Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

Three things you don't ask a Texan:

1 - How many sections he owns.
2 - How many Head he's running.
3 - How many lever guns he owns.

You forgot #4: "What's 2+2?"
I doubt he's a Texan.

He do seem a bit too modest.

I'm thinking that her, or her boy friend saw an elk once on a high school field trip, and then Googled the rest.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91but didn't find right away
Never said I hunt a high fence, and never would either. All low fence back country pal. Maybe if you hadn't wasted your life away on the internet harrassing people, you could afford to hunt a quality area.
[/quote

"Low fence backcountry" that's hilarious, keep 'em coming!! "Backcountry" is not fenced. At least where I hunt. It ain't private land either. And as far as all your sanctimonious bullsh** about never making a bad shot, you just haven't hunted enough, it'll happen.

And just to put some facts in front of you so you can stop with your sanctimonious bullsh**, neither one of the two elk I killed suffered inordinately, I just couldn't find them in the dark and had to come back in the morning. One was a cow I shot with a muzzleloader, perfect placement on a 60 yard standing broadside shot. The bullet double-lunged her and was expanded to the size of a quarter, just under the off-side hide. She made it lesss than 200 yards and died out in the open on a night that got down near 20 degrees. The reason I couldn't find her was, she took off running the way she was facing, got into a grove of spruce where I couldn't see her, and turned 180 degrees and ran the other direction before she piled up. She left one drop of blood the size of a quarter, right where she was standing when I shot. I spent a few hours looking in the wrong direction, searching by headlamp.

We found her at first light and I was pissed, I thought I'd lost the meat because like you, I'd never done what we're talking about here, that is, recovered an animal after it layed overnight. Like you, I believed the stuff I'd always heard and read in Field and Stream.

Now I know better. One day you will. Possibly.

The other was a bull. Fatal shot, 30 yards broadside. He trotted 60 yards and layed down under a tree. I stood there watching him for 15 minutes, and he watched me, too sick to run off. Finally his head flopped over and layed on the ground. It was my first bow kill and I was excited and wanted to put my hands on him. So I didn't wait long enough before I walked up to him. If I had, I'd have recovered him right there, 60 yards from the shot. But he got up and trotted into the thick oak brush. By that time it was dark and my only move was to back out and come back in the morning.

We found him at first light, he'd made it another hundred yards.

And the meat was still good.

Other than that, it's beyond me how a person with as little experience and knowledge as you becomes such a sanctimonious prick in such a short time on this earth.

Good to know this. Thanks.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Do any of you realize how childish this thread has become?

STOP DIGGING!

Yep, probably time for Rick to cull the herd by one.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep folks are getting trolled to epic proportions here. 🤣

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anyone who would troll on this particular thread needs a good ass whipping.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

For those of you with a functioning brain, smokepole starting trolling people on page 4 of this thread. The quote below is where he started. Just click the link to go to the quote, and scroll forward from there, and you’ll see how mentally sick this guy is when he sits here and talks about trolling, when he is the one who started the trolling.

Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
.......the fact remains that at one time, the hunter/client had a handgun and ended up throwing it towards somebody that was probably already incapable of using it...

Listen to what you're saying. You start out with "the fact remains" and you end up with "probably incapable of using it."

You have no idea whether the guide was incapable of using it, hell, he may have even asked the hunter to toss it to him. Shooting a bear while it's on top of a guy would seem to be a dicey proposition, have you ever done it?

The fact remains, you weren't there and you're guessing.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...hunter-mauled-guide-missing#Post13134338

You’ll see later into his trolling he was called to the carpet on it.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Here is the link to the story of the official account of the attack , if it will link : https://trib.com/lifestyles/recreat...5913d2a-4889-5fa9-89d8-e44562b06717.html

Temps in that part of the state have been pretty consistently down into the 20's at night in the mountains. The meat should have been ok unless gut shot. I wonder if he shot it too close to dark and therefore they had to give up the search due to darkness. That guide wouldn't have taken a hunter looking for an elk in grizz country after dark. He would have gone back early morning to look.
We got to know Jon Stephens, GW and one official in on the sow take, 3 years ago on a bison hunt in Jackson. He and the husband have mutual friends and acquaintances in G&F.He's a stand up guy. He made sure we had bear spray for both the husband's hunt and mine the next year. He also recommended a large caliber handgun as backup, if competent with it, for the non hunting companion(spouse).

Hunting the bears may or may not help with the attack situation but at least some aggressive bears would have been targeted to get out of the population. G&F was more than willing to be involved in helping grizzly hunters locate older non breeding boars and problem bears.
We have many friends who hunt the outer edge of the grizzly range, they always have more than a couple of folks along for a pack out or field dressing. They hunt close enough together that when a shot is heard they can check in and be available for lookout services. Maybe a little paranoid, but they have been safe while having had minor bear encounters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by mudhen
I have killed elk from Idaho to southern New Mexico, and in most of the states in between. I had to leave a couple of them in the field overnight, but I was able to field dress both and leave a jacket covering most of the exposed heart/lung area. Both were perfectly fine the next morning and there was no meat lost.

