Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
curdog4570,

BEFORE "sneering" at ANY member of this forum, I suggest that you go CAREFULLY read what was actually said/asked & answered.
IF you do that, you will LOOK smarter & less SILLY, ignorant and/or moronic. = READING COMPREHENSION is a GOOD thing.
(The member who asked me about "grass" was specifically asking about WT deer eating "coastal Bermuda" grass. Neither of us were talking about "wild rye", "wild oats", trees/bushes, commercial livestock feed or ANY other sort of possible deer rations, EXCEPT "coastal Bermuda grass"..)

Therefore, your post # 13502186 has been carefully considered & DISCOUNTED to its actual value to persons of "reasonably normal IQ" & at least a minimum of actual education. = ZERO, NADA, ZILCH & of NO VALUE whatever.
(Before calling ANYBODY an "idiot", go look in any convenient mirror.)

just my opinion, tex

Last edited by DarlaG; 01/28/19. Reason: add

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
This is NOT meant to be argumentative, only a question........I understand the desert bighorn population to be thriving now in the Trans Pecos......No?

And, yes, I know lifelong ranchers down in that country who seldom, if ever see a lion, but are 100% sure they are there.

It's much better than it was when the entire first herd they put at Black gap got eaten.

I saw that TPWD estimates 1200 or so. Not too sure about that number though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DarlaG
curdog4570,

BEFORE "sneering" at ANY member of this forum, I suggest that you go CAREFULLY read what was actually said/asked & answered.
IF you do that, you will LOOK smarter & less SILLY, ignorant and/or moronic. = READING COMPREHENSION is a GOOD thing.
(The member who asked me about "grass" was specifically asking about WT deer eating "coastal Bermuda" grass. Neither of us were talking about "wild rye", "wild oats", trees/bushes, commercial livestock feed or ANY other sort of possible deer rations, EXCEPT "coastal Bermuda grass"..)

Therefore, your post # 13502186 has been carefully considered & DISCOUNTED to its actual value to persons of "reasonably normal IQ" & at least a minimum of actual education. = ZERO, NADA, ZILCH & of NO VALUE whatever.
(Before calling ANYBODY an "idiot", go look in any convenient mirror.)

just my opinion, tex

Are you SURE you're not Lee24?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
ingwe,

I have no idea who "Lee24" is/was/might be. - Who is that & why should I care??

Are you "Paddler", using another of his many "identities" & "personalities"?? = You seem to repeatedly ask the same sort of SILLY & needless questions, that "Paddler, the leftist troll" does & which accomplish nothing whatever.

Btw, about Midnight last night, my time, I talked by phone to Darla (who is CA right now & taking care of her kid sister, who is in the hospital & "not doing very well"). == As is usual for her, she's been reading this forum (while Valarie was sleeping) & said to me, "Honey, why on earth are you arguing with a handful of idiots, about things that they cannot and do not understand?"
Then she said, "Remember when you argue with a fool, other people cannot tell which person is the fool."
As is usual for her, Darla is 100% correct.= My beloved is WISE & often quite correct, when I'm not.

yours, tex

Last edited by DarlaG; 01/28/19. Reason: add
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
For anyone interested.......Liin Hunter and houndsman, Warner Glenn has an excellent book with some great pix of Jaguars (or the scarcity of) in So. AZ.

You used to be able to order an Autographed Copy directly from him but I'm not sure if those are still available.....or if he's still alive. I have one and cherish it.

https://colablancaproductions.com/products/eyes-of-fire-encounter-with-a-borderlands-jaguar

Warner photographed that jaguar in 1995 in the Peloncillo Mountains, just south of the Geronimo Trail where it crosses Cottonwood Pass--in New Mexico.

Almost exactly 10 years later, he was hunting in the San Luis Mountains down on the Diamond A Ranch (also in New Mexico). He left the guest hunter with his daughter Kelly and two of the Diamond A cowboys, and went looking for a couple of his dogs that had gone off on their own. After a bit, he heard them barking treed and rode up to find that they had bayed up another large male jaguar, just a mile or so north of the Mexican border.

The cat was backed up under a gnarled old juniper in a rocky crevice and was slapping and snarling at the dogs which were emboldened by Warner's arrival. He just had time to snap a few good pictures before he realized that the cat was getting ready to leave--and through the dogs was its only way out. He got his dogs gathered up and gave the jaguar some room, and it high-tailed it for Mexico.

