Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As a PA resident landowner and a member of a camp I see a lot of sides to this.

More opportunities for those that are not retired, dont have vacation or the college kids who cant get the Monday after Thanksgiving off from class. (My daughter said most of her professors are antihunting so she wouldnt be able to make up any missed labs or work).

Saturday opener would be better with Sunday hunting permitted. Either way as a manufacturing supervisor with 50 guys to work with Saturday opener would be a blessing!!!

Dropping the semi auto discussion was a huge loss for 2nd amendment rights. The old arguement "you cant use them for deer hunting would be gone".

I agree change is hard not always easy but we have to evolve and adapt. You dont want your camp tradition messed with. Dont friggin hunt Saturday. Stay at camp and do what you want. Dont want to hunt on Sunday THEN DONT...But for the sake of freedom dont tell me what I cant do on my own land on Sunday.

Dont like semi autos. Dont hunt with one..

I'm not really in favor of the early bear muzzleloader but the world doesnt end where "my archery season" begins. I will still hunt and kill deer regardless.

Hunt...
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by CBB
As a PA resident landowner and a member of a camp I see a lot of sides to this.

More opportunities for those that are not retired, dont have vacation or the college kids who cant get the Monday after Thanksgiving off from class. (My daughter said most of her professors are antihunting so she wouldnt be able to make up any missed labs or work).

Saturday opener would be better with Sunday hunting permitted. Either way as a manufacturing supervisor with 50 guys to work with Saturday opener would be a blessing!!!

Dropping the semi auto discussion was a huge loss for 2nd amendment rights. The old arguement "you cant use them for deer hunting would be gone".

I agree change is hard not always easy but we have to evolve and adapt. You dont want your camp tradition messed with. Dont friggin hunt Saturday. Stay at camp and do what you want. Dont want to hunt on Sunday THEN DONT...But for the sake of freedom dont tell me what I cant do on my own land on Sunday.

Dont like semi autos. Dont hunt with one..

I'm not really in favor of the early bear muzzleloader but the world doesnt end where "my archery season" begins. I will still hunt and kill deer regardless.

Exactly

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

After 56 PA deer seasons my better days are behind me. Recall in the 60’s and 70’s when one deer of either sex was it for the season. One could count 200 shots by 9am on opening day and strings of 15-20 doe (hopefully followed by a buck) were the order of the day. Still get out almost every day hoping to cross paths with a slammer, but my priorities have changed. These days go because it’s what I’ve always done, get the exercise and enjoy the woods. Killing a deer is near the bottom of the list (actually feel sorry for the deer). Visit one of the PA forums regularly and it’s humorous to read about some people complaining that there are no deer in the woods and others bragging about shooting a second or third doe ‘for the freezer’.

For what it’s worth, my votes on the issues:

Change opening day, nay

Semi-autos, yay (not really a major issue to me though)

Hunting on Sundays, yay

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fugum not enough Game Wardens to go around hunt whenever you want to and use whatever you want to kill them. So few hunters in the woods after noon opening day it does not matter anyway.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And go ahead and bait statewide too! Seems odd the only place CWD is not spread by baiting is where the PGC charges for a permit to do it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Terryk
Originally Posted by Steelhead
So bonding can only come from legislation or lack there of. Interesting stuff this thread has been

Camps need time to do things like clean up, eat big meals, play cards, and not feel rushed to hunt. 2 days of camp prep before the hunt, that is the definition of tradition. No tradition time, no tradition, less driving force to come back in November the next year. Not difficult to picture.

Seems if tradition is so fugging important, people would make it work. Just because a season opens on Saturday, instead of Monday, doesn't mean you can't do it just like you've been doing it.

My God, you people really do need government in your life. As mentioned elsewhere, looks like a bunch of fudds up there.

