Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 62 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 61 62
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
We're blessed in Michigan to have an abundance of public land to hunt. I rarely hunt private land and i don't bait. I'd rather others didn't bait in the area I hunt because it makes the big boys go nocturnal. You can watch it happen on game cameras. But if it's legal, then so be it. I'll hunt the way I want and others can do whatever it is they do.

Interestingly, baiting is banned starting in 2019 in the Lower. The U.P. can still bait, even though they had a positive case of CWD there. That was supposed to be the trigger to stop baiting immediately. 90% of the U.P. hunters bait. It's big business - the two week deer season is a make or break deal financially for many businesses up there. The DNR backed off it's own decree knowing the impact it would have on the U.P. economy. So all those semis loaded with sugar beets from the LP can keep rolling in the fall.

To the OP, I'm sorry, that sucks to lose your place to hunt - whether you pay for it or not. I imagine if I lived in Texas I'd have to have a lease. There's no way I'd not hunt. I really don't have an opinion on leasing as I've never done it. Now, if someone wanted to invite me down to hunt their lease so's I could render an expert opinion... wink

Baiting is the worst thing that has ever happened to Michigan deer hunting. That's what I told Georgia deer hunters a few years ago when they were considering starting.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by texasbatman
I find it funny that some Floridian "Mr. Mom" has the nerve to call anyone else a queer as he lets his wife bring home the bacon and is the boss of his house. You probably wear her panties also although I am sure you are such a little puss that you would never tell her. Able bodied men work and support their families and don't stay at home and sponge off the wife. Also funny are the guys from the Pacific Northwest thinking they have the right to attack anyone. They live in such $hithole States and probably always will. How typically liberal. "We are right and everyone else is wrong. You have to do things the way we want of you are wrong. Period". Sound familiar? Ya'll are all a bunch of whiney a$$ self important bitches that I will add to my ignore list since I have no tolerance for the likes of ya'll. Bunch of pathetic losers. I wouldn't put up with your crap around a real camp fire and I darn sure won't here.

Jim

Damn but Texans are kghunty.

Nope. Just tired of the BS from certain Aholes. Both northeast and northwest. Lot of good folks out there too but I am talking to those who are true blue aholes. They might even be smart enough to know who they are. Though doubtful. Also, please do stay in PA. We sure as hell don't need or want you here. That's YOU personally.

Jim

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
we killed 30 something hogs the last 4 days and most of them weren't on a feeder.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
we killed 30 something hogs the last 4 days and most of them weren't on a feeder.

I find most of the hogs here like the crop fields the best. Hard to keep them out. Keep up the good work Roger.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I won't belittle anyone for their chosen legal methods. We should all give each other the same courtesy.

Sure, its legal to shoot shoot them out of a pen too. Ya know, it’s legal and all, so it must be ok..

Just legal hunting..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those guys at the slaughter houses bagged more game than all of us...

Ya know, they probably think that’s hunting too. Sure would hate to upset them and tell them I disagreed..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly
I won't belittle anyone for their chosen legal methods. We should all give each other the same courtesy.

Sure, its legal to shoot shoot them out of a pen too. Ya know, it’s legal and all, so it must be ok..

Just legal hunting..

I’m sure we could sell hunts. We’ll have the “customer” get all geeked up In camo and deer piss. He can belly crawl 20 yards up on that pen and smoke a juiced up deer. We could charge about 30k to shoot out the truck window or 50 for the belly crawl hunt..

What’s sad is dumb [bleep] pretty much already pay to do it. Hunters, they are...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Youper
Originally Posted by Rockymtnhigh

Lmbo! I would like to see you hunt the area I grew up around in Texas without bait....Briar fortresses and thick oak and mesquite tree stands for miles...Try walking through it without making noise or getting tangled up in the briars...It's dang near impossible...There is a reason in some areas that people hunt in stands over bait...You'd never get close to a whitetail or turkey in some of the places I've hunted in Texas trying to walk and stalk...It is nothing like sitting up high out west and scoping the side of a mountain or drainage below...

'splain me how that would be more difficult than hunting a norther cedar swamp without bait.

I couldn't tell you how it would be different. Ive never hunted that environment. I can only tell you it's dang near impossible to sneak up on a very wary and skittish animal like a whitetail walking through the brush in the area I grew up in Texas, and that is why people choose to hunt in stands over bait or they just sit at the edge of a wheat field in the morning or evening..The whitetails around there are like ghosts when they are in the heavy brush and thick stands of trees...You'd be lucky to get close enough to spot them before they are gone...It is relatively flat in most areas, just a few small hills here and there so you don't have many natural high points to get above the trees and glass to look for animals...Most people build super high tower like stands to get above the trees and brush and get a better view...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
That grown men feel the need to name call, and condemn methods that other grown men use to hunt a damn deer is pretty sad.

