-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Schools have sought this added responsibility. This is a failure of public responsibility. Pure and simple it was mission creep, and should not have happened. Where do we go from here?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
All I know is that from the time that I grew up until now that the world has changed, and not for the better. My parents both worked full time to support four kids, but worked opposite shifts to make sure one of them were always home for the kids...show me any modern family that would do the same.

I'm not the most religious person on the planet (can't tell you the last time I was in a church) but I truly believe that the loss of religion (ANY religion) in our society has weakend us as a whole.

antelope_sniper: Your colorful charts don't mean schitt!!! The old saying "figures don't lie, but liars sure can figure" comes to mind. If you truly think we are better off now than we were 20 years ago then you are delusional.

Last edited by SurlyBob; 05/18/18.

"In the end God will not look you over for medals, degrees, or diplomas...but for scars."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by SurlyBob
All I know is that from the time that I grew up until now that the world has changed, and not for the better. My parents both worked full time to support four kids, but worked opposite shifts to make sure one of them were always home for the kids...show me any modern family that would do the same.

My wife and I do exactly that, but we have 6 kids, not 4.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The idiots in the press don't help the way they sensationalize these events and the shooters themselves. Then they might not so much if folks didn't watch and ratings went down.
Hey,, lets all talk about it 24/7 for days, maybe some one else will get the idea to do it so they can have their 15 minutes or 15 days of fame.
All part of this sick society we life in

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

We are not on a down ward spiral:

Yeah, it is hard to get knocked up over an Iphone or the internet. I don't believe kids are screwing near as much these days as they were 40 and 50 years ago.

That's part of the equation. The generation the screwed the most was actually my generation, Gen X, Of course, at the time, we were considered the spawns of Satan who would destroy this country.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Not knocking you and yours, just saying that I feel the non-Campfire folks out there are shirking thier responsibilities as parents and need to be held responsible for thier kids jackassery.

"In the end God will not look you over for medals, degrees, or diplomas...but for scars."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Parents are just as self centered at the kids we're bitching about. It's all about me. These are all little pieces to a big puzzle, glorified by the nightly news.

Is it me, or is society as a whole facing a bigger wrath of problems than ever before? I know for a fact that the day I stopped listening to talk radio and watching anything other than the local news that things seemed to mellow out. Call it burying my head in the sand, but damn man. Doesn't make sense to get pissed off about things that are totally out of my control.

It's like I said earlier, look at the pissing contests on this forum. Even this thread. They might be superficial topics (not this one), but emotions are real and can control you.

And if being pissed because Big Stick says your 270 sucks doesn't roll off your back....then maybe it's time to disconnect.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
antelope_sniper: Your colorful charts don't mean schitt!!! The old saying "figures don't lie, but liars sure can figure" comes to mind. If you truly think we are better off now than we were 20 years ago then you are delusional.

If you have contra-facts lets see them.

I'm not sure where you came up with this 20 year figure. I've been discussion our condition across broad swaths of time. I mentioned school death back in the 1920's and charted murder rates back to the 1600's. For the average working man, life's never been better then it is in America, today. He is not just the 1%, he's the 0.1% when compared to all people across the depths of history.

The following chart is for England, but the same trend applies to their greatest former colony:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 16bore
Parents are just as self centered at the kids we're bitching about. It's all about me. These are all little pieces to a big puzzle, glorified by the nightly news.

Is it me, or is society as a whole facing a bigger wrath of problems than ever before? I know for a fact that the day I stopped listening to talk radio and watching anything other than the local news that things seemed to mellow out. Call it burying my head in the sand, but damn man. Doesn't make sense to get pissed off about things that are totally out of my control.

It's like I said earlier, look at the pissing contests on this forum. Even this thread. They might be superficial topics (not this one), but emotions are real and can control you.

And if being pissed because Big Stick says your 270 sucks doesn't roll off your back....then maybe it's time to disconnect.

