Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bayouhunter
Yep.. sure do.. as an aside.. what is the suggested torque? My front seemed awfully tight. 60ish when I removed stock to adjust trigger.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Do you still need two different torx heads to remove the stock?

IIRC, 80 inch pounds. Gonna need a new driver if I ever take it apart. No need so far.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Bayouhunter
Yep.. sure do.. as an aside.. what is the suggested torque? My front seemed awfully tight. 60ish when I removed stock to adjust trigger.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Do you still need two different torx heads to remove the stock?

IIRC, 80 inch pounds. Gonna need a new driver if I ever take it apart. No need so far.

Thanks..
Mine is at 60-65 I think.. will have to recheck.
Didn’t mean to derail thread.. apologies to OP

Last edited by Bayouhunter; 03/16/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Montana stock on the FC would be Nirvana, IMO.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

What are the biggest differences in the stocks? I’ve never handled a Montana .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They sound expensive.

Laughing!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I sold mine because of stock ergonomics that don't work well for me, and the inability to get the scope low enough for good cheek weld with currently available mounts.

The mounts are pretty limited. I went with the rail. Does anyone know why more companies aren’t producing bases ?

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 03/16/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cite the "missing" mounts.

Hint..........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
cas6969 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is what wasting your time looks like.

[Linked Image]

No one cares what you think, they only respond to your posts to taunt you like the "special" kid at school.

Last edited by cas6969; 03/16/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

The Montana has a little shorter LOP, is more slender in the wrist, and the grip is ambidextrous.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

The Montana has a little shorter LOP, is more slender in the wrist, and the grip is ambidextrous.

Thank you

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cas6969
This is what wasting your time looks like.

[Linked Image]

No one cares what you think, they only respond to your posts to taunt you like the "special" kid at school.

My view as well

cas6969 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Since I can't see his posts, maybe someone else can post some irrelevant pictures of fish.

W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Tried a FC in 6.5 CM with intentions of long range mountain humping. I tried my best, but could not shoot the lightweight as good as an 8-9 pound rifle. I loved everything about the rifle... just couldn't shoot it well. The fault was on me, not the rifle. Now, i demand more from the rifle/scope/ammo/shooter experience than most people. My buddy was able to shoot it better than me. He has them in 243 and 308. With a Swaro 3-9/10 on top, they are a dream. ( All my opinion).

If they come out with a 280AI threaded... i WILL get one and LEARN to shoot lightweights.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VernAK
I don't care for the open slot beside the bolt that allows snow and crud to get into the magazine.

I wouldn’t own a Barrett without a no.2 bbl. contour, otherwise I’d sooner have the the Kimber Montana.

Since I own a 270 Barrett with a no.2 contour, my only complaint is that no X-low Talley Lightweight’s are available, and the fact the small diameter bolt creates a gap open to the mag well. I’d have given up a couple ounces to have a full sized bolt. OTOH, it’s not a deal killer. You live with it...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I agree it's a bit challenging from the bench trying for tiny groups, but the two field shots I took, fairly close at foxes last month, seemed super easy, the rifle going off almost by itself at the right instant. I'll get in some serious practice in the off season and see if my impression is correct. It definitely carries easily, and I've not felt a need to switch shoulders while carrying it slung into my stand like some others. It's common for fans of heavy rifles to opine that one's better off losing ten pounds of body weight than worry about a pound or two of rifle weight, but my arms and shoulders don't get tired from my body weight, but they do from what I carry with them, and that can affect my shooting, especially on quick offhand shots.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I had a hard-on for one of these until i finally got a chance to handle one, I got over it real fast when i shouldered it and found for Me it does not compare to the excellent ergo's of My Kimber Montana's and Sub Alpine rifles....I also did not care for the way the bolt handle attached, it looked like a weak point to me.....Hb

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

That too.

The longer mag box of the FC has me spoiled now. The 2.82” of the Montana is quite annoying now.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I had a hard-on for one of these until i finally got a chance to handle one, I got over it real fast when i shouldered it and found for Me it does not compare to the excellent ergo's of My Kimber Montana's and Sub Alpine rifles....I also did not care for the way the bolt handle attached, it looked like a weak point to me.....Hb

People seem to question the strength of the bolt handle attachment. I can tell you the design was physically tested with an automated machine that violently cycled the bolt locked and unclocked thousands of times. It was also subjected to stress in various directions. It really is good to go. The design intent was to have a robust attachment that did not induce heat to the bolt from soldering or welding and would allow for future modularity if a different bolt handle was desired. Raising the temp of the hardened steel to temps over 1000F can seriously affect the metallurgy in the high wear cam area at the rear of a bolt.

That may not change opinions but just wanted to provide a little back-story.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Clearly it's not a shortcut, but rather a well thought-out solution. I like one-piece bolts, but that usually means forging (Mausers, Howas) or casting (Rugers & MRC). The FC handle is dovetailed into a recess on the bolt body and pinned into place. The dovetail takes the strain. Not just Remingtons, but also the occasional post-64 M70s have trouble with the handles, not common, but possible, and a real thing, not just bashing.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
This is off the subject but I'm asking away.......since this thread is about why did you sell .... did anybody find the accuracy not up to par compared to the price? I'm not knocking the Fieldcraft cause I never owned one but a premium price should demand premium accuracy.
I have been looking at the Fieldcrafts so accuracy is a concern but from the comments the LOP is HUGE concern also.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 12344mag, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,824
Posts18,477,888
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.