Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 79S
Don't drink much soju [bleep] will grab you by the ass before you know it..

This and that Kim Chi with rotten Oysters in it will give you pants ripping flatulence, and then those cab rides with the military drivers that think they are not doing their job unless they get the vehicle on two wheels.

Back to the original post: 120 & 7mm damn good, just don't eat that more funky Kim Chi before going into the blind and all will be well.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by yukonal
Little background info here. Maybe some of the guys that have been around here awhile may remember, maybe not.

The 120 NBT was originally developed in the 7MM for silhouette shooting. Didn't have enough weight to knock over rams, so Nosler beefed up the jacket to add weight and strength. Thus the thicker jacket. Just so happens, it turned out to be an awesome hunting bullet. (At least that's the story that was going around 10 years ago)

Those of you that remember when I used to post alot, remember many pictures of many different types of game...expired because of my 708(The Ram Slammer) and a 120 NBT.

I still shoot them, and they still kill just as effectively as ever.

I still remember your posts of your hunting adventures and pictures. It made me a believer in that little 120 gr. nbt bullet that could, did and still does. I know what they will do to an elk and I still reload those bullets.

Just wish that whole series of what you posted was a sticky in and of itself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the kind words.

I went thru some pictures, and was going to post them...but they all had to be resized for the file manager.

Suffice to say, I have used that neat little bullet to take game all over the US, Canada, and Alaska. Sheep, goat, Audad, Oryx, deer, hogs, coyotes, fox, etc., etc. I've never lost an animal that was hit with a 120 NBT. All in a 708. It's a very reliable combination for big game in the US.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lastround
I wish I had thousands of the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. They are the most accurate bullet I’ve ever used in my 7mm-08s and work great on whitetails. Two years ago at 120 yds. and last year at 225. Couldn’t ask for better performance at 3100 fps. Also worked pretty well on a coyote at a little over 300 yds. After the shot, both deer went about 20 yds. and dropped. The coyote was DRT. Never used on anything bigger, but I have every confidence in this bullet!

Hey Doug,
SPS has some blems available now!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
I wish I had thousands of the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. They are the most accurate bullet I’ve ever used in my 7mm-08s and work great on whitetails. Two years ago at 120 yds. and last year at 225. Couldn’t ask for better performance at 3100 fps. Also worked pretty well on a coyote at a little over 300 yds. After the shot, both deer went about 20 yds. and dropped. The coyote was DRT. Never used on anything bigger, but I have every confidence in this bullet!

Hey Doug,

Out of stock

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A few years ago Nosler ran a bunch of 120 BT with a blue tip instead of red. They sold them as a special run, but still over half off of new. I called them Blue Meanies. I bought 20 boxes.

[Linked Image]

They are very consistent on the comparator, varying very little, if at all, from .561”. They shoot great, too. The problem I have (if you can call it that) is that the darn 140 Partitions and 150 ELDX shoot just as well.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
A few years ago Nosler ran a bunch of 120 BT with a blue tip instead of red. They sold them as a special run, but still over half off of new. I called them Blue Meanies. I bought 20 boxes.

[Linked Image]
P

I did the same.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tag

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hey Doug,

Thanks Marty, but I was too slow. I didn’t see your post until yesterday and they were already out of stock.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Hey Doug,

Thanks Marty, but I was too slow. I didn’t see your post until yesterday and they were already out of stock.