I experienced the exact same thing, stopped listening to the talking heads (even Fox News) and felt a genuine sense of relaxation. I moved to a small (2500 people) town six months ago and couldn't be happier. Life here is more like it was 25+ years ago and we LOVE it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

I'm not sure where you came up with this 20 year figure. I've been discussion our condition across broad swaths of time. I mentioned school death back in the 1920's and charted murder rates back to the 1600's. For the average working man, life's never been better then it is in America, today. He is not just the 1%, he's the 0.1% when compared to all people across the depths of history.

The following chart is for England, but the same trend applies to their greatest former colony:

[Linked Image]

Seriously?! You have a chart dating back to the thirteenth century in BRITAIN and think it is relevant to this conversation? You have issues.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I experienced the exact same thing, stopped listening to the talking heads (even Fox News) and felt a genuine sense of relaxation. I moved to a small (2500 people) town six months ago and couldn't be happier. Life here is more like it was 25+ years ago and we LOVE it.

Simple is simply better. IMHO. Kinda like rifles. You can make schit as complicated as you want, but look at the excitement of a 12 year old kid with his first rifle and his first deer (or her, for that matter). That's the good stuff.

Anyway, sad to see these kids not enjoying the best years of their lives. Very sad.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
[/quote]Simple is simply better. IMHO. Kinda like rifles. You can make schit as complicated as you want, but look at the excitement of a 12 year old kid with his first rifle and his first deer (or her, for that matter). That's the good stuff.

Anyway, sad to see these kids not enjoying the best years of their lives. Very sad.
[/quote]
Amen.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Losers like you, and this.........

Any of us who receive e-mail from large numbers of Americans can attest to the deteriorating education — including among those who attended college — in written English. In sophisticated commentary on websites as well as in e-mail, one encounters the most basic errors: “it’s” instead of “its”; “their” instead of “there”; “then” instead of “than”; etc. With tools such as spelling and grammar check and word processors, the quality of spelling and grammar in finish products is actually improving.

Most universities have become secular seminaries for the dissemination of leftism. Moreover, aside from indoctrination, students usually learn little. One can earn a B.A. in English at UCLA, for example, without having read a single Shakespeare play.English and English Literature are two separate degree's.

To the extent that American history is taught, beginning in high school and often earlier, American history is presented as the history of an immoral nation characterized by slavery, racism, colonialism, imperialism, economic exploitation, and militarism — not of a country that, more than any other, has been the beacon of freedom to mankind, and the country that has spent more treasure and spilled more blood to liberate other peoples than any other nation.Depends on the school.
In Littleton expect your kids to read John Locke

The End of Male and Female: Whatever one’s position on same-sex marriage, one must acknowledge that at the core of the argument for this redefinition of marriage is that gender doesn’t matter. Marriage is marriage and gender means nothing, the argument goes. So, too, whether children are raised by mother and father or two mothers or two fathers doesn’t matter. A father has nothing unique to offer a child that a mother can’t provide and vice versa.Yea, this is pure BS.
Fortunately it's rejected by all but the most radical

Why? Because — for the first time in recorded history — gender is regarded as meaningless. Indeed, increasingly gender doesn’t even exist; it’s merely a social construct imposed on children by parents and society based on the biological happenstance of their genitalia. When signing up for Facebook, one is offered nearly 60 options under “gender.” In various high schools across the country, boys are elected homecoming queen. A woman was recently kicked out of Planet Fitness for objecting to a man in the women’s locker room. She was accused of intolerance because the man said he felt that he was a woman.

The End of Right and Wrong: At least two generations of American young people have been taught that moral categories are nothing more than personal (or societal) preferences. Recently, an incredulous professor of philosophy wrote an opinion piece in the New York Times titled “Why Our Children Don’t Think There Are Moral Facts.” In it he noted, “Without fail, every value claim is labeled an opinion” (italics in original). This extends to assessing the most glaring of evils. Since the Nazis thought killing Jews was right, there is no way to know for sure whether it was wrong; it’s the Nazis’ opinion against that of the Jews and anyone else who objects. I have heard this sentiment from American high-school students — including many Jewish ones — for 30 years.

