Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Pretty much have to agree with Boxer...........especially about the assessment of Tikka's & I'll just add that they have no soul either. It'll be a cold day in hell when I ever own one.

I guess it all depends on what you want out of your rifle.

Accuracy, dependability, affordability...dirty words to some.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have lots more, but you get the idea. The key is, buy what you want. Buy what feels good. Shoot a lot and get good with whatever you choose. Better yet, find some guys who own the rifles you’re interested in, in the chambering you want, and see if they’ll let you try before you buy.

First and foremost, thank you for your service. If you’re ever in my neck of the woods I’ll gladly let you try out one of my “steaming piles,” I guarantee it will outshoot your other options.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

T
OP Offline
T
Appreciate the comments guys. So what I’m understanding is that Barrett’s are svelte, and Tikka has attractors and detractors. As for the what I want to hunt, well I’m not envisioning anything bigger than elk. That’s why the 6.5, 7-08, those style of cartridges are appealing. I’ve killed a handful of deer with the .270 so that cartridge also appeals to me. I like the way everyone talks up these Fieldcrafts, they seem too notch.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'll say check out Bergara Rifles. They are everything the modern Remington 700 should be.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boxer, Stick, anybody; WTF are 'Horn rings?

Thanks.

Edit: Burris Extreme Tactical Signatures?

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/29/18.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I would take advantage of your situation of being debt free and sounds like free of wife and kid responsibilities and up your budget a bit. I would build a custom in 280 ai and top it with a nightforce nxs. It will last you a lifetime and do everything you want. I have had tikkas and no doubt they shoot but just never could warm up to them. I've had 3 fieldcrafts and moved two down the road as I prefer to build what I want with my choice of stock,barrel trigger, color, etc. Everything I have now aside from the .308 fieldcraft is a custom or semi custom built to my specs. If you don't want to wait for a smith to build look at the proof research or gap rifles available at cabelas and I believe you will get a military discount there as well as with nightforce.

Last edited by Paul4; 05/29/18.
IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by DollarShort
I wouldn't buy a Nightforce unless I had no budget...or weight wasn't a factor.

True story. Those things are heavy. Check out the Bushnell LRHS for a hunting setup.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Paul4
I would take advantage of your situation of being debt free and sounds like free of wife and kid responsibilities and up,your budget a bit. I would build a custom in 280 ai and top it with a nightforce nxs. It will last you a lifetime and do everything you want. I have had tikkas and no doubt they shoot but just never could warm up to them. I've had 3 fieldcrafts and moved two down the road as I prefer to build what I want with my choice of stock,barrel trigger, color, etc. Erverything I have now aside from the .308 fieldcraft is a custom or semi custom built to my specs. If you don't want to wait for a smith to build look at the proof research or gap rifles available at cabelas and I believe you will get a military discount there as well as with nightforce.

That’s great advice after he has spent a few Years trying things out. I went straight semi custom for my first rifle and it was a BIG mistake. I didn’t know what I wanted/needed or liked/disliked until I tried out several rifles,

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Originally Posted by Paul4
I would take advantage of your situation of being debt free and sounds like free of wife and kid responsibilities and up,your budget a bit. I would build a custom in 280 ai and top it with a nightforce nxs. It will last you a lifetime and do everything you want. I have had tikkas and no doubt they shoot but just never could warm up to them. I've had 3 fieldcrafts and moved two down the road as I prefer to build what I want with my choice of stock,barrel trigger, color, etc. Erverything I have now aside from the .308 fieldcraft is a custom or semi custom built to my specs. If you don't want to wait for a smith to build look at the proof research or gap rifles available at cabelas and I believe you will get a military discount there as well as with nightforce.

That’s great advice after he has spent a few Years trying things out. I went straight semi custom for my first rifle and it was a BIG mistake. I didn’t know what I wanted/needed or liked/disliked until I tried out several rifles,

I can definitely see your point as I am twice his age and I guess my view is I wasted a lot of money buying and later selling rifles that I thought were what I wanted until I started having rifles built to my needs and wants.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Thanks.

