Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
…. and rarely use it.
1. it is one of the three greatest big game cartridges ever, Along with the 7x57 and 375H&H

2. see the bottom of the page.

3. Its a great backup for My 7x57 on most of what do under 250yds.

4. It's a great back up for my heavy sporter 280 on the rare occasion I need to shoot something farther.

5. I'm a 'Traditionalist.

capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
30-06, 7x57 and 280? Redundancy comes to mind

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I don’t use mine enough anymore either...just like trying different stuff too much, and who doesn’t know that a .30-06 just plain works!?

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JustinL1
I don’t use mine enough anymore either...just like trying different stuff too much, and who doesn’t know that a .30-06 just plain works!?

...as does a myriad of other chamberings (grin)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the record, i don't own a 30-06. No need for one.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The 7x57 does 90% of what I do, and as you said could do all. I just feel more confident using my Zastava 27" Shaw heavy sporter barrel with double-set-triggers when the shots are farther. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have killed a lot of deer over the last 35 years.. with a lot of different cartridges... most now are with a 30-06... made the mistake of buying a tikka T3 lite in stainless in 30-06 (it was what they had in) and the thing shoots such tiny groups (1/2 inch all day) and it is light.. and it is weatherproof... well, simply put that is about all I take anymore. 30-06 with 165 gr BTs is a deer killing machine

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I have one because it’s what the Garand is chambered in, and it makes the most sense of the factory chamberings for my pre-64 FWT.

Old70

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two. A 760, and a #1.
Both bought right.
Don't like either. Not junk. Just don't like "em.

When I find a light, quality! '06 bolt, cheap, it will become "The one". Maybe.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't think I've killed more than three or four deer in the past half century, that wouldn't have been just as dead had I used a 30-06?

Even so, it's been many years since I've used one. No good excuse for that.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 30-06 needs no justification, or an arbitrary 300 yard limitation.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The '06 can either be loony proof or a rabbit hole all its own to dive into. Depends on one's frame of mind. A better than average all-around gun? Yep. The be-all end-all rifle that stands head and shoulders above all else? Nah, but there are few better. A pisspoor decision made by someone looking to own one rifle with which to do it all? Oh, hell no!

I've owned more '06's than I can remember and own five now- darned near 50 years of them. I figure I'll have one (probably a Springfield) under my bed at the nursing home in 20-30 years. A couple wives and a sh*tload of girlfriends have come and gone but the .30-06 cartridge has been almost my one true constant in my life, now that I think about it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have three of them.. and two 308s. Like them both very much...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Why do I own a 30-06

Because I can!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Plus, as a bonus, it does a superb job at 'toppling' stuff over.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dubePA
Don't think I've killed more than three or four deer in the past half century, that wouldn't have been just as dead had I used a 30-06? .

Not trying to be cute, but what kind of deer wouldn't be just as dead? Armor plated?? smile

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
If you could only have one gun, it would be a good one to choose.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll always own at least one so I don't have to change my username.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have had several, no issues. SIL needed a rifle so he got the last one as a Christmas present. If I had to just pick one it would be a front runner.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by captdavid
…. and rarely use it.
1. it is one of the three greatest big game cartridges ever, Along with the 7x57 and 375H&H

4. It's a great back up for my heavy sporter 280 on the rare occasion I need to shoot something farther.

capt david

My question is why do you only own one?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes indeed, the 06 works. At one time I had 5 then went for a spell without one. I just didn’t feel right NOT owning an 06.

IMO - NO other cartridge is more “American” than 30-06. It has THE history and a fabulous RECORD of success on Men, Mice, Moose, and
the LARGEST of bears! !

Being fortunate enuff to own an arsenal, I only have 1 30-06 but I have multiple backups, smaller & larger so 1 is enuff.
I don’t own a 308 W because there is a 308 IN every 06!!!
OTOH, there is NOT a 30-06 IN any 308 W.

Also with today’s newer powders & bullets the 06 is better than ever.
The 06 deserves its consideration & merit as a Do All cartridge for North America.
It would work in Africa too, except it’s illegal in some Countries for D G.

BSA, I ?think? I said before you did here on the ‘fire’,

I feel it’s UN American NOT to own the “Venerable Veteran” !

So, I own a 30-06 because I’m Patriotic.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I love the cartridge and own 3 of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sold a righty Ruger Hawkeye .30-06 and got a lefty Remington M700 .270 Win for Daughter #1. Now I only have three .30-06 rifles in the safe, Ruger M77, Ruger MKII and Remington M700.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Alright Geedubya, I recognize the second single shot as a High-Wall. But what is that first one?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The '06 can either be loony proof or a rabbit hole all its own to dive into. Depends on one's frame of mind. A better than average all-around gun? Yep. The be-all end-all rifle that stands head and shoulders above all else? Nah, but there are few better. A pisspoor decision made by someone looking to own one rifle with which to do it all? Oh, hell no!

