Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ive been a Leupold fan for decades, have quite a few as well as Zeiss, Swaroski and S&B but always thought Leupold was a durable and effective choice for most applications. I've been a bit distracted the last few years but I see that Nightforce has become very popular, what's that all about? How do they (L & NF) compare these days?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll get the popcorn..... wink

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You might as well have kicked someones cat

There is nothing wrong with Leupold, yes there has been some reported issues, but consider how much of the market they have.

NF is the 6.5 Creed of the optics world. NF has their place among the others, it's just not everyone's cup of tea. I like them, have a couple but they are heavy and have no place on a trim hunting rifle.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Darryle

There is nothing wrong with Leupold, yes there has been some reported issues, but consider how much of the market they have.

NF is the 6.5 Creed of the optics world. NF has their place among the others, it's just not everyone's cup of tea. I like them, have a couple but they are heavy and have no place on a trim hunting rifle.

If I was Leupold, I'd be looking at how much of the market they've lost.

And I'd disagree about "having no place on a trim hunting rifle." It all depends on the application, and reliability/duraability translates into a little more weight, weight that's best trimmed from other parts of the rifle for certain applications.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Leupold still seems to be the best scope for the $, at least in the under the $1,000 price point. Please educate me if I'm wrong, I'm not opposed to learning something here.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
oh boy here we go.
put on ya rubber boots boys,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, y’all can buy your heavy Chernobyl metal, chinese sweat shop scopes if you want.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I added up all the dollars I've spent on Leupolds which went on to have massive zero loss or stopped adjusting anywhere close to correctly, I'd come up with a sum somewhere around the cost of a Nightforce.
Take that information as you wish.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That information is as worthless as mine.

I’ve pounded them on my 444 rifles and they haven’t failed

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, I've had some old Leupolds that worked great, too.

Funny thing....when some people hear info that contradicts their own experiences, they listen and learn. Others bury their heads in the sand.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
That information is as worthless as mine.

I’ve pounded them on my 444 rifles and they haven’t failed

Same here. I have had a countless number of Leupolds over the past 25 years and have never had an issue. I have had them on anything from a 22LR all the way up to 45-70’s and slug guns and never had one go belly up.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Wow.

I have a NF on my Creed.

Otherwise, not knowing any better, I could be shooting a .270 wearing a Leupold.

Good thing I’m here on the Fire.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some like to flog Leupold for their own lack shooting skills. Others have had real issues with them. Both these statements are as true as a NF internals. 😎

Last edited by Beaver10; 05/17/19.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have new ones that hold up too. I really don’t care what a fella uses.

Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Funny thing....when some people hear info that contradicts their own experiences, they listen and learn. Others bury their heads in the sand.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

It's difficult to put into proper context though without good comparative statistics. Absent that, one's own experiences will carry more weight.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Ive been a Leupold fan for decades, have quite a few as well as Zeiss, Swaroski and S&B but always thought Leupold was a durable and effective choice for most applications. I've been a bit distracted the last few years but I see that Nightforce has become very popular, what's that all about? How do they (L & NF) compare these days?

is this a joke post? are you serious? lets just sum it up if its not. Leupold's suck mechanically. They have even tried to pass off some very very high end models marketed to the miltiary. ALA mark 6 an mark 8, scopes priced north of $2000 with crappy and piss poor tracking and mechanical reliability. Never mind the mark 4's and VX3's marketed to the consumers, those have tons of reliablity issues. The problem is the optics world has changed. We are asking our scopes to do far far more than we did 20 years ago. We are asking them to adjust with precision and reliability. Leupold and most rifle scopes for that matter work just fine as set it and forget it scopes. As long as you don't mess with the adjustments its likely you will be just fine with the scope. Leupold didn't realize this was a problem they needed to address. Probably because so few people actually shoot their guns and use them in a manner that exposes the flaws of the imprecise manufacture. So what has happened is more people are using their scopes like this, we have forums etc. Frankly many of us are tired of the junk they sold. So when you want to cure your scope problems and you are finally sick of wondering zeros. resetting your zero each time you go to the range. clicks that don't match the turrets. YOU BUY A NIGHTFORCE. They are legendary reliable. IMO their reputation is without equal. even compared with a company like S&B,which on snipers hide there have been complaints even with them. NO ONE complains about nightforce. I have simply never heard of a bonifide issue with one and that mirrors what I have seen.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I bought a lifetime supply of ‘70’s and ‘80’s Leupolds when they were still readily available. Still using them.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole

If I was Leupold, I'd be looking at how much of the market they've lost.

And I'd disagree about "having no place on a trim hunting rifle." It all depends on the application, and reliability/duraability translates into a little more weight, weight that's best trimmed from other parts of the rifle for certain applications.

Yup

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I doubt anything has happened to them. What you read here may, or may not, reflect the overall industry and sales.

1) More shooters dialing scopes and finding out some percentage don’t give you exactly what you ask for.
2) The internet allows one persons experience to be read by thousands.
3) People have tried other scopes such as NF and found they dial precisely.
4) see #2

I’ve had a few Leupolds with mixed results. Glass, eye box, weight, reticles and look are all great. Made in US of A, great. I’ve had one die, albeit it made it over a thousand rounds. More than I can say for two Meoptas and one Vortex on that rifle. I’ve had one with dials that may as well have been random number generators. It seemed to hold zero, but getting it there was an adventure. And, I’ve had one that was just fine for the few hundred rounds I used it. Hardly a statistical sample, but enough frustrations to lead me to try other scopes.

If they wanted to attract me back, they would convince me they have revised their internal design to be repeatable and durable. I want a reliable sight, period. I don’t want to wonder whether the thousand or so shots prior to the season have taken a toll. I want to believe I have a scope that will, within reason, hold zero if it gets dropped. If they can keep the weight down, maintain the quality of glass, friendly eye box that’s icing on the cake.

Last edited by prm; 05/17/19.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had one with dials that may as well have been random number generators. It seemed to hold zero, but getting it there was an adventure.

That's pretty funny!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,311
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.