-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Cambodian in-laws firmly believe in this. They basically practice it. One day, after a somewhat painful visit with them, where they were showing off their new Section 8 housing, I had a lapse of decorum. As we were leaving, my sweet fifteen yeaor old niece asked me what I thought of their new place. Note- I can't stand her mother but she was a nice kid.

I told her, " Linda, I remember this place. This made the news about forty years ago."

"Really? Why?", the innocent asked.

"It was a huge scandal at first, then covered up. The company that built these houses built over a graveyard - and they only removed the headstones. There are corpses in their graves underneath this house as I speak", I said loudly, blatantly stealing the story line of Poltergeist.

Chaos ensued as the English speaking segment ran to their little shrines and began praying and screaming to the spirits. They were immediately joined by the others as they began to understand the serious of the issue.

Linda was shocked by the clamor and the almost palpable feel of the heightened emotions as panic swirled through the house. Then her brow wrinkled and she look back at me.

"Uncle Tracy, is that true?", she asked, as more than a little bit of skepticism crept into her voice.

"Absolutely not. But don't tell anyone until after I am gone."

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Old colored ppl in these parts paint the bottom trunk of a tree white. And bury tires half in the ground and paint white. To keep the Haints out.

Thanks! I've seen white painted trunks and tires and never knew why they were painted that way. You learn something new every day!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old colored ppl in these parts paint the bottom trunk of a tree white. And bury tires half in the ground and paint white. To keep the Haints out.

People may laugh, but has anybody ever seen any haints around those places? Huh?

It works.....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

People may laugh, but has anybody ever seen any haints around those places? Huh?

It works.....

why no, they haven't. and i've always thought the folks were painting their tree trunks and half buried tires to show the neighbors that they were somebody, and not a bunch of riff-raff. that they were going the extra mile to be somebody in their community.

had never even thought of the spiritual/metaphyical angle to the demonstration of their paintings.

never seen a haint in those yards. have heard tell of folks pouring out of windowless shacks when a 10-22 opened up against the sides of heartpine shanty at midnight.

but, that's different from the subject at hand.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C

It works.....

Good point....can't argue with that logic

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Crow hunter

Thanks! I've seen white painted trunks and tires and never knew why they were painted that way. You learn something new every day!

Granddad got it right whitewashing tree trunks

Discover ideas about Flower Pots My white washed tire flower pots!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Almost all the trees I've seen painted white are fruit trees. The white paint reflects the sun's UV and prevents the bark from blistering. Warding off the Sun God's evil effects maybe?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I wanna hear a detailed account about them boogeymen that keep chasin' Renegade50 around Fort Campbell.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
In 1971, while stationed in Taiwan, I met a little Chinese girl. We married in 1974 and were inseparable until her death in1988. She was my best friend, hunting and fishing partner and drinking buddy...I was not complete without her. We had no close friends and neither of us had family so when she died I was alone. Two days after her funeral I was in bed trying not very successfully to sleep when I felt some one sit on the edge of what had been our bed. It was her. We talked for a while and I apologized for screwing up her funeral and a lot of other things. She forgave me, kissed my cheek and was gone. Two years later, I was working as a heavy truck mechanic in Anchorage. I had gone in to work on a Sunday morning. Had to walk through a foot and a half of fresh snow to get into the shop. Mine were the only tracks in that snow. As often happened back then, I felt a depression coming on so I stepped out side for a little fresh air. When I opened the door I felt a warmth come over me and realized she was there. I breathed deeply and felt the depression lift. Looking down at the snow I saw, on top of my tracks, the chop stick she used to hold up her hair.

My God, how I miss her.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

It works.....

Good point....can't argue with that logic

Around here they painted the tree trunks around the beer joints. So they could see 'em better at night when they were drunk. Saved 'em from walking or driving into a tree , didn't have anything to do with haints , just had to do with drunkenness.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I wanna hear a detailed account about them boogeymen that keep chasin' Renegade50 around Fort Campbell.

Some people blow away hummingbirds for fun because they are little, maybe they were freaked out by Tinkerbell as a kid I dunno. Turns out killing hummingbirds is really, really bad ju ju. Bad ju ju can manifest itself in many ways.....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Alonzo_Tubbs
In 1971, while stationed in Taiwan, I met a little Chinese girl. We married in 1974 and were inseparable until her death in1988. She was my best friend, hunting and fishing partner and drinking buddy...I was not complete without her. We had no close friends and neither of us had family so when she died I was alone. Two days after her funeral I was in bed trying not very successfully to sleep when I felt some one sit on the edge of what had been our bed. It was her. We talked for a while and I apologized for screwing up her funeral and a lot of other things. She forgave me, kissed my cheek and was gone. Two years later, I was working as a heavy truck mechanic in Anchorage. I had gone in to work on a Sunday morning. Had to walk through a foot and a half of fresh snow to get into the shop. Mine were the only tracks in that snow. As often happened back then, I felt a depression coming on so I stepped out side for a little fresh air. When I opened the door I felt a warmth come over me and realized she was there. I breathed deeply and felt the depression lift. Looking down at the snow I saw, on top of my tracks, the chop stick she used to hold up her hair.