I've owned more '06's than I can remember and own five now- darned near 50 years of them. I figure I'll have one (probably a Springfield) under my bed at the nursing home in 20-30 years. A couple wives and a sh*tload of girlfriends have come and gone but the .30-06 cartridge has been almost my one true constant in my life, now that I think about it.

The only one would disqualify the 30-06 would be recoil.
It does kick pretty hard.

"For kids,women, and men of small stature".

Someone wrote that once, or twice.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 22' barrel 30-06 that I'm probably going to have re-barreled this year.I have been back and forth on what cartridge to build one on and am planning on a new 26" barrel.I really don't want to go below 7mm caliber,I thought about a 280 Ackley,but I have four great shooting 7mags and I'd probably just be trying to make it shoot close to it and really I have plenty of 7mag brass,bullets and powder,so I quit thinking about going that route.I have a couple of great shooting 30-06's and lot's of brass,powder and bullets.I have a 300WSM,a couple of 300 Win Mags and a 338-06,but I just want to stay with the standard cartridge.I cannot really think of anything I'd rather build than just keep it as a 30-06 since I already have all the stuff I need to make cartridges for it.The 30-06 is really the best choice for me and really I wouldn't mind having another great shooting 30-06 because the 30-06 is never a bad choice.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a practical matter I would have been better off to quit buying rifles after I got my first .30-'06, which I still have. But I was like the robber in the Dirty Harry movie, "I gots ta know." So I tried more things that didn't work any better.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Youper
As a practical matter I would have been better off to quit buying rifles after I got my first .30-'06, which I still have. But I was like the robber in the Dirty Harry movie, "I gots ta know." So I tried more things that didn't work any better.

Fell into the same trap myself. I would have been better off to stop when I got my first pre 64 fwt 06!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
For most hunters and what they hunt in North America, the 270 Winchester is a better choice than the 30-06. Less recoil, flatter trajectory, plenty of bullet for a quick kill.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Fell into the same trap myself. I would have been better off to stop when I got my first pre 64 fwt 06! Still looking to replace it one day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a .30-06 to be a backup to my .280 Rem over 23 years ago now. Still a great gun, but I don't hunt with it much, but it does get out at least once a year with me, it has yet to draw blood though.

T
T
I own three , a BLR, a CMP Garand and a Springfield 1903a3, I don't shoot them much, because I tend to shoot old original lever guns mostly. The old ought 6 is American as apple pie and I doubt I will ever sell any of them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
…. and rarely use it.

capt david

The Twat-Six is a poor blend of "performance" to recoil ratio.

Them Facts,hurt lotsa Feelers.

Hint......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've owned two '06's. One in an 03-A3 and the other in a Garand. Only reason they were '06 is because that's what those two rifles were chambered in. I was a lot more interested in the rifle than the cartridge. Learned what I wanted with each and down the road they went. Never owned one in any kind of hunting rifle and don't intend to. It does nothing more than about 2,000 other cartridges also do and do just as well. I find most of them a lot more interesting. None of that is to take anything away from the '06. It's a classic based on the just as good 8 X 57.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
A .30/06 with a 180 grain Nosler Partition and I am ready for the world,with few exceptions.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What's at the bottom of the page?

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have 3 of the 30-06s, really like that caliber.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by patberg
I have 3 of the 30-06s, really like that caliber.

I have three and don't know why except that they sounded good at the time.

Nothing wrong with them, they just don't excite me. The Ruger boat-paddle/stainless is my favorite of the three.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/18/19.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by patbrennan

Fell into the same trap myself. I would have been better off to stop when I got my first pre 64 fwt 06!

Been a member of that club since 1961. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just traded for one last week, my first 30-06. Hoping to pick it up tomorrow or Sunday.
Should fit nicely between my 308 win and 338wm. It’s been a long time coming.
Ruger Hawkeye 77. The scope should arrive Tuesday. A Leupold vx3i 3.5x10x40 B&C Reticle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never owned or shot an -06.

