-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
OK heres my answer, I like the 06, a 270 would do, but a .300 winchester mag or .338 win mag has ammo EVERY WHERE well all of those do. I personally choose a 8mm Rem Mag, but i have to reload or plan ahead as ammo isn't on many shelfs. So if you were to have one Id go .300 win or .338 win, a 06 if i didn't or couldn't handle recoil. With the bullets and powers offered today a 06 will do it but when facing a bear close the .300 and .338 if nothing else do make you feel less likely to be abused. Still shot placement is the difference.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I remember reading a magazine article posted by a renowned writer that was reading from a diary he found that was recording calibers used in a bear camp and the majority was .300 win mag. I have a good friend that was a bear guide on the Alaskan Peninsula that hunters were paying twenty thousand dollars to hunt. His opinion was the guys would buy rifles of big calibers that they'd never shot come to camp and be afraid of there gun, hed of rather they came with a 06 that they new how to shoot.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
For your stated purpose of hunting Alaska with a possible crossover to Africa, it's really hard to beat a good .30-06. The .270 and the 7mm Mag will also work, but 180 grain bullets from a .30-06 are a much better choice for big animals like kudu, moose, and eland.
http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/270-vs-30-06/

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

It’s always interesting in these “long-and-winding-road” threads to see the views from “here and there.”

If I were to back up and spend my serious hunting years in AK, it would be an easy choice for me at this point in time and having used a lot of cartridges, though certainly not all.

Without ‘splaining too many details, I love the .375, and would build (I’m a southpaw) an H&H at around 8.5lbs, scoped, slung, and loaded. I’d tap the receiver for 8x40’s, and epoxy those bases in for a low-range variable and seek to use the 250-gr TTSX or the 270-gr TSX. This set-up would answer all questions for me. I consider this old cartridge as The Mild Medium, good from near to far-enough.

Nothing against the 30/06 (I believe the overall most popular cartridge in AK) at all or any other person’s choice.

I follow your reasoning and think you're covering all bases. I'd favor the 250 TTSX, although the 270 TSX has an almost cult following in Africa.

If one is comfortable with such ordinance, can shoot it well, has practiced field condition shooting, what's not to like.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
to be honest if you become a decent handloader the 30-06 is all you would need with all the variety and grain sizes of bullets, spend the extra money on a nightforce scope and forget the takedown barrel thing.but get a 30-06 with a good 26 inch barrel and bed the plastic stock too.
I don't believe I've seen a 30-06 sporter with a 26" barrel (but I believe my 1917 Eddystone has a 26") nor do I believe I'd want to see one. Mine has a 24" on it and that's bad enough. The 30-06 I should've kept wore an 18.5".

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Then there's the 338-06.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mike74
to be honest if you become a decent handloader the 30-06 is all you would need with all the variety and grain sizes of bullets, spend the extra money on a nightforce scope and forget the takedown barrel thing.but get a 30-06 with a good 26 inch barrel and bed the plastic stock too.
I don't believe I've seen a 30-06 sporter with a 26" barrel (but I believe my 1917 Eddystone has a 26") nor do I believe I'd want to see one. Mine has a 24" on it and that's bad enough. The 30-06 I should've kept wore an 18.5".

A 26" barrel is just right, especially for a quick shot in thick alders.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
laugh

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Then there's the 338-06.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Please stop posting this stuff.
The .338/06 is hard enough to avoid and I already have a .30/06 that will shoot that well and a .338 Winchester that is not far behind it.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've read this entire thread with considerable interest; great experience showing up, grand first hand recommendations, edge of the seat stories of witnessed deeds, educated votes for the proper "dealer of death". Amazing really. And I've been impressed to the point of showing my appreciation. If any one of you Alaskanians wish to enjoy my company and gain an ever faithful confirmation source for your deeds of wonder, then I'm willing to accept an expense paid hunt with you, time and place of your choice. Magnanimous, certainly. But I wouldn't feel right about accepting anything more. Truths such as you each and every one harbor deserve to be experienced by those living in less fortunate circumstances. And I'm just the one to initiate that indoctrination.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Short stroking is operator error, not bolt design failure.....
I have never short stroked simply because I do not confuse muscle memory with different action lengths in my personal equipment.

sounds like a therapy class guide for those men having problems closing the deal in the marital bedroom.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Bugger
The name used Buckshot came from hunting deer in the thick woods so in the early days deer hunters loaded big shot in their shotgun "muzzle loader type at first" then when shotgun shells were perfected bigger lead shot was loaded and used on deer at close range when deer ran and it got the name buckshot,some states it is still legal to use yet also. The guys I worked with said when they were sent to Viet Nam the wing guys on patrol used a shotgun with buckshot ,was said Charlie" viet cong" did not like when that lead came their way.

