Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 40 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 39 40
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
You really are more dense than I thought, which I didn't think was possible.

It's not revenge, it's prevention. The majority of bears don't attack people, and don't become problems. When they do, they need to be taken out.

It's really simple if you think about it.

With all due respect, grizzly bears are apex predators. When hungry, any of them may choose to attack a person messing with what they've determined is their next meal.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
With all due respect, a man with a gun is at the top of the apex. Most grizzlies comport themselves accordingly; those that don't need to be eliminated from the population. If not they will continue and in this case teach their offspring.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
With all due respect, a man with a gun is at the top of the apex. Most grizzlies comport themselves accordingly; those that don't need to be eliminated from the population. If not they will continue and in this case teach their offspring.

None of them will comport themselves by your standard, given similar circumstances to the present case.

You may as well launch cruise missiles into the lake every time someone drowns in it. Makes just as much sense.

Now, the case of a bear who has been habituated to eating human offerings, or from garbage cans, is a different case, and the only solution in those cases may well be destruction. But there is no evidence that this was the situation in the present case. These bears were in their own habitat, just doing what grizzlies do, tragedy though it may be for the human victims.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

+1 in this case the Sow taught the cub that killing a man was warranted. That's why the cub was eliminated as well.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

+1 in this case the Sow taught the cub that killing a man was warranted. That's why the cub was eliminated as well.

You're operating under the assumption that bears are ordinarily born with the belief that humans are always off limits.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by Anjin
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
A few years ago while bow hunting Island Park not too far from Yellowstone we were seeing big bear tracks everywhere. I killed my elk early in the season but continued to go up and call for my friend that called mine in for me. I carried my call, my 45/70 guide gun loaded with 350 grain hornady flat noses at almost 2100 fps and my 329 pd full of 300 grain xtps.

I was sitting in the truck waiting for my friend to squat in the woods when a warden pulled up to check me. He asked what I was doing with the rifle and I told him I had already tagged out but was carrying it while I called for my friend because we had seen so much bear sign. He said they had caught 13 different Grizzlies in a live trap that summer just a mile or so up the road towards the store. I asked where they were relocated too and he said they weren't relocated just tagged or collared and released again. He said they are all likely still in the area and a hunter just up the road had just saw 3 together at the same time.

He the proceeded to tell me I shouldn't carry the guns I should just get bear spray. I told him I was more comfortable with the guns. He said you'll think that until you use them and the Feds come down on you and ruin your life. He said even if it is self defense you better have some serious injuries if you shoot a griz because the Feds will investigate it like crazy and do everything they can to ruin your life. He said you can try to fight it in court but they'll bankrupt you in the process and likely let a murderer out of jail to make room for you. He said they bring in teams in helicopters and do intense forensic and crime scene investigation whenever a hunter injures a griz. He was cool about which idaho fish and game cops aren't always. He said he was just letting me know how bad it can get if you defend yourself against a bear with a gun. That was under the Obama regime a few years ago so maybe it's less intense now.

Bb

My impression is that authorities in Alaska are not nearly as protective of the bears in such a situation. I do know that they require you to forfeit the dead bear and file a report. Of course, Alaska is not short on bears.

However, if anyone can correct this, feel free.

Norm
BTDT and you are pretty much spot on with your take. The old adage about having to have claw or bite marks before you DLP a bear is nonsense, we shot that sow at about 15 yards as she was charging us and the troopers had no issue with us killing that bear. When it comes to dealing with bears, I don't give a hoot about the law or what the feds are going to do when it comes to shooting an attacking bear, self preservation is first and foremost.

Keep in mind that the Grizzlies in the lower 48 were on the federal endangered species list at the time I talked to this warden. Those in alaska were not listed so I doubt guys up there have to deal with the feds after a problem. Now that they're delisted here it might be less of a legal battle after a run in. All I know is it's terrible that that guide died and left his kids behind. The last thing I want to do in a situation would be to hesitate because of worrying about the feds. I wish that warden wouldn't have tried to get in my head with that crap.

Bb

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Most places where you would hunt elk and encounter a bear are pretty remote, if a man were forced to shoot a bear to protect one's own life, I don't think I would be in to big a hurry to tell anyone about it, in a day or so another bear will be feeding on that carcass anyways.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

You're operating under the assumption that bears are ordinarily born with the belief that humans are always off limits.

No , that cub was killed because it learned how to kill a man by its mother. Do I have to repeat that again? I tell you what why don't you ask someone in Wyoming F&G why they did that.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J

You are under the assumption that you have a clue. News flash, you dont.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

None of them will comport themselves by your standard, given similar circumstances to the present case.

You may as well launch cruise missiles into the lake every time someone drowns in it. Makes just as much sense.

Now, the case of a bear who has been habituated to eating human offerings, or from garbage cans, is a different case, and the only solution in those cases may well be destruction. But there is no evidence that this was the situation in the present case. These bears were in their own habitat, just doing what grizzlies do, tragedy though it may be for the human victims.

Bullsh**. Avoiding humans is 100% a learned behavior, and it can be unlearned. Both by individual animals and generationally.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I hiked, climbed and hunted in Mt., WY., and Idaho for >30 years before seeing my 1st Griz outside of a National Park. In the last 5 years my wife and I have been w/in 100 yards of grizzlys 3 times while dayhiking in Wyoming and Montana and have seen 2 more while driving FS roads. We were south of Yellowstone's South entrance in May and watched a sow griz w/ 2 older cubs from the road for over an hour before they walked past us and about 50 other people who had retreated to their cars and showed no fear of humans at all.

