Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes. It's dead.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Removing the NFA designation also makes it easy to legally DIY cans. No more Form 1 (if memory serves) needed.

Actually they will be handled as firearms. Manufacture of them without a license will be illegal just like manufacturing a gun is illegal. They will be on a 4473 and have a NICS check.

You can make your own firearm at home as long as it is not sold.

Scott is saying you may be able to do that with a can if the bill passed.

Per federal law, you can sell any firearm made at home with or without a serial number. The law simply states you can't manufacture solely with the intent to sell. The trick is finding someone willing to buy a homebrew firearm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Because if you're willing to go through the year wait, the $200 stamp and the transfer fee you want a can that will last your lifetime?

I'm sure there are a handful of idiots that will want to thread an oil filter onto the end of their Glock but I'm pretty sure that market will dry up real quick.

Having purchased suppressors I want something that is functional. Not some 7th grade shop project hanging off the end of my barrel.

And I'd love to see the $100 can that handles .300 Win Mag. If you guys have that figured out and can turn a profit you might want to start looking for investors.

It was a can (that with revisions is still in production) from a BIG name can maker that gave up the ghost and blew it's guts the length of a 100 yard range while on a .300 Win mag. A round the can was rated for. I wound up with some stitches as a memento. The issue was either a design or production flaw, depending on viewpoint. The can as manufactured now, is no longer made in the same manner. Some would say it is less expensive to produce now, and yet more reliable. I'd agree.

The thing is, back in '94 or so when the incident happened, the internals were simple AF. Sure the first two baffles were 3/16 (or so) thick but the rest were much thinner. Stamping sized thinner.

Not to hard to blank off some 1.500" dia 304 stainless for spacers, 9" or so of 304 .058 wall stainless and sumtin like 8 or so baffles and weld the stack together to make a pretty effective can good for .300 Magnums. It was this basic design I was referring to when I said it could retail for under $100. Again, lighter, more effective for size will cost you more.

As for why not look for investors? Because currently there is no market. With sales volume so low, prices need to be high in order to pay for salaries and capital expenses.

An AR-15 is an order of magnitude more difficult to manufacture than a basic centerfire rifle suppressor. And yet a rifle can be purchased for less than a basic centerfire suppressor, all due to the market for ARs being 1000s of times larger than the market for suppressors. Get a version of the hearing loss prevention bill passed, and prices will plummet.

P.S. But not to $20 for a decent can. That's crazy talk. Decent materials cost at least that much before any labor is involved,

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 07/30/18.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
And I'd love to see the $100 can that handles .300 Win Mag. If you guys have that figured out and can turn a profit you might want to start looking for investors.

I've used suppressors a bit (understatement), FYI, A top line rimfire suppressor here in NZ will set you back $90.00 NZ ($61.00 US). That includes our GST (Goods and Services Tax) at 15%. I'm talking top line stuff here, you can get them cheaper but (apart from rimfire suppressors that may last the distance) you need to keep away from cheaper stuff.

A top line rimfire magnum supressor (includes .17 Hornet, I've just bought one) is $190 NZ.

A top line centrefire (non-mag) will set you back around $460 NZ. A top line centrefire magnum is around $600 NZ.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
The New Zealand technology that goes into suppressors is very good. I've fired many hundreds (maybe thousands) of rounds through mine using 270wsm, 300saum and 300winmag and never had a problem. And they are not big and heavy - 4" forward of the muzzle and circa 400grams weight. They have been great for my ears! Price is circa NZD400 for a good product. NZD/.68USD.

http://www.dpt.co.nz

Last edited by NZSika; 07/30/18.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NZSika
The New Zealand technology that goes into suppressors is very good. I've fired many hundreds (maybe thousands) of rounds through mine using 270wsm, 300saum and 300winmag and never had a problem. And they are not big and heavy - 4" forward of the muzzle and circa 400grams weight. They have been great for my ears! Price is circa NZD400 for a good product. NZD/.68USD.

http://www.dpt.co.nz

So tell me, what would an over the barrel suppressor for a 308, and another for a 223, cost there?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't hold out much hope that they'll ever be deregulated.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So tell me, what would an over the barrel suppressor for a 308, and another for a 223, cost there?

Originally Posted by MikeNZ
A top line centrefire (non-mag) will set you back around $460 NZ. A top line centrefire magnum is around $600 NZ.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lonny

Originally Posted by MikeNZ

I can read you know. An over the barrel suppressor tends to cost a bit more than a screw on the end. He wasn't specific in his statement so I asks for more specificity

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
In Pattaya Beach, I could buy a case of Carlsberg for $5.00.

Do you think that's what a case of Carlsberg was selling for in the U.S.?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

NZ $460 would get you an overbarrel suppressor suitable for both.

http://www.silencer.net.nz/silencers-and-suppressors/compact-silencers/

Disclaimer - I have no financial interest in this company but have purchased from them.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I imagine if the bill did pass NZ manufactures and Europeans would tool up and export to the U.S.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I imagine if the bill did pass NZ manufactures and Europeans would tool up and export to the U.S.

I use a DPT brand over barrel suppressor on my Sako 85 .308 that cost roughly $240 USD. They're very well made and not too heavy. There are several other NZ made suppressors of good quality available. DPT exports a lot of suppressors to the U.K. so I'm sure they would be more than eager to export to the U.S.

You also have to take in to account the cost of threading the barrel to accept the suppressor. There are many rifle barrels that come already factory threaded though.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 257_X_50, 8 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,397
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.