Remington made flachettie (sp?) shells for 12 gauge shotguns in Vietnam. They looked like a shell filled with headless nails. with the pointy end facing Charlie.

Using an '06 makes a lot of sense. A hunter could be using it on coyotes, deer, elk, moose, antelope and so forth. Getting a lot of practice along the way. For me, partitions will always be my first choice for penetration and effectiveness. And as far as '06's go, if I added up all the game I've shot with different cartridges, the 06 would be at least 50%.

Sadly, we are a bit short on antelope here...

wink

Just saying that an '06 is good for most any game in NA, which includes longer range shooting - you could substitute goats for antelope if you want. I think that I used to shoot better with larger cartridges. (But maybe my memory is not so good?) But I've been doing a bit of off-hand practice and when the cartridge gets more than a 180 grain bullet in a 300 Win Mag, I have to concentrate a bit more to not pull a shot. Lately, I shoot about 40 rounds a day off-hand practice when the weather permits in preparation for hunting this fall. That practice is from a 223 to a couple of 375's. Shooting my light Remington 600 350 Mag with 250 grain bullets off hand takes a lot of concentration for me. I use the bench to test loads and to ensure the rifle is sighted in. But mostly, I shoot off-hand.

I wonder, a lot of answers that include stainless steel. I hunted with center-fires for over 50 years now, over 60 years if include rim-fires, which includes hunting in nasty (rainy, sleet, snow, and very cold) weather. I take care of my rifles. If it comes to having something to eat after a day's hunt or taking care of my rifle, the rifle comes first. I have never had an issue with rust, except with a post 63 classic Winchester when I ignored the bolt shroud - which I don't do anymore.

One thing I'll add to the comments, is using a rifle that the stock fits right. I had a 7mm RM that hurt more than my 416 Rigby due to poor fitting stock. Having a stock come up and slap face is a major problem. When pulling a rifle up to shoot, the eye should line up perfectly with the sights or scope - no stock is good for both. I had a hard kicking rifle that had the wrong scope, wrong stock etc. - the scope came back and drew blood around the eye brow. The rifle was re-stocked and the scope was replaced.

For me, I'd pick an '06 and a Nosler Partition. I have a 721 Remington with an aftermarket stock and a 700 take off barrel that I think would be about right. For many years it wore a Weaver steel body 4x scope. I'm not sure why I ever replaced it. But it now wears a VX2 2-7x scope. If I had to use one bullet for everything that Alaska has to offer, it would be a 200 grain partition.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Saw an interesting comment here recently about using a .30/06 and a pair of rangefinder binoculars. Sounds pretty savvy, I like the concept.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I feel like this thread can be answered with a group buy. Stainless Zastava Mausers in 9.3x62. Stainless for weather resistance. Mauser for utter reliability. 9.3x62 because it kills big stuff dead without kicking too hard.

And I'm gonna keep throwing this idea out in threads until I get enough people acting interested I can get some importation figured out from Canada for some of these. I am seriously in love with the idea of a stainless Mauser.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My go-to rifles have and always will be the ole 9.3 and the 358 Winchester, but at my cabin, I keep a 30-06 as a loaner. It's an old sporterized k98 mauser that holds 5 down. I also use it because I don't like flying with guns. It really likes that federal 220 grain blue box with the speer hot-cor. In observing the primers, they're a bit flatter than the primers of the Remington 220 grain ammo. A bit more recoil and definitely a full power cartridge.

That'd be my choice for the ole ought six.......220 grain federal blue box. $29 a box.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I have lived in Alaska since 2011, and have carried anything from a 270WSM to a 300WM for moose, caribou, and bear. I mostly carry the .300 if bear is involved, but lately started carrying my .30-06 when just after blackies. My son carries only the .270 Win or my .308. Next year, I plan on chasing a caribou with a .260Rem. Know the gun and how to handle it, and you'll be fine.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
I feel like this thread can be answered with a group buy. Stainless Zastava Mausers in 9.3x62. Stainless for weather resistance. Mauser for utter reliability. 9.3x62 because it kills big stuff dead without kicking too hard.

And I'm gonna keep throwing this idea out in threads until I get enough people acting interested I can get some importation figured out from Canada for some of these. I am seriously in love with the idea of a stainless Mauser.

Not a bad idea if you reload.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I figured a lot of folks would go for the Savage and the Mossbergs in .375 Ruger myself. Relatively inexpensive, throwaway type of rifle. But, can't argue with a good 30.06....

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Look at the Remington custom shop's AWR and the North American series rifles. The North American comes with a blue printed action from their custom shop. A place to start anyway. Good luck with your search.

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,441
Posts18,470,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.