-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me, I had A LOT rather pay $349.00 for a 6x42 with illumination than $299.00 for a 6x42 without.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Formidilosus I appreciate your input and respect you and your suggestion. I follow your posts and value your input.

I shall forward on the:

"The first requirement MUST be absolute durability above all else. Second, MUST be perfect tracking. Even if you do both things, if you make it with 1/4moa adjustments and a duplex you're going to sell all of about 20 of them. Make it with 1/10th mils adjustments, low pro elevation turret, capped windage turret, a well designed mil reticle, and the durability to fall off of a cliff and still be zeroed perfectly.... and it will be the next SWFA SS 6x42mm MQ- you won't be able to keep them in stock."

Constructive advise is always welcome and greatly appreciated. If/when we see this project through I will call upon you to ask for your evaluation of the scope, if that would be alright.

I agree with Formidilosus on everything...but...from a hunting standpoint the reticle needs to be bold enough to shoot in low light. Heavy outer bars coming closer to the center. It's a 6x hunting scope, even a 2700fps .5 bc bullet is only going to slide 4MOA at 500 yards with a 10mph wind..... On a hunting scope, don't sacrifice a bold reticle for a thin reticle with more width than is going to be used.

Amen !
I in my OLD age now have Fixed 6x42 Scopes on ALL my Rifles except my Win. 1895 405 WCF
Leupold FX-3 or FX-III 6x42 with Heavy Duplex one with Leupold Custom Shop German#4
one Meopta Meopro 6x42 with their German#4 much closer to center than the Leupold!
I dont need hold over reticle here in L.A. (Lower Alabama) MOST shots I have had at deer here
is under 100 yds.
I need a reticle these OLD EYES can see at DARK THIRTY when
Our Bucks finally start moving
AMRA

Last edited by AMRA; 02/12/18.

Molan Labe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My big complaint other than not being able to find a fixed 2 1/2 or 3 to put on my lever guns is that scope tube mounting length seems to be getting smaller and smaller. I don't like having to use offset rings to put a scope on a sav 110.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doug,
Nicely written post. And an honest one. Thank you. I hope whatever scope Cameraland decides on, is a success.
When you mentioned Pentax optics, their disappearance surprised me. Not sure of the year, but, in the late 90's[?], I bought a Pentax 8x42 DCF HR II binocular. One of the brightest, clearest I've looked thru, especially in that price range. Still have and use them now. Sad to see companies like Pentax go by the way side. Good luck in your endeavor's Doug.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Most hunters now days want a holdover reticle, or the ability to dial range

Not in the Northeast they don't and I never see anybody with a fixed power scope here either.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
My big complaint other than not being able to find a fixed 2 1/2 or 3 to put on my lever guns is that scope tube mounting length seems to be getting smaller and smaller. I don't like having to use offset rings to put a scope on a sav 110.
Same here.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Same here.

That's because there's two of you that want one.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Same here.

I was mainly talking about all these short tube scopes that don't fit hardly anything without putting on one of those damned ugly picatinny rails or goofy azz offset rings.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rifletom
Doug,
Nicely written post. And an honest one. Thank you. I hope whatever scope Cameraland decides on, is a success.
When you mentioned Pentax optics, their disappearance surprised me. Not sure of the year, but, in the late 90's[?], I bought a Pentax 8x42 DCF HR II binocular. One of the brightest, clearest I've looked thru, especially in that price range. Still have and use them now. Sad to see companies like Pentax go by the way side. Good luck in your endeavor's Doug.

Thank you. I had a bunch of friends at Pentax and was shocked when they got "el shafto grande"

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Same here.

I was mainly talking about all these short tube scopes that don't fit hardly anything without putting on one of those damned ugly picatinny rails or goofy azz offset rings.

Just joking my friend. I've complained about the newer scopes having such short tubes too. Like the new VX5 has an objective bell that tapers nearly all the way to the turret. it leaves about an inch of ring space in front of the turret. Becides that all the scope companies are coming out with the super shorties. Just another verification as to who is driving the market.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doug,

Thank you. I had a bunch of friends at Pentax and was shocked when they got "el shafto grande"

I remember when the pentex DCF water proof came out. it was such a great binocular for the money. the first nice binoculars I ever bought were the DCF SP's of course from camerland. They really had a decent optics business going then. The rifle scopes I hated personally. The gameseeker I took off and gave to my kids to pay with as a toy. All that was probably a dozen years or more ago. Pentax was a very good optics company back then. no one has really take their place since, and those that have don't make as good of stuff and its all lip stick on a pig chinese stuff.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
New invention you could list for sale:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Smokey262

What do you attribute the slow sales of the Meopta MeoPro 3-10x44 Plex GDLE to?

