Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Cash is King
We are getting 2,850 fps out of our version (trim length of 1.595") with 110 gr Hornady FTX .357s

THIS SPEED FAR EXCEEDS THE RATED SPEED OF THE 110 GR BULLET...

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides... the bullet will be nothing but an RPG when it hits a hog, coyote, deer or bear.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It could actually have a niche in the AR market. Load it down to subsonic levels and it would be a very nice, big hole making, suppressed round along the lines of the Russian 9x39. Load it hot and it would be twenty rounds or so of a .357 magnum on steroids for home defense. In a pencil barreled lightweight AR, it would be 21st Century equivalent of a Winchester 92 for all around use.

You mean like the Blackout?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
. . . Umm...

Not trying to be confrontational here, but you did indeed offer the abridged version of what he said.

I reposted what he wrote just for the convenience of others who may never have heard of him or his (highlighted) ignorant personal opinions. Like I said, none of that applies to me. My exposure and use of ARs is strictly limited to the Marine Corps and for me, they are useful today only as a personal defense weapon, not a hunting rifle I would carry to the field. I would simply feel a little bit like an important, self conscious "Barney Fife" carrying a military rifle out in the woods. Just my personal opinion. To each his own.

What do you feel is acceptable and fashionable to take hunting?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If I was trying to dance around 1.8" case length hunting laws, I would probably trim a .45-70 to 1.800" and move on down the line... bullet jump on big bore is not very important... Or simple shoot a .454c

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by deflave
It could actually have a niche in the AR market. Load it down to subsonic levels and it would be a very nice, big hole making, suppressed round along the lines of the Russian 9x39. Load it hot and it would be twenty rounds or so of a .357 magnum on steroids for home defense. In a pencil barreled lightweight AR, it would be 21st Century equivalent of a Winchester 92 for all around use.

Bigger hole.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

What do you feel is acceptable and fashionable to take hunting?

Pink purse and a Creedmoor seems very popular with many of the guys around here... I think many also wear matching pink panties, but I don't ask...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Heavy subs will be a problem... Seating depth on say 250s to 350s will bulge the case internally and prevent cambering. Best guess on subs will be a max of 200 or 225s... not sure yet... we are still messing around...

Moleman used an inside reamer on the cases.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Bigger hole.

Get real.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
. . . Umm...

Not trying to be confrontational here, but you did indeed offer the abridged version of what he said.

I reposted what he wrote just for the convenience of others who may never have heard of him or his (highlighted) ignorant personal opinions. Like I said, none of that applies to me. My exposure and use of ARs is strictly limited to the Marine Corps and for me, they are useful today only as a personal defense weapon, not a hunting rifle I would carry to the field. I would simply feel a little bit like an important, self conscious "Barney Fife" carrying a military rifle out in the woods. Just my personal opinion. To each his own.

I understand why you posted the Zumbo effect wording he used.

The difference is, you what works for "you". That is fine. But your personal opinion of hunting with them pretty much mirrors Zumbo's.

Zumbo spouted off his opinion that nobody should hunt with them because HE didn't like them. That's what very, very nearly cost him his career.

I respect your views.

But, I bet if you came down here for a weekend, I could change your mind about them. smile

I pretty much hunt exclusively with an AR now.

Their accuracy got my attention first. So I bought one, and learned how to use it. Still accurate as any bolt rifle I have... But, when calling coyotes and you have 8 or more coyotes coming in at one time on a stand, it's nice to concentrate on just shooting as many as you can (with aimed fire just like a bolt rifle), but without working the bolt, removing the rifle from your shoulder, and reloading.

Pretty nice to have when hog hunting as well. wink

Granted, 95% of my hunting resulting in dead animals only takes one shot. But the extras in the mag are nice to have just in case.

Not to mention having a rifle for self defense that you are used to shooting, know where it hits, and are familiar with.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Bigger hole.

Get real.

I am. It’s called math.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Math can’t compensate for lack of experience.

But feel free to spend your money on it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I am. It’s called math.

Would you consider it a recoiless Death Ray?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Updated 38- 55, looks like.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I am. It’s called math.

I don’t know. I mean puzzies think that a 30-06 recoils a lot, so I suppose it is all subjective based on the tenderness of your vagina.

Last edited by JoeBob; 01/23/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

You’re right. I never saw the need for a .300 Blackout.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by duckster
We hunt in Iowa for deer season and they require either slugs, muzzleloader or straight wall cartridge. It looks interesting to me from that perspective. I could see several makers pick it up for a light bolt action rifle.
we can use the 45-70 and the 444 in Iowa so the question would be why?

My .45/70 out of a Marlin lever gun is OK with accuracy to 130-150 yards but a lighter recoiling round in a accurate bolt gun might be able to extend that range by another 50 yards or so

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Heavy subs will be a problem... Seating depth on say 250s to 350s will bulge the case internally and prevent cambering. Best guess on subs will be a max of 200 or 225s... not sure yet... we are still messing around...

Moleman used an inside reamer on the cases.

One of the guys played with inside reaming and got case separations. Besides... inside reaming is a real PITA.

--------------------------------------------

SO... while trimming some .223 Basic brass for Danny... I decided to leave the trimmer set at 1.595" and try a couple of pieces of 5.56...

It is showing promise...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IMHO it will require a neck expand and a retrim, BUT brass is basically free... and maybe, just maybe a 1.592" trim would leave the brass at 1.595" after the expand (eliminating the retrim step), but alas I am only good at trial and error vs. "real Trigonometry", but maybe y'all want to try this...

AND MAYBE... This is why the .350 Legend is 1.710" and not 1.595"... to keep us cheapskates from doing just this.

Just pondering

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I am. It’s called math.

I don’t know. I mean puzzies think that a 30-06 recoils a lot, so I suppose it is all subjective based on the tenderness of your vagina.

You must have a raw one then.

You sure said that a .270 leaves you black and blue, but a 30-06 had no recoil.

LOL. (All in the same thread..)

The 30-06 doesn’t recoil, it can be made in an extremely light rifle, and it is accurate out to all reasonable distances. More and more, I’m just happy to be bored. And I say that while being a huge fan of the mild non magnum 7mm’s, which also work great in my opinion.

My first centerfire deer rifle at 12 was the much feared 700 ADL with a wood stock in .270. I thought a black and blue shoulder was just part of the game.

I gotta hand it you... That WAS an entertaining thread. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You’re right. I never saw the need for a .300 Blackout.

Wheels on the bus...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Times are changing in Michigan. Hunting is on the way out. Democrat muslims control the state.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,768
Posts18,515,526
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.