See my sig.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
…. and rarely use it.

capt david

I have three. One is my Dad's Remington 742 (BDL) with a Weave 4x scope. One is the rifle he bought for me to hunt deer with, a Remington 742 carbine with a Weave 4x scope. The third I bought about 15 years ago, a Colt Light Rifle, which I put a Leupold 6x on. I've shot one animal with a .30-06 in the last 10 years, when I used my brother's Pre-war M70 to take a doe. I have rifles ranging from the .223 on up to the 8mm Mauser that are deer capable. Most are redundant, but I like having them around. I try to rotate which get used, so they at least seem to have a purpose. "Need" doesn't enter into the equation.....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 30-06 and always will. It’ll work on every game animal I’m ever going to shoot and thus its so versatile. This versitility also makes it the perfect backup rifle. It’s as close to the perfect cartridge for North America as you’re going to get.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Arns9
I have a 30-06 and always will. It’ll work on every game animal I’m ever going to shoot and thus its so versatile. This versitility also makes it the perfect backup rifle. It’s as close to the perfect cartridge for North America as you’re going to get.

VERY convincing. Might you share some particulars?

Thanks!...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Back when I first started deer hunting, most folks in my area used .308, 30-30, or 30-06 . I guess it is a holdover for me that I use a 30-30 or 30-06 most of the time. I have two 30-06s and critters I shoot with it usually are DRT. No need to change for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The less you "know" or "do"...the "better" it is.

Hint..................

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've used a number of .30/06 rifles over the years, and currently own two. One of them probably gets as much use as any other rifle I own, and has accounted for medium and big game numbered well into the triple figures, including goats, pigs, fallow, red and sambar deer. It seems to combine effectiveness on this range of game with moderate recoil, even in a light rifle. I've had long unbroken strings of one-shot kills with it - I think my best single day was 21 in a row, IIRC.

There again, there are other chamberings which will cover the same ground. A light, handy and accurate rifle in a chambering like 7x57 (I have one of those too) will do a similar job, as will several others I use or have used. Chambering is a fair way down the priority list IMHO: a decent bullet, good handling qualities and accuracy are rather more important.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For 99% of hunters/shooters it matters not a whit if their rifles/loads are capable of 1/2MOA accuracy or better at distances farther than two or three back yards. Keep that in mind when expounding on or decrying a particular rifle/load. Not all of American riflemen are cross-canyon mule deer shooters or bear/moose slayers in the Alaskan rain forest, or 1000 yard competitors- in fact very very few are. For those other folks, a generic factory .30-06 fed hohum factory ammo is still the Gold Standard, and no amount of proselytizing is likely to change that in the near future (well maybe the 6.5CM will due to the tons of ink slathered onto the glossy paper of the gun rags and the electrons sacrificed in its honor on these forums) . Certain Alaskan super-egoists notwithstanding.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have 3 of these as well also two 338’s two 375’s two 9.3’s two 270’s two 308 win’s 35 Whelen and so on,( redundant I know.)
love the 30/06. Not the best at anything but solid,reliable performer.

At some point my hobbies became my life.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The '06 sucks heavy ass,across the board and it's funnier than fhuqk...that Joe Average coddles same.

Hint........................

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's all you have to say?? C'mon, break out of your shell!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

This guy introduced the 30-06 to me when I was born, He was using a 30-06 and guiding elk hunters before most of the people on this board were born. I shot it first when I was nine and killed everything in Montana at least several times with one. The 30-06 was and has been the 6.5 of the 20th Century...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The '06 was certainly best,when that's all there was.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This guy introduced the 30-06 to me when I was born, He was using a 30-06 and guiding elk hunters before most of the people on this board were born. I shot it first when I was nine and killed everything in Montana at least several times with one. The 30-06 was and has been the 6.5 of the 20th Century...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Super uber cool. Thanks for sharing.

Jesus, the jaw on that guy could split oak- and make every girl in the county cross her legs. No wonder he used an '06!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/20/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A glass of water,would horn you up.

Congratulations?!?.......................

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The '06 was certainly best,when that's all there was.

That pork chop your mom hung around your neck made you an angry man...

Laughin'....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your mind numbing fhuqking STUPIDITY,never ain't not a hoot. Congratulations?!?

Mainly...because you are doing your "best".

Hint............................

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Your mind numbing fhuqking STUPIDITY,never ain't not a hoot. Congratulations?!?

Mainly...because you are doing your "best".

Hint............................

Eating meal worms and fighting the cat for his dead mouse has made a survivor out of you. When it is all said and done, I may be funny to you, but you will always be a dwarf wearing red ball sneakers and posing as a gun owner...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A glass of water,would horn you up.

Congratulations?!?.......................

Why, thank you. Quite an observation from the out back of beyond where a spent hen salmon thrashing in the shallows is cause for y'all to stagger close while unzipping your Levi's....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I reckon you GOTTA "convince" yourself of SOMETHING. Who WASN'T toting an '06 or Turdy-Turdy in '47?!?

Bless your heart,you Retarded Fhuqk Stick.

Hint..........................

