too many MBA’s, not enough gun looneys

[size:20pt][/size]

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

I'm both an MBA and a rifle looney, being either isn't that big a deal.

Remington isn't doing a good job of building firearms that can successfully compete with Ruger and Savage on price and quality.

This explains all. These people have historically underpriced Rem. but to be judged of lower quality.......

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm willing to bet that a lot of these people calling Remington guns junk don't own any. My "junky" Remington's work just fine.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I'm willing to bet that a lot of these people calling Remington guns junk don't own any. My "junky" Remington's work just fine.

It goes way beyond just "Remington".

Remington Outdoor Group owns 13 firearm or shooting industry companies, including Marlin, H&R, DPMS, Bushmaster...

For one, I don't really care to see that large of a percentage of the firearms industry here in the US, crash and burn.

That wouldn't be good news for anyone.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I have plenty of Remingtons products, from an old style 760 that my grandfather bought new, a half dozen or so 870's from 410 - 12 gauge, and several model 700's and model 7's, but all of the are 20 or so years old and fine quality, their products of today, are not up to the quality standards that today's machining capabilities are capable of. Poor designs, cost cutting on materials and processes is showing in declining sales and profitability at a time when both gun and ammo sales are going thru the roof. They are in desperate need of new management and new priorities.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Ever watch the Sopranos? Remember when the guy who owned the sporting goods store got into heavy debt with Tony and his crew in a card game? They took over his store and made him take out huge loans which they gave to themselves. Then they sold a lot of his merchandise out the back door at a loss for quick cash. Then when the banks wouldn’t loan any more money and the creditors were coming to lock the doors, they burned it down and collected the insurance money.

That is pretty much what a PE firm does to a company. But instead of gaudily dressed overweight Italian guys, it is Wall Street MBAs in $3k suits. And of course, it is all legal.

Spot on

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

It goes way beyond just "Remington".

Remington Outdoor Group owns 13 firearm or shooting industry companies, including Marlin, H&R, DPMS, Bushmaster...

For one, I don't really care to see that large of a percentage of the firearms industry here in the US, crash and burn.

That wouldn't be good news for anyone.

+1. I’m no Remington guy, but I want to see them strong and thriving.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have two new Remington Rifles.......Both seem like Good Quality to me.....The 5R is a tack Driver....Fit and Finnish look perfect to me........I also have a new RM380......Fit and Finnish and function are 1st Notch to me...I just put 200 rounds thru the 380 No failures of any kind.....I also have several other make of rifles in my safe...Savage, Ruger, Kimber, They appear to be of no better quality than the Remington.......Ruger and Savage are definitely no Better quality than Remington......Not that long ago I was anti Remington...They are Now my favorite rifle by far...And I have owned at least 50 in the last 10 years never got a bad one.....Pass me a Remington.

If you believe everything you read on the internet you would Own nothing.....Because it is all junk crazy

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Doesn't surprise me - considering the crap they've been making over the last decade or so..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This is about Cerebus, not Remington as a gun manufacturer.

If there is low quality control, that is because of the managing financial partner, not because the guns are junk. If the design of the 700 is the same as it was 20-40 years ago when they were awesome, then it's all about the financials not the production.

Alas, all the new Remington shotguns and rifles I've seen shot in the last 5 years have been more functional/accurate than anything from the past.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
So if I want a Remmy action for a future build, I ought to be buying one now?

Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
their stuff has been junk for a long time anyways. same thing with another company, vista outdoors.

I have never had an issue with Barnes bullets then and now. You?

I tried my first and last Barnes product this year during rifle season. Shot an ''X" through a large bodied spike just over one-hundred yards distant with my Roberts. Failed to expand. Shame, because they shoot like a house a'fire in my rifle.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The best thing that could happen to the shooting industry and for consumers is for them to go bust and for there to be a fire sale of the various brand names in there. Someone will by Remington, Barnes, Bushmaster, etc. without all that debt load and make a go of it. There is a lot of value in those names, though admittedly, the last decade has been hard on the Remington reputation.

Remington needs to make 700s, 870s, and 1100s. They can sell enough of those to be profitable if they don’t have the huge debt. If they want to innovate, do something easy and pretty cheap like building a 700 that takes AICS magazines.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They should hire Bristoe so he could show them how to machine things. Get some 'fire influence in there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm willing to bet that a lot of these people calling Remington guns junk don't own any.

If I thought Remington's were junk, why would I own any?

BTW, I don't own any, if that tells you anything.

Anyway, shouldn't this be on the Remington Collectors sub-forum? Oh wait, never mind.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Remington 700 has always been a great action. Remington has done a good job of building and barreling those actions through the years. They should have found a better way of attaching the bolt handle and they should have been more proactive in dealing with the trigger issue. But the 700 is today a great American rifle as it always has been. QC hasn't always been spot on unfortunately. Remington 870 shotguns are the gold standard in pump shotguns. Remington should have done something about the rust attracting matte finish though. I have literally watched rust develop in heavy salt marsh air. Remington totally missed an opportunity to make a "guide" gun out of their pump rifle platform. A 338 federal (or the chambering of your choice) in a stainless synthetic platform would make a sweet "guide" gun. Mine would be stainless, carbon fiber synthetic with a straight grip stock and an 18" barrel in 338 Federal.

Remington managed to malign the Marlin name. Sorta. Marlin was always a budget gun. They had their share of issues but the lever guns were generally functional, reliable and well put together. Remington undeniably botched the initial manufacture of Marlin lever guns. There were serious fit and function issues and customer service and repair was simply bad in dealing with those issues. While Remington has finally gotten mostly back on track with the lever guns, they will never recover from the damage they did in mishandling that label. What's weird is that Marlin rimfires never appeared to suffer the same problems. They remain well respected budget rimfires.

What was that horrible damned cheap Remington bolt rifle that was being made in the mid 90's? A 710? That thing was a pre Cerebrus abortion of a rifle. So we can't pin all the blame on that takeover.

Remington customer service across the board has been pretty darned lackluster through all their missteps beginning with the 710. That has undoubtedly hurt them. We consumers can be pretty forgiving of manufacturing and quality control issues as long as customer service and repair is good. See Ruger. You can even get away with bad customer service if your product is exceptional. See Tikka.

In some ways it saddens me to see this happening with Remington. My Papaw was a Remington man. I am sure there are some good, dedicated craftsmen working with the company. I never want to see a quality worker suffer. But I'll be damned if they didn't bring this failure on themselves. Through all of this I never got so much as a hint that the company gave a schidt.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 7887mm08, 160user, 69sportfury, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,806 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,108
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.