Not a statistical absolute but it would seem that there are more griz outside of the extreme back country and they are less skittish around humans. I am now much more 'Bear Aware' than I was 5 years ago. We are Headed to Jackson in 2 weeks and I find comfort in my Glock, Guide Gun and the fact that I can outrun my wife since her knee surgery. Be safe out there.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
10-4, Shrap I am myself not awful with my 37 ounce 44 with most any loads. I don't shoot it double action, I guess I need to practice that.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I would guess you might be a defense attorney, your logic is so skewed. Depleted Uranium has nothing on you for being dense...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ve read several reports but did not read the hunter’s perspective on the whole thing that was linked here; regardless, it’s a tragedy for too many and also really not completely preventable short of having no grizzlies prowling about. And I would not want that either.

It seems the guide had a Glock that was found somewhere nearby and apparently the hunter had a handgun also — so there were two handguns that were not put into action, or, did the guide get off any shot(s)? I can fully understand if not, and even if so, two very experienced DG guys carrying 458’s could be ambushed and one killed in seconds in some scenario.

I’ve also read that there was “bear spray” present but I don’t know if it was used. Regardless, does anyone believe, or want to bet his life, that this apparently very motivated grizzly, that attacked two guys probably in seconds, then returned to the first and killed him (was he already deceased?), before dragging his body off almost a quarter of a mile, would have been deterred by some pepper spray?

I’ve already speculated a bit, but even if there is the time to reach for something, I’m not reaching for any bear spray.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I would guess you might be a defense attorney.....

I think you're right. No wonder the jails are so crowded.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've heard no word on if any shots were fired, but the Fish and game guys said that the sow was found to have bear spray residue on her, and the guide was reportedly caring bear spray.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of the posts here are surprising and lot of arm chair quarter backing. Until you live here and deal with the bears here it is easy to say "should have, would have and could have". We have one grizzly in town here in Cody within the city limits that the game and fish are trying to trap. There has been 3 maulings so far this year and every year for the past several there are at least that many. The bears can come so quickly you don't have a chance to use your pistol or bear spray or what ever. Who ever said the guide didn't do his job doesn't have a clue. Especially for not being there, you don't know if he had a pistol on his hip or not or any other circumstance. I am sure he had a sidearm and if not bear spray.

There are so many bears now it is crazy. A guy at work drew a sheep tag this year and filled it opening day. He went scouting at least 6 times and every time but one he saw at least 5 grizzlies. He went to a different drainage every time till he found the sheep he was looking for. A large percentage of the time you encounter a bear it runs off or at the least ignores you. This story is one of the time they didn't. Animals are conditioned to be scared of humans. In the past week there have been two people in Mammoth in Yellowstone that have gotten attacked by the bull elk. People are all around watching them and this one elk is so aggresive that he attacks people. Granted people in the park are really stupid but if you are hunting elk in the wild and calling them in to archery range I have never heard of one attacking a hunter. Ever one I have seen splits so fast it is amazing if they see, smell or hear you.

The story sounds a little fishy to me with the hunter leaving him and throwing a pistol to the guide, then getting flown out meanwhile leaving the guide and then flying back to Florida before the guy is even found. I don't know if his flight was scheduled for that day or what but it just seems strange to me. I wouldn't be surprised if more comes out of this story.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most grizzlies comport themselves accordingly; those that don't need to be eliminated from the population. If not they will continue and in this case teach their offspring.

If they are anything like dogs and wolves, certainly individual bears must vary in personality, aggressiveness etc. much of which behavior is inherited (compare your average golden retriever to your average Jack Russel for example). I'm wondering if, back in the days, those grizzlies innately less fearful of people were more likely to be targeted, at least in retaliation, by humans. Even surviving getting stuck with arrows might seriously impede the subsequent survival of the bear.

In modern times it could be that this selection pressure against "problem" bears has decreased. I am not aware of accounts of guys being actively challenged for their kills much by grizzles in historic times as seems to regularly happen to hunters today, and while there are a few accounts of bears charging Indian camps back then, can one imagine the problems we would worry about if one set up an arch-typical Indian or Mountain Man-type camp in bear country today, especially if grizzlies today were as common and widespread as they were back then.

On the main topic, I'm inclined to view any large predator that doesn't turn and run at the sight or scent of humans as a suitable candidate for elimination, much more so for those that have already "crossed the line".

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Most grizzlies comport themselves accordingly; those that don't need to be eliminated from the population. If not they will continue and in this case teach their offspring.

If they are anything like dogs and wolves, certainly individual bears must vary in personality, aggressiveness etc. much of which behavior is inherited (compare your average golden retriever to your average Jack Russel for example). I'm wondering if, back in the days, those grizzlies innately less fearful of people were more likely to be targeted, at least in retaliation, by humans. Even surviving getting stuck with arrows might seriously impede the subsequent survival of the bear.

In modern times it could be that this selection pressure against "problem" bears has decreased. I am not aware of accounts of guys being actively challenged for their kills much by grizzles in historic times as seems to regularly happen to hunters today, and while there are a few accounts of bears charging Indian camps back then, can one imagine the problems we would worry about if one set up an arch-typical Indian or Mountain Man-type camp in bear country today, especially if grizzlies today were as common and widespread as they were back then.

On the main topic, I'm inclined to view any large predator that doesn't turn and run at the sight or scent of humans as a suitable candidate for elimination, much more so for those that have already "crossed the line".

I am going to go out on a limb and say that grizzly populations were evenly disbursed in the good old days. There are accounts of them on the great plains .

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Maybe the fact that the injuns and Mt. men were mostly illiterate could account for the lack of stories about bear attacks in historical times. I'm not a history teacher so that is just a guess on my part.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 10 of 40 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1minute, 1badf350, 2500HD, 22250rem, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,294
Posts18,505,315
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.