Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Buck2
Originally Posted by California_Kid
The problem is with the teens themselves. They aren't grabbing a gun from home and running out and shooting random people. They're going back to school to get revenge for whatever they feel has wronged them. Bullying? Social media? They are shooting their own. Feel insecure, bullied, alone? Get a gun and show everyone at school. This is a problem parents, counselors and school cops should be looking for. One secure entrance at school with a cop and a metal detector and it would seem to me our kids would be much safer. As far as the actual cause or reason? I'm not sure. But make the parents responsible. If a parent leaves an unsecured firearm at home and a teen or any child uses it for any illegal activity the parent IS responsible and as such should be prosecuted. I know most will have a fit over this, but I don't think people under 21 should be allowed to own a firearm. This goes back to when we had a military draft, "If I'm old enough to die for my country then I'm old enough to.....(insert drink, smoke, buy a gun, whatever.) Well the draft is long over, 1973 and most of todays kids don't have the common sense to be allowed to legally do any of those things. Todays kids weren't raised by two parents, one staying at home, they were raised by social media and it has no direction or morals. It certainly has no conscience.

So why should you have more right to defend yourself than my 16 year old daughter that has to stay at home alone after school until we get home from work. I have all of my guns in safe places, but as my children got to the point that I felt that they could be responsible I gave them access to guns for protection.

We need a like button for phrases like that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coaches being hard has been around forever. When I was in the 10th grade the coach told me, after basketball practice, don't come back you did more like my players. The only thing that added to my life was a joke for the rest of my life. Never thought about killing the coach or the guys who are better than me.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Because I'm not a teenager? Because my mind has fully developed? If your willing to accept responsibility for her actions, by all means leave her with a firearm. But be willing to accept responsibility if she abuses that responsibility. Or if, heaven forbid, she injures herself. Let's hope her boyfriend doesn't know about it and takes it to school. And we wonder how kids get guns.

Last edited by California_Kid; 05/21/18. Reason: additional info

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300
Something is wrong at the schools themselves. Schools are the common denominator.

For a school aged kid, school is the center of their universe. They spend most of their day there, most of their social interactions are with the students and teachers. If for whatever reason their life has gone to chit they will see the school as the source of that and they will either take their own life or lash out at the school.

I'll pile on again on the parents even without knowing the details. Parents can tell if their kid is miserable, happy or indifferent. Either the parent can ignore those things and figure it's a phase they will grow out of, or the parent can put in the extra time and get extra involved in the kids life to see what is going on. How many of these parents when they noticed things were tough for their kids said, I'm going to cancel my social calendar and spend evenings with my kid, or I'm going to take a day off from work take my kid out of school for a day and just hang out to see whats going on?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
We used to be a mostly Christian law and order society where families consisted of a mother and father that raised their children to have a basic moral compass.

Now we are a morally relative society where if it feels good do it, if a thought comes into your head act on it, and we are reaping the results of that change. Movies, music and video games are hyper violent and sexualized. Kids grow up in houses where the parents are too busy or not concerned with what their children are doing.

Why is anyone surprised by this change?

This. The left has systematically expunged God from public discourse, leaving a large number of people with no fear of eternal consequences for their unbelief or for their actions. We don't need more gun control, we need less God control.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rickt300
Something is wrong at the schools themselves. Schools are the common denominator.

For a school aged kid, school is the center of their universe. They spend most of their day there, most of their social interactions are with the students and teachers. If for whatever reason their life has gone to chit they will see the school as the source of that and they will either take their own life or lash out at the school.

I'll pile on again on the parents even without knowing the details. Parents can tell if their kid is miserable, happy or indifferent. Either the parent can ignore those things and figure it's a phase they will grow out of, or the parent can put in the extra time and get extra involved in the kids life to see what is going on. How many of these parents when they noticed things were tough for their kids said, I'm going to cancel my social calendar and spend evenings with my kid, or I'm going to take a day off from work take my kid out of school for a day and just hang out to see whats going on?

How do you know they didn't?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
We used to be a mostly Christian law and order society where families consisted of a mother and father that raised their children to have a basic moral compass.

Now we are a morally relative society where if it feels good do it, if a thought comes into your head act on it, and we are reaping the results of that change. Movies, music and video games are hyper violent and sexualized. Kids grow up in houses where the parents are too busy or not concerned with what their children are doing.

Why is anyone surprised by this change?

