24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man I love my Tikka accurate easy to pack and it fits me good no problems from 20 above to 35 below. But I really like the rifleman's rifle. After some thought it would be the Winchester

BP-B6

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tikka T3X... Make mine a superlite too...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love that stock on that Mod. 70
It's like bad to the bone.

Texas
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Currently there are 2 rifles in contention to go on a trophy mule deer hunt this fall. A m700 based 280 AI,and a T3 270 Win in factory issue.

The big Remington build lays still in the bog pod. Like a corpse. The tuned old school trigger is the best in the safe. A close second is the Kimber. Tikka comes in third.

The thing that keeps easing me toward the T3,is the detachable mag. The last time I took a Tikka to the mountains I carried 3 mags. One lived in/with the rifle. The others were zipped in appropriate jacket or pant pockets. Great way to carry spare ammo. Not to mention the single stack design feeds like a dream. Didn't figure even I could loose all three,lol.

The jury is still out. If I had to grab one right now and head out the door,it would be the Tikka. Shorter,lighter and they both shoot the same to 400 yards. And detachable mags.

I love all the different opinions. It makes our sport great,and inspires more rifle purchases. Nuttin wrong with that.

Last edited by Otter6; 09/06/18.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I’m only at about 12,000 rounds through Tikka mags this year, so not much experience.... but, there isn’t a problem with their mags.

Thanks Form, that’s what I was hoping to hear - those Superlite T3X are appealing.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not as many rounds through a Tikka as Formy, but in 1,000 or so through various T3s, never had a mag failure and never had a mag crash when dropped.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I broke one. Fired a 280 Rem in a 7 Rem mag. Blew the bottom out of the magazine,the sides stayed in the rifle. Got it back together,but bought a replacement anyway. They aren't indestructible, but that WAS kinda extreme.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Otter6

The thing that keeps easing me toward the T3,is the detachable mag. The last time I took a Tikka to the mountains I carried 3 mags. One lived in/with the rifle. The others were zipped in appropriate jacket or pant pockets. Great way to carry spare ammo. Not to mention the single stack design feeds like a dream. Didn't figure even I could loose all three,lol.

The jury is still out. If I had to grab one right now and head out the door,it would be the Tikka. Shorter,lighter and they both shoot the same to 400 yards. And detachable mags.

I love all the different opinions. It makes our sport great,and inspires more rifle purchases. Nuttin wrong with that.

I too find the detachable mag an asset, not a detriment, but I grew up using a 760 and various military rifles with box magazines. Never lost a mag but had a bit of trouble inserting the 760 mags at times, not so with the Tikka. In smooth, out smooth. Whats not to like with a quality barrel, accuracy, nice trigger and a design that lends itself to well to quick loading/unloading without those noisy pocket full of loose cartridges?

Always a good idea to carry at least one extra magazine for the the times that you may accidentally throw it under a vehicle's wheel or it drops from the rifle without you noticing it. LOL

I like the five round mags over the three round, very easy to insert and allows extra capacity if needed. Prices have dropped to $30-$35 at sportmans guide/ cheaper than dirt for these mags, so no excuse to have extras

SD

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have both of these rifles.

A Tikka T3X Lite Stainless in .308 and an Extreme Weather in .300WSM.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...13111046/tikka-vs-winchester-ew#comments

The Tikka with scope and sling weighs in at 7lbs. 4oz. unloaded. This is my second Tikka, the first I could never get to shoot MOA with anything, I sent it back to Beretta and they promptly replaced it. The replacement has been amazing with factory ammo and shoots the Hornady 168 Amax load tight. Of the 3 Tikkas I have fooled with, they have probably one of the best, for a factory rifle, triggers I have used. They are about as light a rifle as I would want for the typical hunting that I do. The action is slick and the whole package is very businesslike, no frills, just durable and very accurate.