Sps has them frequently.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ccrifles
I guess I'm the odd man out, I got completed different results last year shooting it at 2975 fps out of a 7mm-08. Shot a average W/T Doe broadside through the lungs at 200 yards across an open field. There was no sign of a hit. I was afraid to shoot again, as the shot was so steady I felt the scope was off and I couldn't trust my sight. I watch her walking about 200 yard till she was out of sight. I immediately went to where she stood when I shot, and could find any blood or any other sign, now it was at dusk. I walked her path and found her not far from where she went out of sight dead. My buddy came over in just a few minutes. I was looking and honestly could not find an entrance or exit hole. The second I started to core her butt, blood just gushed out. My friend had some choice adjectives. Field dressing her it looked like she had been shot with a varmint bullet, every organ was a mess and fragments everywhere. I found the bullet hole from the inside was right where I aimed, as I was sighted in for 200 yards. I should have taken a lot of pictures, as I've never seen anything like it and I've killed a lot of deer with a lot of different weapons. In this particular rifle I've mostly used Barnes and Partitions, and it's always been DRT. I decided to try the 120 grain BT due to it's glowing recommendations here, but the example of one is enough for me. I'd never use it again. I know read others who reported similar experiences were always shouted down that they used "old" bullets before they beefed them up. Well I purchased the bullets from Midway in 2017, so I'd say they were new. Honestly if I didn't see it and someone described this to me, I'd probably think it was BS, but I that's what happened. I would have liked to have loved that bullet as it consistently shot 1/2 groups, but I've found I can get 2930 with a 140 grain Partition max load of Big Game and 1 inch groups so I'm good.

Well, it's kinda like claiming I've seen bigfoot but my one and only so far experience with the 120BT was mixed good and bad. Good, because I was examining the dead deer that took the round but bad because the bullet seems to have totally self destructed. Load for my wife's 7mm-08 Abolt Micro 20" barrel is 40gr RlL15. Not exactly hot. She shot a whitetail buck that weighed right at 170 lbs in the spine just in front of the left shoulder at what looked like 60 yards or so. Inside there was a void about 2" around where that much spine used to be, headed in the direction of the right shoulder. But that was it. Just a big hole ending before it got into the off shoulder with various bits of bullet and jacket scattered about. Never even got to the shoulder after blowing out the neck spine. We skinned and butchered the deer ourselves so had ample opportunity to search. Bullet just did it's job then self destructed. We'll try it again this year along with my Model 7 Stainless 7mm-08 loaded with 45gr of Varget. Maybe she pulled the trigger too hard.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ctpa61
Looking for some real world experiences with this bullet of game as big as elk. I got a new rifle that shoots these into tiny groups, and getting a velocity of 3150. I have used the Barnes ttxs 120s with good results on elk but this rifle will only do about 1.5 inches with them. Let me know what you have killed with this bullet and how it worked for you,

Thanks,
CT

Remington 700 7 Mag, Browning A bolts
Jump the bullet .050 from the Lands to start.

Try this load:

120g tipped tripple shock or Tsx
Rem brass
CCI 250 Primer
71-73g R#22
expect tiny groups when you get toward a max load, tiny. Remington 700's love this load

with the 140g ttxx
Rem brass
Rem 9 1/2
bullet seated .040 off the lands
64-66g of IMR 4350
Expect the bullets to be touching with the right powder charge

66-68g of R#22 with a cci 250 may give you the same small tiny groups

Note: 120g tsx will not stop in an elk, 90% of the time

We shot a lot of deer with the 120g nosler ballistic tip, they are tough, but half never go through the deer. They flop within 40 yards as their innards are blended.

When I did not know any better, I killed two big bulls with 140g nosler ballistic tips, the first lot out on the market. Jeez, they died in a hurry wth the 7 Mag Browning A bolt!

Last edited by keith; 08/27/18.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I guess I'm the odd man out, I got completed different results last year shooting it at 2975 fps out of a 7mm-08. Shot a average W/T Doe broadside through the lungs at 200 yards across an open field. There was no sign of a hit. I was afraid to shoot again, as the shot was so steady I felt the scope was off and I couldn't trust my sight. I watch her walking about 200 yard till she was out of sight. I immediately went to where she stood when I shot, and could find any blood or any other sign, now it was at dusk. I walked her path and found her not far from where she went out of sight dead. My buddy came over in just a few minutes. I was looking and honestly could not find an entrance or exit hole. The second I started to core her butt, blood just gushed out. My friend had some choice adjectives. Field dressing her it looked like she had been shot with a varmint bullet, every organ was a mess and fragments everywhere. I found the bullet hole from the inside was right where I aimed, as I was sighted in for 200 yards. I should have taken a lot of pictures, as I've never seen anything like it and I've killed a lot of deer with a lot of different weapons. In this particular rifle I've mostly used Barnes and Partitions, and it's always been DRT. I decided to try the 120 grain BT due to it's glowing recommendations here, but the example of one is enough for me. I'd never use it again. I know read others who reported similar experiences were always shouted down that they used "old" bullets before they beefed them up. Well I purchased the bullets from Midway in 2017, so I'd say they were new. Honestly if I didn't see it and someone described this to me, I'd probably think it was BS, but I that's what happened. I would have liked to have loved that bullet as it consistently shot 1/2 groups, but I've found I can get 2930 with a 140 grain Partition max load of Big Game and 1 inch groups so I'm good.

