-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s very fast and easy to set up the single shot trust with Silencer Shop. It’s a single can trust with one person as owner. Can do as many of those as you want, and can amend the trust to add trustees after you receive the tax stamp. IIRC it was like $25.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My 16 year old son shot a cow elk at a little over 500 yards this afternoon, with a suppressed .260 Rem. The cow dropped at the shot, and never twitched.... the rest of the 200+ elk didn’t do much at all... until we stood up and started walking down there. Big game animals KNOW what a rifle shot is... typically they have no clue what a suppressed rifle shot is.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
This thread perked my interest to do a little googling. Are guys really paying $1,000 for suppressors?

Yes. That'll get you a pretty good suppressor, but you could pay even more if you want. It's not that hard to believe, people pay more than that for scopes, rifles, and other gun stuff all the time.

Yikes, definitely an eye opener, I had never even looked at what suppressors cost. Rifle and scope cost I understand, kind of need those to shoot the riflle of course, but had no idea guys were paying that much for the cans.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Suppressors are WAY cheaper than hearing aids.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another "vote" for the Single Shot Trust, and Silencer Shop. I went this route for my last "can" - a rimfire version for a Ruger .22 semi-auto pistol, and will be using this method for a .45 "can" in the near future.

Mike Holmes

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Plugs and muffs are cheaper than both!...grin

I can see their benefit in certain circumstances , I just can’t believe that they cost that much. I figured $300-$400 for something like that , not a grand.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You can get suppressors that cost that....but they arent worth it. Its a lifetime investment, the cost is easily justified with use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread perked my interest to do a little googling. Are guys really paying $1,000 for suppressors?

Remember, these things are built to last forever.

Nobody wants to go through all the hassle and spend $200 tax on a disposable item.

If we could ever get rid of the tax & paperwork, you'd see silencers priced like lawn mower mufflers.

Politics is War by Other Means
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Plugs and muffs are cheaper than both!...grin

I can see their benefit in certain circumstances , I just can’t believe that they cost that much. I figured $300-$400 for something like that , not a grand.

$300-$400 is a good price range for a high quality .22 LR suppressor. It's a little on the low end of the range for a decent 9mm suppressor, most of those are another hundred or two more. Quality centerfire rifle suppressor prices go up from there.

Suppressors may look and seem simple from the outside, but a good suppressor has a lot of intricate machining inside that has to be held to very tight tolerances. That drives most of the cost, although material cost is significant too. I've spent as much as $200-$250 just on materials (mostly titanium) to machine my own; that doesn't include any machining time or other costs for coatings and engraving.

While there are/were some companies building very cheap suppressors, those companies typically don't do well and don't last, because nobody likes the end result of a cheaply built suppressor. Once you buy a cheap one and decide you don't like it, you're stuck with it too, since another tax stamp (or two) is required to sell it which means a cheap can has virtually no value on the used market.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well there won’t be any heading my way anytime soon, not my thing for that much money. I remember meeting a guy in Texas that worked in a CNC machine shop that was making these things for himself and he said that all the cost in them is tied up in the stamp, if it didn’t exist there would be tons of the things available for cheap. I just never even inquired what they actually cost.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a rimfire Can -NO TRUST- what happens to the Can if I unexpectedly 'kick the bucket' ?

Can I Will the Can to my nephews/neices who will be getting my guns ? Then whoever wants it gets approved - pays $200 gov't rip-off charge - Can is theirs ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
DF,

My bud has the Thunderbeast Titanium and uses it on all his rifles. He shot his 270 Weatherby mag Ruger number 1 with that can and it was impressive on noise level reduction but what really impressed me was that the rifle didn’t feel muzzle heavy with that can on! I was sold on it right away.

MAGA! This is the way!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I have a rimfire Can -NO TRUST- what happens to the Can if I unexpectedly 'kick the bucket' ?

Can I Will the Can to my nephews/neices who will be getting my guns ? Then whoever wants it gets approved - pays $200 gov't rip-off charge - Can is theirs ?

My FFL talked me out of a trust because the stamp gets one free ownership transfer up on your death to the person you will it to.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
For the OP The best deal in rifle suppressors these days is the Yankee Hill Machine Resonator. They can be had for sub $400. They are QD mounted if that is what you want. The consensus seems to be direct thread here. The Resonator gets good reviews but I’m only 5 months into my wait so I cannot give you first hand information.

Good luck buying just one! I’m already planning #2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks I'll read my paperwork again .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,200
Posts18,503,675
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.