You're absolutely right. Just listen to Kingston and the others whine like babies because they're trying to give us an extra day of rifle season and it's a Saturday no less!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And Kingston hasn't been sharp enough to realize that nobody needs to be disadvantaged by a Saturday opener because participation will not be mandatory. All the guys who want their first day to be Monday will still be allowed to stay on that schedule. Should be a win-win but here in PA that is never the case.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

‘Tradition’ as it relates to PA deer hunting is almost entirely dependent upon the hunter’s age....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=moosemike]And Kingston hasn't been sharp enough to realize that nobody needs to be disadvantaged by a Saturday opener because participation will not be mandatory. All the guys who want their first day to be Monday will still be allowed to stay on that schedule. Should be a win-win but here in PA that is never the case. [/quote

Hunters have a legit gripe about deer numbers being down so giving them another day a Saturday none the less to be hunted is going to help bring them back? Maybe the archery season should be cut back to 4 weeks again.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I still say the Commissioners are on somebody's payroll! FUGUM get rid of them we did not have this issue prior to them becoming political appointees via the g
Govenor. Either have them voted in or combine the bankrupt F&BC with the PGC to one agency, do away with high end funded pension and benefit packages for both agencies put the money into fish & game habitat.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1bigdude
[quote=moosemike]And Kingston hasn't been sharp enough to realize that nobody needs to be disadvantaged by a Saturday opener because participation will not be mandatory. All the guys who want their first day to be Monday will still be allowed to stay on that schedule. Should be a win-win but here in PA that is never the case. [/quote

Hunters have a legit gripe about deer numbers being down so giving them another day a Saturday none the less to be hunted is going to help bring them back? Maybe the archery season should be cut back to 4 weeks again.

Some hunters do. There's plenty of places in this state where there's a surplus of deer. Trouble is guys want to hunt where the habitat was decimated by too many years of too many deer and not all of those places have regenerated into a deer friendly ecosystem. But guys hunt there because they killed a lot of deer there in the 80's and 90's and it's close to Camp. Traditions are often a prison.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by moosemike

Some hunters do. There's plenty of places in this state where there's a surplus of deer. Trouble is guys want to hunt where the habitat was decimated by too many years of too many deer and not all of those places have regenerated into a deer friendly ecosystem. But guys hunt there because they killed a lot of deer there in the 80's and 90's and it's close to Camp. Traditions are often a prison.

Guys hunt where they have permission to hunt you can not kill Bucks county deer if you can not get a place to hunt in Bucks county.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Guys hunt where they have permission to hunt you can not kill Bucks county deer if you can not get a place to hunt in Bucks county.

I'd not be surprised to learn you are from Bucks/Montgomery County.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wish I was got to have big bucks ($$$) to live there. I own a 220 acer farm in Northampton co. and another 300 acers in Potter co.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wish I was got to have big bucks ($$$) to live there. I own a 220 acer farm in Northampton co. and another 300 acers in Potter co.

200 acre farm in Northampton county is big bucks. BIG bucks!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We hunt all State Forest land in Clearfield County.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Ken_L
At least I will be able to hunt with my sons again. They always have to work on that Monday. The number of guys that want off for that day and can't get it is ridiculous. Our deer camp will explode if this actually gets passed in April.

Doesn't anyone get vacation pay in PA?

At a workplace full of guys, there are always several that want the Monday after Thanksgiving off.

Valid point. Don’t work with a lot of hunters so I didn’t think of that.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Pat85

200 acre farm in Northampton county is big bucks. BIG bucks!!

I got it on the market @ 8.9 million give or take a $100k if you are interested.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The only reason I'm for no change is I hunt the first two weekends of NY's rifle season, then come home Sunday night to night here . So I'd actually loose a day.

Really to me it makes more sense to allow Sunday hunting rather than fight over which day the season starts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really don't think it's going to happen. Semi Auto inclusion was supposed to be a done deal and that's already been shelved. I don't think they're gonna risk pissing off a majority of hunters by passing this.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (44mc, 35, 345dl, 338rcm, 300Sav, 7887mm08, 15 invisible), 1,599 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,979
Posts18,499,570
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.