The Winchester EW rifle weighs 7lbs 14oz. unloaded. In .300 WSM I wouldn't want it any lighter. I've used handloads in this rifle from the start and it shoots sub MOA with 180gr. ballistic tips, accubonds and Hornady sst's. The trigger was not as easy to adjust but it is set at 3 lbs. and is crisp to me, I could probably get a different spring for it and get it down a little lighter. It is one of the earlier models with the stock that everyone complains about, but I haven't had any problems with it. It has a very different feel to it than the Tikka. It's more mechanical feeling with more parts moving, but a very slick action. Brad here on the fire posted a list of minor polishing, touching up items that he does to factory rifles and I did those things to this rifle and it is my favorite rifle package, just not chambered in my favorite cartridge. It is just a very solid rifle, feels good in your hands. Feels like quality. If you needed it to be lighter, I'm sure with a stock swap you could take at least a 1/2 lb. off.

But for the cost of a new stock, you could probably find a Tikka that is already lighter for not much more and just have 2 rifles.

If I had to pick just one for the hunting I do, and I don't have to pick. I would pick the Winchester. If backpacking and steep terrain was my usual, I'd pick the Tikka.

Bob.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned both. I hated the stock on the M70 EW so I traded it on a Browning X-Bolt. I still have 3 Tikka T3/T3x's.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tikka’s price sure makes it easier to put nicer glass on top, or more tags in your pocket.

Last edited by Jonathon; 09/07/18.
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I've owned both. I hated the stock on the M70 EW so I traded it on a Browning X-Bolt. I still have 3 Tikka T3/T3x's.

I've heard the newer stocks on the Winchester EW are slimmer. Anyone know if the wrist area would feel thicker on a 30-06 compared to a .308 on the newer stocks? I thought I can remember reading where people thought the short action felt slimmer on the older models.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just picked up the Winchester EW in 30-06, very accurate, timney trigger on the way, very happy with the rifle!

Just a suggestion, if you like the Tikka but not so much plastic and prefer a 3-position safety then consider a Sako A7. It has very similar lines to the Tikka, excellent Sako barrel, more metal parts, 3pos safety and the mag release has kind of a safety to prevent accidental release. I have an A7 in .30-06 and bought it instead of the Win Featherweight I had planned to get. The stick fit me so perfectly I had to get it. Excellent bolt and trigger from the get go.

My next rifle I wanted 6.5x55 but didn’t want to spend so much so went with a Tikka T3Lite. Very nice shooter and 85% of what the Sako is but about half the cost.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If I were facing this question I wouldn’t try to answer it without handling both rifles, and an idea of my cartridge preference.

The reason I say that is because my preference for each rifle would depend greatly upon cartridge choice, and the ergonomics of both rifles have influenced the way I shot them.

Funny thing is, all else equal, I’d go with the Tikka in short action cartridges and the Winchester in long action choices.

And even though extraneous to your question, I’ll say anyway, that there are alternatives both above and below the price of these rifles, which you could either (a) buy and swap the stock out for one of your preference for less money, or (b) by the time you spend the money on rifle and aftermarket stock, have purchased a more expensive, nicer rifle in the first place.

Good luck and enjoy!

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Model 70 EW in 308 is a marvelous rifle. The trigger breaks perfectly. Its light and very nice handling. Has a safety that actually functions like a safety should

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 308 is a VERY poor return on performance,to recoil ratio.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Gun store in my area has a Featherweight wood stock .308 Winchester Model 70 with stainless barrel. Anyone know if the Featherweight barrel is thinner than the EW?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The 308 is a VERY poor return on performance,to recoil ratio.

Hint...................

But it is an excellent cartridge for the vast majority of hunting. Hint! And recoil is soft as a maidens kiss, what's not to like?

Last edited by rickt300; 05/12/19.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What production Winchester, current or New Haven?

It's going to be hard to get a better rifle for the same money as the T3x.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 375sunrise, 338reddog, 450yukon, 9 invisible), 1,186 guests, and 492 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,435
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.