Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by Angus1895
No blame game here. And I have not read all the pages. But an observation.......

There is a definite downside to sticking an arrow in an Elk in the afternoon. Bone soured in the morning......plus a grizzly buffet!

Afternoon thermals can also be wish washy.

if the elk was shot in the afternoon, and gotten to the next day.....it was more than likely spoiled.......at that point you need to assume, a bear will be on it.......lets wait and see what smokepole has to say....he should be able to google...spoiled elk, and grizzly bear....and get back to us.....bob
The guide had to have known it was a 99.9% chance they would just find green meat.

My only thought here is the guide, knowing it was a wound shot and not a kill shot, was hoping they could find a weak, and alive, wounded bull, and finish him, and still have good meat to pack-out.

Originally Posted by lvmiker
Your "only thought" is a guess. Good work.

It was a well thought out theory, based on many years of hunting experience. A troll such as yourself would not recognize that.

I guess your friends are more correct than your mom and dad.
I am so happy you enjoyed reading my signature. You obviously barely survive on the left-side of the Bell Curve or you would have recognized the sarcasm.

Do you encounter a lot of bears in Texas?
Actually, I have encountered a bear, many years ago. He was 2-3 feet from my face. It happened at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, which happens to reside in the Republic of TEXAS.

Go smoke some weed with your fakepole boyfriend. You obviously are upset we outed him.

You are getting more amusing w/ every post.

Your "well thought out theory " in the absence of fact= a guess

Sarcasm was not recognized because the quality of your thinking substantiates the opinion of your friends.

If it was called Philmont when you supposedly went face to face w/ a bear tell us again which state it was in. The republic of texas no longer exists.

Smoking weed is not on my agenda but you seem to have an unseemly fascination w/ homoerotica that causes you to guess about many things, or is that another of your "well thought out theories based on many years of.........?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The hunter is not a teenager, I won't call him a man either, I'll stick with coward and would never share a camp with such a self centered clown

After this event, if the guy IS any sort of a man, he'd be high on my list for guys I'd want around me with a gun if I got jumped by a grizzly.

Watch the video, in his own words, "I ran away"

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Cinch

Take a look at what the stupid phugk who calls himself Quynhu is doing on the Go Fund Me page. And it's only been days the family's been grieving. Low life liberal scum.

Wish I could reach out and touch that sonofabitch.

It is only one on a very long list that needs to be dealt with. It's day will come.

His comments appear to have been removed.

Stupid liberal chkount will be right back in there again. His comments had been removed prior.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No blame game here. And I have not read all the pages. But an observation.......

There is a definite downside to sticking an arrow in an Elk in the afternoon. Bone soured in the morning......plus a grizzly buffet!

if the elk was shot in the afternoon, and gotten to the next day.....it was more than likely spoiled.......at that point you need to assume, a bear will be on it.......lets wait and see what smokepole has to say....he should be able to google...spoiled elk, and grizzly bear....and get back to us.....bob

Could have died overnight and the meat be fine...

They gotta go see regardless...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

People usually say the same when they are incapable of refuting the facts I post when debating liberals online. You are no different.

Your public education failed you.

“Well thought out Theory” based on “present known facts” = “How intelligent people operate”. You obviously fail in the intelligent department, like your failed public education you received.

Sarcasm was not recognized because the quality of your thinking substantiates the opinion of your friends.
Now see, here is a perfect example of what you spoke of above, “absence of fact”. You are completely incapable of “substantiating the opinion of my friends”, because you have not personally interviewed them and acquired facts through discovery.

Nice try. You fail, again, liberal.

If it was called Philmont when you supposedly went face to face w/ a bear tell us again which state it was in. The republic of texas no longer exists.
Again, your public education fails you.

Here, let me explain. It is very simple, even for an idiot liberal.

Republic of TEXAS is a sovereign nation.
You “can not” annex a sovereign nation by a joint resolution.
Republic of TEXAS was annexed by a joint resolution, which renders that null and void legally.
Sovereign nations must be annexed by treaty.
Therefore the Republic of TEXAS is still a sovereign nation based on solid law, dating back to black letter written English law.

Now, roll that and smoke it with fakepole pal.

