Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 21 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 20 21
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sad, Trump could've held the line. Shut down a bunch more. Held their feet to the fire. Vetoed anything lacking a border barrier. If the Rs voted to over ride then we could know who to blame and vote them out. If planes quit flying and SS payments stopped along with food stamps the Democrats would have personally gone down there to work on the wall. Trump has learned something I learned as a game warden 30 years ago, if you threaten something you better be ready to carry through. Because there are those who will call your hand. I found it best if I didn't want to go to the trouble of putting a violator in my boat and hauling him 30 miles it was best not to say "if you don't do such and such I will take you to jail". I learned to tell a recalcitrant violator "you make up your mind on how you want to handle your part and then I'll make my decision on what to do with you". Trump has put himself in the position that he has to build a wall or have a court decision or veto override stopping him.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Paddler
Ding, dong the Donald's dead, the Donald's dead.... Figuratively, of course. He has no chance to pass any legislative agenda. But then he never really one except for the tax breaks for his wealthy donors, which only hurt the rest of us.
........................Ooooooooh SHUT UP!

Three words as rebuttal

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

(Trump will replace her)

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

The exile to the Australian colony was for 2 years

AGW,

I follow British colonial history in various parts of the globe, and have read a fantastically researched book by professor Grace Karskens,
called 'The Colony' covering from 1788-1830.

I distinctly recall that convicts sent to the colony of NSW in that period, were given 7 years Transportation (and 30 acres after their term was served
or commuted by the governor of the colony)...some were even given double that time in banishment from mother England....14 years transportation.
British soldiers who decided to settle in the colony, got the same amount of (30 acres) land grant as convicts ...British officers did a whole
lot better for themselves ,some notable ones receiving a number of lucrative land grants...ranging from hundreds to several thousands of acres.

The first Fleet had approx. 750 surviving convicts out of a total of just under 1500 people that arrived.
(approx 215 were British marines)

By about the 1840s Free settlers were keeping match with the convict influx numbers...by about 1850 the Oz population was
like 400,000 so convicts were already the minority....by 1860 pop. was about 1 million, convict population became a clear minority.
(about 160,000 convicts made it to Australia in total ,.. though not all for theft or forgery, assault, etc, ...The British were also
transporting political prisoners and other undesirables.)

In the 1820s-30s there was growing pressure from Free settlers to ban convict transport to Oz,...the new generation of settlers were
shunning the convict past of the colony and trying hard to bury it and distance themselves from it....A famous early convict , Mary Reiby,
who arrived as a teenager became very successful in business to become very wealthy...she was shunned by the new generation of settlers,
so much so she got fed up with being rejected by the new wave of cultural attitude, and moved out of Sydney Town to rural Newtown area,
building three new mansions, one for herself and one each for her two daughters....clearly money was no object, but money could not buy
her acceptance from the new generation of people flooding into the colony.

.... if you behaved, your family was allowed to immigrate and you were given 40 acres but were never allowed to return to England.

Names of convicts that returned to England from Australia, appeared in the British census to show that they did in fact return.

The Sydney Gazette also published names of convicts that declared they were returning to England.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Raspy
Ding, dong the Donald's dead, the Donald's dead.... Figuratively, of course. He has no chance to pass any legislative agenda. But then he never really one except for the tax breaks for his wealthy donors, which only hurt the rest of us.

And Paddle Prick lies again!!!.......Hey bonehead! If you check the tax rates at all the various income levels before and after, the Trump tax cuts were for ALL. Everyone got a tax break......You lie thru yer fricken ass.

Paddler...I predict we will get the wall...even if the 9th circus proclaims against the wall, Trump will do it anyway...forcing the Supreme court to decide....we need to do something about these Federal circuit judges as in my opinion they are not above the Executive Branch...especially when the constitution is on POTUS side....Trump will say say screw you Fed Circus Judge and he will build it, the let the supreme court step in.

I'll bet you a nickle....

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You morons show up every time you think Trump is getting handled, then you get bitch slapped, disppear for a couple weeks and pop up again when CNN gives you hope. [bleep] been going on for over two years. 😂

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But, but, this time,this time it’s for real! 🤣

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
So let the Dems run on open borders, free healthcare , free housing, food stamps, earned income tax credits ( no taxes paid) free education ( including college) preference affirmative action hiring for tens of millions of illegal aliens

Trump created the best economic conditions in 50 years and it is hurting him ironically enough. This incredibly strong American economy is an anomaly and Americans take it for granted especially the dumb millennials. The economy will go through a downturn in a year or 2 and see how the middle class feels about open borders .

Rbg croaks in next 6 months and a third appointment for Trump in less tha 4 years.

