Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
There should be no charges filed in this one, the badass who got owned by pappy and jr threatened both of them with their lives multiple times and then went and got a baseball bat and attempted to alleviate pappy, then he protected himself from the threat and dispensed this badass mofo down to a pile of ruble. I’d say both walk free in self defense.

That's how I saw it.

I am no legal expert but I have seen it stated more than once that someone can not start the confrontation and then claim self defense/stand your ground.
Did they go into the alley to confront dead Ed and that is being considered as they started it?
Is this the DA's take on this situation?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
GB1

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No grown ups involved so a man dies for no reason. Armed individuals should have walked back onto their property. That would have helped their case, I think.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They will probably walk, IMO.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This happened in my home town. The neighbors had never met and this was there first confrontation. The guy who was killed was not armed when they shot him. The dead guys wife threw the baseball bat at the father son team that was armed. So the bat was already out of the picture. So since the guy was no longer armed, personally, I don’t think the shooters were justified. All of them were too damn stupid to just walk a way, IMO. I’m not killing my neighbor over a damn mattress. Both shooters are out on $25K bond. It will go before the grand jury soon, so we will see if they are indicted or no billed. I didn’t know any of the party’s involved, but I do know several of the investigating officers. Local rumors are that our Chief of Police is pushing the DA for prosecution.

Like I said, stupidity by all parties involved imo. .

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Batchief909
Did we somehow lose concept that this was over a mattress in a dumpster??

Doesn't matter. All that matters is they had a right to be there, i.e., they weren't trespassing, and that they were attacked by someone presenting a deadly and imminent threat. If someone pulled a knife on me because he thought I cheated at Poker, would you say that it's only a $6.00 pot, so I had no right to draw my gun and dispatch the attacker?

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Calvin

Not far, nor fast.......:)

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Paul_M
There should be no charges filed in this one, the badass who got owned by pappy and jr threatened both of them with their lives multiple times and then went and got a baseball bat and attempted to alleviate pappy, then he protected himself from the threat and dispensed this badass mofo down to a pile of ruble. I’d say both walk free in self defense.

That's how I saw it.

I am no legal expert but I have seen it stated more than once that someone can not start the confrontation and then claim self defense/stand your ground.
Did they go into the alley to confront dead Ed and that is being considered as they started it?

You've got the law wrong. You cannot criminally assault someone (e.g., wrongfully shove them), and then claim self defense if the other guy responds with return force. The principle is that you need clean hands, i.e., you had not been behaving criminally just prior to the attack on you.

Best you can get if you criminally shove someone, and they draw a knife on you, is what's called imperfect self defense, which reduces murder to manslaughter, but these two men weren't behaving criminally when Ed attacked with his baseball bat (or, even if he had no weapon when he attacked), so they get the full right of lethal force self-defense (a punch from a fit adult man is potentially lethal, and you are not obliged to absorb one).

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
That video reminds me of Abilene.

You’ve been here ? Were you stationed at Dyess AFB ?

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/21/18.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Paul_M

That's how I saw it.

You've got the law wrong. You cannot criminally assault someone (e.g., wrongfully shove them), and then claim self defense if the other guy responds with return force. The principle is that you need clean hands, i.e., you had not been behaving criminally just prior to the attack on you.

Best you can get if you criminally shove someone, and they draw a knife on you, is what's called imperfect self defense, which reduces murder to manslaughter, but these two men weren't behaving criminally when Ed attacked with his baseball bat, so they get the full right of lethal force self-defense.

I am not saying that is how I see it. I am asking if that is how the DA is trying to frame it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
This happened in my home town. The neighbors had never met and this was there first confrontation. The guy who was killed was not armed when they shot him. The dead guys wife threw the baseball bat at the father son team that was armed. So the bat was already out of the picture. So since the guy was no longer armed, personally, I don’t think the shooters were justified. All of them were too damn stupid to just walk a way, IMO. I’m not killing my neighbor over a damn mattress. Both shooters are out on $25K bond. It will go before the grand jury soon, so we will see if they are indicted or no billed. I didn’t know any of the party’s involved, but I do know several of the investigating officers. Local rumors are that our Chief of Police is pushing the DA for prosecution.

Like I said, stupidity by all parties involved imo. .

You are not obliged to absorb any significant physical attack. Punches can also be deadly. Don't throw a punch at someone unless in self-defense, because an armed person can justifiably shoot you if they didn't in any way agree to a fist fight prior to your throwing a punch.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jimy
Originally Posted by Calvin

Not far, nor fast.......:)

OMG, winner.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Last week I took my front end loader and heaved a freezer into the dumpster at a new construction custom home 1/4 mile up the road.

I didn't get shot, this afternoon I'm gonna unload some truck tars in that mofo. The pot heads siding the house usually knock off bout 2pm. Should be good. Yall pray for me. 😄

Be glad when they empty it. I need to get rid of a 24ft pool and a chicken coop. laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
TRH is right in that you can’t be the aggressor, or committed assault, then claim self defense. Like I said, plenty of stupidity by all party’s involved. Over a damn mattress in the trash in the alley. Just plain stupid.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/21/18.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It’s not “over a mattress “ . It’s over orange shirt repeatedly threatening to kill the old man and then trying to do so. Did you see the old man staggering to his left holding his head ? Maybe the old man took his weapon with him to the dumpster because he thought he might need it to defend himself from his violent insane neighbor ? I didn’t see the old man advance once. I did see him stand his ground and defend himself and I did see his son defend his father from an attacker. Ed was stupid , violent , and insane. Ed’s dead just as he should be.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm just wondering what the shotgun was loaded with? Buck, bird or slug

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
I'm just wondering what the shotgun was loaded with? Buck, bird or slug

Most likely buck. Just an educated guess, though, since it wasn't a sporting gun, and its design doesn't lend itself to careful aiming of slugs.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The really sad part is dead Ed's wife is still alive, with the possibility of continued breeding, she needs nutted, and soon.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimy
The really sad part is dead Ed's wife is still alive, with the possibility of continued breeding, she needs nutted, and soon.

And the civil suit she is going to file even if the other two hillbillies are cleared.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two lessons, first, in jest: Now we know why you don't rip the tag off of a mattress.

Second, in all seriousness, this is exactly why I tell those I teach, even if you have the ability, it doesn't mean you need to use it. Walk away. Walking away from an encounter like this takes a bigger man than it does to stand there until someone gets killed, unnecessarily.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd say Ed's Anger Management classes didn't take.

LOL
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 18,704 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,859
Posts18,537,673
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
1 hour ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.