My God, how I miss her.

Egad, what a sad situation :sad:

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Some people blow away hummingbirds for fun because they are little, maybe they were freaked out by Tinkerbell as a kid I dunno. Turns out killing hummingbirds is really, really bad ju ju. Bad ju ju can manifest itself in many ways.....

Yeah?,.......

Boogermen to hummingbirds,....

Kinda sounds like one o'them revelations that comes about as the result of a box of wine.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Renegard50: Boogerman jumped out from behind a tree at me down to Ft. Campbell one day.

Birdwatcher: Uh-huh!,....uh-huh!,...you shot a hummingbird, didn't ya?!

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The threads on here can sure take off in some fugged up directions sometimes,...

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
,....and I got a buzz.

I can just imagine what this chit sounds like to a tea-totaler.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

My God, how I miss her.

I think it's fortunate that he had the opportunity at that kind of love. Of course not fortunate that she died, but the love expressed is a wonderful thing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead

My God, how I miss her.

I think it's fortunate that he had the opportunity at that kind of love. Of course not fortunate that she died, but the love expressed is a wonderful thing.

this

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have two stories, take them however you like.

When I was in college my Uncle Larry died. When he was a kid he was hit by a car while riding a bike and had some brain damage as a result. Slower, somewhat slurred speech, a little bit of coordination issues, some old scarring that you could still see. That's how I knew him my entire life.

A few months after he died I went to visit my grandparents one weekend when they had a few other family members over for a little get together. Due to this I ended up sleeping on the couch, while their bedroom was off to the side of the living room.

I don't know if I actually woke up and saw this, or sensed that he was there and it played out in a dream and woke up in my dream to see it, but my Uncle Larry was there. I was laying on the couch, looked up, and saw him standing at the door to their bedroom. And during this I had the most amazing feeling, I guess you could call it euphoria, but I really have no way to describe it. I just felt amazing, the best mood ever, the best feeling ever, and I couldn't stop smiling. He was wearing a red shirt, had no visible scars, no coordination issues, no speech issues, and was just looking in at them. After a while he said he was leaving now, in a very clear voice. None of the physical difficulties I had known him to have, only what would be his true self without the childhood accident.

I woke up the next morning still smiling, still in a great mood. One way or another, he was there - don't care what anyone thinks or says otherwise.

The other incident was early this year. My dog, Bailey, died while I was in training for my new job while she stayed at my dad's. I sold my house in CO, was buying one in ID, had a few months of training ahead so brought a few things and Bailey down to his house for the time I was in training and would visit when I could. She was just shy of 12 years old, she had been with me through several jobs, marriage, miscarriage, divorce, living in five states, two countries, going into the Army, a deployment, getting out of the Army, always an amazing and loyal dog. Hit me hard when she died, was completely out of the blue, in her sleep. Still got around great, tons of energy, thought she had years left.

So... I have an analog watch, typical tick.tick.tick for the seconds. When the battery gets low it does a tick tick................. tick tick................ that kind of resembles a heartbeat when you listen to it.

Anyway, I had to fly down to his place and was constantly looking at my watch to catch two different flights. Worked like normal. The battery was about 9 years old at that point. Two flights, walking through the airport, in the car on the way to his house, worked normally. I got in the house, trying not to tear up of course, and just wanted to get to the spare bedroom where she was staying and close the door.

For anyone who is a dog person, it is very hard losing one that you're close to. So of course I got in the room, closed the door, and started crying knowing that was the bed she died on in her sleep. Laid down on the bed and after a few minutes glanced at my watch and had to do a double-take. Tick tick................ tick tick................. tick tick.................. resembling that heartbeat again.

Coincidence? Let's gamble that it is a 10 year battery, went out in year 9. Very expected. But to not only narrow it down to the month, the week, the day.... not even just the morning. But narrow it down to not the plane rides, not the drive to his house... not any other time for my battery to start doing that except for when I was laying on that bed - a very specific 30 minutes in the course of the entire 9th year of that battery, what are the odds? Not just any 30 minutes, but those 30 minutes, in that place. I don't see it as coincidence, but maybe just a message that she's doing well and her heart is still beating strong and I don't need to feel so bad.

Again, don't care what anyone else thinks about it, take it as you like.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by satx78247
To All,

Fwiw, all images & visitations are NOT demons or ghosts.

Im inclined to agree.

some family members have seen one passed grandparent standing in the home doorway
and some have seen apparitions of dogs we once had walk through parts of the house.

nobody said they felt spooked, threatened or interfered with.

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I don't believe in any of this ghost or spirit stuff. It seems to me that the only people who ever experience
any are those who do believe in it.

There are some people who used to be total sceptics like you, but a series of experiences
totally changed their view.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,610
Posts18,473,822
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.