I just think the 3.5-10x44 is not that popular a size.

Maybe a 2-10x40 or a 4-20x50 would have done better.

When we did this we thought:
The Zeiss conquest 3.5-10 sold fairly well at around $550.00. Meopta made this scope for Zeiss and it essentially was a re-wrapped MeoPro. We figured at only $349.99 it was a homerun and we'd blow through them offering a great scope at a great price. We had to commit to a run of 400 scopes. It took 3 years to move through what we had predicted a 6 month supply.
Live and learn

Doug,

From the other side, being in both the pure shooting, and the hunting world- specifically western back pack hunting I get a different take than most.

I vaguely remember the CL Meopta scopes, and just as then, when I read abut it in this thread my first thought was- "won't sell". Here's why-

The first thing to realize is that the greater hunting community does NOT drive the market anymore and is not the ones spending money each year. I know most hunters will be upset about the thought that they aren't "THE"market, but they're not. The shooting community is the market it. It isn't hard to see why. Every pure hunter that I know buys a very limited amount of guns, ammo, optics and accessories. Of what they do buy, it's almost always going to be traditional (or offer something unique). Contrast that with the pure shooters: they are always chasing the next advantage- new rifles, ammo, optics, etc, etc. And they consume it in far larger quantities.

As an example- all of the "pure hunters" where I work even seeing the total failures of those scopes still tend to buy Leupold, Swarovski, etc. for their hunting rifles. Of which they usually have only one or two and outside of work shoot a box or two of ammo a year. They may average a new scope every two-three years and they don't know what a Meopta is, and would never spend $350 on one.
On the other side- the "shooters" take the lessons learned at work and apply it to all of their shooting and put Nightforce, SWFA, Bushnell Elite Tactical, etc. on their hunting rifles that they shoot 5-10k rounds a year out of. The average guy probably buys 4-5 new scopes a year and they want the same things in them that they want from work scopes- reliability, durability, good reticles, good turrets. They don't care about traditional brands and absolutely would try a Meopta if it was bombproof. If the first few worked- they'd buy ten each.

Your "Meopta MeoPro 3-10x44 Plex GDLE" appeals to neither group. The traditional hunters won't actually choose it over a Leupold, and it does absolutely nothing for the dudes that actually shoot. Your 6x special scope is in all likelihood going to be the same. It's not without merit, but the "simple fixed 6x with simple reticle that's truly reliable" is WAAAAY over represented on the campfire. Not only that, but it doesn't take much looking back to see that the vast majority of those clamoring for it don't generally follow through and actually buy that many scopes.
I'm not saying don't build it, as I think there needs to be that scope in the market, but I am saying that shooters buy scopes. SWFA sells every 6x42mm and 3-9x42mm SS MQ scope they can make because they work for shooters who hunt, and for hunters who shoot. Getting a company to make a neat 6x scope that is built the same as all their other scopes is an absolute waste of time. It will be a flop.

The first requirement MUST be absolute durability above all else. Second, MUST be perfect tracking. Even if you do both things, if you make it with 1/4moa adjustments and a duplex you're going to sell all of about 20 of them. Make it with 1/10th mils adjustments, low pro elevation turret, capped windage turret, a well designed mil reticle, and the durability to fall off of a cliff and still be zeroed perfectly.... and it will be the next SWFA SS 6x42mm MQ- you won't be able to keep them in stock.

That's an excellent post & I completely agree with your analysis..............& yes, mechanical reliability is THE primary requirement.

Some of these newer start ups:
Tract, Maven, GPO, Athlon, etc will go the distance as Vortex did 15 or so years ago.

As for all those manufacturers making it, I don't think so.......................5 years form now, the only one with a chance to survive will be Athlon as they seem pretty well financed, & that's only if the product lives up to it's hype & claims. Time will tell.

MM

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Smokey262

What do you attribute the slow sales of the Meopta MeoPro 3-10x44 Plex GDLE to?