There's also no need to justify how you hunt to any damn body. Not the anti's, and not other hunters.

This has sounded like a 3rd grade big dick contest from the onset.

Some of you need to get off your high horses.

I don’t need to justify [bleep]. It’s not hunting, but some of YOU, need to accept that fact.

I'm sorry you are so easily offended by what your fellow hunters do.

Hell... Who needs the anti's around with YOU among our ranks?

I also am having a very hard time remembering anyone forcing any method of hunting on you? Has that happened?

Did it just now dawn on you that 10's of millions of hunters may put out corn, hunt from blinds, or plant a food plot? Hell, I have clients that hire me to plant food plots every year.

Why are you suddenly so damned offended? Why now? I have another news flash for you, since you are so easily offended... That area you are fixing to move to probably has the highest concentration of deer blinds and feeders within a 100 mile radius that anywhere in the country...

Might think about that. No need to be offended daily is there?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Thanks for the reply. I guess I've been fortunate to have been able to utilize all those methods to take deer over the years. They've all been enjoyable and rewarding. Having said that, if I lived in an area where those methods were not available or practical, no doubt you'd find me shooting deer whatever way I could. I like venison, being outdoors and shooting deer too much to stay home just because I couldn't hunt the way I'd prefer.

Understood.

I'd dearly love to do the two-week pack trip in Alberta or hunt Browns in the Alaskan interior, or whatever, but I'm a man of limited means and I take what I can get and when I can get it. That said, I can be satisfied just roaming the wide-open deserts of west Texas with a rimfire rifle looking for jackrabbits, sneaking through the North Texas mesquite thickets with a lever gun, or sitting in a box blind with a bolt-action trying to stay awake. I enjoy those times, and if that's as good as it gets for me, then I'm okay with it.

Sounds pretty good to me, as well.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Stalk naked through the mesquite and prickly pear and use your bare hands, or an oatmeal raisin cookie in one hand and a ball-peen hammer in the other, if that's how you want to hunt.

Does this work, and would you recommend this method? The lease I lost last fall had prickly pear and mesquite in great abundance...I'm afraid I may have not taken full advantage of my opportunities while I had it.

grin

Would you be attempting this with a single shot ball peen hammer, or a battery powered assault hammer with extended magazine and the shoulder thingy that goes up?

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Youper

Lmbo! I would like to see you hunt the area I grew up around in Texas without bait....Briar fortresses and thick oak and mesquite tree stands for miles...Try walking through it without making noise or getting tangled up in the briars...It's dang near impossible...There is a reason in some areas that people hunt in stands over bait...You'd never get close to a whitetail or turkey in some of the places I've hunted in Texas trying to walk and stalk...It is nothing like sitting up high out west and scoping the side of a mountain or drainage below...

'splain me how that would be more difficult than hunting a norther cedar swamp without bait.

I couldn't tell you how it would be different. Ive never hunted that environment. I can only tell you it's dang near impossible to sneak up on a very wary and skittish animal like a whitetail walking through the brush in the area I grew up in Texas, and that is why people choose to hunt in stands over bait or they just sit at the edge of a wheat field in the morning or evening..The whitetails around there are like ghosts when they are in the heavy brush and thick stands of trees...You'd be lucky to get close enough to spot them before they are gone...It is relatively flat in most areas, just a few small hills here and there so you don't have many natural high points to get above the trees and glass to look for animals...Most people build super high tower like stands to get above the trees and brush and get a better view...

Sounds like it might work for a deer drive. One or two slow pushers, and a half dozen shooters at likely points. We have one piece of river bottom land between fields and river that gets hunted this way. Otherwise. It's so tangled and overgrown that they are long gone by the time you spot 'em. Done right, a drive produces slow walkers not running deer.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That grown men feel the need to name call, and condemn methods that other grown men use to hunt a damn deer is pretty sad.

There's also no need to justify how you hunt to any damn body. Not the anti's, and not other hunters.

This has sounded like a 3rd grade big dick contest from the onset.

Some of you need to get off your high horses.

I don’t need to justify [bleep]. It’s not hunting, but some of YOU, need to accept that fact.

I'm sorry you are so easily offended by what your fellow hunters do.

Hell... Who needs the anti's around with YOU among our ranks?

I also am having a very hard time remembering anyone forcing any method of hunting on you? Has that happened?

Did it just now dawn on you that 10's of millions of hunters may put out corn, hunt from blinds, or plant a food plot? Hell, I have clients that hire me to plant food plots every year.

Why are you suddenly so damned offended? Why now? I have another news flash for you, since you are so easily offended... That area you are fixing to move to probably has the highest concentration of deer blinds and feeders within a 100 mile radius that anywhere in the country...

Might think about that. No need to be offended daily is there?

I’m not offended, you all are about my opinion. And if you really agreed the way you harvest animals is hunting, you wouldn’t be.