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I reckon you GOTTA "convince" yourself of SOMETHING. Who WASN'T toting an '06 or Turdy-Turdy in '47?!?

I could go on all night beating your dumb ass with cute little quips, but it ain't worth any more than wrestling a girl; easy to win, but nothing to beat...

You are nothing "short" of hilarious...

Laughin' out loud...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Retreat was/is your only "move".

Congratulations?!?

Jeezus Gawwdamned Fhuqk,you are an idiot.

Hint.......................

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You, sir, are a disgrace. To everything. Yourself in particular.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I could go on all night beating your dumb ass with cute little quips, but it ain't worth any more than wrestling a girl; easy to win, but nothing to beat...

You are nothing "short" of hilarious...

Laughin' out loud...

Don't "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery.

Bless your heart................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't pick on Shrap'...it's a GOOD day,when she don't schit her pants. She's simply doing the BEST she can,with what incredibly little she has to work with.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Retreat was/is your only "move".

Congratulations?!?

Jeezus Gawwdamned Fhuqk,you are an idiot.

Hint.......................

The only retreat you know of is when your mom changed the pork chop around your neck...

"You're killin' me smalls"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's your Imagination,Pretend with it as you MUST.

Bless your heart....................

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I call BS.........

[Linked Image]

Burma Shave!

ya!

GWB

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Well big stick, on your back with belly exposed and your true colors exposed,quite the gentlemen you are. I feel ashamed of you!

At some point my hobbies became my life.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My dad didn't care for 30/06 as he preferred 308 and then went up to 300 Winnie. In 2008 I found a Baco SC FN Model 70 30/06 with pretty wood. Since then I have purchased 6 more. Strangely the last gun he used for hunting before he died was one of my Husky HVA 640 FN Large Ring Mauser with a 4 X Weaver. He loved that gun. It weighed about 9.5 lbs and kicked like a pussycat. I think a lot of hard chargers will shift over to the 06 when they reach a certain age where FPS means less than a gun that delivers decent performance, has inexpensive ammo that available and does the job.

Last edited by kaboku68; 01/21/19.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I own two 30-06.. so I can re barrel them into something useful.

The US in the last 40 years:

Socialism for big corporations and military industrial complex

&

Rugged individualism for the individual.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The '06 sucks heavy ass,across the board and it's funnier than fhuqk...that Joe Average coddles same.

Oh, I don't know. In the real world of sub 300 yard shots it seems to do everything very well. And yes I've shot Moose (plural) with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Northman
I own two 30-06.. so I can re barrel them into something useful.

It hardly surprises me that the 30-06 is too much for you.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Personally,I like the .300 Whelen,but to each their own.

My .300 Whelen.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
It's your Imagination,Pretend with it as you MUST.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike

Oh, I don't know. In the real world of sub 300 yard shots it seems to do everything very well. And yes I've shot Moose (plural) with it.

The 06 has more case capacity than a 308 and set up properly (as in "not just a deer rifle") it is easier to get out to 1,000 than a 308.
As they say, there isn't a substitute for cubic inches except more of them. In this case, about 68gr H2O vs ~56.

Personally, I think LR capability is just an aside and surely not the only measure of a good cartridge. I like 300 yard cartridges. I don't need it nor really care about LR. Kudos to those who do.

Politics is War by Other Means
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I took a Blaser R93 .30/06 to hunt the East Cape for PG this past May/June. It did everything I asked of it loaded with factory Barnes 168 grain TTSX ammunition. Would not hesitate to bring it again.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by moosemike

The 06 has more case capacity than a 308 and set up properly (as in "not just a deer rifle") it is easier to get out to 1,000 than a 308.
As they say, there isn't a substitute for cubic inches except more of them. In this case, about 68gr H2O vs ~56.

Personally, I think LR capability is just an aside and surely not the only measure of a good cartridge. I like 300 yard cartridges. I don't need it nor really care about LR. Kudos to those who do.

Bullets matter more than headstamps and a 7-08 slaps an '06 silly and a 308 ain't even in the mix. The 22LR is a 600yd cartridge and then some.

The only thing you "shoot" is your mouth and Imagination.

Hint....................

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
I took a Blaser R93 .30/06 to hunt the East Cape for PG this past May/June. It did everything I asked of it loaded with factory Barnes 168 grain TTSX ammunition. Would not hesitate to bring it again.

I used a .30/06 for a PG hunt in South Africa in October 1995 using a 180 grain Nosler Partition and it worked very well. And like you,I would use it again. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bullets matter more than headstamps and a 7-08 slaps an '06 silly and a 308 ain't even in the mix. The 22LR is a 600yd cartridge and then some.

Hint....................

Did I mention a 7-08? I think you imagined that.

