Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I'm sure there are many circumstaces where it's perfectly viable. Never said there wasn't. My point was that it's not nearly as viable for many, maybe even the majority in the East, which is a substantial percentage of hunters overall.

And again you know this because you have never tried it... got it.
Oh but I have and more than once. Mr fuggin "I'm never wrong" genius. Sitka dummy, a fitting name for sure.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sure there are many circumstaces where it's perfectly viable. Never said there wasn't. My point was that it's not nearly as viable for many, maybe even the majority in the East, which is a substantial percentage of hunters overall.

Oh but I have and more than once. Mr fuggin "I'm never wrong" genius. Sitka dummy, a fitting name for sure.

There we go! You admitted you cannot do it! Congratulations!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I admitted no such thing retard. Your reading comprehension and deductive reasoning skills are severely lacking.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Fair enough when you put it that way, but that's not how I read your earlier post:.

I wonder how many of these jackwagons who won't hunt with a hot chamber when toting a rifle still carry cold when toting a shotgun after grouse, pheasant, woodcock etc..

So, we're all not "Jackwagons eh?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I admitted no such thing retard. Your reading comprehension and deductive reasoning skills are severely lacking.

Very weak, but expected.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The only thing that's weak is your mind. And your character of course.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if you want a chance at a decent whitetail buck or even a whitetail doe you better be ready and your chamber better have a shell in it ! whitetail deer are dang smart here in the east. I hunt out west a lot and sure you don`t need a cartridge in the chamber of your rifle , most of the time but sometimes you still should have one in chamber. I am glad so many don`t want a shell in the chamber of their rifle, that gives me a better chance at shooting that trophy animal you didn`t get a shot at, because my rifle chamber will have a fast magnum cartridge and i will be locked and loaded ! yes you guys hunt with a empty chamber real smart ideal ! he-ha and funny !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I used to hunt with an empty chamber, but no more. What with all the wolf attacks and all.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good to hear eastern whitetails are different from western whitetails.

Have hunted whitetails in around 25 states and provinces in North America, from Pennsylvania and West Virginia in the east to Montana, Wyoming and Colorado in the west, and north-south from Sonora, Mexico to three Canadian provinces. Have found the "spookiness" of whitetails to depend on hunting pressure, not where they're born.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Ah yes, one with so much room... and show me an actual lie... I mean like the one you told openly.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Ah yes, one with so much room... and show me an actual lie... I mean like the one you told openly.

Ahh yes, more deflection. I guess you'd like us to forget that you're a thief. Don't blame you there but it ain't happening.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Good to hear eastern whitetails are different from western whitetails.

Have hunted whitetails in around 25 states and provinces in North America, from Pennsylvania and West Virginia in the east to Montana, Wyoming and Colorado in the west, and north-south from Sonora, Mexico to three Canadian provinces. Have the "spookiness" of whitetails to depend on hunting pressure, not where they're born.
Yes and we have literally shyttons of hunting pressure here, particularly on easily accessible public land.. Far different than on lightly hunted private ground or more remote/wilderness lands.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
So does Montana, including the public hunting area just north of our small town. Most whitetails in Montana live on private land, but some parts of the state have whitetails on public land--some very much resembling parts of New York.

I've hunted public land in many states and provinces, including Michigan, New York and West Virginia. Heavy hunting hunting pressure is heavy hunting pressure, no matter where it occurs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
So does Montana, including the public hunting area just north of our small town. Most whitetails in Montana live on private land, but some parts of the state have whitetails on public land--some very much resembling parts of New York.

I've hunted public land in many states and provinces, including Michigan, New York and West Virginia. Heavy hunting hunting pressure is heavy hunting pressure, no matter where it occurs.
Whereabouts have you hunted in NY ? It makes a huge difference, even as far as public land. I've hunted most of it here, from the Catskills to several Counties in central NY, the finger lakes region and the Adirondacks. The only exceptions being the capital district and Western NY. I've been all over Montana and seen deer on both public and private ground. I have not hunted there so don't know what the hunting pressure is like but given the human population and the amount of land there vs here I find it diffucult to fathom hunting pressure could be equal. I've hunted places here where it was damned difficult to get out of sight of another hunter all day. And that in an area that is all wooded so visibility limited to 100 yards or so max..