Maybe a 2-10x40 or a 4-20x50 would have done better.

When we did this we thought:
The Zeiss conquest 3.5-10 sold fairly well at around $550.00. Meopta made this scope for Zeiss and it essentially was a re-wrapped MeoPro. We figured at only $349.99 it was a homerun and we'd blow through them offering a great scope at a great price. We had to commit to a run of 400 scopes. It took 3 years to move through what we had predicted a 6 month supply.
Live and learn

I got one of them and love it. It is a great hunting scope. I hunt a fair amount in the woods, on the north side of a mountain in Arkansas. It gets pretty gray in their an hour or so before last shooting light in the evenings. The additional objective diameter, compared to the more typical 40, is very useful.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Just wish swfa would make a hunting version of the 3-9x42 like others have mentioned
Capped windage
Reduced profile elevation with zero stop
3- 4 extra ounces is a tiny price to pay for reliability and excellent tracking.
$500ish
They would sell for sure.

Last edited by renegade50; 02/12/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What everybody really wants is a $300 Leupold that moves when you spin the little thingys and stays where you put it for 50 years. But it has to be a Leupold.

Last edited by Fireball2; 02/12/18.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Way I see it scope manufacturers are victims of their own policies.

Think of the typical old curmudgeon. Shoots three rounds two days before deer season to check zero.
Requirement #1- Scope needs to stay zeroed. What a concept.

These guys don't spend $1200 on a scope.
Requirement #2- Scope must be affordable (as cheap as possible and still work. If they could get that for 80 bucks, they'd do it.)

If Old Curmudgeon hooked his bootlaces on the vent knob in the 73 Blazer on the way out the door and fell on his head, he may have to sight the gun in. When he turns the little thingys, the bullets need to go someplace other than where they were going before he turned the little thingys. How is the box of ammo going to last 100 years if he burns it all up trying to chase the little thingys with the bullets?
Requirement #3- Track. The scope must track.

Old Curmudgeon doesn't dial. Old Curmudgeon doesn't use hashmarks to estimate holdover. Old Curmudgeon shoots the first spike he sees at 42 yards and goes home till next year. He and Martha can the venison and he puts his pre-64 Model 70 in 270 away until next year, when he will repeat all of the above. Old Curmudgeon likes Leupolds because they're made in America, always have been.

This is where scope manufacturers have lost Old Curmudgeon. He doesn't do acronyms. He doesn't buy a Crythlon 2.349 x17.64 x43 7/8's BFDHSTRD or care what LRHS stands for. Old Curmudgeon just wants his gun to shoot where it did last year so he can shoot another spike and go home to Martha. Old Curmudgeon doesn't want to know how many lines a manufacturer builds or imports, he just wants a 3-9 Leupold, because he knows what he's getting and it works.

If you want to sell an acronym scope, Old Curmudgeon is not your guy. He wants a Leupold, that works. Good American company that Leupold. Yessir.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I dunno. That's pretty close to the 3.5-10x40 Leupold that's a huge seller.

Maybe it was just that not enough people were familiar with the brand then.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you are catering to the 24hourcampfire crowd, I don't think you are going to sell many. Matter of fact you probably will get 20 pages of flack when they are announced. One would think that a line of scopes in the 1x4, 2x7, and 3x9 range that that:

Are reliable
Don't weight 2 pounds
Aren't 20 inches long
Don't have busy reticles
Made for both spinners and non-spinners
1 inch tube
Good eye relief
Easy mounting on most firearms
Can be upgraded??
Are affordable to most

Would sell well..

Personally, I like fixed 4x and most likely would try one of your 6x if it were a 1 inch tube without turrents and a hunting reticle. That is 1. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doug,

I still have and use my Pentax SP WP 10x42's and love them. Bought them from Cameraland I think. I remember getting a rebate on them too. I ended up finding a like new used pair of 8x42's for my son. Those were his first binoculars and he has been using them for years. I remember Mule Deer always speaking highly of those binoculars. A couple of years ago I thought I lost my pair. I PM'd Mule Deer and he suggested I would have to pay north of 1K to get comparable glass. I thankfully found the binoculars a few days later. I misplaced them after a Bear hunt.

Yep, it's hard to believe Pentax lost that market.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (257robertsimp, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 823 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,396
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.