And he is getting us out of the bloodthirsty Omama’s endless Wars

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hastings
I'm sad, Trump could've held the line. Shut down a bunch more. Held their feet to the fire. Vetoed anything lacking a border barrier. If the Rs voted to over ride then we could know who to blame and vote them out. If planes quit flying and SS payments stopped along with food stamps the Democrats would have personally gone down there to work on the wall. Trump has learned something I learned as a game warden 30 years ago, if you threaten something you better be ready to carry through. Because there are those who will call your hand. I found it best if I didn't want to go to the trouble of putting a violator in my boat and hauling him 30 miles it was best not to say "if you don't do such and such I will take you to jail". I learned to tell a recalcitrant violator "you make up your mind on how you want to handle your part and then I'll make my decision on what to do with you". Trump has put himself in the position that he has to build a wall or have a court decision or veto override stopping him.

spot on......bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RBG is probably on her death bed as we speak. That could come into play in a month.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Starman

AGW,

I follow British colonial history in various parts of the globe, and have read a fantastically researched book by professor Grace Karskens,

I distinctly recall that convicts sent to the colony of NSW in that period, were given 7 years Transportation (and 30 acres after their term was served
or commuted by the governor of the colony)...some were even given double that time in banishment from mother England....14 years transportation.
British soldiers who decided to settle in the colony, got the same amount of (30 acres) land grant as convicts ...British officers did a whole
lot better for themselves ,some notable ones receiving a number of lucrative land grants...ranging from hundreds to several thousands of acres.

The first Fleet had approx. 750 surviving convicts out of a total of just under 1500 people that arrived.

By about the 1840s Free settlers were keeping match with the convict influx numbers...by about 1850 the Oz population was
like 400,000 so convicts were already the minority....by 1860 pop. was about 1 million, convict population became a clear minority.
(about 160,000 convicts made it to Australia in total ,.. though not all for theft or forgery, assault, etc, ...The British were also

In the 1820s-30s there was growing pressure from Free settlers to ban convict transport to Oz,...the new generation of settlers were
shunning the convict past of the colony and trying hard to bury it and distance themselves from it....A famous early convict , Mary Reiby,
who arrived as a teenager became very successful in business to become very wealthy...she was shunned by the new generation of settlers,
so much so she got fed up with being rejected by the new wave of cultural attitude, and moved out of Sydney Town to rural Newtown area,
building three new mansions, one for herself and one each for her two daughters....clearly money was no object, but money could not buy

.... if you behaved, your family was allowed to immigrate and you were given 40 acres but were never allowed to return to England.

Names of convicts that returned to England from Australia, appeared in the British census to show that they did in fact return.

The Sydney Gazette also published names of convicts that declared they were returning to England.

You do your homework.

Of my convict ancestors two were forgers sent to Sydney, another two were sent to Tasmania...one of these was a young lass, and the other, (the fellow she married) was a "lawmaker" (solicitor, which probably actually deserved banishment).

There were a couple of others and they ended up owning properties and public houses, with a surprising number of relatives following from England to settle.

Stuff England...they deserve everything they get.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by muffin

Yes...especially the below....

Democrats will find a judge in the Ninth Circuit who believes that a district court judge has the power to overrule the statutory authority clearly granted to the president to declare a national emergency. What happens then? I think it is quite possible that the Trump administration will appeal directly to the SCOTUS, bypassing the Ninth in the name of a national emergency. He might even decide to take a stand against the new concept of district court jurisdiction over the entire United States.

Illegitimi non carborundum

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Interesting read this, but I am of the opinion that you lot seem to have a problem staying the course and backing your team.

And a lot of you seem too quick to bail.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Are people getting paid that didn't work? I can see if you had to work through this shutdown but if you didn't I don't see getting paid. No different than getting laid off, file unemployment.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari

Three words as rebuttal

Ruth Bader Ginsburgjavascript:quickReply(13498049,1,0)

(Trump will replace her)

As disappointed as I am at Trump giving in to Pelosi........and make no mistake about it, that's exactly what happened despite what the Trumpkins say to the otherwise, I am forever grateful that Hillary is not president and that Trump hopefully has the chance to make a third choice to the SCOTUS.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Well men, I have in my life bitten off more than I could chew.

Some may consider me a failure, I do not.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JSTUART

AGW,

You do your homework.

Of my convict ancestors two were forgers sent to Sydney, another two were sent to Tasmania...one of these was a young lass, and the other, (the fellow she married) was a "lawmaker" (solicitor, which probably actually deserved banishment).

There were a couple of others and they ended up owning properties and public houses, with a surprising number of relatives following from England to settle.

Stuff England...they deserve everything they get.

I just buried the last of my prior generation but I did sit down with a grandmother 50 years ago where she labelled photo's and went through who they all were and none were convicts, but free immigrants. Mothers side in late 1800's farhers side at the commencement of WW1where my grandfather sighed up. Because of the unwritten but enacted white Australia policy, the isolation never changed until we got our Obama in 1973. Even though Gough Whitlam was tossed out in 1975, the damage was done.

When I was there in recent months, I was the only Aussie on the trains for much of my journey, sometime 1 or 2 more would appear but the coundtry has changed enormously from the days I used to carry a 22 and a pocket full of cartridges or ventured into the Shooters Home in George Street Sydney and lined up a rifle out the window to check the sights.
All gone.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Interesting read this, but I am of the opinion that you lot seem to have a problem staying the course and backing your team.

And a lot of you seem too quick to bail.
LOL spot on,, All hat an no cattle!

I AM AMERICA!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

AGW,

None of that justifies your cheap shot. The book sounds interesting but is obviously published long after my schooling which was a very controlled environment.

I still recall the uproar when Aussies found out the Government was taking black kids away from their family's up to the 1970's and no-one was told. The public education appears quite controlled in hindsight.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Well men, I have in my life bitten off more than I could chew.

Some may consider me a failure, I do not.

Someone once told me that it's not how much you bite off, but when you know whether to swallow it or to spit it out.

Page 14 of 21 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.