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I find it diffucult to fathom hunting pressure could be equal.

You've never hunted on public land out west and you find it hard to fathom what it's like out here. Do you see a correlation?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One thing that always amazes me is how some have difficulty taking a safety off without spooking Deer, yet I have little problem doing it. I've taken it off with them looking at me and close. Taken it off when they were bedded and once 2-3 big steps close. He was looking away and just slumped at the shot. Walking by, again close and inside 30 yards so many times I wouldn't try to guess. Taken it off, stood there, got down on one knee, leaned against a tree and then shot them or decided not to. When they get bounced it makes no difference. I really don't understand how it is that difficult.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Blackheart,

Since "have not hunted there so don't know what the hunting pressure is like but given the human population and the amount of land there vs here I find it diffucult to fathom hunting pressure could be equal."

I just explained it in my previous post. MOST whitetails in Montana live on private ground, along the rivers and streams of the state. where most white people settled during the frontier days. Even before then Indians lived near streams, because they had to: Unlike New York, and any other state east of Mississippi, Montana doesn't have nearly as many permanent streams, due to an average precipitation of about a foot.

Since whitetails are cover-loving animals, Western whitetails mostly live along the thicker cover alongside the relatively few permanent streams, because unlike New York (and other Eastern states), there isn't nearly as much cover or even surface water very far away from major streams. Since most ground along major streams ir privately owned, very few of our whitetails live on public land. Those that do are either widely scattered in a few National Forest areas, where severe winter weather periodically kills off many of the deer, or on the little publis land along permanent streams.

The public hunting ground I mentioned in my earlier post is a prime example. It consists of six square miles of land alongside the Missouri River, just north of our town, but perhaps only a third of that is prime whitetail habitat. It's the only substantial chunk public whitetail country for a radius or maybe 100 miles, aside from a very few deer in the foothills of the mountains--which naturally move to the private land below after the hunting season starts.

This chunk of public land is right in the middle of an area around 100 miles across with a population of around 200,000 people. This doesn't sound like much, but most Montana hunters have no problem driving 150 miles round-trip just to hunt for the day. Consequently this little area gets a LOT of hunting pressure, even though hunters are restricted to shotgun, muzzleloaders and handguns chambered for "traditional" handgun rounds. I have hunted down there many times where I've rarely been out of sight of another hunter, even during the middle of the week. So yes, there is plenty of hunting pressure.

You're obviously a good hunter, but always assume your knowledge applies to everywhere else, even if you've never hunted there. One of the reasons I hunted (and fished) a lot of different places over the decades (including your part of the world) was to learn what hunting's like in other places. One of the many things I learned was that just traveling through some other state (or country) isn't anything like actually hunting there.

John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just thought I’d pee on the fire with my two cents worth. Hunting whitetails in Northeastern Washington is not like hunting whitetails in Alabama. Mule deer behavior is a bit different in Eastern Washington than it is in the high plains of Montana or west slope in Colorado. Got no clue about NY/PA hunting and hunters. I do have a somewhat biased clue about northeastern hunters based on encounters in Colorado. LOL!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
you want to see real whitetail deer hunting pressure try bowhunting in a area with lots of wolves, rifle hunting is a breeze compared to bowhunting.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
I find it diffucult to fathom hunting pressure could be equal.

You've never hunted on public land out west and you find it hard to fathom what it's like out here. Do you see a correlation?
Of course you had to hand pick a partial phrase to make it say all you wanted to hear and not what I actually meant. You are a genuine jackwagon without doubt.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (260Remguy, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 2UP, 160user, 18 invisible), 1,945 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,509
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.