His pictures from that episode are even better than the ones in "Eyes of Fire," but I don't believe that they have ever been published.

Last edited by mudhen; 01/28/19.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
mudhen,

Pardon me for asking. = So you ADMIT that there are at least some UNPUBLISHED photos of jaguars in the USA & that therefore demanding where other jaguar photos are "archived" makes your demand of me to tell you where the photos from the Texas-Mexico border are archived LOOK silly & perhaps even hypocritical?

Can you produce the photos that you speak of, so that everyone here can enjoy them? - I would like to see the photos.

yours, tex

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
mudhen,

Pardon me for asking. = So you ADMIT that there are at least some UNPUBLISHED photos of jaguars in the USA & that therefore demanding where other jaguar photos are "archived" makes your demand of me to tell you where the photos from the Texas-Mexico border are archived LOOK silly & perhaps even hypocritical?

Can you produce the photos that you speak of, so that everyone here can enjoy them? - I would like to see the photos.

yours, tex

The difference the person Ben is citing is has published pictures in recent history that are documented. So he is a creditable source as is Ben. Not being a ass but you're citing second hand information. If a bank camera " i think thats what you said" had caught the images you say they did it would be on the web, and sure my family that lives there would of heard about it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are a piece of work! grin

As far as I know, Warner has made his photos readily available for viewing to anyone who has asked politely. He never tried to hide that fact that he had taken the photos. In fact, he first announced the incident with the second jaguar at a public meeting of the Jaguar Conservation Team and showed a slide or two.

He and his daughter have a guiding business, and Kelly and Warner represented both Pentax and Ruger for years, doing public relations and publicity shots before they both gave it up. Kelly has also sold some of her other hunting photos for covers and illustrations in outdoor magazines, All of their photos are copyrighted, and I assume that if anyone wanted to publish them, they could negotiate with Warner and/or Kelly for the privilege. I have seen the photos in person and have a copies of a couple that were given to me by Warner's late wife Wendy, before she passed away.

The difference here is that I know where the photos are, I know the people that took them and a lot of other people know, as well. If you come out here, I can probably arrange for you to meet Warner and Kelly, look at some of their jaguar photos and talk to them about their experiences.

You apparently don't know where the photos to which you referred are, or who has them, nor have you seen them, yet you cite them to buttress your claims of recent jaguar sightings in the Lower Rio Grande Valley.

I need to take Darla's advice and quit arguing with idiots. smile

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
mudhen,

You just convinced me that my Darla was 100% CORRECT (as she usually is), too.

ADIOS.

yours, tex

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Very cool. A buddy of mine has a ranch near Abilene and I've spent a lot of time there. We've seen, what we think is a fairly large black mountain lion there on several occasions. At first we thought it might be a Jaguarundi, but we it's bigger than either a Jaguarundi or a bobcat. Apparently, mountain lions can have black coloration. Whenever we see it, it's only for a few seconds as the animal seems to be very wary and it quickly runs off into thick cover. We've been hoping to get a photo of it, but we've never had enough time before it disappears.

Deer carcass and a game cam should do it for y’all.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
stxhunter,

Did it cross your mind that the bank may have NOT released their video to keep from possibly scaring any "easily frightened" customers??
(That would be my GUESS & a GUESS is all that it is.)

When a VERY LARGE Tiger-shark (that weighed well over 1,000#) was caught in Galveston County, some years ago in "a well-known & popular public swimming area" & in about waist-deep water, the local Chamber of Commerce pressured THE GALVESTON DAILY NEWS to NOT even mention the event, lest it hurt the tourist business. = IF an event is not "reported" by the "mainstream press" & wasn't on TV, it didn't happen, in the mind of most everybody.
(Same thing, I would guess.)

In the event that I can obtain a copy of the video (YES, I've asked if a copy can be purchased.), some folks here will be (I would guess) more than a little embarrassed.

yours, tex

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
stxhunter,

Did it cross your mind that the bank may have NOT released their video to keep from possibly scaring any "easily frightened" customers??
(That would be my GUESS & a GUESS is all that it is.)

