-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 40 S&W was conceived for the specific purpose of providing substantial thump and good magazine capacity.

Apparently in the interim, a lot of people have determined it kicks too hard or is too big/heavy in available platforms. As I understand it, many are now thrilled with the 9mm, So there's something for everyone except folks who can't make up their minds or stick to a platform long enough to attain a degree of skill with it.

That's a head problem, not an external ballistics problem.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
GB1

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sarge you make a pretty good point. Regardless of what cartridge you shoot, you have to practice.

Here is Paul Harrell review of the 1986 Miami shootout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv8cByaVyNQ

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
He was shot just below his bottom lip, splitting his jaw and blowing 3 teeth out his neck. He thought the guy caught him with a haymaker. Yes he had a vest on. Caught one in his plate, one in the edge of soft armor. Took another in his leg and one in his shoulder. RN I think.

Perp took several rounds but kept coming and shooting. One round was fatal but fight did not stop till officer grabbed him and stuck his gun to his head. His light was used as a standoff to fire the round.

People don't always just lay down and die, even when hit in the A zone.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jimmyp
So in the 380 to 45ACP all being about equal, where does the FN 5.7 fit? Inquiring minds want to know.

Who knows. But the FN handgun that shoots it has a reputation of having iffy reliability.

I really need to get one and put it through the ringer. To me there is great appeal in a 20oz, 20 round capacity, armor penetrating, sidearm.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jimmyp
So in the 380 to 45ACP all being about equal, where does the FN 5.7 fit? Inquiring minds want to know.

Who knows. But the FN handgun that shoots it has a reputation of having iffy reliability.

I really need to get one and put it through the ringer. To me there is great appeal in a 20oz, 20 round capacity, armor penetrating, sidearm.

I believe they have 30 round mags as well.

I’ve been close to buying one a half a dozen times.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by TWR
He was shot just below his bottom lip, splitting his jaw and blowing 3 teeth out his neck. He thought the guy caught him with a haymaker. Yes he had a vest on. Caught one in his plate, one in the edge of soft armor. Took another in his leg and one in his shoulder. RN I think.

Perp took several rounds but kept coming and shooting. One round was fatal but fight did not stop till officer grabbed him and stuck his gun to his head. His light was used as a standoff to fire the round.

So now we know the 9MM will do better. Knowledge is a wonderful thing. We are now relearning what we were fed in the late '70's and during the mid 80's when we were being told how the 9MM was going to replace the 45 Auto and everything else as a WEAPON that when DEPLOYED will cause a great marvelment.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by glockdoofus

Did the Cop have a vest on? Where was he hit. Where was the perp hit by the Cop?
Do you know these type of things?
Were the 45 Auro FMJ rounds a RN style or a FN style?
So now where do we go?
Should we start carrying an Encore single shot in 223 or maybe 243 to have a capable handgun? Maybe learn to speed shoot with it using a wrist ammo holder and practice "speed" shooting with it?
Would that work?
Maybe someone could come up with a semi auto like the Kel Tech 22 Win Mag that will hold 30 to 50 rounds that we could use when we DEPLOYED our WEAPON and also offer 100 roind drum magazines for it as a more comforting option.
30 to 50 rounds of 22 Mag released in the general area of the bad guy after DEPLOYING our WEAPON would be confidence inspiring.

I believe he's talking about Jared Reston.

Jared Reston article

Last edited by jds44; 08/17/18.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Im going to be heading out in a little while. I guess now I will be carrying my 9MM loaded with Underwood +P 147 grain ammo.
Or is that not a good choice?
Its hard to sit down with my 12 Gauge riot gun stuck inside my pants.

HE MENTORS ME.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Greg Ellifritz compiled data from 1700 shooting incidents and subjected them to statistical analysis. Some results he came up with were 1) the Failure To Stop Rate (the rate at which a cartridge - without considering number of rounds landed - failed to ultimately stop the attacker before the attacker accomplished his attack), and that rate was very high with anything below .380 ACP, but the rate dropped dramatically once we reach .380 ACP/.38 Special, and the range from .380 ACP/.38 Special up through .45 ACP (including .357 and .44 Magnum) was very close, i.e., the worst being 17% (.38 Special, with .380 ACP only one percentage point better), and the best being 13% (shared equally by 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Magnum, and .44 Magnum). Everything else among the .380 ACP/.38 Special through .45 ACP range fell somewhere in between. That's a pretty narrow range from .38 Special/.380 ACP up through .44 Magnum and .45 ACP, suggesting little meaningful difference vs what's commonly believed, i.e., it's commonly believed that the .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and the .44s are dramatically better fight stoppers than, for example, the .380 ACP.

