Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwall
Tejano

Thnx for explaining how your bolt ‘fell out’. I have been skeptical to say the least about claims of that happening.

As you know there is ‘some’ type of latch/catch to prevent bolts from coming out of actions. Thnx for your explanation.

Jerry

This requires multiple FUG Ups but it did happen. Also have had quirky results with saddle scabbards but didn't involve loaded chambers.

Last edited by Tejano; 07/11/18.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
Also have had quirky results with saddle scabbards but didn't involve loaded chambers.

So did the outfitter I guided for in the 80's. We rented horses to intrepid nimrods. One of which, DID have a loaded chamber in a scabbard. Rifle went off and shot the horse in the right hock. Horse had enuff presence of mind to dump the azzhat when it happened. Had to be put down. Real expensive lesson for our live-chambered/safety-off dimwad.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys I’ve never made a horse back - pack in - hunt BUT

Any hunter w/ONE brain cell should know — Empty Chamber ! !

I coined this phrase some years back.

Stupidity is a Bottomless Pit. — Feel Free to use it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ya think?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pete53
MR.SITKA from Alaska what makes you think you know what`s true ? well you don`t the old guy I know,he did get knock down by wolf but wolf not bite thru his thick coat,wolf just ran away.also I had another friend while coyote hunting had 3 wolves attack his dog and he was close enough he ended up braking a rifle stock on the head of a wolf to save his dog ! yes here in Northern Minnesota we have plenty wolves ,just because you live in Alaska doesn`t mean you know what happens here in Northern Minnesota !

Never said anything was true or untrue, simply pointed out how incredibly rare such events are... and they are. And that would be the only known wolf attack on a human in Minnesota.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Tejano
Also have had quirky results with saddle scabbards but didn't involve loaded chambers.

So did the outfitter I guided for in the 80's. We rented horses to intrepid nimrods. One of which, DID have a loaded chamber in a scabbard. Rifle went off and shot the horse in the right hock. Horse had enuff presence of mind to dump the azzhat when it happened. Had to be put down. Real expensive lesson for our live-chambered/safety-off dimwad.

When it comes to safety I personally prefer yes:no answers to safety questions and tend to choose the safer routes when there is no clear reason to not do it.

Painting with shades of gray makes it easier for an obvious idiot to fail to see the obvious issue with a hot chamber in a scabbard. But I have seen dumber get away with far worse...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
And that would be the only known wolf attack on a human in Minnesota.

Not true. My plumber's uncle's doctor's wife's cousin was also attacked.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
actually when my good friend`s dog was in trouble with these 3 wolves and friend rushed in on of those wolves,one wolf did grab his arm and shaken it and then his dog called big dog jumped that wolf , his female dang near died that day from wounds from those 3 wolves but when big dog got there and my friend there was one heck of a fight,so maybe that could be considered a attack, those wolves did not run. now days when bear hunters in Wisconsin dog hunt for bears some have lost dogs to wolves,wolves hear dogs barking come running in and eat the dogs,the lineman I worked with for 10 years his son and friend lost 4 dogs in one day found the collars and one dog head,radio collars were left all over in that woods while on a bear dog hunt ,it has happened in Minnesota too. like I said it won`t be long and some one will probably be killed by a wolf,just ask the sheriff in Kitson county,Mn., these wolves follow to many people in the bigger woods here in Minnesota now days,Minnesota wolves have lost there fear of man.

Last edited by pete53; 07/12/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Again, what tribe are you from?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
actually when my good friend`s dog was in trouble with these 3 wolves and friend rushed in on of those wolves,one wolf did grab his arm and shaken it and then his dog called big dog jumped that wolf , his female dang near died that day from wounds from those 3 wolves but when big dog got there and my friend there was one heck of a fight,so maybe that could be considered a attack, those wolves did not run. now days when bear hunters in Wisconsin dog hunt for bears some have lost dogs to wolves,wolves hear dogs barking come running in and eat the dogs,the lineman I worked with for 10 years his son and friend lost 4 dogs in one day found the collars and one dog head,radio collars were left all over in that woods while on a bear dog hunt ,it has happened in Minnesota too. like I said it won`t be long and some one will probably be killed by a wolf,just ask the sheriff in Kitson county,Mn., these wolves follow to many people in the bigger woods here in Minnesota now days,Minnesota wolves have lost there fear of man.

Sitka deer can't even top this one........

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

That’s some funny [bleep] !