The End of Religion: There are no moral truths because there is no longer a religious basis for morality.Any of us who Just not true. Divine Command Theory is not a pathway to moral truths. In addition if you accept that at one time following The Law was moral, but at a later time it was not required to be moral,
you've already accepted moral relativism and a variance of morality across time.
More than the Enlightenment, it was the Bible — especially the Hebrew Bible (which was one reason America’s Christians were different from most European Christians) that guided the Founders’ and other Americans’ values. No. A large portion of the Founding Fathers were deist.The term "separation of church as sate derived from Jefferson. Not any more. Instead of being guided by a code higher than themselves, Americans are taught to rely on their feelings to determine how to behave. Instead of being given moral guidance, children are asked, “How do you feel about it?”

The End of Beauty: Just as morality is subjective, so are beauty and excellence. There is no good or bad art or literature. You like Beethoven; I like rap. You like Shakespeare; I like Batman. “Street art” (a.k.a graffiti) is worthy of museum exhibition; paint thrown by an “artist” from atop a ladder onto a canvas is considered high art and fetches over $100 million; and a giant sculpture of a dog with lifted leg urinating adorns the front of the Orange County Museum of Art in California. Art always has been, and always will be, subjective. One of the reason we think old are is superior to modern art is "The survivor bias". An example is classical music. Today we only listen to music created by the best 1% of musicians from the classical era, and even than, only 10% of their music. Of course the top 0.1% of all that was created in that era is excellent.
Comments

If you acknowledge that American society is in decay, it is your obligation to fight to undo it. If you can’t acknowledge that American society is in decay, you are providing proof that it is.
Just because we have challenges, that does not mean the overall trend is one of decay.

You should have at least given Dennis Pager credit for his work.
Of course, he believes in Divine Command Theory, which is not a moral system.
Also when Prager wrote this, we had a different president.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Amen.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

[Linked Image]

Seriously?! You have a chart dating back to the thirteenth century in BRITAIN and think it is relevant to this conversation? You have issues.

Because I can take a long view and keep things in perspective I have "issues"?

Really?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's funny that people think there is just one answer. Multiple people will have multiple reasons.

yes, first there needs to be a congregation of people, like a school or mall for instance. then there needs to be a shooter, and a weapon to use. then the shooter needs a proper motivation (in his own mind). and everyone of them are probably led into the violence based upon their own thinking, not somebody else's reason for being upset.

and of course first responders and tv camers are mandatory in the follow-up. then the anti-gun conversations begin. it's a pattern from beginning to end, for sure.

Correct. Another loser male and an AR, a very familiar refrain. That's why reclassifying semiautos that accept detachable magazines as Class 3 is the most surgical, least restrictive solution to the problem. Separate these weapons from the losers.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by hanco
They can’t get any pussy. They take their frustrations out on other people.

Do you talk like this at the dinner table?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Paddler
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's funny that people think there is just one answer. Multiple people will have multiple reasons.

yes, first there needs to be a congregation of people, like a school or mall for instance. then there needs to be a shooter, and a weapon to use. then the shooter needs a proper motivation (in his own mind). and everyone of them are probably led into the violence based upon their own thinking, not somebody else's reason for being upset.

and of course first responders and tv camers are mandatory in the follow-up. then the anti-gun conversations begin. it's a pattern from beginning to end, for sure.

Correct. Another loser male and an AR, a very familiar refrain. That's why reclassifying semiautos that accept detachable magazines as Class 3 is the most surgical, least restrictive solution to the problem. Separate these weapons from the losers.

How do you get from your Fudd gun, a Remington 870, to an AR??

So now you want to classify 870's and revolvers as Class 3 weapons?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Debbie Whatzername Schultz said it was the NRA's fault.

And she would be correct about that.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

How do you get from your Fudd gun, a Remington 870, to an AR??

So now you want to classify 870's and revolvers as Class 3 weapons?

Initial reports stated an AR was used.

Last edited by Paddler; 05/18/18.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 15 invisible), 982 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.