Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
At today's Basic Handgun class, I had two terrific people show up with handguns that were entirely unsuitable for their needs. They're beginning handgunners. Good people, but unused to shooting a handgun.

#1 had a 40 S&W Kahr, a relatively light, compact, self-defense firearm.

#2 had a classic, 30 year old 380 AMT pocket pistol/belly gun

Neither student could shoot either of those things worth a hoot! No surprise. The 40 in that lightweight gun kicks like a mule. The AMT 380 kept trying to take bites out of the web between thumb and forefinger of the other student.

I stopped the madness quickly, and substituted my old faithful Ruger 22/45 with 40 grain CCI ammo.
[Linked Image]

Wow... Within a few shots, each of them was shooting nice, TIGHT, groups... Really nice, TIGHT groups.

Shoot a gun that doesn't kick the snot out of you, particularly if you're a beginner. Results will be better. If you've got someone who wants teaching... Consider handing them your 22, not your hot-loaded 44... Learn gun safety. Learn the fundamentals of marksmanship. Then, when all that is solid, consider bumping up to a more powerful handgun. But not until then. Please.

Thanks, Guy

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am afraid of recoil. Give me a 22 RF or a 44 magnum with 2.5 gr Bullseye and a 180 gr cast and I am good to go for 5 or 6 shots

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
I am afraid of recoil. Give me a 22 RF or a 44 magnum with 2.5 gr Bullseye and a 180 gr cast and I am good to go for 5 or 6 shots

I'm not afraid of recoil.

Heck I shoot a 500 S&W revolver for fun, in my mid 60's.

But I understand the consequences of dealing with unpleasant recoil. These two good people shot so very well with the 22, but were not even close to good with the tiny AMT 380 or the hard-kicking 40 S&W...

I'm glad they accepted my offer to shoot the 22 semi-auto!

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 40 S&W is "hard kicking" ?

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good job....

When I run beginner courses I provide all the guns and ammo...S&W .22 revolvers...later transition to a Ruger or Beratta .22 semi-auto...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

In a lightweight like a Kahr it sure does.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N

For a new shooter? Absolutely.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Of course a beginner is going to perceive it as a hard kick, especially if it's the plastic frame version. Same for that little AMT - maybe worse, 'cause its an inferior grip shape and blowback besides. Nothing surprising there. I've seen noobs show up with J-frame snubbys too, and having the same trouble. OTOH - a full-size 9mm with standard pressure loads is usually no problem. Likewise, a medium frame 4" revolver with a mild .38 spl load.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
when i was about six or seven, i conned by dad into to taking me out to the dump, to fire his colt SAA in 38wcf. It was about dusk and i think the fireball was about two feet. I didn't touch that gun for many years later, probably his idea.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A 22 is definitely THE place to start and it makes even guys who shoot bigger stuff better too.

There isn't anyone who can't benefit from a .22. It's only pitfall is that it shoots fairly flat and makes some of the shots beyond 50 easier than lobbing 38's and other sedate stuff out there!

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Of course a beginner is going to perceive it as a hard kick, especially if it's the plastic frame version. Same for that little AMT - maybe worse, 'cause its an inferior grip shape and blowback besides. Nothing surprising there. I've seen noobs show up with J-frame snubbys too, and having the same trouble. OTOH - a full-size 9mm with standard pressure loads is usually no problem. Likewise, a medium frame 4" revolver with a mild .38 spl load.

Yep.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't like the 40's recoil.
Only have shot a few, Glocks, a Sig and a Beretta.
It is not really a big kick, but it's nasty.

Much prefer a 45 1911, or Ruger single actions in 44 or 45 colt.
Bigger recoil, but it is more more pleasant.

A light Kahr would not be fun.

Heck, I think the P3AT is nasty for what it is.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
when i was about six or seven, i conned by dad into to taking me out to the dump, to fire his colt SAA in 38wcf. It was about dusk and i think the fireball was about two feet. I didn't touch that gun for many years later, probably his idea.

I shot Dad’s old 1911 at about that age too. That’s what’s wrong with me now. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I don't like the 40's recoil.
Only have shot a few, Glocks, a Sig and a Beretta.
It is not really a big kick, but it's nasty.

Much prefer a 45 1911, or Ruger single actions in 44 or 45 colt.
Bigger recoil, but it is more more pleasant.

A light Kahr would not be fun.

Heck, I think the P3AT is nasty for what it is.

.40 S&W out of a 1911 is actually quite pleasant......if you're not a lightweight. The P3AT is a pussycat, compared to the AMT 380.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks to the OP.

Far too many folks think beginners and or kids and ladies should start with the same thing we macho men are shooting. Whether it be a hot handgun round, high powered magnum rifle, or a 12 gauge.

I just recently purchased my first 22 cal revolver, a bisley single six. But the kids have always been supplied with special low recoil rounds for rifles and handguns. I make rounds for the 327 SA, DA, and lever rifle which shoot like a 22 WRM, and 41 mags which shoot like a 38 special.

The kids and ladies all enjoy shooting the light loads very much.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I used to be an NRA instructor in Alaska and we always started everyone with a Ruger 22/45 and let them shoot the 22LR, then we went to revolvers, mostly Six series Rugers of various configurations and k frame Smiths most with Hogue grips and let them choose what felt good to them and shoot the light 38 specials. Then they would come in and clean the guns. Never had any complaints from the ladies on either gun.
By providing the guns, we had no problems like that, or with people bringing in loaded guns. We also provided the ammo,

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Absolutely.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I work new guys backwards. I start with the .475 or .500 JRH in my BFR's until they are comfortable with them. The are fairly heavy too. Then a .44 mag is nothing at all and going down to a .22 is a pleasure.
I found the mental problem as you go up is hard to get over. Going from a .22 to a .38 still had anticipation for recoil but after a .500, they showed no flinch.
My daughter is skinny and shot a 20 ga for clays. She always missed the first clay but would run the next hundred. We ran out of shells so I gave her my 12 ga and she missed the first again but never missed another. She loves my 1911's and she bought an 8mm Mauser. She joined the Marines and shot the highest score ever shot, man or woman.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
I work new guys backwards. I start with the .475 or .500 JRH in my BFR's until they are comfortable with them. The are fairly heavy too. Then a .44 mag is nothing at all and going down to a .22 is a pleasure.
I found the mental problem as you go up is hard to get over. Going from a .22 to a .38 still had anticipation for recoil but after a .500, they showed no flinch.
My daughter is skinny and shot a 20 ga for clays. She always missed the first clay but would run the next hundred. We ran out of shells so I gave her my 12 ga and she missed the first again but never missed another. She loves my 1911's and she bought an 8mm Mauser. She joined the Marines and shot the highest score ever shot, man or woman.

LMFAO.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In theory I agree. I would not go above a 44 Mag or heavy loaded 45 Colt though with a new shooter. It is nothing but a mental thing when it comes to recoil.

Originally Posted by bfrshooter

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

204 members (1eyedmule, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 2UP, 20 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.