Smoking weed is not on my agenda but you seem to have an unseemly fascination w/ homoerotica that causes you to guess about many things, or is that another of your "well thought out theories based on many years of.........?
It’s based on you and fakepole showing back up here “together”. Males who show up together and troll on a site generally are…you know.

mike r

Does signing your name at the end of your posts satisfy your narcissism?

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 09/18/18.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I'm sure the first thing I would do is throw the gun whilst said bear is chewing on my leg

. He didn't look to injured to me. I've been more scratched up giving my cat a pill.

laugh

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

The guide had to have known it was a 99.9% chance they would just find green meat.

No experience there, but I once let a cackler hang for a day and a half....best tasting goose I ever ate...I doubt a elk would spoil that quick.

it will spoil quick.....at a minimum, this time of year it needs to be gutted and propped up under the back, so air can circulate under it.....better yet quarter and hang......you have to be careful even in 2 feet of snow......bob

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by GregW

Greg, Elk are very bad about spoiling since they are so thick, and in mild temps, you have to get them open ASAP. The neck is the first to go with it being under the cape, and no avenue for the heat to escape.

You can leave one on the mountain overnight to retrieve the next day, but only after you field dress, wash blood out of the cavity and off the meat, situate the rear legs open to get air into the cavity, "and" the evening temps and into the next morning "have to be" cold enough to protect the meat from spoilage.

"He is far from Stupid"

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Elkslayer, Old man Polesmoker has nothing else in his sad and argumentative existence except picking fights over parsed words. I generally ignore his stupidity because anything he gets involved with devolves into his little piss ant mini rants. He is known to be a pain in the ass by many that’s why he has to lash out in his interactions here otherwise he’d be ignored completely. Like the old saying about little kids goes it’s also pertinent to grumpy elderly men....negative attention is better than no attention at all.

Old man smokepole needs to tighten the Velcro on his tenny runners with orthopedic insoles and get ready to flee from danger, it’s lurking around every corner of his 1 bedroom 1/2 bath apartment. 😁

And Im the grumpy one. As far as being old, I'm 60 and i guarantee i could run your punk ass into the ground.

Dude, did you score some killer weed, or what?

"He is far from Stupid"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jifmy
The hunter is not a teenager, I won't call him a man either, I'll stick with coward and would never share a camp with such a self centered clown

After this event, if the guy IS any sort of a man, he'd be high on my list for guys I'd want around me with a gun if I got jumped by a grizzly.

One minute it was a beautiful day on horseback in the mountains, next moment out of the blue sheer hell breaks out, thrown off his horse, friggin nightmare right in front of him. No weapon, two bears, I have never been in combat, but I have heard that more’n a few guys panic the first time under fire even when they were forewarned and expecting it , much fewer cut and run a second time.

Could be wrong.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by jifmy

One minute it was a beautiful day on horseback in the mountains, next moment out of the blue sheer hell breaks out, thrown off his horse, friggin nightmare right in front of him. No weapon, two bears, I have never been in combat, but I have heard that more’n a few guys panic the first time under fire even when they were forewarned and expecting it , much fewer cut and run a second time.

Could be wrong.

Good Christ

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

People usually say the same when they are incapable of refuting the facts I post when debating liberals online. You are no different.

Your public education failed you.

“Well thought out Theory” based on “present known facts” = “How intelligent people operate”. You obviously fail in the intelligent department, like your failed public education you received.

Now see, here is a perfect example of what you spoke of above, “absence of fact”. You are completely incapable of “substantiating the opinion of my friends”, because you have not personally interviewed them and acquired facts through discovery.

Nice try. You fail, again, liberal.

Again, your public education fails you.

Here, let me explain. It is very simple, even for an idiot liberal.

Republic of TEXAS is a sovereign nation.
You “can not” annex a sovereign nation by a joint resolution.
Republic of TEXAS was annexed by a joint resolution, which renders that null and void legally.
Sovereign nations must be annexed by treaty.
Therefore the Republic of TEXAS is still a sovereign nation based on solid law, dating back to black letter written English law.

Now, roll that and smoke it with fakepole pal.

It’s based on you and fakepole showing back up here “together”. Males who show up together and troll on a site generally are…you know.

mike r

Does signing your name at the end of your posts satisfy your narcissism?

You make your educators proud, when unable to compete immediately resort to countering w/ homo and liberal,
your debate skills are representative of those who think they live in a state that is a sovereign nation. I imagine you are their rep in the UN.