How many 600 yard matches have you won shooting a 22LR against centerfires? (Or matches shooting anything?)

Paper never lies but some dwarf we know does.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can't "mention" anything worth a fhuqk,due your "means","abilities" and "experience". Hint. Congratulations?!?

Your DUMB Fhuqktitude never disappoints and only your WELL founded Insecurities,can keep pace with same...you "lucky" kchunt.

In fairness however,I like Savage 22's.

[Linked Image]

Laughing!................

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Hint....................

How many 600 yard matches have you won shooting a 22LR against centerfires? (Or matches shooting anything?)

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your Retardation,never ain't not a fhuqking riot.

Congratulations?!?................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your Retardation,never ain't not a fhuqking riot.

Congratulations?!?................

You forgot to google "300 win mag". That beats the '06 at 1000 too. Oh, and the 6 Dasher. And the 260 Rem. And the 7 WSM. And the ....

You only get a "D" for effort, Sherlock.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I only shoot 300 Whizzum,WinMag,H&H,Wby and Super currently...my 30378 was a total piece of fhuqking schit. I rather like the 6BR and only have a few. The 260 is blasse',I suffer same and 260AI too. Have never even heard of 7WSM.

Hint.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wow, that K-hunt sitting on the couch in Paradise is really driving up his post count for sure. Posting on almost every topic, he must be attention starved .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon my shooting it all. What were the "odds",that you Whined instead of TRYING to "talk" rifles. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Besides being a Clueless Fhuqk,you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...as you "forgot" about your heralded Imaginary Pretend Ignore,yet again.

Bless your heart.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I only shoot 300 Whizzum,WinMag,H&H,Wby and Super currently...my 30378 was a total piece of fhuqking schit. I rather like the 6BR and only have a few. The 260 is blasse',I suffer same and 260AI too. Have never even heard of 7WSM.

Hint.

We’re all in stitches in our imagination worlds as we envision the sight of you shooting a 30-378 and having to walk back up to the firing line after getting blown backwards by the recoil of the 30-378...

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
So you have a keyboard taped to your rifle stock, and slur blather in between shooting strings?

Or did you get a new ankle tether, and can only imagine and pretend to be outside pretending to be the greatest?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Hint.

We’re all in stitches in our imagination worlds as we envision the sight of you shooting a 30-378 and having to walk back up to the firing line after getting blown backwards by the recoil of the 30-378...

That might explain his fugged up nature

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Insults are arguments only within the muddled thoughts of the small-minded. Hint.

30-06 is great. Is still my go-to for everything hunting, even with cast bullets chugging near the speed of sound. 200gr Partitions at 2600 do fine for everything big in NA, even at ranges outside the "norm".

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Hint.

It's your Imagination,be SURE to Pretend with as you must. Luckily,it's priced within your "means",so you can "afford" to "contribute". Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Hint................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KenMi
So you have a keyboard taped to your rifle stock, and slur blather in between shooting strings?

Or did you get a new ankle tether, and can only imagine and pretend to be outside pretending to be the greatest?

I'm as at ease in sandbagging my abilities,as you are in talking out your ass. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart..............

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Hint....................

Paper never lies but some dwarf we know does.

IIRC it was July 1993 when the state championships silhouette smallbore/big bore were held in Las Cruces NM. The matches were held on a Saturday & Sunday. I got second place on Saturday and first place overall for both days. Yes,I won class B and after that I was moved up to Class A. In the big bore I did not place at all. wink

The two trophies...
[Linked Image]

The plaques...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I don't remember how many competed in Class B,but it was more than two people. grin

I shot silhouette matches from 1991-1997. I also shot smallbore in Anthony,Tx fro a short time. I shot some big bore but,it was mostly smallbore.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Have never even heard of 7WSM.

Hint.

I'm told there was such a critter...........

[Linked Image]

Sako 75 Hunter, 7mm WSM

supposed to work well on the smallish stuff!

ya!

GWB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Insults are arguments only within the muddled thoughts of the small-minded. Hint.

30-06 is great. Is still my go-to for everything hunting, even with cast bullets chugging near the speed of sound. 200gr Partitions at 2600 do fine for everything big in NA, even at ranges outside the "norm".

A 21" 7-08 will squirt 180grs of .796BC at that speed.

Hint..................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd try one,but making brass sounds difficult.

Laughing!............

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Always wanted to go to Raton,NM and compete in the NRA Nationals for silhouette matches,but I never could get away for them. Guess I did not try hard enough.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

A 21" 7-08 will squirt 180grs of .796BC at that speed.

Hint..................

And still won't kill things any better. Next worthless schitt argument....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntShoot,

Might you infer that '06 performance is easily trumped by a 7-08,while killing things just as dead,with less recoil,weight,length and less noise?