I'm thinkin, which is probably a mistake...that those are Seekins rings.
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/product/scope-rings.html

Edit: But after looking, they are obviously not.

Last edited by DollarShort; 05/29/18.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Thanks.

I'm thinkin, which is probably a mistake...that those are Seekins rings.
http://www.seekinsprecision.com/product/scope-rings.html

Not even close...

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by okie john
I'd take a long, hard look at the Tikka. You should be able to put superb glass on it and still come in under $2,300.
Okie John

Hard to argue this route.

Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
The glass is honestly the tough part. There are so many good choices. I’m currently looking at a vortex Diamondback Tactical so that I can dial bit also stay lightweight.
MM

"Good choice" and "Diamondback Tactical" should never appear in the same discussion.

When did vortex become crap? I know, I should spend more on glass than the gun. Forgot that.

MM

Guess I’ll just buy a swfa luckily my mossberg patriot is less than the scope 😉

Vortex Razor or Vortex Viper are good, everything else by Vortex is pretty much...well expect to need to use that warranty everybody raves about.🙄

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RyanSinBA

True story. Those things are heavy. Check out the Bushnell LRHS for a hunting setup.

Sweet Jeezus the ignorance here is rampant.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
triggercreep...I'll let all the experts give you their opinions on which rifle/scope to buy. I just want to thank you for your service and glad you're coming home soon. If "home" to you is close to Central Louisiana, come to our local gun shop and if they have what you are looking for (they have a pretty fair number of rifles for being in a small town) I'll kick in a C-note on what you purchase. Not much, but just to say thanks for serving our country. God bless you-Eddie

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I killed the buck on the right at 541 yards with a single 140 grain Nosler Partition started at 2870 FPS from a 7mm-08, looking through a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 CDS. Tikka rifle, steam coming off it.

[Linked Image]

DRT.

Lots of guys disparage the Leupold but it has worked well for me.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RHutch
Originally Posted by RyanSinBA

Sweet Jeezus the ignorance here is rampant.

Lowest budget NF, $900 and 21 ounces. Ignorance...I guess so. Maybe someday I'll have a change of heart on the matter.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You only need to decide which caliber you want. Then go to the gun store and ask to hold the rifles they have in that caliber. You’ll know it when you hold it. Browning xbolt, tikka, and a vortex scope and go learn to shoot it well. Save the rest of the money.

Proud supporter of the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jack O'Connors one Sheep guide for Desert Sheep carried an old iron sighted model 94 in 25-35. When Jack asked him about his choice of rifle he replied "Hell, the trouble with Sheep is getting to them. Once you do that you can knock them over with anything".

T
OP Offline
T
Well for elk I figure 6.5, .270, 7MM-08 all do the trick. I’m thinking the Kimber Hunter might be one to look closely at. I can shoot and I can climb, I just need a rifle that makes both easy in a caliber that just works. I’m not omen to believe I need a .300 to kill. I don’t. So I’m taking a hard look at the 6.5 and 7-08. Is there a reason to hate the Leupold VX-3? Kimber and the Barret are most pleasing without me actually handling them. So that only sort of counts for anything

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it were me, I would be looking very hard at the Fieldcraft on your list. Just make sure you handle all the rifles you are thinking about.

If you want to stay with the lightweight mountain rifle theme, keep weight in mind for mounting system/scope.

If you want to trend towards the LR hunting and dialing, then you can pick apprpriate mounting system/turret scope. While adding some weight.

Only you can decide what would serve your purpose best and what you want.

As far as chambering, many will work. I would start at 6.5 Creed and go up to 30-06.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Pretty much have to agree with Boxer...........especially about the assessment of Tikka's & I'll just add that they have no soul either. It'll be a cold day in hell when I ever own one.

I guess it all depends on what you want out of your rifle.

Accuracy, dependability, affordability...dirty words to some.

Sure as schitt don't need to stoop to a windowlicking Tikka to get that.........................

But if that horns you up, then rock own.

MM

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (280shooter, 30incher, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1minute, 41 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,322
Posts18,505,844
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.