This. The left has systematically expunged God from public discourse, leaving a large number of people with no fear of eternal consequences for their unbelief or for their actions. We don't need more gun control, we need less God control.

100% of my actions are governed by ”fear of external consequences for [my] unbelief.”

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Because I'm not a teenager? Because my mind has fully developed? If your willing to accept responsibility for her actions, by all means leave her with a firearm. But be willing to accept responsibility if she abuses that responsibility. Or if, heaven forbid, she injures herself. Let's hope her boyfriend doesn't know about it and takes it to school. And we wonder how kids get guns.

Your spinning this just like the liberal media does. It’s not access to guns that is the problem.

I was walking thru pastures and woods with my .22 by ten or eleven, and most of my friends where also. I work with people that took their gun to school on the bus and went hunting with a friend after school. When I was a kid, no one had a gun safe. Guns were assessable to kids of all ages, and there were no school shootings (not mass shootings anyway).

As far as holding parents accountable, I have known great parents that have children that turn out bad. What if your 16-year-old child took your car and ran it thru a crowd of people, would you be to blame for that? What if her boyfriend ran the car thru a crowd of people? We can take this anywhere, but restricting people from all objects that could cause harm is not an answer to the real problem.

Last edited by Buck2; 05/21/18.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I've had access to guns and ammunition since I was about 10 years old. The notion that a kid can't handle a firearm responsibly is liberal brainwashing bullschit.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Killing isn’t something that comes naturally to people in the normal spectrum.

Anomalies are part of the deal. It’s an illusion to think think we can legislate them away.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Ironically that same kid can drive a car.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

I've had access to guns and ammunition since I was about 10 years old. The notion that a kid can't handle a firearm responsibly is liberal brainwashing bullschit.

Agreed. My kids have known how to safely handle and shoot firearms since not long after they were out of diapers. They could reload ammunition, field strip an AR15 etc. There have regularly been loaded firearms in the house that they could access. I'm near positive they never touched a gun w/o asking and conversely any time they wanted to handle a gun or go shooting they were obliged. They are far from perfect kids, but I never had any reasonable concern about them using a firearm to harm themselves or others.

The most dangerous thing a kid does is drive a car. Yet society has a completely cavalier attitude about putting a teen behind the wheel of two to three tons of metal and propelling themselves through cities and across highways.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J

+1 deflave. We need to raise our expectations for responsibility and maturity, rather than continually lowering the expected, and accepted, level of responsibility.

Cars are far more dangerous than guns in the hands of a 16 year old, and yet we let them drive and accept 1,000's of their deaths a year, and 1,000's more they cause.

How big is the problem?

In 2015, 2,333 teens in the United States ages 16–19 were killed and 235,845 were treated in emergency departments for injuries suffered in motor vehicle crashes.1 That means that six teens ages 16–19 died every day from motor vehicle injuries.

In 2013, young people ages 15-19 represented only 7% of the U.S. population. However, they accounted for 11% ($10 billion) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries.1

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/teen_drivers/teendrivers_factsheet.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I too have had access to guns since I was young. Started shooting a 22 at six years of age and had my own 22 at 13. The thought of shooting someone, anyone, never crossed my mind and I had many a fight on the school ground, was even stabbed once (minor injury).

Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ironically that same kid can drive a car.

And allowed a cell phone which can be used to text while driving, bully individuals, sext, send nude selfies, etc., etc., etc...

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
There is absolutely nothing wrong with having access to loaded long arms for a kid.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Big thoughts on the futility of trying to stop this. LINK.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jeffbird
We have to start asking WHY are school shootings happening?

People have owned guns at even higher rates for the whole history of this country without the steady flow of these mass killings.

WHY are these kids going off for last 10 - 20 years shooting up their schools?

Something has changed and until we get at the root cause these events will keep happening.

Two Words:

Moral relativism.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
One word: Psychopaths

About 1% of the population are psychopaths, that means there are roughly 700,000 under the age of 18 that are psychopaths. I'm guessing there are just about double that in the number of parents that think 'Not my kid'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
One word: Psychopaths

About 1% of the population are psychopaths, that means there are roughly 700,000 under the age of 18 that are psychopaths. I'm guessing there are just about double that in the number of parents that think 'Not my kid'

probably so, at least. in normal times these folks are an anomaly. they don't fit in.

in an upheaval of some kind, ldrshp might emerge from that group?

catastrophic eco-system imbalance, asteroids, disease, etc?

until then they're a tax to be paid, a cost, a challenge?

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

438 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.