That REALLY "sweetens" the pot for the '06.

Congratulations?!?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Hint.

It's your Imagination,be SURE to Pretend with as you must. Luckily,it's priced within your "means",so you can "afford" to "contribute". Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Hint................

I found your video of you firing a 6.5 BR, your smallness makes any gun look bigger...

Try some platform shoes, they make you look a little taller...

Laughin", you really are nothing but fodder for fun...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What were the "odds",you needed to summons your GoogleFu and plagiarize? Congratulations?!?

Very GOOD call to shut the fhuqk up,forget all things the rifle and swipe things from others instead.

Bless your heart...............

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My father got a marksmanship badge on his uniform in WWII.
Those groups were shot with a 1903 Springfield.
When WWII was over, he went to Sears and Roebuck and bought a surplus 1903 Springfield 30-06 made in 1931.

I handload over 60 cartridges, but have not hand loaded 30-06 since 1995 for my Sav 110 without a recoil pad shot prone.

I have been shooting plenty of 300WM prone, but with recoil pads. I have been conditioned [with recoil pain] not to use any of my (11) 30-06 rifles.

When I rebarrel the 30-06 rifles for 6.5-06 or 280AI, they are somehow ok.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never heard of it...............

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Hint.

300 wsm “dwarf”’s a 260.

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 01/21/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh my...just look at you "go". Congratulations?!?

What do you "shoot" in your 300WSM and 260? Use as much Imagination and Pretend as you need.

Hint....................

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Hint................

I found your video of you firing a 6.5 BR, your smallness makes any gun look bigger...

Try some platform shoes, they make you look a little taller...

Laughin", you really are nothing but fodder for fun...

His platforms are in the shop getting “redone”.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ooopsie!................

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

IIRC it was July 1993 when the state championships silhouette smallbore/big bore were held in Las Cruces NM. The matches were held on a Saturday & Sunday. I got second place on Saturday and first place overall for both days. Yes,I won class B and after that I was moved up to Class A. wink

The two trophies...

Men can shoot from their hind legs. The dwarf can only shoot using training wheels.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's your Imagination,be SURE to Pretend with it,as you must. Congratulations?!?

Hint................

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

IIRC it was July 1993 when the state championships silhouette smallbore/big bore were held in Las Cruces NM. The matches were held on a Saturday & Sunday. I got second place on Saturday and first place overall for both days. Yes,I won class B and after that I was moved up to Class A. In the big bore I did not place at all. wink

The two trophies...

Men can shoot from their hind legs. The dwarf can only shoot using training wheels.

laugh laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oooopsie!.............

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
KchuntShoot,

Might you infer that '06 performance is easily trumped by a 7-08,while killing things just as dead,with less recoil,weight,length and less noise?

That REALLY "sweetens" the pot for the '06.

Congratulations?!?

Recoil, weight, noise, length? Are we talking rifles, or your ex-wife? Either way, I'm a man and I'm taken, so I don't quite get what you're "aiming" at.

Explain please, ma'am.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntShoot,

I missed it where anyone "accused" you of having a First Fhuqking Clue,mainly because you simply do not. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The ONLY reason it is fhuqking funny,is because you are 100% doing your best.

Hint.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never heard of it...............

[Linked Image]

Stick, what's your opinion on the 8mm-06? And is it AI'd?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best,when melded with a Reupold 4.5-14x!

Laughing!..............

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
KchuntShoot,

I missed it where anyone "accused" you of having a First Fhuqking Clue,mainly because you simply do not. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The ONLY reason it is fhuqking funny,is because you are 100% doing your best.

Hint.

Yeah...insults still aren't arguments. So what we have is that your ex couldn't shoot a 30-06, so you now tote a 7-08 because she wouldn't even take it with her when she left.

Again, you can't beat an 06 except with numbers in a table. From squirrel to elephant, the 06 beats everything you "fling" in actual animals on the ground over a century and change. That's the reality.

Keep bragging about spending thousands on Vudoo. I don't GAF. I have a life with a wife and kids (which are home schooled, and are already more proficient at grammar, math, and spelling than you at <10) and I still have all the guns and gear I want. One of us deserves congratulations; the other deserves pity.

Hint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntShoot,

Facts and Physics aren't "subjective". Hint. Congratulations?!?