When a VERY LARGE Tiger-shark (that weighed well over 1,000#) was caught in Galveston County, some years ago in "a well-known & popular public swimming area" & in about waist-deep water, the local Chamber of Commerce pressured THE GALVESTON DAILY NEWS to NOT even mention the event, lest it hurt the tourist business. = IF an event is not "reported" by the "mainstream press" & wasn't on TV, it didn't happen, in the mind of most everybody.
(Same thing, I would guess.)

In the event that I can obtain a copy of the video (YES, I've asked if a copy can be purchased.), some folks here will be (I would guess) more than a little embarrassed.

yours, tex

Now that's funny....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
For anyone interested.......Liin Hunter and houndsman, Warner Glenn has an excellent book with some great pix of Jaguars (or the scarcity of) in So. AZ.

You used to be able to order an Autographed Copy directly from him but I'm not sure if those are still available.....or if he's still alive. I have one and cherish it.

https://colablancaproductions.com/products/eyes-of-fire-encounter-with-a-borderlands-jaguar

Warner photographed that jaguar in 1995 in the Peloncillo Mountains, just south of the Geronimo Trail where it crosses Cottonwood Pass--in New Mexico.

Almost exactly 10 years later, he was hunting in the San Luis Mountains down on the Diamond A Ranch (also in New Mexico). He left the guest hunter with his daughter Kelly and two of the Diamond A cowboys, and went looking for a couple of his dogs that had gone off on their own. After a bit, he heard them barking treed and rode up to find that they had bayed up another large male jaguar, just a mile or so north of the Mexican border.

The cat was backed up under a gnarled old juniper in a rocky crevice and was slapping and snarling at the dogs which were emboldened by Warner's arrival. He just had time to snap a few good pictures before he realized that the cat was getting ready to leave--and through the dogs was its only way out. He got his dogs gathered up and gave the jaguar some room, and it high-tailed it for Mexico.

His pictures from that episode are even better than the ones in "Eyes of Fire," but I don't believe that they have ever been published.

IIRC....he mentioned that encounter in the book (or maybe the footnotes) but yea....no pictures.

Eyes of Fire is fascinating in it's own right though and like I said......one of my prize possessions since he not only signed it but wrote me a short note on the inside cover page.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

yours, tex

And if you can't, YOU should be the one who is 'more than a little embarrassed'. (I would guess).....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22

yours, tex

And if you can't, YOU should be the one who is 'more than a little embarrassed'. (I would guess).....

They are way past the point of embarrassing themselves.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by huntsman22

yours, tex

This just keeps getting better...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, that was a lot of reading to catch up on.

FG, cool about the note inside the book. Very cool. Hope you have someone in your family to leave it to that enjoys these things.

Ingwe sir, perhaps not Lee 24 but instead William (?) of Cermalube fame?

tex/darla/ whoever, Some readers here, myself included, are quite put off by arcane acronyms and abbreviations. I understood LA to mean Louisiana as I was pretty sure there haven't been any jaguar sightings in Los Angeles (LA). And many of us also abhor statements and references to "facts" that are not corroborated in the post and when questioned we are directed to look it up ourselves. I've enjoyed some of your posts in the past, the ones in this thread not so much.

AND QUIT TYPING SO MUCH IN ALL CAPS!!!!!!!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GregW
Now that's funny....

smile

The old lesson about finding yourself in a hole, you might quit digging.... is lost.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
GregW,

SORRY, we were ordered "by higher government authority" to say no more about our place of assignment, than "a friendly nation or nations in Latin America", EVER..
(Since you seem to be deemed an authority by numerous members on jaguars, I feel sure that you can easily guess what nation(s) that I'm talking about.)

yours, tex

Lee24...is that you?

grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
GregW,

Lest anyone else be "confused", as I'm reasonably sure that you are NOT (& have not been), as far as I know WT deer don't eat any sort of grass, as they aren't "grazers", but rather are " browsers", who mostly seek out/eat leaves, tender stems/twigs & other "non-grass" items (like our family's EXPENSIVE "calf creep" out of the calf-feeders on our farm. = Deer really LOVE that stuff but I'd sooner not feed them calf creep.) for example..

Axis deer DO happily eat grass & therefore are NOT usually "competitors for food" with native WTs, unless they are near to starvation..

yours, tex

I hear that browser stuff all the time. Someone should tell the deer who keep the winter wheat grazed down to the dirt.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 53 invisible), 2,171 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,240
Posts18,504,578
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.