PS "Failure To Stop" jumps up dramatically with .32 ACP (40% Failure To Stop Rate) and below (to include .25 ACP and .22 Rimfire), but .380 ACP/.38 Special (16% and 17% Failure To Stop Rates, respectively) marks the dramatic shift into the serious caliber range (in terms of this measure), all of which hover around the same figure (between 13% and 17%), .44 Magnum (a top performer in this category) enjoying only a 3% smaller Failure To Stop rate than .380 ACP.

So, if you carry a ..38 Special, and want to increase your chances by a whopping 4% of stopping an attack before it's carried out, switch to a .357 Magnum, a 9mm, a .40 S&W, a .45 ACP, or a .44 Special or Magnum. If you're carrying a .380 ACP, switching to one of those will only increase your chances by 3%.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have an LCPII 380 and could carry it and leave the 9MM at home or used it as a BUG. I thought as I got older things would become more simple. How wrong I was.

HE MENTORS ME.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
More is better considering the defense ammo available today...but i am still partial to a Glock 22.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by krupp
More is better considering the defense ammo available today...but i am still partial to a Glock 22.

It's an excellent round and handgun. Larger hole and more ft. lbs. energy on target cannot be bad, and mag capacity for the same platform is just a hair behind 9mm. If you can handle the recoil exactly as well as you can 9mm out of the Glock 17, it's a great choice.

For me, I notice the recoil difference, and would require more live-fire range time to narrow the gap (round to round) between the 17 and the 22, so (not being able to afford the thousand rounds a week I'd need), I stick with the 17.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR

So now we know the 9MM will do better. Knowledge is a wonderful thing. We are now relearning what we were fed in the late '70's and during the mid 80's when we were being told how the 9MM was going to replace the 45 Auto and everything else as a WEAPON that when DEPLOYED will cause a great marvelment.

No. Now we know you have to want to win more than the other guy. Being shot with anything does not guarantee you will go down right now unless you are hit in the CNS.
A buddy of mine took a class last year and I asked him what was the one thing he took away from it? Fight until the other guy is out of the fight.

Yes it was Jared Reston, just a different 2 hour video that I watched.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just bought me a 33 round mag for my 9 MM Glock. I think it will cause my shirt to stick out due to the length but at least I know I will be ready.
I may buy a couple more to carry as spares. That will give me a hundred rounds. That will be better than 21 rounds of 45 Auto which has now morphed into a prehistoric blob of dinosaur poop that has even lost it smell much less its strengtn.

HE MENTORS ME.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I just bought me a 33 round mag for my 9 MM Glock. I think it will cause my shirt to stick out due to the length but at least I know I will be ready.
I may buy a couple more to carry as spares. That will give me a hundred rounds. That will be better than 21 rounds of 45 Auto which has now morphed into a prehistoric blob of dinosaur poop that has even lost it smell much less its strengtn.

No no. The way you do it is you carry your normal 17 round mag in your Glock 17 carried IWB under an untucked short, and stick the 33 rounder, floor plate up, in your opposite-side front pants pocket, pushed to the outer corner. Carries nice there, and your untucked shirt covers it up nicely. It's actually easier to access when going for a spare than if you carried a standard sized mag for a reload. Give it a try.

As for me, I generally don't do this, but during times of heightened caution, I have done so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The five hard cast wadcutters in the 38 Airweight in my pocket aren't feeling too good right about now. Would a Vaquero 45 on one side balance a PMR-30 on the other? Would 30 22's in the air even be noticed in one of these epic battles? Are we all doomed to statistical uncertainty in the face of certain death?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I feel like i have been crushed under overwhelming evidence that the underwhelming 45 Auto is now a hasbeen. After i have labored under the delusion that the 45 Auto was a powerful cartridge. I am now afraid to think about the 44 Magnum compared to the 38 Special.
I have been told that life has it ups and downs but i certainly didnt expect this. I am still reeling from this epiphany.
Certainly a sad, very, very, sad day.
I have set aside a mourning period that will beging at 12:00PM tonight till i feel i have regained my inner strength to go on.
As one who has had his bubble destroyed it wiil be a long time before i will be able to look at 45 Auto cartridge or WEAPON again.
I have now put away my 45 ammo and WEAPONS not to be gazed upon for an undertermined lenght of time.😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩🤧🤧🤧🤧🤧🤧🤧🤧🤧😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited by glockdoofus; 08/17/18. Reason: Ignorance, stupidity, lack of observation

HE MENTORS ME.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Is there something about the word weapon you have a problem with? I'm not getting all the emphasis on the word.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes.

HE MENTORS ME.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Glock, glock, glock..... that is what my cat says when she is hacking up a hairball.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,194
Posts18,503,541
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.