Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i have tried to like them several times but find the eye box to be hard to get behind....

I prefer the zeiss/meopta 4-14x44 scope and they are on sale at cameland and probably cheaper than the leupolds currently

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Boatanchor/handco,

Thanks for the replies đź‘Ť

I don’t like a messy reticle and prefer the standard or even a fine duplex.
So it looks like my mind is made up, now.

I can buy the scope in 30mm with sf and duplex for $533.
I’ll get it ordered this week and go find some rings.

Will be interested in what you think of this scope. I'm leaning 3.5-10x40 - it's a little leaner with the 1" tube (and I already have Tally 1" rings) 10X top end should be fine without side focus and it primarily is a big game hunting rifle. 500 yards is still a very long shot to me. But - a Nightforce SVH 3-10 is still weighing on my mind - buy once, cry once?

Our needs are different. Mine is for a light varminter where I need a bit more power and better resolution than I’m currently getting.
If it were for a big game rifle, I’d definitely lean towards the 3.5x10 or more so the 2.5x8.... my fav.

This rig will see way more shooting than carrying, while my game guns get to go for long walks.
I like your thinking here: “Buy once, cry once”...... this will be a $100 saddle on a $20 horse.

Don't really think of my Bergara Woodsman as a $20 horse, but if it is - it runs like a racehorse. I almost have myself talked into a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I almost have myself talked into a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42.

Keep talkin'.

I have that scope and really like it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Centershot,

Lots of good feedback here! I want to address a couple technical topics that have come up. You mention a concern about parallax and high power in your original message, but not to worry. A higher power optic is not inherently more less susceptible to parallax than a lower power scope. What is more important is objective lens size. You will experience more parallax (The change in point of impact due to a change in eye position) on a scope with a larger objective lens. The reason you usually see less parallax when you turn a scope's magnification down is not because of the reduced power, but because your image is coming from a smaller portion of the objective lens.

Gene270 mentioned eyebox, and that is a real trade off to consider. With something like a 4.5-14 power scope, it will be much more important that you mount it carefully fro eye relief. We recommend positioning the scope as far from your eye as you can at high power and still get a full field of view. This will help ensure you get the best image at all magnifications. Carrying it in the field at a lower power will help you get on target faster as well. Hope this is helpful!

Be Bold. Be Adventurous. Be Relentless. // We do not actively engage in threads or respond to private messages. For customer service help, please contact us directly at 1-800-LEUPOLD or [email protected].
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by LeupoldOptics
Centershot,

Lots of good feedback here! I want to address a couple technical topics that have come up. You mention a concern about parallax and high power in your original message, but not to worry. A higher power optic is not inherently more less susceptible to parallax than a lower power scope. What is more important is objective lens size. You will experience more parallax (The change in point of impact due to a change in eye position) on a scope with a larger objective lens. The reason you usually see less parallax when you turn a scope's magnification down is not because of the reduced power, but because your image is coming from a smaller portion of the objective lens.

Gene270 mentioned eyebox, and that is a real trade off to consider. With something like a 4.5-14 power scope, it will be much more important that you mount it carefully fro eye relief. We recommend positioning the scope as far from your eye as you can at high power and still get a full field of view. This will help ensure you get the best image at all magnifications. Carrying it in the field at a lower power will help you get on target faster as well. Hope this is helpful!

That is good information, I didn’t know that!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by LeupoldOptics
Centershot,

That is good information, I didn’t know that!

That IS good information đź‘Ť
OK, the scope is here and mounted. I did as recommended above by Leupold and set my eye relief while on 14x.
It sits nice and low in the Leupold standard mounts (windage adj base) and Low rings.

Clears both the bolt and barrel just fine. I like my scopes mounted as close to the bore as possible.
It’s been pouring rain here in S Oregon, so haven’t gotten to the range yet - will bore sight it tomorrow and shoot ASAP.
It’s obviously a huge improvement over the inexpensive scope it replaced.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My Vx-3i was toast right out of the box... sending it in for warranty repairs today.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've used one extensively over the last 2 years. It has done everything I wanted it to do. To my eyes, good glass for the money, clear, pretty bright during dawn and dusk. I'd buy another.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by russm86
My Vx-3i was toast right out of the box... sending it in for warranty repairs today.

Only time I have seen this happen is if it is a counterfeit, you might want to talk with Leupold first and give them the serial#

Did you buy it on E-BAY ?????

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have at least 25 of them, nary a problem with them.

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by russm86

Only time I have seen this happen is if it is a counterfeit, you might want to talk with Leupold first and give them the serial#

Did you buy it on E-BAY ?????

Nope, purchased through a very reputable retailer up here in Canada that is listed as Leupold dealer. If it's a knockoff they did a damn good job as it's identical in every way to the same scope I have sitting on another rifle just won't shoot or hold zero. It was delivered by mail though so who knows how it was treated in transit...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM

I have been looking at these models in 30mm and 1'', also looked at the VX5 3-15, currently debating between the 3 for my 85 Finnlight 270 wsm

I have owned about dozen and a half or so of the Vari-X III, VX-III, VX-3, and VX-3i 4.4-14x40mm scopes, and I liked every one of them (except the single non-AO version I had). Still own 3 of them I think. I also have several VX-5s and I'd say the VX-5HD 3-15x really outclasses the VX-3i line. If you have not looked through one, you really ought to check one out to find out whether or not you think the price difference is justified. I think it's worth the difference and I'd upgrade everything to VX-5 if I could afford it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 204guy, 219DW, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,230
Posts18,504,349
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.