Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Originally Posted by buffybr
If everything goes right, your 6.5 CM will kill an elk, but the same thing can be said for the .460 Weatherby.

I've killed elk and seen elk killed with smaller cartridges. I will continue to use my .300 Weatherby or 7 mm RM for my elk.

If everything goes right, your 6.5 CM will kill an elk, but the same thing can be said for the .460 Weatherby.

I've killed elk and seen elk killed with smaller cartridges. I will continue to use my .300 Weatherby or 7 mm RM for my elk.

I have also used lesser rounds on elk, under ideal conditions. Nowadays, as I get older, and opportunities become fewer for me, my .300 Wby. will get the nod. Elk shot well with the big .300 eliminate tracking jobs.

Elk shot well with 6.5mm Creedmoor don't require any more tracking.

Just Sayin and guess which round is easier to shoot well. wink

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by Bighorn

I have also used lesser rounds on elk, under ideal conditions. Nowadays, as I get older, and opportunities become fewer for me, my .300 Wby. will get the nod. Elk shot well with the big .300 eliminate tracking jobs.

Elk shot well with 6.5mm Creedmoor don't require any more tracking.

Just Sayin and guess which round is easier to shoot well. wink

John, What is ur preferred elk bullet and how has it performed? Pass throughs?

Thanks Roy

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

14B in the talkeetnas or 20A? If that's is a 14B caribou dandy bull for sure.. if it's a20A bull great job getting a good bull, those damn things think they are sheep half the time.. [/quote]

Yes 14B - sure was a lot of searching in all those square miles to find the critters. I am happy as a beginner. Hope to go back again someday - if the "draw odds" work for me. The meat is tender and mild too!

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/29/18.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good shooting goes a long ways. I really like my 6.5CM but it's not a mag pushing a big, heavy bullet. Know you gun and shoot well and success will be yours. Seen many elk that were taken with the 260 and 7-08 and see no reason why the 6.5 would not work as well.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Back to the marketing aspect for a moment. If you buy gun magazines you know there is going to be a high level of marketing to push products. If you are open to something new, it won't take a lot of convincing for the "pitch" to work. But if you start from a position of skepticism, the sales pitch is going to work a lot harder to get you to buy.
A lot of us are gun loonies of various intensities. So we are more inclined to try something new in our area of interest. And within our "group", there are subsets of some more willing to buy than others. Some are spontaneous while others are more calculating. The Classifieds bear this out with the number of gadgets and gear that is posted daily.
How many times do you read someone saying "going in another direction", or "clearing out the safe", "bought it here but never shot it". These are who marketers need to sell inventory. It is all good and the bedrock of capitalism.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You will find the 6.5 Creedmoor Happy Hunting Grounds at the end of the Yellow Brick Road. You will find Unicorns & Magic Dragons aplenty. Your magic rifle will kill them with ease as you bask in the rainbow glow emitted from the bullet flight path. They may simply drop dead by just pointing the gun in their direction.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RTSJ

John, What is ur preferred elk bullet and how has it performed? Pass throughs?

Thanks Roy

Berger 130gr VLD and 130gr AR Hybrid.

Pass through on ribs and usually if just one shoulder is hit.

Both shoulders typically stop them.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by keith
Some broke dicks could not even pack out the meat you will bone of a bull's neck, must less both of the back straps. The same broke dicks will probably bring a leatherman on their belt to help butcher what they shoot! Hind quarters are 200 lbs plus.

Where did you read that rear quarters are 200# each?

ive had a couple feel that way when I got back to the pickup

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Brad
Here's what Finn Aagaard had to say about the penetration of the 6.5x55 vs the 30-06 in his excellent Hunting Rifles & Cartridges.

In the test, the 140's from the 6.5x55 were loaded at 2,700 fps. Right where the 6.5 Creedmoor lives.

Finn doesn't list the 30-06/180 speed, but based on his extensive writing about that round, I think it's safe to assume 2,750 fps +/-

[Linked Image]

What's amazing about that article is, a gunwriter actually admitted they were wrong. Excluding our own JB, most today do not.

Camp is where you make it.
300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jeff killed a very nice 5x5 with the 7 Mag....the Creedmoor stayed home!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 01/03/19.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Jeff killed a very nice 5x5 with the 7 Mag....the Creedmoor stayed home!!

Ha!!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
where are the pics and story?

Forgive My Sins Jesus, Save My Soul
300MAG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DanBrothers
where are the pics and story?

Don't know how the hell to post pictures on here anymore since the photobucket deal!!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Open an Imgur account. It's easy and free.

Upload from you Pictures to Images. Clickk on an image and it'll enlarge. You are given several options to copy and paste. Select the next to last one for this forum.

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Brad
Here's what Finn Aagaard had to say about the penetration of the 6.5x55 vs the 30-06 in his excellent Hunting Rifles & Cartridges.

In the test, the 140's from the 6.5x55 were loaded at 2,700 fps. Right where the 6.5 Creedmoor lives.

Finn doesn't list the 30-06/180 speed, but based on his extensive writing about that round, I think it's safe to assume 2,750 fps +/-

[Linked Image]

What's amazing about that article is, a gunwriter actually admitted they were wrong. Excluding our own JB, most today do not.

And that is one of the many reasons I miss Finn Aagards writings so much. He told it how he saw it and didn't try to put a spin on it or try to pretty it up too much.
He was a great hunter and writer.
Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was going to post a couple of photos from my recent cow hunt. But photobucket won't work tonite. Just reporting that I put the sneak on a group of elk and picked out a fat cow at 135 yards. As an aside I have to say snow camo and crab crawling got me nice and close. Anyway, I nestled into the side of a sagebrush plant and line up for a double lung angle.
At the shot, she dropped, slowly rolled over and slide down the hill until some brush caught her. No bullet recovery unfortunately and I slid her down the hill about 300 yards further to the awaiting truck. Shortest elk hunt at less than an hour. Makes up for the long hunts.

**I should also report that the magazine release on the Tikka T3x froze and I couldn't release the mag to remove the rounds. I am sure that happened in the "sneaking phase" of the stalk as the snow depth was well over a foot. So just be aware of that possibility. I removed the rounds with the bolt instead. **

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/05/19.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
and picked out a fat cow

Was she 'nice' ? If she wasn't, you are the first guy ever, to not pick a "nice, fat cow". I always wondered how guys could tell how nice one is, and if they could also tell how to avoid the bitchy ones......

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Big whoop, what bullet?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and picked out a fat cow

Was she 'nice' ? If she wasn't, you are the first guy ever, to not pick a "nice, fat cow". I always wondered how guys could tell how nice one is, and if they could also tell how to avoid the bitchy ones......

I look at how they react when their boyfriend get’s shot...The cows that stand around looking at him, I consider nice. The ones that run away quickly are obviously the bitches. 😁😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and picked out a fat cow

I look at how they react when their boyfriend get’s shot...The cows that stand around looking at him, I consider nice. The ones that run away quickly are obviously the bitches. 😁😎

LMFAO

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,534
Posts18,472,748
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.