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This spring I was watching these critters mow their lawn

[Linked Image]
When the big bad woof appeared and et all three. He was hunting for dogs but had griz for supper.Women and children will be next if we don’t do something!believe me I know a guy.
[Linked Image]

Moral to the story, keep yer bolt locked down!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A few years ago I was hunting black tail deer on Afognak Island, Alaska. My wie and guide were with me. The island is rife with brown bears, but our chambers were empty. Jumped a black tail , snapped the rifle up and fired when it hit my shoulder...dead deer. My wife said I worked the bolt so fast and fired that the deer only went about 20 yards before I shot him. Years of practice and you get pretty good at it.

If I am sitting in a ambush situation I do like to keep one up the spout as it is a bit noisy trying to slip one in, especially in a close range situation.

lefty C

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rosco1

Well, he's just got to be an Injun, don't he?. Who else could talk in 60's cowboy/injun movie slang like that? Huh?
Him heap big talk with forked-tongue. Name should be changed from pete to Big Chief Walking Eagle. Because he's too full of chit to fly......

he did get knock down by wolf but wolf not bite wolf just ran away. have plenty wolves

wolf did grab his arm and shaken it and then his dog called big dog jumped that wolf ,wolves hear dogs barking come running in and eat the dogs,,radio collars were left all over in that woods while on a bear dog hunt , these wolves follow to many people in the bigger woods ,Minnesota wolves have lost there fear of man.

Last edited by huntsman22; 07/12/18.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rosco1

Well, he's just got to be an Injun. Who else could talk in 60's cowboy/injun movie slang like that? Huh?
Him heap big talk with forked-tongue. Name should be changed from pete to Big Chief Walking Eagle. Because he's too full of chit to fly......

he did get knock down by wolf but wolf not bite wolf just ran away. have plenty wolves

wolf did grab his arm and shaken it and then his dog called big dog jumped that wolf ,wolves hear dogs barking come running in and eat the dogs,,radio collars were left all over in that woods while on a bear dog hunt , these wolves follow to many people in the bigger woods ,Minnesota wolves have lost there fear of man.

Lmao . Walking eagle!!

But yes Pete , if you unload hounds in the middle of a wolf pack you’re gonna have a bad day, m’kay?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

You sound like the guy in the commercial looking for a lawyer........"but he didn't call me back". cry

grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

Yes, but he was walking naked with a backpack full of rotting fish he had dynamited out of a lake a week previous. And the Wolf only took the back pack. I hate it when these threads turn to bullschitt and the whole of it isn't included.

Last edited by battue; 07/12/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Huntsman22, are you asking what tribe I am from?

I am by almost all standards, descended from Norwegian and German ancestry, unless deceased relatives lied. So I believe that makes me a Caucasian. For the last 43 years I have been married to a wonderful gal who is an Alaskan native born in Tanana on the Yukon River. My family came to Alaska in 1965 and built a home in the Slana River country near the Wrangell mountains, a beautiful and remote place at the time.

Back to safeties. In 53 years of Alaskan hunting I seldom carry a round in the chamber, unless by myself, sitting on a water hole late at night waiting for a moose or creeping a good trail early in the morning. I also don't want any one walking behind me with a chambered rifle. A friend of mines brother was shot in the back of his head by his hunting buddy on a brown bear hunt.

I grew up hunting with a scoped Springfield 03A3 and the military safety could not be engaged because of the scope, never bothered me or cost me an animal.. Following up or closing in on a bear is a good time to chamber around and top of the magazine on a bolt gun, in my opinion.

I almost always hunt with a Model 70 and never lost and opportunity at any Alaskan critter because I had to chamber a round. Maybe close cover deer hunting in the "states" is different.

I have had a bit of exposure to guns in my life time and all of my holstered handguns are carried in "Condition one". Glocks, 1911's, Browning Hi Power, revolvers. etc. They are carried hot when holstered.
My bolt action magazine rifles are left unchambered almost all of the time.

Every time I look at a rifle I always look at the bolt shroud to see if the rifle is cocked, no matter who is carrying it.

Muzzle control and finger off of the trigger is the best safety and when properly done work better then any mechanical safety ever made. So, I am of the opinion and belief an empty chamber on a bolt gun is ok when hunting big game, there is no animal ever created by God that is worth risking any ones life over, if they get away then ok and I will hunt another day.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
He’s using quick reply...

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've never met a single hunter in New York that doesn't hunt with a hot chamber. Last I knew we had around 700,000 deer hunters taking to the woods annually yet we have VERY FEW hunting accidents. In fact, we have one of the top hunter safety records of any state in the Country. Seems accidents involving hunting with a hot chamber are pretty rare. You're undoubtedly FAR more likely to be killed or injured in a car accident on the way to hunt or by taking a header out of your deer stand.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,336
Posts18,526,783
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.