I've never even heard of Vudoo...but your WELL founded Insecurities are SCREAMING loud and clear.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
KchuntShoot,

I've never even heard of Vudoo...but your WELL founded Insecurities are SCREAMING loud and clear.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

Lard Ass, you still haven't figured out your low class life have you. You have a few ugly rifles and show your lard ass in your post. Don't you understand that you are a narcissist and laughed at by the forum members? Wake up feller, I love fellers like you!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bitchlambert,

I'm rather at ease in citing Facts and Physics,as applied to water under the bridge...while you Whine and flounder,searching hopelessly for your first fhuqking clue. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Your Man Lust is palpable.

Hint.

Bless your heart..............

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cause I have owned most magnums and finally realized they kick too much, use too much powder, etc. The 06 kills well at reasonable range and doesn't have the downsides I mention and I like it.

Last edited by Mac284338; 01/21/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All my '06's are stamped "7-08".

Hint.................(grin)

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Works well from antelope to moose which encompasses our game here

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the 7-08 and hold the fluff.

Hint.............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All my '06's are stamped "7-08".

Hint.................(grin)

I hear you can get that remedied?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
KchuntShoot,

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

I love it! I have few insecurities, Stick. Because I actually work toward bettering myself daily, and have for the last 30 years. I have a very successful life, despite many hurdles, which I am quite pleased that I have overcome. I certainly base next to none of my worth on my understanding of gun gack. Why? Because I understand that it isn't vitally important in the scope of my life. I enjoy shooting, handloading, hunting, fishing, just like you, but I also have other goals that have nothing to do with these things.

What you don't seem to grasp is that the majority of us on this site are like this: we have lives and families and goals outside of the shooting sports which often take precedence. I feel sad for you for this reason: at the end of every day of your life, all you have is all that crap, all that knowledge, and emptiness. You make that clear when you fling endless insults at those who simply disagree with you on things that are subjective anyway. This thread is a prime example. A guy posts why he owns a 30-06, and you attack the cartridge, using YOUR subjective criteria, then extrapolate to all the rest of us using the cartridge, attacking us for using our objective criteria instead of yours. And you still can't see how small-minded that makes you. And you still can't see how much you interact with a mirror whenever you post.

Good luck with all that gun gack and all that that stuff to keep you company in the years to come, when you have alienated yourself from everyone who might have ever truly cared about you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntShoot,

There's no need to wax eloquent upon your very WELL founded Insecurities,your Dog Dick "job",your hilarious Stupidity,nor your fhuqking Cluelessness...not that it ain't all hilarious. Hint. congratulations?!?

Rest assured,that nobody can "make" you appear as a Dumber Fhuqk than you actually are,than yoy can by you simply doing your BEST.

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Smallest animal I killed with a .30/06.
[Linked Image]

Largest...
[Linked Image]

Second largest...
[Linked Image]

And even a mule deer here in NM.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ooooopsie!............

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I like the one on the left.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oooopsie!................

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Two ground squirrels with one shot from a CZ 455 .17 HMR.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oooopsie!...............

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Elkchunt,

What "camera" do you "use",because your "pictures" are very "impressive". Didja buy a homebuilt pinhole camera at your last Jerry Lewis Telethon. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You "lucky" kchunt.

Bless your heart for TRYING.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

.460 Wby with a 500 grain Hornady DGX and 95.0 grains of Var-Get at 100 yards. The average velocity is 2316 fps.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Secondhand Lady Lion's,hand holding and a pinhole camera...THE fhuqking Trifecta. LAUGHING! Congratulations?!?

Oooopsie!..........

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You a real idiot, and to top it off you are a fool! Haven't posted a positive post ever.............Bitter old man

Hint.....................

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Get ready for ramblings having to do with imagination, pretend, and general assholitude, in which he has a phd.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
KchuntShoot,

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

I love it! I have few insecurities, Stick. Because I actually work toward bettering myself daily, and have for the last 30 years. I have a very successful life, despite many hurdles, which I am quite pleased that I have overcome. I certainly base next to none of my worth on my understanding of gun gack. Why? Because I understand that it isn't vitally important in the scope of my life. I enjoy shooting, handloading, hunting, fishing, just like you, but I also have other goals that have nothing to do with these things.

What you don't seem to grasp is that the majority of us on this site are like this: we have lives and families and goals outside of the shooting sports which often take precedence. I feel sad for you for this reason: at the end of every day of your life, all you have is all that crap, all that knowledge, and emptiness. You make that clear when you fling endless insults at those who simply disagree with you on things that are subjective anyway. This thread is a prime example. A guy posts why he owns a 30-06, and you attack the cartridge, using YOUR subjective criteria, then extrapolate to all the rest of us using the cartridge, attacking us for using our objective criteria instead of yours. And you still can't see how small-minded that makes you. And you still can't see how much you interact with a mirror whenever you post.

Good luck with all that gun gack and all that that stuff to keep you company in the years to come, when you have alienated yourself from everyone who might have ever truly cared about you.