Tell us some more about....that one summer in scout camp.

mike r the narcissist

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

So bob, you want to know what I have to say about spoiled elk meat from an elk shot the evening before? Thanks for asking, that was mighty kind.

The first thing I'd say is that anyone who sticks a bull in the evening and doesn't find it before dark needs to either keep looking or pick up the trail and look for it first thing the next morning. I've done both. It's a legal requirement, and a felony in some states to fail to make a reasonable attempt to salvage the meat, even if you "think" it's spoiled or there "may be" a bear on it. Guides are typically familiar with regulations like that. And there's only one way to find out if the meat's spoiled.

The second thing I'd say is, you guys are a little off on your math to say there's 99.9% chance the meat is spoiled. Depends on the situation. I've only shot two elk in the evening and needed to come back in the morning to find them, how about you guys? Both of them were in archery season in Colorado, and the meat was good on both so I must be part of that mythical 0.01% group.

And to top it off, when we got to one of 'em at first light, a big old black bear had just gotten there before us, ain't that something?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only thing I got from the news cast is the client threw the gun and ran. The guide used spray and it didn’t work. Sounds like a cluster, and why I carry my own lead based spray. Don’t fugg around with grizz.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BayouRover
As for a personal weapon in bear country, a long barrel like a 7.5" one on a Super Blackhawk is not your best friend when things go bad. A much shorter barrel such as a 4 3/4" Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag or a 4" barreled Redhawk in 45 Colt will be a lot handier when things are quickly going sideways. You won't need a longer site radius at that point as it will probably be point and shoot range at best, and clearing a long barrel from a holster might not happen as quickly. Those words paraphrase what my guide told me in prepartation for the hunt.
That was your guide's standard speech for all clients, especially geared towards city slickers, who think they are gun savvy.

It does not apply to someone who has handled wheel guns their whole life, and is very proficient with them.

You yourself went on to state you pulled out your gun when the bear was still at a distance. What makes you think a 3.5 inch longer barrel would matter when you have pulled out the gun, when the bear is 30-50 yards away?

Apparently a couple of things that I said didn't deter you from jumping to your own conclusions. As for me being a city slicker at the time, I had never lived anywhere that had more than one Walmart at that point in my life. In addition, apparently the guide I used was a city slicker also as he carried a Smith 4" 629.

Unlike this scenario, we were in open country and we actually had several minutes to get our act together at the kill site as we saw the bear coming at a fast lope from maybe a half mile away. I did as the guide asked me to do while watching the bear approach while he scoured the area behind us. At about 100 yards he began shouting and waving his arms, one of which had a pump shotgun attached to it in his hand. He had ordered me to stand to his left at that time looking in the opposite direction of the bear in case there were bears on both sides of us. He told me in case he fired to turn to my left around him and to start opening up with my handgun.

Fortunately that was never needed as the bear turned tail at what the guide said was about 30 yards. Whether it was all handled according to the book, I'll never know. But at the time it worked. After the bear turned a 180, he handed me his shotgun and quickly began gutting the caribou. From that point on no more bears were seen and all went well from there.

Btw - I apologise.....I didn't realize that I was talking with Matt Dillon when I made the comments about short barreled handguns... my bad. It never came up in conversations, but I'm betting that my guide would have suggested that even Matt should leave his cavalry model 45 at home and to bring something with a shorter barrel. Maybe not....

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Elkslayer, Old man Polesmoker has nothing else in his sad and argumentative existence except picking fights over parsed words. I generally ignore his stupidity because anything he gets involved with devolves into his little piss ant mini rants. He is known to be a pain in the ass by many that’s why he has to lash out in his interactions here otherwise he’d be ignored completely. Like the old saying about little kids goes it’s also pertinent to grumpy elderly men....negative attention is better than no attention at all.

Old man smokepole needs to tighten the Velcro on his tenny runners with orthopedic insoles and get ready to flee from danger, it’s lurking around every corner of his 1 bedroom 1/2 bath apartment. 😁

LOL, you're the one calling a guy you've never met a coward, over a situation you have no first hand knowledge of.
Ok
And Im the grumpy one. As far as being old, I'm 60 and i guarantee i could run your punk ass into the ground.