I’m aware how it is where I’m moving. I won’t pay 4K and up to kill something that way. Especially kill something and act like I earned it or pretend it was hunting.

Again, all this is JMO. But like you guys, I’m a hard headed sob too..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
I find it funny that some Floridian "Mr. Mom" has the nerve to call anyone else a queer as he lets his wife bring home the bacon and is the boss of his house. You probably wear her panties also although I am sure you are such a little puss that you would never tell her. Able bodied men work and support their families and don't stay at home and sponge off the wife. Also funny are the guys from the Pacific Northwest thinking they have the right to attack anyone. They live in such $hithole States and probably always will. How typically liberal. "We are right and everyone else is wrong. You have to do things the way we want of you are wrong. Period". Sound familiar? Ya'll are all a bunch of whiney a$$ self important bitches that I will add to my ignore list since I have no tolerance for the likes of ya'll. Bunch of pathetic losers. I wouldn't put up with your crap around a real camp fire and I darn sure won't here.

Jim

Damn but Texans are kghunty.

Nope. Just tired of the BS from certain Aholes. Both northeast and northwest. Lot of good folks out there too but I am talking to those who are true blue aholes. They might even be smart enough to know who they are. Though doubtful. Also, please do stay in PA. We sure as hell don't need or want you here. That's YOU personally.

Jim

I'd never be able to tolerate y'alls tender ego's anyhow.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So, you aren't offended, but you call good people names over a hunting method that you don't approve of?

Plus, you seem to want other people to be forced to accept that your opinion of someone else's method isn't hunting.

Your harsh words, name calling, and language seems to imply you are very offended.

You keep saying stuff like:.... "if you really agreed the way you harvest animals is hunting, you wouldn’t be."

How do you know how I hunt? whistle

This past year, I did indeed put together a deer feeder and hammer together a blind. I also feed corn at other places on the ranch here besides that place. I feed deer corn, mineral, and have even put in oats here.

The season this past fall I killed one deer. Killed it while still hunting. Actually shot it offhand at about 125 yards.

[Linked Image]

Does that meet your stringent ethics requirement?

I feed all sorts of wildlife. I got that feeder so that I don't have to carry corn to where it's located every single day. If it's okay with you, I will probably kill as many wild hogs off of that feeder as I can. Furthermore, if I am watching that feeder and a cull buck comes up there, MAY shoot it too. Or if my grandson is with me, I MAY let him.

Here he is with a hog that he shot under one of those evil feeders at my brothers ranch not far from where you are moving to in Llano County. Notice the evil corn still on the ground...

[Linked Image]

I'm sure you would enjoy meeting him and informing him that what he did wasn't hunting.

I hope that AR15 doesn't offend you. I gave it to my son. It doesn't offend him or my grandkids much. They kill most of what they eat with it.

The buck I shot, I got with my AR10 .308. It had a 10 round magazine. I'm sure some hunters here will be offended by that as well. laugh

Actually, I really don't give a damn who is offended by how myself, my family, or my friends hunt. I do think that to condemn and ridicule people for doing something different than they do is pretty silly.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice shooting....

Off to work..

Later bitches...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I didn’t know corn was evil. I sure like shooting and catching pigs with that evil corn.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory

Stalk naked through the mesquite and prickly pear and use your bare hands, or an oatmeal raisin cookie in one hand and a ball-peen hammer in the other, if that's how you want to hunt.

Does this work, and would you recommend this method? The lease I lost last fall had prickly pear and mesquite in great abundance...I'm afraid I may have not taken full advantage of my opportunities while I had it.

grin

Would you be attempting this with a single shot ball peen hammer, or a battery powered assault hammer with extended magazine and the shoulder thingy that goes up?

Not sure. I'd have to check the regs.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ya know, it could well be that if the old timers saw all the stuff we use to take game in this day and age---and I'm talking about fine optics, hot dog rounds like the Ultra Mags, high-tech rifles, GPS, and all that stuff, they might say "that ain't hunting!"

Draw the lines for yourself as you see fit, as long as it's legal, and enjoy. Allow others the same luxury, and try not to criticize and divide. We don't need that, we need to stick together.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ya know, it could well be that if the old timers saw all the stuff we use to take game in this day and age---and I'm talking about fine optics, hot dog rounds like the Ultra Mags, high-tech rifles, GPS, and all that stuff, they might say "that ain't hunting!"
Outside of the campfire, not as many folks use those things as you'd think. I've killed most of my deer over the years with a pair of lever action .30-30's. One scoped and one iron sighted. I do own a gps but have never used it, a Christmas gift from a well meaning aunt years ago. I've never used a game cam in my life and the only magnum rifle in my inventory is a .22 rimfire magnum. Hell my best friend and life long hunting partner kills more deer than CWD and still uses an old Mossberg slug gun most of the time.

Page 21 of 62 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (338rcm, 160user, 300_savage, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 14 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,494
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.