Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bcraig: Thank you and you are a good man for taking such care with your mother.
I did have my mothers home wired for the Brinks alarm system as well and she enjoyed that "protection" as well as the "security" of her pistol.
My mothers neighborhood became over-run with drug addled welfare scum, Russians of ill character, many un-documented Mexicans and up all night drugging sleep all day no job black folks!
I am surprised her home sold as quickly as it did once she passed on.
Worrisome her situation was to me - constantly.
Best of luck with protecting your mom and thanks again for the kind words.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RickyD
If you want a semi-auto you need to take her to the shop to see if she can run the slide. What is easy for a guy may be impossible for an 80 year old lady.

Yep. Another reason to stick with a revolver. Unless you just want to set it up for her so she can grab a fully loaded gun ready to go, and periodically take her to the range and work the slide for her. That can work, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Craig, I would suggest a Kahr, all steel, 9mm. They come in multiple sizes from sub compact up to full size and a couple in between. The all steel allows for better recoil management. They have an excellent DAO trigger and no safety.

I thought about that, too, but he said it had to have at least a 10 round mag capacity.

Forgot about that part. Ya, I think the T9 is only an 8+1.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Get her an extra 38, simplicity and familiarity is king, my Mom is 75 and complained awhile back the near +p 125 gr gold dots I had loaded her several years earlier were getting uncomfortable, I ordered some 148 gr wadcutters and loaded them to around 850 fps, I guess that will cut a hole, she likes, and shoots them in complete comfort for now.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I gave my mom a S&W M64 3" round butt .38 loaded with Buffalo Bore 150 gr. hardcast wadcutters at 850 fps. It's a home defense gun, it's simple, she likes it. Beats heck out of a can of pepper spray.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MOGC
I gave my mom a S&W M64 3" round butt .38 loaded with Buffalo Bore 150 gr. hardcast wadcutters at 850 fps. It's a home defense gun, it's simple, she likes it. Beats heck out of a can of pepper spray.

LOL, damn right, that will work, I got Mom a little nickel Colt Cobra 30 years ago, cant remember if it's a 2.5 or 3" barrel, she likes it too.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC

Perfect. About like what I gave my mom, i.e., a Ruger Speed Six snubby, round butt, with .38 Specials. It gave her great comfort for a couple of decades. When she got too frail in her 80s to pull the trigger, I swapped it for a Walther PPQ. She didn't need to know how it works, or be able to rack the slide. All she needed to know was how to point it and pull the trigger.

My dad hates guns, so when mom passed away, he asked me to take the Walther. He prefers to be helpless. Confusing. I talked him into having a can of mace in the house, which I then went out and bought for him. Better than nothing, but I bet he does't even know where he put it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Maybe another revolver for her kitchen or living room.

If you can teach her, add a 20 ga. shotgun to her self defense arsenal.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
What about that Grendel P-30. 22WMR x 30 rounds onboard. Is that pistol reliable enough?

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
What about that Grendel P-30. 22WMR x 30 rounds onboard. Is that pistol reliable enough?

Well lets see,
I am interested in a double action only, 380 or 9mm that is reliable, with no safety and ten round or better mag capacity
Best I can tell the Grendel is a single action only, in 22wmr ,that is known to be unreliable,with a safety and a 30 round mag

You have managed to miss every criteria I am looking for with the exception of mag capacity !

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 3 pages of responses over a 1+ week period, has anyone been able to come up with a pistol that meets your rather specific stated criteria?

In terms of technical criteria, you could look for discontinued D model (DAO) Berettas such as the 92D or Cougar (8000D or 8000D Mini-Cougar), some discontinued S&W DAO guns,and Sig DAK models, but they all are going to be some big chunks of gun that may or may not work for racking, and you are going to have to hunt for the guns and spare magazines. ETA: Those all are going to be 9mm, not .380.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 10/18/18. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I shot a Sig 365 recently and was impressed. It's small but holds 12 rounds of 9mm and the trigger was very manageable. You might check one out.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by bcraig

Well lets see,
I am interested in a double action only, 380 or 9mm that is reliable, with no safety and ten round or better mag capacity
Best I can tell the Grendel is a single action only, in 22wmr ,that is known to be unreliable,with a safety and a 30 round mag

You have managed to miss every criteria I am looking for with the exception of mag capacity !

The obvious answer is easy then. Get a Glock 19 or similar, and get on with it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
I shot a Sig 365 recently and was impressed. It's small but holds 12 rounds of 9mm and the trigger was very manageable. You might check one out.

Sounds great, but considering its record, I'd wait another year.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The obvious answer is easy then. Get a Glock 19 or similar, and get on with it.

That was my suggestion, except I suggested getting it with the New York trigger, which is ten pounds. Still plenty light vs a typical double action revolver, but with enough weight on it to make accidental discharge less likely. Also, proven reliability and ruggedness vs the Sig P365.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Also, on the Sig P365, many are noticing, even on the newest rendition of it, abnormally extreme wear patterns on early round counts, e.g., less than a thousand. The wear on the slide hood and barrel locking block at a thousand rounds looks more like what you'd expect to see for ten times that round count.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
i believe I am going to buy a Kel-Tec P11

That should come close to mimicking the revolvers trigger pull,size and weight.

I have had both the single stack and the double stack throughout the years and although I did not put over a couple of hundred rounds through each one of them I had no problems with either one of them.

I will buy it then put a few hundred through it to make sure it functions reliably and if so I will give it to her ,if not I will just keep it and tinker with it till I get it right.

Now just need to find the cheapest place to order one from.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have had both the single stack and the double stack throughout the years and although I did not put over a couple of hundred rounds through each one of them I had no problems with either one of them.

I will buy it then put a few hundred through it to make sure it functions reliably and if so I will give it to her ,if not I will just keep it and tinker with it till I get it right.

Laughing!......only on the Fire.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

No comment.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,509
Posts18,472,370
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.