Conditions vary from time to time and place to place, so hard and fast rules don't always apply. What happened with that elk that you harvested in the Gros Ventres may not be what will happen with the one that you shoot in the Gila a month or six weeks later.

I think a lot of scavengers and predators could remove a jacket.

It kept the Ravens, the Steller's Jays and Magpies off--all of which can indeed ruin a significant amount of meat, especially in hindquarters.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

.......the fact remains that at one time, the hunter/client had a handgun and ended up throwing it towards somebody that was probably already incapable of using it...

Listen to what you're saying. You start out with "the fact remains" and you end up with "probably incapable of using it."

You have no idea whether the guide was incapable of using it, hell, he may have even asked the hunter to toss it to him. Shooting a bear while it's on top of a guy would seem to be a dicey proposition, have you ever done it?

The fact remains, you weren't there and you're guessing.

Guide is dead.....client ran for help....figure it out.

No, you figure it out, and make sure to give everyone your opinion on what happened and why. I don't play that game, not having been in that situation myself.

How about you, how many times have you been attacked by a grizzly bear? How did you handle it?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...hunter-mauled-guide-missing#Post13134364

The above is his very next post where he starts getting all wound up…..it gets worse…go read all of it.

"He is far from Stupid"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, I'd invite anyone to read my posts, and then read yours.

I'd come off looking like Dale Carnegie.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
And slayerdude would be Don Knotts

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Page 11, smokepole gets called to the carpet for his trolling.

Here is where a long time member here, AcesNeights, hands smokepole his backside on a silver platter while pointing out his arguing with everyone and everywhere on this forum.

Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
IThat client sounds like a coward of the first order. Having been tested more than a few times I know that.....

You don't know squat. Unless you've been dragged off a horse by your ankle.

Is that how you were "tested more than a few times?"

I’ll trust what I know over your guessing.

You can use partial quotes and take statements out of context all you want (typical liberal reaction) but it makes you look stupid. You have become more and more argumentative for no good reason, not just this thread but many of the ones you insert yourself in. I don’t know if loneliness and old age is your excuse but either way you just come across as a washed up old crank that gets off on picking internet arguments because you lack excitement in your elderly life. Keep on keeping on champ....you’re always good for a laugh at your own expense.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...hunter-mauled-guide-missing#Post13139320

"He is far from Stupid"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC -

That being hunting in griz country and what can happen and what you might do in that situation.

I like how the game and fish personnel when going in to the site to investigate responded to a charge. Not a one of them used bear spray. I think 4 of the 5 were armed and all 4 of those opened fire and killed the sow.

Now, if bear spray is so damn effective. You would think 4 people each with their can of bear spray, could get that bear to stop wouldn't you???

But, what they did in fact was, as their first choice, to use lethal force. This is further convincing me that spray is not the way to go.

Montana MOFO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hayzeus kristos,

this is still going on? I left it a few pages back last night and was amazed at the poopshow it had become.

FG, someone else a few post backs called it,

we need some T&A

Geno

PS wytex, not meant to be a disservice to our distaff members wink Just thought it might serve to get this one shut down.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tarkio
BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC -

That being hunting in griz country and what can happen and what you might do in that situation.

I like how the game and fish personnel when going in to the site to investigate responded to a charge. Not a one of them used bear spray. I think 4 of the 5 were armed and all 4 of those opened fire and killed the sow.

Now, if bear spray is so damn effective. You would think 4 people each with their can of bear spray, could get that bear to stop wouldn't you???

But, what they did in fact was, as their first choice, to use lethal force. This is further convincing me that spray is not the way to go.

Tarkio,

I'm willing to bet they determined that bear was going to die that day before going in there. No need for deterrent spray when the final option is necessary.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Below is the link to my posting thanking AcesNeights for pointing out what I already knew, and also at the bottom of my posting, you’ll see where I stated in my post that I knew by me thanking him, it would bring smokepole’s fan-boys to this thread to troll me.

And as you all can see, those of you with a functioning brain, they came and trashed this thread after AcesNeights called smokepole to the carpet.

All I have done here is point out their lies when they trolled me, which I have every right to do.

That is not trolling.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...hunter-mauled-guide-missing#Post13139485

"He is far from Stupid"

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
we need some T&A

Tits and azz?

Fück Joe byron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
we need some T&A

Tits and azz?

Plenty of azz shown in this thread already.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
At this point, who gives a rats ass?

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We can assume bear spray while under attack will only add flavor and ability for biologists and state shooters to pin the murder on the right bear.

Rifle, shotgun with proper slugs, large caliber pistol or wheel gun with hard cast bullets seems about the best option.

But, like Shrapnel said waaaay back in this thread; it’s still no guarantee when you got a determined, pissed off, massive animal that is covering ground to you in a blink of an eye, cuz you’re on the menu for “Special of the Day” 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 29 of 40 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 39 40

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

409 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 42 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,218
Posts18,504,079
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.