Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This Ruger .270 is like most of the others, killed a bunch of stuff without batting an eye. Owner wanted to spice it up so we fitted a Bartlein 2b chambered in .280AI .317 neck .100 throat. I had the pleasure of grinding out the stock to fit said barrel. First paddle I’ve molested and it felt great.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Those were tough stocks. You did a nice job.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
It’d be abuse to have to carry one hunting. Lol .kidding

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Love those boatpaddle stocks.

Have 3 (.30-06 stls, .300WM and ,338WM stls) and still kicking myself for not purchasing a stainless .270 some years back at the Tanner gun show in Denver. IIRC, the seller wanted the ridiculous price of $225 and I offered $215. Went back first thing the next day and someone else was filling out the paperwork on it.

Snooze and lose.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

They ARE heavy sons o' guns !!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Huh?

About 31ounces as they come from the factory, 33 with a plate and Limbsaver. [url]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../re-ruger-boat-paddle-weight#Post4984291[/url\

Dang near indestructible and lighter than their wood counterparts.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

They ARE ugly as Rosie's butt sons o' guns !!!

Fixt.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta laugh.

They build a gun that no one wants, it doesn't sell all that well.
They end up at a clearance place at fire sale prices.

Then they are gone.

And someone notices "you know, they only made so many of them".

Suddenly, that ugly, weird, or oddball, is "exotic" and better than sex!

And the object of desire.

People are nucking futts!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My Ruger 77 Mk II in 280 is a battleship grade rifle. It has seen some rough treatment by accident but still keeps going. One day it locked up on me while stroking the bolt. When I looked down on it to determine the issue, it had a ton of fine silt on/in the action from riding on the ATV. Pretty rugged action.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Huh?

About 31ounces as they come from the factory, 33 with a plate and Limbsaver. [url]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../re-ruger-boat-paddle-weight#Post4984291[/url\

Dang near indestructible and lighter than their wood counterparts.

To clarify...…...……………. I meant the rifle in whole. Not just the stock.

Have one in .300 Win Mag. It's no backpack rifle. Shoots very well and has accounted for a vast amount of venison. Ugly as a mud fence.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I never weighed one of the boat paddle stocks, but most factory wood or synthetics I have weighed were 30-32 oz. Exactly the same as the boat paddle stocks. ( according to the above link). I've had a couple of those rifles and couldn't get rid of the stocks fast enough. I ordered one of the newer Hawkeye synthetics for one rifle and simply sold the other rifle rather than deal with the stock.

I never found one to be any tougher or a bit more accurate. They are slick as snot to try to hold, the sling attachments suck, and the tiny butt plate concentrates recoil making them kick a lot harder than they should.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JMR40
I never weighed one of the boat paddle stocks, but most factory wood or synthetics I have weighed were 30-32 oz. Exactly the same as the boat paddle stocks. ( according to the above link). I've had a couple of those rifles and couldn't get rid of the stocks fast enough. I ordered one of the newer Hawkeye synthetics for one rifle and simply sold the other rifle rather than deal with the stock.

I never found one to be any tougher or a bit more accurate. They are slick as snot to try to hold, the sling attachments suck, and the tiny butt plate concentrates recoil making them kick a lot harder than they should.

But if you should ever be hunting and find yourself up a creek...…………………..

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would be interested to know the rockwell hardness of the buttpad! Brutal in the 338 I had.

Dog I rescued in January

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Yeah. They are a fine backup boat paddle if you find yourself up a creek without one.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rickt300
I would be interested to know the rockwell hardness of the buttpad! Brutal in the 338 I had.

Put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it and they are no problem at all. I've shot them a lot. No problem what so ever.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Always wanted one of those butt ugly guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Must be a YMMV thing....... The difference in actual and/or felt recoil between a .300 Win and a .338 Win in like rifles is negligible. I never found the .300 with the factory pad to be at all hateful. Considering the weight of the gun, it's actually, likely the softest shooting .300 I own or close to it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Gotta laugh.
They build a gun that no one wants, it doesn't sell all that well.
They end up at a clearance place at fire sale prices.
Then they are gone.
And someone notices "you know, they only made so many of them".
Suddenly, that ugly, weird, or oddball, is "exotic" and better than sex!
And the object of desire.

People are nucking futts!

Bought my .300WM (blue) ror $395 on closeout at Sportsman's Warehouse in 2003. Figured it would satisfy my curiosity about the .300WM. It did. Heavier barrel than my 7mm RM, heavier overall, no more effective that I can tell. But the stock was relatively lightweight, sturdy and I didn't give a fig if it got dinged up.

In April of 2010 I bought a stainless MKII .30-06 with a brown laminate stock, which I still have. But I also bought a take-off boatpaddle, which it has worn ever since. Later in 2010 I built a custom MKII .338WM using a naked action, a take-off barrel from Caribou Jack (aka Bear Paw Jack) and a boat paddle purchased from gunpartscorp.com for about $75.

Love all of them. All have been on successful elk hunts, multiples for the .300WM and .338WM. Wet weather? Mud? Snow/ice? Dings and dents? Who cares?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not fun, for sure. Put a Limbsaver on mine, problem solved.

.300WM, .30-06, .338WM
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/13/19.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Must be a YMMV thing....... The difference in actual and/or felt recoil between a .300 Win and a .338 Win in like rifles is negligible. I never found the .300 with the factory pad to be at all hateful. Considering the weight of the gun, it's actually, likely the softest shooting .300 I own or close to it.

I disagree on that! The 338 with 250 grain bullets loaded to top velocities out of that stainless Ruger I had was brutal! That rifle broke 4 scopes during initial sight in, ended up using an old weaver 4x. It did however with the one exception provide quick kills and was one rugged rifle.

Dog I rescued in January

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.