And go ahead, cast your lot with old elkslayer there, a self-professed expert who got dogpiled for giving stupid advice and he's still feeling the sting.
Thank you for coming back. My "stupid advice' proved you are too stupid to be able to understand how to aim a gun at different distances when the directions were placed at your feet. That makes you a complete idiot.

I got "dogpiled" by your friends here, who clearly couldn't understand the same, a badge of honor I shall cherish for life.

"Everybody but me is stupid," LOL.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

No experience there, but I once let a cackler hang for a day and a half....best tasting goose I ever ate...I doubt a elk would spoil that quick.
This time of year in warm weather, you have to get them opened ASAP after a kill. You can't leave them overnight, especially one not field dressed.

More nonsense from an inexperienced elk hunter.ES 91 you have no clue when that bull died. Could have been within a few hours of the hunter and guide showing up.

Last edited by callnum; 09/18/18.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

If I hire a guide to take me elk hunting I expect my guide to get me on elk, not to protect me in every possible scenario......

Who said anything about the guide protecting the client in any possible scenario there ace? Sure as hell wasn't me.

Personally, I wouldn't be too hard on the client. It's not his responsibility to keep the guide safe, it's the other way around.
Yes, it sure the hell was you.

No fakepole. The guide is not hired to be a bodyguard during a bear attack. The client is responsible for his own defense in a bear attack, just like a customer is responsible for their own defense / protection during a robbery in a store.

If a guide accepts paying clients and hunts in an area with lots of grizzlies, he has a responsibility to understand how to operate in that environment and do what he can to keep his clients safe.
Typical liberal thought pattern here, it’s the guide’s responsibility to “help/protect” me, even when fakepole is knowingly inserting himself into a dangerous situation, grizzly country. 100% from the book of how a liberal thinks.

If that right there doesn’t show you people fakepole has no clue what he is talking about when hunting in the back country, you’re helpless.

And if they drop an elk and leave it overnight, the likelihood of having to deal with bears goes way up. So that situation is hardly "every possible scenario," it's something a guide should reasonably expect.
Again, let’s cop the liberal blame the guide. No fakepole, true back country hunters know in “any” country, not just grizzly country, you are putting your life in jeopardy once you hike in. The guide is not responsible for ”every possible scenario”, including and up to your life.

So a guide in that situation has some responsibility to manage what happens, unlike a guy from Florida who may not have ever seen a grizzly much less been drug off a horse by one.
More fakepole liberal thought here. The guide is hired to put you on the Elk and help extract the Elk, not protect you, the liberal, who wants others responsible for your safety, even in the back country.

I'm not blaming the guide either, as already noted by everyone with half a functioning brain cell, none of us knows what happened. Just making the observation that a client's responsibilities are much different than a guide's, in response to the previous poster who blamed the client for what happened.
When you, the liberal, state the guide is responsible for the client’s safety, as you just did more than once above, you “are” blaming the guide, Fakepole.

You are such an ignorant [bleep]. Nowhere did I blame the guide.
I see you're falling back to your standard liberal mode, keep telling the lie until it sticks. I even used your own words to prove it.

I love rubbing liberal's, such as you, noses in their own fecal matter online. It is so easy, and I'm damn good at it too.

Is that all you've got, calling me a "liberal?" That's damn funny. And no, you're not very good at it. If I could buy you for what you're worth, and sell you for what you think you're worth, I'd retire tomorrow and buy a place in the Bahamas.

Why don't you complain about how much I post again, that seemed to be one of your best points. And it looks like you put some effort into tracking down my posting habits, I'm flattered.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GregW

Greg, Elk are very bad about spoiling since they are so thick, and in mild temps, you have to get them open ASAP. The neck is the first to go with it being under the cape, and no avenue for the heat to escape.

You can leave one on the mountain overnight to retrieve the next day, but only after you field dress, wash blood out of the cavity and off the meat, situate the rear legs open to get air into the cavity, "and" the evening temps and into the next morning "have to be" cold enough to protect the meat from spoilage.

Lecturing a guide on care of big game meat, it don't get no better than this!!!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The worth of this thread is a damn good guide died, that can't be fixed, but I hope the hell no other guide accepts hunting with this POS!

Last edited by jimy; 09/18/18. Reason: fixing auto correct

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Page 17 of 40 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,551
Posts18,472,981
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.