You expressed my sentiments very well...thanks. Great post imo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Switch
You a real idiot, and to top it off you are a fool! Haven't posted a positive post ever.............Bitter old man

Hint.....................

Snitch,

It's your Imagination,Pretend with it as you MUST. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Your Stupidity is solely upon you and once you realize same,you can deal with it...as I'm not obliged to. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Hint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KenMi
Get ready for ramblings having to do with imagination, pretend, and general assholitude, in which he has a phd.

KenBitchigan,

The LAST fhuqking thing I'd wanna do,is to swipe either your Imagination or it's Pretend...mainly because it's all that you've "got" and that would be mean. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Hint.

Laughing!...............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
KchuntShoot,

Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

You expressed my sentiments very well...thanks. Great post imo.

I know. You just gotta be sure to use little words with her,so she can try to keep pace.

Bless her heart.

Hint.

Laughing!...................

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Hello , whistle britches

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Hello , whistle britches

You and captdavid dating? How quaint. Congratulations?!?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Hello , whistle britches

You and captdavid dating? How quaint. Congratulations?!?

It APPEARS THAT LARDASS IS POSTING AGAIN. Has all the nasty looking "rifles" and gets his jollies putting down the rest.
I do love printing on his replies even though I don't have as much time as he. It also appears that he has plenty of time to post his BS and pictures of his nasty rifles.
I will get on with my real life and reply to your BS when I have time living a real life. "Hint"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bitchlambert,

It's your Imagination,be sure to Pretend with it as you MUST. One knows that being a Texan sucks ass,when Texans is trying to "convince" themselves,that they ain't same. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I ain't much fun to try and keep pace with and you are assuredly devoid the "means","abilities" and "comprehension"...if only for fhuqking starters. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...................

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ah, excuse me, this thread is about Why I own a 30-06 not your personal issues.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't pick on Bitchlambert...she's rather Texas TENDER. Hint.

Bless your heart.................

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Your ankle tether must be buzzing like a chainsaw with all these post notifications you have to catch up on.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Head shot coyote with my .22/6mm and a 40 grain Nosler Armageddon at IIRC 50-75 yards.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just in case,I'm the one holding the rifle.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ooooopsie!................

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i never knew tourette syndrome could manifest in the posts of a thread until i read some of big sticks ramblings. boy needs meds.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oooopsie!..............

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerstalker
i never knew tourette syndrome could manifest in the posts of a thread until i read some of big sticks ramblings. boy needs meds.

beertalker,

Your STUPIDITY is simply fhuqking Magnificent. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Hint................

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 my self now. T3 stainless, and dads M77 tang.
it does everything so well.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ooooopsie!.................

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ive nothing against the 30-06...but I can do the same with less recoil...and a flatter trajectory.

Hence my love for the 270. There is nothing I would shoot with a 06 that I also wouldn't shoot with a 270. Believe it or not...ive cut my rifle inventory down to 2 270s and 2 .22lrs. Im loving the simplicity.

But make no mistake...the 30-06 is excellent.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never owned one, though I did buy one for my little girl ( she was 14 or 15 at the time)..had absolutely nothing against them. Years ago, loaded aught 6’s for several friends and my daughter. A several years ago, got a heck of a buy on one, and thought......what the heck, after owning rifles for over 50 years, I might as well get one. Still don’t know what the heck I’ll do with it.....but I got it! grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/30/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i've owned an 06' since the mid 70's. switched to the 308 win 2 years ago as i found it killed elk just fine. 2 weeks ago i gave my 06' to a son as he waits for his son to grow a little older. great cartridge. see the book entitled one man, one rifle, one land.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Heck of a book. He took most species of North American big game with his 30-06 Rem 700 ADL, and handloaded 165 gr Nosler Partitions. Stepped up to 200 gr Partitions for some of the bigger animals:

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
More hunting pics!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I didn’t mean to, but bought another 30-06, you can’t have too many!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I have three of them.. and two 308s. Like them both very much...

I think I have no less than five '06s. Rem 700 BDL, Win M70 Super Grade, Sako AV, Marlin MR7, and a Whitworth Mark X. All are beautiful keepers for sure

Several .308s as well as .300 Savages and .300 Win Mags. I guess you could say I have the .30 calibers covered. grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
30-06, 7x57 and 280? Redundancy comes to mind

You're right! .......... I own all three as well but in much varying rifle pkgs.

The '06 is a shorter bbl 760 with peep sight. The 280 is a longer bbl 700 with larger scope. The 7x57 is a Ruger #1 with low powered. They could all be 30-06s and still be useful for different applications.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,796
Posts18,477,396
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.