Your thinking is flawed.

The entire lungs, heart were mush, the deer had no vital organs to keep pumping O2 to the brain. The deer just had great will to live, running on Adrenalin.

If you shoot a deer in the lungs/heart, they OFTEN will run up to 200 yards with the blood gushing, there is no getting around it. If you happened to hit the deer too far back, behind the diaphragm, then you ruptured some major arteries in the stomach/intestine area.

CCrifles, if you are lung shooting deer, some of them are going to run. Here in this state, the limit until last year was 12 deer per year, no tags or check in, honor system.

So, if you don't like running deer, shoot their running gear out from under them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Having loaded and used the 7mm 120-grain Ballistic Tip since Nosler quit making the old 120-grain Flat Base, I find this hard to believe.

My daughters, grandchildren, friends and guest hunters have harvested truckloads of desert mule deer, Coues whitetails, Texas whitetails, pronghorns, a couple of elk and God only knows how many feral hogs using this bullet in a variety of rifles chambered for the 7mm-08. I posted many of those animals and, in most cases, got reports from those who field-dressed out the ones that I did not do. Never saw or heard of anything like your experience. I would say that most of those animals were taken well within 200 yards, as many of the hunters were newbies or people who otherwise had not shot much in the way of big game. My "standard" loads, using IMR 4350, Varget and now Big Game, have always clocked right around 3,100 fps from a variety of rifles over the years.

I guess that Nosler may let a bad one may get through once in a while, or end up with a different bullet in a new box of 50 or 100, but we sure haven't had to misfortune to run across one yet.

Last edited by mudhen; 08/28/18.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Example of one is almost meaningless. Something could have been fugged up in the reloading process, like a technition picking up a core after just having eaten greasy nachos.

Occasionally the alloy of a coil of core wire can vary from one end to the other. Same with the jacket material. Nosler is very consistent but it does happen. Barnes was plagued by changes in the alloy material early on and it wasn't until they switched suppliers that they eliminated this. These problems still follows them today with rumors of bad bullets or penciling through.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Please understand the Nosler BT is a DEER bullet. When hunting elk you need the toughest deepest penetrating bullet you can get. When elk hunting you don't always get a clear broad side shot at the rib cage like the magazines show. You may only have a shoulder or a hip to shoot at through openings in the trees & veneration. You very likely will have to penetrate tough deep muscle & heavy dense bone. Could only have seconds to line up & shoot as the elk could be moving. Don't pass up a for sure elk bullet like the TSX for the maybe, possibility of the Noslert BT working. Stick with the Barnes TSX. Also have you tried seating the TSX deeper in .010" increments? Many times this will shrink groups.with the TSX. Could be worth a try. I have observed a considerable amount of deer shot with the BT. Most of what I have seen is a very explosive bullet. Some times leaving grapefruit size entrance holes & a considerable amount of blood shot meat. If you contact Nosler they will tell you this 120gr BT bullet is not recommended for elk. With low elk & deer #'s here in Colorado only a tough deep penetrating bullet should be used. The odds of wounding & loosing an elk are to great to take chance with. At the very least use a Nosler Partition.

Last edited by Hesp; 08/30/18.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You shoot elk in the ass?

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

" You shoot elk in the ass?"

You don't.....Ever? Really?

Lefty C

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by leftycarbon

" You shoot elk in the ass?"

You don't.....Ever? Really?

Lefty C

I hope you’re being funny, but no, I don’t.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,506 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.